this board is seriously slipping

As are my alma mater!

I thought that was Imperial?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:19 am 

Well done the women!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:26 am 

OB.. wrote:
Well done the women!

God that was a dire game (and I'm a supporter of women's rugby)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:37 am 

Location: The Royal Borough of Windsor and Maidenhead..Peasants..
happyhooker wrote:
OB.. wrote:
Well done the women!

Well Oxford did well so I'm happy, best bit for me was Nigels quip when someone called him sir...

"No need to call me sir, I'm from West Wales. .."

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:42 am 

With the Unions contracting less players and the Universities being encouraged to recruit more younger players to take up the slack we should see a shift upwards in the standard of the game in a year or two. For the Ikeys it remains difficult as academic requirements will continue to be stringent at UCT. We had a very good under 20 team last year and hopefully that flows through to the VC this year. Maties just have so much depth that it is difficult to see them not dominating again in 2019.

The ikeys also defending their World University Rugby Cup in Japan in 2019.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:56 am 

happyhooker wrote:
OB.. wrote:
Well done the women!

I scrolled through the match on youtube to see the score, and it did seem boring by the result. Glad I didn't bother to watch. As a supporter of women's rugby, too, I'm disappointed to see so many teams grinding it out like many men's teams do. There's more space and the defence isn't going to be as good as pros, ladies, move the ball around!

This interview was very much the opposite of what I expected from 'posh girls'... dropping f-bombs on live telly! :lol: https://youtu.be/0EMqYk2gKnI?t=6445

I didn't see the men's game, but was interested to see that George Robson, Dom Waldouck, and Ben Ransom were playing for Oxford. (Is Ransom done with pro rugby? He's only 26.) Secondly, I noticed that NONE were taking Land Economy! :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:05 pm 

Always nice to shoe the Tabs.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:41 pm 

SaintK wrote:
globus wrote:
Monk Zombie wrote:
this board is seriously slipping

As are my alma mater!

I thought that was Imperial?

Yep. Then I went to Downing. I also worked in Cambridge.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:10 pm 

Brazil wrote:
Always nice to shoe the Tabs.

Virtue triumphant.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:17 pm 

<sniff>

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:29 pm 

Nieghorn wrote:
happyhooker wrote:
OB.. wrote:
Well done the women!

I scrolled through the match on youtube to see the score, and it did seem boring by the result. Glad I didn't bother to watch. As a supporter of women's rugby, too, I'm disappointed to see so many teams grinding it out like many men's teams do. There's more space and the defence isn't going to be as good as pros, ladies, move the ball around!

This interview was very much the opposite of what I expected from 'posh girls'... dropping f-bombs on live telly! :lol: https://youtu.be/0EMqYk2gKnI?t=6445

I didn't see the men's game, but was interested to see that George Robson, Dom Waldouck, and Ben Ransom were playing for Oxford. (Is Ransom done with pro rugby? He's only 26.) Secondly, I noticed that NONE were taking Land Economy! :lol:

Ransom left LI contract early (frustrated by lack of game time). He has just started a Masters in business at Oxford and I think then looking to go into the City.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:40 pm 

It's a shame as he's a handy player with serious gas and a step. Defensive issues?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:45 pm 

Nieghorn wrote:
It's a shame as he's a handy player with serious gas and a step. Defensive issues?

Yep. Not horrendous, but you'd worry. Probably better suited to the wing at pro level. Had a very good season in 16/17 on the wing, then didn't get a look in after promotion. Could have definitely done a job again this season if he'd stuck around with Cokanasiga and Lewington gone if he'd stayed. Would have been better than a few of the options we have

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:51 pm 

Margin_Walker wrote:
Nieghorn wrote:

Yep. Not horrendous, but you'd worry. Probably better suited to the wing at pro level. Had a very good season in 16/17 on the wing, then didn't get a look in after promotion. Could have definitely done a job again this season if he'd stuck around with Cokanasiga and Lewington gone if he'd stayed. Would have been better than a few of the options we have

It's funny that the commentators mentioned his 6 years with sarries repeatedly, But I can't remember them ever mentioning LI

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:56 pm 

happyhooker wrote:
Margin_Walker wrote:
Nieghorn wrote:

It's funny that the commentators mentioned his 6 years with sarries repeatedly, But I can't remember them ever mentioning LI

TBF when he looks back on his rugby career (if indeed he is finished), he'll probably remember the Sarries stint more too. He's one of those players that probably could make it with the right conditions and a following wind. But if he's got other things going on in his life, perhaps the absolute drive isn't there on that side.

Edit - He really is talented with ball in hand. Was doing this to pro defences just 18 months ago

https://youtu.be/iWYkOdN3uZo?t=216

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:32 pm 

Nieghorn wrote:
happyhooker wrote:
OB.. wrote:
Well done the women!

After England v Australia, we stayed on to watch England Women v Ireland Women. That game was of a different class to the Varsity match, which was little better than some of the low level men's matches where I assess. Nonetheless I am happy "we" won.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:06 pm 

OB.. wrote:
Nieghorn wrote:
happyhooker wrote:
OB.. wrote:
Well done the women!

After England v Australia, we stayed on to watch England Women v Ireland Women. That game was of a different class to the Varsity match, which was little better than some of the low level men's matches where I assess. Nonetheless I am happy "we" won.

This. Oxford and Cambridge aren't even particularly good university sides. Oxford are rock bottom of their league (the Southern Premiership) with a points difference of -249 after losing 6 out of 6 games, according to BUCS. Cambridge are walking their league and are undefeated with a points difference of 315 after 7 games, but it's the league below Oxford and when they played Durham in a preseason fixture, they lost 55-0. I would expect Oxford and Cambridge to swap leagues at the end of this season, but it wouldn't at all surprise me if they just swapped again at the end of next season.

It's good for them that they've got the opportunity to play at Twickenham, like the men do, and have the game streamed and commentated, but it does worry me a bit that there will be people who watch some or all of it and think that it's what all women's rugby is like, or that because it's being streamed etc, it means it's representative of the top of the women's game.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:56 pm 

Rugbygirl wrote:
OB.. wrote:
Nieghorn wrote:
happyhooker wrote:
OB.. wrote:
Well done the women!

This. Oxford and Cambridge aren't even particularly good university sides. Oxford are rock bottom of their league (the Southern Premiership) with a points difference of -249 after losing 6 out of 6 games, according to BUCS. Cambridge are walking their league and are undefeated with a points difference of 315 after 7 games, but it's the league below Oxford and when they played Durham in a preseason fixture, they lost 55-0. I would expect Oxford and Cambridge to swap leagues at the end of this season, but it wouldn't at all surprise me if they just swapped again at the end of next season.

It's good for them that they've got the opportunity to play at Twickenham, like the men do, and have the game streamed and commentated, but it does worry me a bit that there will be people who watch some or all of it and think that it's what all women's rugby is like, or that because it's being streamed etc, it means it's representative of the top of the women's game.

I suppose one of the issues of he women's game, a sport in transition right now, is most University players are literally brand new to the game. University is still the place where most girls get the opportunity to play rugby, or play more than tag rugby. Sure that is changing rapidly with lots of girls teams being established now (I think the RFU a year back committed £10 million to 300 new female teams) but I suspect some of the Oxford and Cambridge teams only picked up the game at Uni or college.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:45 pm 

I played for Christs cambridge :P

It's the first year in memory our club haven't had a day out at varsity- zero interest.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:54 pm 

eldanielfire wrote:
Rugbygirl wrote:
OB.. wrote:
Nieghorn wrote:
happyhooker wrote:

I suppose one of the issues of he women's game, a sport in transition right now, is most University players are literally brand new to the game. University is still the place where most girls get the opportunity to play rugby, or play more than tag rugby. Sure that is changing rapidly with lots of girls teams being established now (I think the RFU a year back committed £10 million to 300 new female teams) but I suspect some of the Oxford and Cambridge teams only picked up the game at Uni or college.

Definitely. Other than netball and lacrosse, most girls at Ox really only take up a sport for the first time at uni. Oxbridge is great for that because of the college system, so anyone can play if they want to. I know for a fact that lots of the girls out there yesterday are undergrads who had taken it up 2-3 years ago. The quality was undoubtedly pretty poor (and we lost :(( ) but it is great to see them get the representation.

Regardless, the quality was more than made up for by the men's match which was fantastic - and getting pissed at Twickers obviously improves the enjoyment too :thumbup:

It was also odd to see Ben Ransom playing rugby with a couple of people I know, when I'd last seen him playing live (at Twickers) in the London Double Header for Sarries

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:04 am 

HurricaneWasp wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:
Rugbygirl wrote:
OB.. wrote:

Definitely. Other than netball and lacrosse, most girls at Ox really only take up a sport for the first time at uni. Oxbridge is great for that because of the college system, so anyone can play if they want to. I know for a fact that lots of the girls out there yesterday are undergrads who had taken it up 2-3 years ago. The quality was undoubtedly pretty poor (and we lost :(( ) but it is great to see them get the representation.

Good for them, but it’s the same at other universities with better teams. Places like Durham and Exeter will both have a significant proportion of their team who only took up rugby at university- both are pretty traditionally academic and will require certain grades to get in, precluding them from recruiting just anyone who can play rugby a bit. The difference is that whilst they almost certainly have better recruitment, yes, they also have better development systems including, importantly, 2nd XVs competing in BUCS. Which Oxbridge don’t, in spite of having a college system which should encourage participation. Basically the argument that Oxford and Cambridge have got a load of players who only started playing a couple of years ago doesn’t wash. They aren’t the only ones and, frankly, they should still be doing much better because, particularly given the exposure playing at Twickenham every year and having the matches streamed gives, they shouldn’t be stuck for cash, and therefore resources. Because of the Varsity, they should be in a better position than most other universities who aren’t effectively sports academies. I’m not begrudging them their day out, I think it’s great that they’re getting the representation, but it doesn’t look like they’re actually doing a whole lot with it, which is what’s frustrating. Like I said, my main concern is that people will see the Oxford Cambridge women’s Varsity and think that’s what top-level women’s rugby looks like because it’s being streamed and getting coverage. Unfair? Yes, but it’s sadly how women’s sport is still often judged by far too many people.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:24 am 

:thumbup: Cheers for the insight.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:36 am 

Rugbygirl wrote:
Good for them, but it’s the same at other universities with better teams. Places like Durham and Exeter will both have a significant proportion of their team who only took up rugby at university- both are pretty traditionally academic and will require certain grades to get in, precluding them from recruiting just anyone who can play rugby a bit. The difference is that whilst they almost certainly have better recruitment, yes, they also have better development systems including, importantly, 2nd XVs competing in BUCS. Which Oxbridge don’t, in spite of having a college system which should encourage participation. Basically the argument that Oxford and Cambridge have got a load of players who only started playing a couple of years ago doesn’t wash. They aren’t the only ones and, frankly, they should still be doing much better because, particularly given the exposure playing at Twickenham every year and having the matches streamed gives, they shouldn’t be stuck for cash, and therefore resources. Because of the Varsity, they should be in a better position than most other universities who aren’t effectively sports academies. I’m not begrudging them their day out, I think it’s great that they’re getting the representation, but it doesn’t look like they’re actually doing a whole lot with it, which is what’s frustrating. Like I said, my main concern is that people will see the Oxford Cambridge women’s Varsity and think that’s what top-level women’s rugby looks like because it’s being streamed and getting coverage. Unfair? Yes, but it’s sadly how women’s sport is still often judged by far too many people.

All great points well made. I must say, given the exposure of the boat race, I'm surprised a bit more hasn't been put into their female rugby programs, given they hire Twickenham which can't be cheap.

Why aren't they competitiong in BUCS I wonder?

On a side note I wish the regular streams of BUCS games this season included women's teams as well.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:44 am 

globus wrote:
<sniff>

Quite mad.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:56 am 

slick wrote:
globus wrote:
<sniff>

Quite mad.

Just inventive.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:58 am 

DragsterDriver wrote:

It's the first year in memory our club haven't had a day out at varsity- zero interest.

I wonder how much longer they'll keep it at Twickenham, the crowds don't justify it anymore.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:18 pm 

Brazil wrote:
DragsterDriver wrote:

I wonder how much longer they'll keep it at Twickenham, the crowds don't justify it anymore.

I'd b happy to go, but Thursday lunchtime is hardly conductive to attendance at a sports event. Ex-Oxbridge types I know don't go if only for work. But many of us will go, when we can to Army vs Navy.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:23 pm 

globus wrote:
slick wrote:
globus wrote:
<sniff>

Quite mad.

Just inventive.

Yes

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:30 pm 

Brazil wrote:
DragsterDriver wrote:

I don’t go because the journey is too painful- but there’s usually 25-30 people attending, although club rugby seems to be suffering a general malaise.