It is currently Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:53 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Which do you prefer?
Witchdoctor 42%  42%  [ 5 ]
Medical doctor 33%  33%  [ 4 ]
Gavin the doctor 25%  25%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 12
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:34 am 

There’s an interesting addition to the England’s backroom team.

Those lady spirits sound nasty.

Quote:
Manu Tuilagi: 'I saw a witchdoctor to fix the injuries hospitals cannot cure'

Manu Tuilagi has been to Samoa to see a witchdoctor

Ben Coles
8 NOVEMBER 2017 • 10:00 PM
Manu Tuilagi has revealed that he visited a witchdoctor back in Samoa last week in a bid to end the nightmare run of injuries that have recently plagued his career.

The Leicester Tigers centre suffered a left knee injury in the first game of the season at home to Bath, sidelining him until December.

Speaking ahead of BT Sport’s Rugby Tonight, Tuilagi revealed that he visited the witchdoctor over four days on the island of ‘Upolu.

“That's why I went home, just for that,” said Tuilagi. “I saw the witchdoctor for four days - two hours a day. It's a spiritual thing. My mum spoke to her and asked for her help. Before I got out there she had found out what the illness was.

“Then when I went out there she massaged my whole body. All I needed was a towel and a Fijian oil. The witchdoctor was half Fijian and half Samoan and she found out that there were three lady spirits who had married themselves onto me for the last three years.

Tuilagi was earlier ruled out for seven months in January after injuring his right knee, and has not appeared in a Test for England since 2014 having also suffered injuries to his chest and groin.

“The witchdoctor said that was why I had been injured,” Tuilagi explained. “The spirits wanted me for themselves - they wanted to punish me and that was the way to do it. Every time I played - bang!

Tuilagi was ruled out for seven months after getting injured playing for Leicester in January
Tuilagi was ruled out for seven months after getting injured playing for Leicester in January CREDIT: PA
“Instead of beating my physically they made sure I was injured. But that is gone now and that is why I had the whole body massages - to block the spirits from me.

“They can't see and find me now - but maybe when it comes out in the newspaper they will know again?!

“This is the first time I have done it. The witchdoctors are there for the illnesses that the hospitals can't cure.”

Tuilagi agreed the witchdoctor visit with Leicester head coach Matt O’Connor and club physio Ed Hollis, continuing his rehab from the left knee strain while back in Samoa.

His brother Alesana, a former Samoa international who made over 100 appearances for Leicester, was tasked with accompanying Manu throughout the process.

“I did my program, pilates, physio, rehab which I would do after seeing the witchdoctor,” added Tuilagi.

“The witchdoctor was on a different island called ‘Upolu. My island is Savai’i. I'd get the ferry, which is about an hour, and visited the witchdoctor from Monday to Thursday with my brother Alex.

Tuilagi has had plenty of problems with injury
Tuilagi has had plenty of problems with injury CREDIT: GETTY IMAGES
“The conditions of the treatment meant I wasn't able to go anywhere on my own. I was always with my brother Alex and his family.

“I wasn't allowed to sleep in the room by myself so me and Alex set up a little camp in the living room in front of the TV.

“In most of these cases back home, the girls end up taking their victims alive and will never be seen. There are male spirits too, but the witchdoctor said I was too handsome!”

Tuilagi also endorsed Mako Vunipola’s proposal for the England matchday squad to donate £1,000 to the Samoan players, after the Samoan president Tuilaepa Aiono Sailele Malielegaoi announced on Wednesday that the Samoan Rugby Union was facing bankruptcy.

“Mako Vunipola’s suggestion for the England players to donate £1,000 each is very good, Tuilagi enthused. “The money would go straight to the players, instead of to the Samoan Rugby Union, because if that happened it would be the exact same thing as before. The players will not see a penny.

“The issue is the people who are running the game in Samoa, across the islands. The problem is internal. If we are given money [now] then the problem will still be there. “It has saddened me to hear about it. We need change, people who can manage and run the SRU. A mixture of the home nations and people from World Rugby.”

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:41 am 

Is it April 1st in Samoa ?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:14 am 

Leinster in London wrote:

Wonder what Rob Andrew thinks of it all.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:25 am 

https://youtu.be/YV78vobCyIo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:31 am 

Probably no worse than other pseudoscience peddlers that 'high performance' athletics groups employ...

Last edited by Nieghorn on Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:33 am 

YOYO wrote:
Leinster in London wrote:

Wonder what Rob Andrew thinks of it all.

And Glenn Hoddle.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:14 am 

It worked for Naholo.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:58 am 

The Native wrote:
It worked for Naholo.

that guy only used herbal medicines on him, not some bullshit about being cursed lol

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:06 am 

The Native wrote:
It worked for Naholo.

Not sure if serious.
his recovery was at the lower end of the normal range for recovery without treatment.
He also didn't look completely healed when he went back.

I don't doubt herbal medicine can be effective, but I wouldn't use this case to prove anything.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:30 am 

Quote:
“In most of these cases back home, the girls end up taking their victims alive and will never be seen."

:uhoh:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:42 am 

Quote:
They can't see and find me now - but maybe when it comes out in the newspaper they will know again?!

Do spirits read newspapers?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:52 am 

He's not really an England player at this point tbh. He's barely a Leicester Tigers player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:23 am 

Chuckles1188 wrote:
He's not really an England player at this point tbh. He's barely a Leicester Tigers player

Or very English...
KG

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:43 am 

Quote:
Tuilagi agreed the witchdoctor visit with Leicester head coach Matt O’Connor and club physio Ed Hollis,

They obviously didn't see any harm in it and maybe even thought it might do him some good if he believes it will help. The placebo effect definitely exists, even if its efficacy is dubious

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:50 am 

Nieghorn wrote:
Probably no worse than other pseudoscience peddlers that 'high performance' athletics groups employ...

Yes it's really no different to visiting the chiropractor, the osteopath, the homeopath, the "functional neurologist", using cupping, acupuncture, cranial sacral massage or any other middle class witchery that has become popular these days

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:39 am 

All sounds very reasonable to me

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:54 am 

Great to see traditional English remedies being used

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:55 am 

deadduck wrote:
Nieghorn wrote:

Yes it's really no different to visiting the chiropractor, the osteopath, the homeopath, the "functional neurologist", using cupping, acupuncture, cranial sacral massage or any other middle class witchery that has become popular these days

Acupuncture eh? Oesteopath eh?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:58 am 

bimboman wrote:
deadduck wrote:
Nieghorn wrote:

Oh dear Bimbo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:03 am 

Duff Paddy wrote:
bimboman wrote:
deadduck wrote:
Nieghorn wrote:

Oh dear Bimbo

Well both work Duff. I'm not sure people know what an oesteopath actually does.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:12 am 

bimboman wrote:
Duff Paddy wrote:
bimboman wrote:
deadduck wrote:
Nieghorn wrote:

Oh dear Bimbo

When you say that they both work, what exactly do they do?
And how does that compare to how they claim to work?

As that's the key difference between an alternative treatment that seems to have benefits, and something that is credible medical science.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:17 am 

Quote:

As that's the key difference between an alternative treatment that seems to have benefits, and something that is credible medical science.

Report this post

I've never heard any "claims " from either an accupuncturist or Oesteopath. Mine work with Doctors and physio's.

There's credible science behind both btw.

Last edited by bimboman on Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:19 am 

bimboman wrote:
Duff Paddy wrote:
bimboman wrote:
deadduck wrote:
Nieghorn wrote:

Oh dear Bimbo

There might be some limited benefit for some osteopathy massage for back pain but most of them are complete quacks. Acupuncture has no evidence base, that’s widely accepted at this stage.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:20 am 

bimboman wrote:
Quote:

Report this post

I've never heard any "claims " from either an accupuncturist or Oesteopath. Mine work with Doctors and physio's.

Acupuncture has been shown to work, but it doesn't appear that where they actually stick the needles makes a difference... so it's basically placebo effect. A convincing placebo effect is pretty effective, and acupuncture has all the necessary bits and pieces to maximise it. Generally a professional looking layout, convincing pseudo-science background, direct human contact (which is just healthy by itself).

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:23 am 

Quote:
There might be some limited benefit for some osteopathy massage for back pain but most of them are complete quacks. Acupuncture has no evidence base, that’s widely accepted at this stage.

"Most" , what absolute nonsense. You've never been to one have you ?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:27 am 

At this stage of his career i think he'd have drank medicinal piss to get back on the pitch. I'll vouch for the osteopath though, cures my nerve problems from neck injury everytime... go with chronic carpal tunnel type stuff, couple of headlocks later and i can feel my hand again :)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:28 am 

bimboman wrote:
Quote:

What difference would going to one make? I could easily walk into the least quack, or the most quack, osteopath in the country - and that’s the issue with your argument here.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:31 am 

DragsterDriver wrote:
At this stage of his career i think he'd have drank medicinal piss to get back on the pitch. I'll vouch for the osteopath though, cures my nerve problems from neck injury everytime... go with chronic carpal tunnel type stuff, couple of headlocks later and i can feel my hand again :)

And to be fair if you were in Samoa and you went to the local healer and she cast out some demons and suddenly your knee injury was better, you'd probably vouch for them too.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:34 am 

Duff Paddy wrote:
bimboman wrote:
Quote:

What difference would going to one make? I could easily walk into the least quack, or the most quack, osteopath in the country - and that’s the issue with your argument here.

Not reall, it's fairly well recognised globally and lots of health system provide its services, you ignorance of that is more the issue I reckon.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:35 am 

deadduck wrote:
DragsterDriver wrote:

And to be fair if you were in Samoa and you went to the local healer and she cast out some demons and suddenly your knee injury was better, you'd probably vouch for them too.

Yeah that's exactly the same. :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:36 am 

It is exactly the same and that's the point you're failing to grasp

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:40 am 

deadduck wrote:

It isn't though, you could make that argument about physiotherapy as well and it would be nonsense.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:45 am 

Physiotherapy makes no pseudoscientific claims and is born out of the study of human physiology

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:46 am 

bimboman wrote:
deadduck wrote:

It isn't though, you could make that argument about physiotherapy as well and it would be nonsense.

No you couldn’t because physiotherapy has a robust evidence base

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:49 am 

Duff Paddy wrote:
bimboman wrote:
deadduck wrote:

No you couldn’t because physiotherapist has a robust evidence base

Sorry that wasn't your point though, your point was a comparative on feeling better. You seem to be struggling to grasp your own point.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:53 am 

Could he not have used some credible medical option like homeopathy instead?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:53 am 

bimboman wrote:
Duff Paddy wrote:
bimboman wrote:
deadduck wrote:

No you couldn’t because physiotherapist has a robust evidence base

Sorry that wasn't your point though, your point was a comparative on feeling better. You seem to be struggling to grasp your own point.

:lol: good luck

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:59 am 

bimboman wrote:
Duff Paddy wrote:
bimboman wrote:
deadduck wrote:
Nieghorn wrote:

Oh dear Bimbo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:02 am 

Quote:
“Then when I went out there she massaged my whole body. All I needed was a towel and a Fijian oil. The witchdoctor was half Fijian and half Samoan and she found out that there were three lady spirits who had married themselves onto me for the last three years.

Well that's Jonny Wilkinson's injury run solved, he must have had 50 before he escaped to France.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:07 am 

Chuckles1188 wrote:

As I've told you all many, many times :smug: