Chat Forum
It is currently Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:06 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2826 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57 ... 71  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:43 am 

Brumby_in_Vic wrote:
Woakes in doubt with a side strain. Would like to see Jake Ball come back in for a second chance.

Err... no thanks. It'll be Curran - he's a bit under-paced but he's got a good ticker. Unless they gamble on Wood - but that's be a lot of gambles in the bowling department.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:51 am 

Wood's not particularly good. No idea why they keep gambling on him. It's not like he's early days Finn or Simon Jones.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:06 am 

JM2K6 wrote:
Wood's not particularly good. No idea why they keep gambling on him. It's not like he's early days Finn or Simon Jones.

Before he was injured, a year or so ago, he actually looked like he might have cracked it* - but he's not looked anywhere near test uality since - or before.

* this is just an observation - I haven't done a ball by ball statistical analysis :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:10 am 

:lol:

I'm feeling a bit sore that having slagged off Moeen as a useless limited overs player but with the caveat that he's worth his place as a Test player without doubt that he's gone and shit the bed... but it IS Australia, and he was always going to struggle...

I've said similar things about Wood in limited overs, where he's proper rubbish, but frankly I haven't seen what he brings beyond pace at Test level either :(

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:21 am 

Aussie press is suggesting that Moeen may get selected due to Woakes injury. Just can't see Woakes playing with a side strain with the tour to NZ coming up.

Don't know much about Crane. Has he bowled since he went for over 7.6 an over against the Aussie Dev XI?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:25 am 

JM2K6 wrote:
:lol:

I'm feeling a bit sore that having slagged off Moeen as a useless limited overs player but with the caveat that he's worth his place as a Test player without doubt that he's gone and shit the bed... but it IS Australia, and he was always going to struggle...

I've said similar things about Wood in limited overs, where he's proper rubbish, but frankly I haven't seen what he brings beyond pace at Test level either :(

Seems almost certain that Ali will get a reprieve. His bowling has been terrible and his batting almost as bad. It's a shame because I've a lot of time for him - and he was bowling beautifully in the summer. He's another that has suffered from a lack of prep - not helped by getting an injury that stopped in bowling in the lead up to the tests.

Hope it doesn't prove to be too soon for Crane - he's a strong character but he'll need to be because he'll go for a few.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:33 am 

Ali had to score good runs as any wickets he got in Australia are a bonus. The only overseas off spinner I have seen bowl well in Australia was Saqlain that was when he brought out the doosra.

Even with his massive improvement and big hauls last year Lyon still averages in the early 30s.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:39 am 

Swann did well in 2010. That road in the first test hurt his average but he had several decent returns.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:40 am 

Brumby_in_Vic wrote:
Ali had to score good runs as any wickets he got in Australia are a bonus. The only overseas off spinner I have seen bowl well in Australia was Saqlain that was when he brought out the doosra.

Even with his massive improvement and big hauls last year Lyon still averages in the early 30s.

I was always a bit concerned that his batting would be a bit frail against a genuinely quick trio of bowlers. He's great to watch but he isn't blessed with much grit. Needs to man up a bit when the going gets tough.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:55 am 

Ellafan wrote:
Quote:
English test pitches don't get doctored - the natural conditions are what suits England

Clearly I'm older than you.

Headingly used to be a good deck for the fast men. In 1989, Au went in with 4 pacemen - Alderman, Rackemann, Hughes and Campbell.

Now please get your head out of the sand, your curators set them up to suit these days.

While they're not as bad as the Indian's though, they cheat. The last lot of ashes pitches were, in general terms, a bit of a joke. If you like I can go back through the archives and find the articles about Sophia Gardens.

Rackemann didn’t play in any tests on the 89 tour.
Our wickets have been roads for years. Once again there is speculation about playing two spinners in Sydney-a wicket that’s hardly turned in the last decade.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:01 am 

ovalball wrote:
Brumby_in_Vic wrote:

I was always a bit concerned that his batting would be a bit frail against a genuinely quick trio of bowlers. He's great to watch but he isn't blessed with much grit. Needs to man up a bit when the going gets tough.

It's more how he gets out. He plays some nice shots than he does something stupid. England needed a batsman on this tour who could bat with the tail when it mattered and Moeen should have played that role.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:57 am 

rett wrote:
Ellafan wrote:
Quote:
English test pitches don't get doctored - the natural conditions are what suits England

Clearly I'm older than you.

Headingly used to be a good deck for the fast men. In 1989, Au went in with 4 pacemen - Alderman, Rackemann, Hughes and Campbell.

Now please get your head out of the sand, your curators set them up to suit these days.

While they're not as bad as the Indian's though, they cheat. The last lot of ashes pitches were, in general terms, a bit of a joke. If you like I can go back through the archives and find the articles about Sophia Gardens.

Rackemann didn’t play in any tests on the 89 tour.
Our wickets have been roads for years. Once again there is speculation about playing two spinners in Sydney-a wicket that’s hardly turned in the last decade.

Smith said today they will go one spinner. Another flat wicket that plays like carpet maybe? Shame, its nice to see spinners going each end from time to time.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:27 am 

Brumby_in_Vic wrote:
Aussie press is suggesting that Moeen may get selected due to Woakes injury. Just can't see Woakes playing with a side strain with the tour to NZ coming up.

Don't know much about Crane. Has he bowled since he went for over 7.6 an over against the Aussie Dev XI?

The Aussies are trying to talk Crane into the side. He will get slaughtered, all new leg spinners do. Warne is a classic example. The Indians, in particular, absolutely annihilated him. But he learnt from it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:36 am 

Quote:
Smith said today they will go one spinner. Another flat wicket that plays like carpet maybe?

He said that there is a bit of grass on the wicket. Unfortunately it can't be used as bait to get an under done Wood or Jake Ball in to the England team as they are entitled to look out the pitch.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:48 am 

wamberal99 wrote:
Brumby_in_Vic wrote:

The Aussies are trying to talk Crane into the side. He will get slaughtered, all new leg spinners do. Warne is a classic example. The Indians, in particular, absolutely annihilated him. But he learnt from it.

Whatever England do now, the side is going to be very unbalanced and have a really long tail. Moeen at 7, scoring no runs, and then bowlers the rest of the way down including 2 rookies.

And, with just 3 pacemen, of which one is a rookie, a rookie leggie and Ali way out of sorts - we could end up with just 3 'usable' bowlers. God help us if one of them breaks down.

I suspect that it's going to be lambs to the slaughter in this one - a very one sided and heavy defeat.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:15 am 

I see Warner had a go at Graeme Swann on Twitter, but Swann gave back as good as he got.

https://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/cricket/100314515/david-warner-takes-sledging-to-new-low-with-attack-on-english-tv-commentator

The heat really has gone out of the series if a retired Englishman's commentary is now the pre-game target. Compared to the Channel Nine team, I think the BBL commentary is pretty good - at least they don't take themselves too seriously.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:10 am 

Location: End of the road, turn right and first house on the left
Not really a "new low" though, was it? Just a little dig in my opinion

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:12 am 

Enzedder wrote:

It's Stuff.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:17 am 

Enzedder wrote:

I think it's a low due to it being about a commentator, not a player. But I'm sure Warner can go lower. Ghastly person/

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:11 am 

Crane in for Woakes, confirmed as the only change for England. That looks like our weakest batting line up since the 90s.

Bit concerning that Crane's 1st class bowling average is 44 - he's not exactly forced his way into the side. Would love to see him do well though - he's an exciting talent but I wouldn't expect too much of him at this stage.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:36 am 

Bindi wrote:
Simple statements of fact from Lyons. Johnson destroyed England utterly last Ashes in Oz. Don't see how that's controversial.

Quote:
Asked if he thought Australia could end England careers again, Lyon said: "I hope so. I didn't end any careers. Mitchell Johnson ended them.
Johnson's 37 Ashes wickets in 2013-14

"If you ask him he'll say it was quite satisfying if you look at his past, the pressures the English put him under with the Barmy Army and everything.

"I know Root got dropped last time when he was here, so it'd be good to get him dropped again wouldn't it? If we can start by opening up that crack, it's pretty crucial.

Nostradamus?

Quote:
LYON’S CAREER-ENDING PREDICTION

NATHAN Lyon raised eyebrows in the northern hemisphere with a bold pre-series barb that he hoped Australia could “end some careers” this summer.

Lyon caused an uproar when he suggested former England wicketkeeper Matt Prior was “scared” in the face of Mitchell Johnson’s pace barrage, and pointed to the trio of Jonathan Trott, Graeme Swan and Kevin Pietersen — who all had the end of their careers hastened by the 2013-14 whitewash — as something Australia wanted to replicate this summer.

And Fox Sports commentator Brett Geeves reckons Lyon’s hit the nail on the head in one way, except that it hasn’t come about because of Australia’s pace battalion.

It’s been Lyon himself.

And the bloke whose reputation has taken a massive hit was impressive all-rounder Moeen Ali, who has struggled mightily in Australia and seems odds-on to lose his spot for the fifth and final Ashes Test starting in Sydney on Thursday.

“Was it Nathan Lyon who spoke about ending careers before the Test? There was some back and forward between him and Matt Prior,” Geeves told the Fox Sports Cricket podcast.

“I think Nathan Lyon has ended Moeen Ali’s career. Seriously, I’ve not seen a man so bereft of confidence. He is lost. He looks like a child playing.

“His innings at the MCG was good at the start. He came out blazing and got himself to 20 and had a real opportunity to actually ride that confidence and create something.

“Instead, there was a real lack of maturity. He tried to hit a six over cover. It was just insane batting.

“His bowling has been really poor. He’s got to go and Crane has to play. Moeen Ali is going to be a really interesting one to watch moving forward. Nathan Lyon called, he was out to end careers.”

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:50 am 

Bindi wrote:
Bindi wrote:
Simple statements of fact from Lyons. Johnson destroyed England utterly last Ashes in Oz. Don't see how that's controversial.

Quote:
Asked if he thought Australia could end England careers again, Lyon said: "I hope so. I didn't end any careers. Mitchell Johnson ended them.
Johnson's 37 Ashes wickets in 2013-14

"If you ask him he'll say it was quite satisfying if you look at his past, the pressures the English put him under with the Barmy Army and everything.

"I know Root got dropped last time when he was here, so it'd be good to get him dropped again wouldn't it? If we can start by opening up that crack, it's pretty crucial.

Nostradamus?

Quote:
LYON’S CAREER-ENDING PREDICTION

NATHAN Lyon raised eyebrows in the northern hemisphere with a bold pre-series barb that he hoped Australia could “end some careers” this summer.

Lyon caused an uproar when he suggested former England wicketkeeper Matt Prior was “scared” in the face of Mitchell Johnson’s pace barrage, and pointed to the trio of Jonathan Trott, Graeme Swan and Kevin Pietersen — who all had the end of their careers hastened by the 2013-14 whitewash — as something Australia wanted to replicate this summer.

And Fox Sports commentator Brett Geeves reckons Lyon’s hit the nail on the head in one way, except that it hasn’t come about because of Australia’s pace battalion.

It’s been Lyon himself.

And the bloke whose reputation has taken a massive hit was impressive all-rounder Moeen Ali, who has struggled mightily in Australia and seems odds-on to lose his spot for the fifth and final Ashes Test starting in Sydney on Thursday.

“Was it Nathan Lyon who spoke about ending careers before the Test? There was some back and forward between him and Matt Prior,” Geeves told the Fox Sports Cricket podcast.

“I think Nathan Lyon has ended Moeen Ali’s career. Seriously, I’ve not seen a man so bereft of confidence. He is lost. He looks like a child playing.

“His innings at the MCG was good at the start. He came out blazing and got himself to 20 and had a real opportunity to actually ride that confidence and create something.

“Instead, there was a real lack of maturity. He tried to hit a six over cover. It was just insane batting.

“His bowling has been really poor. He’s got to go and Crane has to play. Moeen Ali is going to be a really interesting one to watch moving forward. Nathan Lyon called, he was out to end careers.”

What tosh. Ali has been pants - but it is extremely unlikely to have finished his test career. He'll be in the test side in the summer.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:04 am 

Brett Geeves is the worst. Got a ginormous chip about not getting picked for Australia and spends his entire time writing these Extremely Internet pieces about selection injustices.

Ali's had an absolute shocker, but he isn't the first and he won't be the last. Looks like he came in underdone, and it's not exactly the time and place to be finding form. He's the sort of player selectors will always give one more shot to than they should, rather than one too few.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:09 am 

ovalball wrote:
Crane in for Woakes, confirmed as the only change for England. That looks like our weakest batting line up since the 90s.

Bit concerning that Crane's 1st class bowling average is 44 - he's not exactly forced his way into the side. Would love to see him do well though - he's an exciting talent but I wouldn't expect too much of him at this stage.

That is... Yikes. Still, this isn't exactly an Australian side known for dealing with the spinning ball. If he can get things moving he could do more damage than you expect. Any leg spinner appearing on the scene is good news though. There's some Afghan kid in the BBL who looks like he could be the real deal.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:10 am 

Dumbledore wrote:
Brett Geeves is the worst. Got a ginormous chip about not getting picked for Australia and spends his entire time writing these Extremely Internet pieces about selection injustices.

Ali's had an absolute shocker, but he isn't the first and he won't be the last. Looks like he came in underdone, and it's not exactly the time and place to be finding form. He's the sort of player selectors will always give one more shot to than they should, rather than one too few.

Yeah, he'll be back. This undeniably bad series comes just after an absolutely amazing summer, so it's not like he came in after a year of failures.

This is from a piece in the Independent...

Quote:
The first thing to say is that Australia is no place for a visiting off-spinner. Even the best of them have struggled here: Graeme Swann averaged 53. Ravi Ashwin 55, Harbhajan Singh (who tormented Australia in home conditions) 73, Muttiah Muralitharan 75, Saeed Ajmal 111.

Was always going to be tough for him bowling off spin, and he prefers the lack of pressure batting down the order. Stokes really screwed Moeen and England with his pissed up brawling.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:48 am 

Quote:

In the 90s you still had players like Gooch, Athers, Robin Smith, Allan Lamb, Hussain, Stewart.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:56 am 

Brumby_in_Vic wrote:
Quote:

In the 90s you still had players like Gooch, Athers, Robin Smith, Allan Lamb, Hussain, Stewart.

Yes, but we could also sometimes put together batting lineups that included such luminous batting talents as Devon 'the glasses, they do nothing' Malcolm, Phil 'what end should I hold' Tufnell, Peter 'back away to leg' Such, Alan 'giraffe-human-hybrid' Mullaly...a joyous time for those of us who like our tailenders to be proper rabbits.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:37 pm 

penguin wrote:
Dumbledore wrote:

Yeah, he'll be back. This undeniably bad series comes just after an absolutely amazing summer, so it's not like he came in after a year of failures.

An amazing summer ???? These are Ali's stats in the 3 tests against a piss poor West Indies

First Test - Batting 0 \ DNB - Bowling 1-18 and 2-54
Second Test - Batting 22 \ 84 - Bowling 0-84 and 2-76
Third Test - Batting 3 \ DNB - Bowling 0-13 and 0-6

So a batting average of 27.25 and a bowling average of 50.2

Yes; he did well against South Africa earlier in the summer but that has been the exception rather than the norm for Ali given his performances in Bangladesh and India before that. He just isn't good enough with bat or ball for Test cricket.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:53 pm 

BetterByBoat wrote:
penguin wrote:
Dumbledore wrote:

An amazing summer ???? These are Ali's stats in the 3 tests against a piss poor West Indies

Yes; he did well against South Africa earlier in the summer but that has been the exception rather than the norm for Ali given his performances in Bangladesh and India before that. He just isn't good enough with bat or ball for Test cricket.

Lies, damn lies, and all that...by most people's reckoning (and including ODIs too) he was having a great summer. Cherry picking the stats to back your version of events can certainly lead you to conclude he's not up to it, if that's what you want to do.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:21 pm 

penguin wrote:
Brumby_in_Vic wrote:
Quote:

Yes, but we could also sometimes put together batting lineups that included such luminous batting talents as Devon 'the glasses, they do nothing' Malcolm, Phil 'what end should I hold' Tufnell, Peter 'back away to leg' Such, Alan 'giraffe-human-hybrid' Mullaly...a joyous time for those of us who like our tailenders to be proper rabbits.

Back then most tailenders were bunnies, sloggers or both.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:27 pm 

BetterByBoat wrote:
penguin wrote:
Dumbledore wrote:

When did he injure his spinning finger? Before or after the WI tests?

My understanding is that the finger has meant that he cannot get the revs on the ball.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:54 pm 

Rinkals wrote:
BetterByBoat wrote:
penguin wrote:
Dumbledore wrote:

When did he injure his spinning finger? Before or after the WI tests?

My understanding is that the finger has meant that he cannot get the revs on the ball.

After.

But he's been declared fully fit. It definitely mucked up his prep for this series - there's been no word from the camp that he is still struggling with the injury.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:59 pm 

penguin wrote:
BetterByBoat wrote:
penguin wrote:
Dumbledore wrote:

Lies, damn lies, and all that...by most people's reckoning (and including ODIs too) he was having a great summer. Cherry picking the stats to back your version of events can certainly lead you to conclude he's not up to it, if that's what you want to do.

He had a great summer of test cricket against South Africa. Before that in Bangladesh and India he was poor. After that against West Indies and Australia he has been poor. His overall test record isn't great. I'd have in my one day team at the moment but at Test level he just doesn't make the grade. He seems like a lovely bloke and good luck to him. But I'd prefer a team picked on ability.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:39 pm 

There's a kind of mass amnesia in English cricket at the moment when it comes to how poor we've been in Test series for some time.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:40 pm 

JM2K6 wrote:
There's a kind of mass amnesia in English cricket at the moment when it comes to how poor we've been in Test series for some time.

Presumably you mean away test series?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:12 pm 

Some solid rain early this morning and showers predicted through the day so could be an interrupted day's play.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:20 pm 

grievous wrote:
Some solid rain early this morning and showers predicted through the day so could be an interrupted day's play.

Still have to bat 1st if we win the toss - no point in having the extra spinner if we can't make them bat last.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:44 pm 

Mahoney wrote:
JM2K6 wrote:

England did lose a home test to the West Indies and based on their performances in NZ, that takes some doing.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:47 pm 

JB1981 wrote:
Mahoney wrote:
JM2K6 wrote:

England did lose a home test to the West Indies and based on their performances in NZ, that takes some doing.

Yeah, but that was, largely, down to a stupid declaration.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:18 am 

Play delayed

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2826 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57 ... 71  Next