Chat Forum
It is currently Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:36 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1227 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31
 Post subject: Re: Women's Rugby thread
PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:26 pm 

Nieghorn wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:
Laurent wrote:
Nieghorn wrote:
This is my impression of an England women's back: ahem ... "Hey, forwards. How's about letting us score a try?"

The Scarratt cut-back looked good, Dow's should have been scored earlier, but the FB hogged it and then slipped over... but 7 pushover tries (or thereabouts, so far) ... bo-ring!

They would not try that against the French (Flat track orketes...)

Indeed. Which makes you think, what are England doing with their professional time? They seem to be intent on compounding the tactic that The Black Fern's ripped them apart on and come a world cup all teams contending get time to close the gap as they give up their lives to put time into getting physically up to speed. The long England are professional the less them seem to focus on the area that time together can increase, running the ball through the hands and through the backs.

And it's not like they don't have talent out there! I think even NZ don't have the quality you get in Breach, Dow, Thompson (McKenna has issues, imo, but is no slouch!). Best outside centre. Good inside centres. Quality halfbacks to move the ball out ... :?

That's what makes it so amazingly myopic. It seems England coaches/players aren't willing to push themselves outside their comfort zones to create a better team and style of play. England currently have insane depth and an insane quality of talent in their young players, following on from a generation who won a world cup. It should really be the female equivalent of New Zealand 2005-2017 era.

I think part of the problem is the players slight joy and obsession with growing the game/pleasing the crowds. They have never played with such frequently in front of big crowds, new fans, inspiring loads of girls, that pleasing them to ensure "they are inspired" (which has been a bit of a tired some trope in the UK since the 2012 Olympics) that it diverts their focus, and winning for their home crowds becomes too important to them, so they resort to tried and tested methods.

It's not helped that British media always bring up "inspiring a generation", "inspiring girls to take up sport" and stuff like that to women's sport. You won't see those types of questions in men's football in a post match interview. It adds a new weight that female athletes end up with responsibilities that their male equivalents won't feel during a match.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:25 am 

:shock:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:24 am 

Roughly just like their win over Hong Kong in the RWC.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:38 pm 

I saw the other week Wales played their first ever Rugby League test, beating England 24-20 (not their first choice side) after warm-up vs England teachers where they lost. The Welsh 3 Rafiuke Taylor has some wheels on her:

https://twitter.com/BBCSportWales/statu ... 4829108225

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-leagu ... name=wales

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:07 am 

The Wales women vs Barbarians will be on SC4 at 11:45am

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p07v6y0d

https://www.s4c.cymru/clic/

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:19 am 

eldanielfire wrote:

.....and helpful to no one!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:30 pm 

SaintK wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:

.....and helpful to no one!

Agreed.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:34 pm 

Quins :lol:

Throwing away a 24 point lead after 39 at home against Sarries to lose by 6

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 12:16 am 

Plastic Sarrie wrote:
Quins :lol:

Throwing away a 24 point lead after 39 at home against Sarries to lose by 6

Not for the first time they have done something similar against sarries.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:56 pm 

I'm not sure if I can link, but 1st XV Rugby (NZ) on facebook has some big hit highlights from the recent schools 7s... some of those girls smack their opponents hard! (Two poor Canadians are recipients :? )

Second video down at the moment: https://www.facebook.com/1stXVrugby/

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 3:30 pm 

Finally got around to watching Quins v Sarries. I think I've finally got to admit that women's rugby at this level (and above) has become as predictably smash-mouth as the men's. :(

There were a couple of nice tries (one each, I think) that saw the ball moved through the hands, but the majority were from pick and goes. I was hoping to at least see backs advance the ball up to the red zone (Quins did have a few tasty runs out wide in the first half) but territory was mostly gained by penalties and kicks to the corner. I'm tempted to go back and count how many times centres touch the ball.

It's a shame there was no TMO for it, because I think Quins might have been robbed of a try after touching down a grubbered ball on pen advantage. I lost sympathy when they utterly botched the final play by running into contact when they showed great handling in the first half.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 3:33 pm 

Nieghorn wrote:
Finally got around to watching Quins v Sarries. I think I've finally got to admit that women's rugby at this level (and above) has become as predictably smash-mouth as the men's. :(

To be fair, it's been Qinns style for years. Sarries are the only team (Bar Hartpury and Bristol) who can match that big pack mentality. I also think it doesn't work to play the best optimum Rugby from the women. Harlequins haven't worked out it's inefficient and keeps losing them the league. You can see form thta game where Saracens got it togtehr how much more efficient their try scoring is. However I do think the top 2 or 3 side drawing so many of the physical players together is part of the England problem. Forward dominated rugby IMO is tactically lazy Rugby as much as it's energy sapping on the pitch.

I'm watching Waterloo vs Darlington, and there's a fair amount of running rugby and Waterloo just scored a scorsher of a try:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXZQHQLWl-k

At some point England and English teams will realise that smash constantly

Quote:

There were a couple of nice tries (one each, I think) that saw the ball moved through the hands, but the majority were from pick and goes. I was hoping to at least see backs advance the ball up to the red zone (Quins did have a few tasty runs out wide in the first half) but territory was mostly gained by penalties and kicks to the corner. I'm tempted to go back and count how many times centres touch the ball.

It's a shame there was no TMO for it, because I think Quins might have been robbed of a try after touching down a grubbered ball on pen advantage. I lost sympathy when they utterly botched the final play by running into contact when they showed great handling in the first half.

Agree. But you can see my current frustrations with English rugby, it's not that it doesn't have the backs, it's that it resorts to lazy physcial rugby all of the time.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 7:15 pm 

Sadly Germany won't complete in the Euro's because their cash flow has crashed because the owner of Stade Francais who funded Germany Rugby walked out on the men, and that means no money for he women:

https://www.scrumqueens.com/news/financ ... -out-euros

Quote:

Finance crisis forces Germany out of Euros
Only three weeks ago Germany were preparing for their first game in the European Championship next month with a game against the French Army, but that all came to a shuddering halt last weekend with confirmation that they had pulled out of the tournament

Germany only returned to test rugby in 2016 after a six-year absence during which they only played sevens, despite a long history of test rugby and having a national XVs league.

The European Championship next month would have seen them compete for place in the World Cup for the first time in over a decade. However, just over a week ago suspicions that all might not be well became public when a notice about their withdrawal from the European Championship briefly appeared on the German Rugby Federation (DRV)’s webpage – only for it to disappear just as quickly. Little more was forthcoming until early last week the Spanish Federation issued a revised women’s fixture list with the German game missing, before on Friday the DRV formally told Rugby Europe that they would not be taking part.

With little information available about this sudden turn of events we asked Viv Bahlmann, one of Germany’s leading players, what had happened.

She said that that, ironically, the problems seem to have started around the time that the German men’s team was reaching new heights, playing against Samoa for a place at the 2019 World Cup. Dr. Hans-Peter Wild (the Stade Francais owner) had for many years main sponsor of the German union, but the relationship seemed to fall apart at this time, first resulting in a player strike and ultimately with the businessman walking away completely just after the Rugby World Cup Qualifying Play-Off against Samoa.

“Since then”, Bahlmann continued, “the DRV – an organisation which relies on the hard work of dedicated volunteers to function at all – has struggled to find the cash needed to let their national teams continue to participate in competitions, and the women 15s national team has probably suffered the most.

“The poor financial situation meant that the team had to withdraw from the European Championship last weekend. Warm-up games like the one last month against the French Army are mostly enabled by a sponsoring association which was formed to help women’s rugby in Germany but they could not fund an entire European Championship campaign."

The players are determined to carry on playing:

“Despite from being eliminated from the European Championship, the German national team still wants to play their friendly match against the British Army in January, which is planned since their clash last February in Aldershot (England). The women's section of the German Union (DRF – Deutsche Rugby Frauen) is now trying to raise its own funding to be made to prevent further games from being cancelled. They can be made to Verein zur Förderung des deutschen Frauenrugby

“A new management board has taken over to try to bring order and structure into the Union. It has stated that there has been no budget plan in recent years, but this is now being drawn up. The new DRV-president, Harald Hees says that only money that is available will be spent. A search for new sponsors has not taken place for years and the union now started a crowdfunding campaign to try to enable the association continue to exist at all, with members of the union asked to donate money to ensure that the men’s XVs games will still be possible.”

Meanwhile from other sources we have heard that the men’s U18 and U20 teams may also have withdrawn from competition (though this is not yet confirmed).

At Scrumqueens we are shocked, but perhaps not totally surprised, to see that a dispute that appears to relate to the organisation of the German men’s test team has impacted hardest on the women’s team – who had nothing to do with it – and that moreover the first priority of the Union is to keep the men’s team going, at the expense of pretty much all other international XVs rugby. When a financial crisis looms equality seems the first casualty.

It also seems to be an object lesson in not relying on just one source of funding, however generous.

The one positive is the determination to keep the XVs team going, even if it appears that it will now have to be self-financing. As well as the game against the British Army fixtures against Belgium and Netherlands are also planned

A shame, they were improving. 3rd best team (after Spain and The Netherlands) outside the 6 Nations.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 8:33 pm 

I ended up counting, rugby analysis being one of my hobbies ... way more '3 or more pass' plays than I thought! Most, as I say below, were to get the ball to the wing without much going down the middle.

Summary First Half:
Pick and Go: 12
Maul: 3
One Out to Forwards: 33
One Out to Backs: 11
Two Passes: 15
Three or More: 14

Summary Second Half:
Pick and Go: 27
Maul: 4
One Out to Forwards: 28
One out to Backs: 6
Two Passes: 15
Three or More: 13

Most pick and goes within 5m of goal. Almost all 3+ passes were to get the ball to the wing, often with first two receivers still behind the gainline (i.e. not 'taking the ball to the line' as Austin Healey would say). One-out to forwards most often minimal gain in territory, possibly with nearly a zero net gain over the course of a match given how many are 1m (or more) losses. Carson's big run to set up the really nice try might skew the stats! :) One pass to backs usually a kick. Two pass plays are invariably back to forward (straight pass, little line engagement), or forward to forward. Nearly half (11) of three-pass phases were to forwards and out-the-back to backs.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:23 am 

Nice article but I love the picture:

https://www.newschain.uk/beyond-the-gam ... -body-2098

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 9:00 pm 

Harlequins vs LEnster at the BIG GAME live on Twitter:

https://twitter.com/i/broadcasts/1BdGYenZwNvGX

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 8:22 pm 

On youtube now as well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vBqKEwlQxE

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 8:47 pm 

Nieghorn wrote:

I should say I'm sorry Nieg...Holly just got engaged :((

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 9:53 pm 

Ha, ha ... it's all good. I'll get over it.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 11:10 pm 

A nice little bit for Ireland's new loosehead:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/50916817

(her scrum was crushed by Wales and Quins in the 2 games I saw her ;) )

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:04 am 

Worcester vs Richmond,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9EEonBdnCg

Interesting it's world cup winner Latoya Mason who is ref. Certainly I think she does a really great job but I've not seen all the game.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:16 am 

The Wales 6 Nation squad:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:21 pm 

Looking at the squad, I'm surprised to see Sioned Harris left out. She is in great form, but the Wales squads are always looking to develop their players this past 2 years. Carys Phillips being out is also a big one. There has been a big development push and tons of talent unearthed in Wales these past few years, however I hope, soon, they start building towards a cohesive team, their team play is often exposed but gels better as the test window goes along.

It will be interesting to see the backrow, like the men Wales women are swamped with class backrowers, Lillicrap is obviously 8 and I think Beth Lewis is the outstanding 7, incredible at such a young age in fact. The battle will be for 6, the very promising Callender, the frequently excellent Butchers, Manon Johnes and Robyn Lock. Joyce is surely first choice on the wing, so Lauren Williams might be 15 and a battle for the other wing shirt. Centres will be interesting, Snowsil is surely first choice 10 so do you have Wilkins at 12 for her kicking or the other more action type centres? Pyrs is turning out to be a huge asset at prop, I think Kelsey Jones could make the 2 shirt hers.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:55 pm 

Did you see Scrum Queens wonder if there's a reason why both coach Phillips and player Phillips (his daughter) are both out? Not sure what she was implying, but could be some family issues dragging their focus away?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:43 pm 

Nieghorn wrote:
Did you see Scrum Queens wonder if there's a reason why both coach Phillips and player Phillips (his daughter) are both out? Not sure what she was implying, but could be some family issues dragging their focus away?

I wondered that. I'm not sure Scrum Queens have a finger on Welsh Rugby, They said Sioned was dropped, I doubt it. Daddy Phillips left after one game in the Autumn series, no reason given at the time. But Carys played the whole series (She was due her 50th cap) but by the end Kesley Jones was starting at hooker ans Carys wasn't in the squad for the final game against the Barbarians, I assumed it was Wales giving a great talent a start because their teams have been very inconsistently picked to support player development. Also Welsh players often can't get all the time off work for entire test windows. Who knows?

I speculated there was some beef? Carys was been playing for Worcester last week, with Sioned Harries who was player of the match. They both played well. Both aren't in the squad. Harries partner, Alex Callender is in the squad and she wished her the best on Twitter, Carys also wished 3 players the best, so I don't think there is any bad feeling and Carys is always very popular where ever she goes.

Now as far as I can tell neither Sioned nor Carys was in the Wales training camp, playing for Worcester last Saturday. Callender was however. I speculated that with the English League licences up for renewal at the end of this season both players they have been talked into helping play club through the 6 Nations, improve Worcester's results (Worcester are lots of talented youth, but little in experience) and help their review. That could be the case, with her dad not there, the decision is easier to focus in the short term on Worcester. That would be my most likely take on Carys. Sadly I have no idea about her father Rowland.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:30 pm 

Oh and Amy Evans retired form international rugby to focus on her business, she runs a gym:

https://www.wru.wales/article/amy-evans ... mens-game/

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:11 pm 

6 Nations fixtures:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1227 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31