Chat Forum
It is currently Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:59 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 365 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:48 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:54 am
Posts: 40613
Location: Joint No. 3 to Cyprus
Murdoch wrote:
Just watched the video twice.

No-one said: "what race is dickhead"?

In fact Watts barely made a peep at all.

Politicians :roll:


Great post

https://twitter.com/JoshButler/status/9 ... replies%2F


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:46 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 16513
Location: Adelaide via Sydney and Patea
Murdoch wrote:
Just watched the video twice.

No-one said: "what race is dickhead"?

In fact Watts barely made a peep at all.

Politicians :roll:


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJLRSpju88c
2:20, Watts


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:54 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 15403
.


Last edited by Ted. on Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:55 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 15403
gurudoright wrote:
I’m not usually a big fan of Sam Dastyari, to tell you the truth I don’t like him. In saying that I don’t think he could have handle the situation any better.


Yeah, he kept his shit together pretty well in the face of that, you might say he had to. The thing is, he shouldn't have to handle it any better, he shouldfn't be confronted with that at all.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:14 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 54474
Zakar wrote:
bimboman wrote:
Chuckles1188 wrote:
Andalu wrote:
Fair enough, but at what point does it lose it's relevance if you live in a non-Islamic society?

At least Jewish is a quasi-ethnicity.


So is Muslim



What ? :lol:


Nope.

And TBH Jewish really isn't either.




You can be ethnically Jewish. There's no "ethnic" Muslim, you can convert to either.

Muslim cannot be a race. If we need a term religious bigot would cover the dickheads in this story.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:32 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 21779
Location: Middle East
bimboman wrote:
Zakar wrote:
bimboman wrote:
Chuckles1188 wrote:
Andalu wrote:
Fair enough, but at what point does it lose it's relevance if you live in a non-Islamic society?

At least Jewish is a quasi-ethnicity.


So is Muslim



What ? :lol:


Nope.

And TBH Jewish really isn't either.




You can be ethnically Jewish. There's no "ethnic" Muslim, you can convert to either.

Muslim cannot be a race. If we need a term religious bigot would cover the dickheads in this story.


Yup, just like the guys in the video were trying to say, Muslim isn't a race. It'd be far more accurate to call them bigots, or plum bigots to be totally accurate.

However, when theyr'e saying "Go back to Iran, ya monkey" are they really judging some bloke getting a beer in a pub on his religion or his ethnicity?
Would you feel entirely un-racist telling anyone less white than a Coldplay concert-goer to "Go back to <insert location here> , ya monkey!"

Yep, they hated the guy for his (lapsed) religion - he was drinking a beer FFS - but they lapsed into racial abuse... ya monkey... when they used up the rest of their limited repertoire.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:46 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:54 am
Posts: 40613
Location: Joint No. 3 to Cyprus
I look forward to an explanation of why cultural Muslim is not a quasi-ethnicity, and why Muslim is not s race


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:58 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 54474
Chuckles1188 wrote:
I look forward to an explanation of why cultural Muslim is not a quasi-ethnicity, and why Muslim is not s race



What's a cultural Muslim ?


Muslim is definatly not a f ucking race.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:07 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 21033
Muslim is a race so that people can accuse anyone who expresses a negative view of Islam of racism.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:11 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:54 am
Posts: 40613
Location: Joint No. 3 to Cyprus
Why is Muslim not a race?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:13 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 21033
Chuckles1188 wrote:
Why is Muslim not a race?

I have just explained why it is. Is that not good enough for you?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:15 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 54474
Chuckles1188 wrote:
Why is Muslim not a race?



Because islam is a religion that anyone of any ethnic or racial background can choose to convert to become a "Muslim" , they can come from anywhere on the globe , be any biological background or any cultural background.

A Muslim is a followers,of Islam that is all. No racial or ethnic identity is required to be a Muslim.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:19 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 21033
Chuckles1188 wrote:
Why is Muslim not a race?

Is Scientology?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:20 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:54 am
Posts: 40613
Location: Joint No. 3 to Cyprus
bimboman wrote:
Chuckles1188 wrote:
Why is Muslim not a race?



Because islam is a religion that anyone of any ethnic or racial background can choose to convert to become a "Muslim" , they can come from anywhere on the globe , be any biological background or any cultural background.

A Muslim is a followers,of Islam that is all. No racial or ethnic identity is required to be a Muslim.


What is a racial identity?

Irish is a race and everything you just said about Muslims is just as true of Irish


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:20 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:54 am
Posts: 40613
Location: Joint No. 3 to Cyprus
Mick Mannock wrote:
Chuckles1188 wrote:
Why is Muslim not a race?

I have just explained why it is. Is that not good enough for you?


I love how you think I was talking to you


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:27 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 54474
Chuckles1188 wrote:
bimboman wrote:
Chuckles1188 wrote:
Why is Muslim not a race?



Because islam is a religion that anyone of any ethnic or racial background can choose to convert to become a "Muslim" , they can come from anywhere on the globe , be any biological background or any cultural background.

A Muslim is a followers,of Islam that is all. No racial or ethnic identity is required to be a Muslim.


What is a racial identity?

Irish is a race and everything you just said about Muslims is just as true of Irish




Sorry? A Nigerian living in Nigeria can decide to convert to be Irish and from then on be Irish? When I fill in my next census form I can convert to Chinese and from then on be treated as a Chinese person.

Radial identity is a thing we humans and society refer to all the time, now I understand the reach of this can change due to social construct changes (CIA , see and all that multi gender bollocks), either we scrap the whole idea of race and racial identity (biology will have some work to do to find new words for stuff) or we accept that "race" cannot be a thing we can convert to.


It's a f ucking belief system chuckles , belief in a religion that's all it is.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:28 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:54 am
Posts: 40613
Location: Joint No. 3 to Cyprus
And the definition of "race" is so broad, nebulous, and disconnected from any real-world characteristics that a belief system can absolutely be included under it. Biology wouldn't need to change one single fucking thing in order to scrap the concept of "race" entirely, it is not and has never been an even vaguely scientific concept


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:34 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 54474
Chuckles1188 wrote:
And the definition of "race" is so broad, nebulous, and disconnected from any real-world characteristics that a belief system can absolutely be included under it. Biology wouldn't need to change one single fucking thing in order to scrap the concept of "race" entirely, it is not and has never been an even vaguely scientific concept


Next time I turn up at the sickle cell society demanding to be tested I'll tell them I've chosen to be racially African that day and demand equality.

You stupid c unt.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:36 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 21033
Mick Mannock wrote:
Chuckles1188 wrote:
Why is Muslim not a race?

Is Scientology?

Well?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:37 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:54 am
Posts: 40613
Location: Joint No. 3 to Cyprus
What does "racially African" mean?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:37 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:54 am
Posts: 40613
Location: Joint No. 3 to Cyprus
Mick Mannock wrote:
Mick Mannock wrote:
Chuckles1188 wrote:
Why is Muslim not a race?

Is Scientology?

Well?


Sure, why not


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:45 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 21033
Chuckles1188 wrote:
Mick Mannock wrote:
Mick Mannock wrote:
Chuckles1188 wrote:
Why is Muslim not a race?

Is Scientology?

Well?


Sure, why not
What about belief systems that do not include a God?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:52 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 32700
Chuckles1188 wrote:
Why is Muslim not a race?


Because there is no such thing as race ya dingbat.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:54 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 54474
Chuckles1188 wrote:
Mick Mannock wrote:
Mick Mannock wrote:
Chuckles1188 wrote:
Why is Muslim not a race?

Is Scientology?

Well?


Sure, why not



So your argument is that you'll do away with any traditional definition, and attempts at scientific generation and because the "concept" can be broad just give a word your own meaning.

I suppose in the spirit now being able to choose your own gender daily, choosing your own version of language and just making up meanings that suit you is perfect.

Racially African is a description of people with brown eyes from Siberia. :thumbup: see we can all do it.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:55 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:54 am
Posts: 40613
Location: Joint No. 3 to Cyprus
Seneca of the Night wrote:
Chuckles1188 wrote:
Why is Muslim not a race?


Because there is no such thing as race ya dingbat.


This is correct, but since we persist in talking about it even though there is no such thing as race we might as well apply it consistently, and a consistent application of how "race" is used would include Muslims


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:55 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 32700
Chuckles1188 wrote:
What does "racially African" mean?


Africa is a continent not a race.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:55 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:54 am
Posts: 40613
Location: Joint No. 3 to Cyprus
bimboman wrote:
Chuckles1188 wrote:
Mick Mannock wrote:
Mick Mannock wrote:
Chuckles1188 wrote:
Why is Muslim not a race?

Is Scientology?

Well?


Sure, why not



So your argument is that you'll do away with any traditional definition, and attempts at scientific generation and because the "concept" can be broad just give a word your own meaning.

I suppose in the spirit now being able to choose your own gender daily, choosing your own version of language and just making up meanings that suit you is perfect.

Racially African is a description of people with brown eyes from Siberia. :thumbup: see we can all do it.


I'd prefer we stop using it at all, but as bimbo is aptly demonstrating that's an unwinnable battle so let's at least be inclusive about it


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:56 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 32700
Chuckles1188 wrote:
Seneca of the Night wrote:
Chuckles1188 wrote:
Why is Muslim not a race?


Because there is no such thing as race ya dingbat.


This is correct, but since we persist in talking about it even though there is no such thing as race we might as well apply it consistently, and a consistent application of how "race" is used would include Muslims


Clowns of your ilk won't stop bloody going on about race. Yet on the other hand declare it not to exist.

Wish you'd make up your mind.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:57 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 32700
Chuckles1188 wrote:
.
Quote:

I'd prefer we stop using it at all, but as bimbo is aptly demonstrating that's an unwinnable battle so let's at least be inclusive about it


So your way of being inclusive is to say there is just one race?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:58 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:54 am
Posts: 40613
Location: Joint No. 3 to Cyprus
This whole argument is predicated on the idea that there is some kind of scientific means of deploying the concept of "race", but there isn't. We don't, outside of actual science, base ideas on science. The only scientific thing that unites people native to Africa is being native to Africa, but because we've decided that "Africa" is a meaningful idea in its own right we desperately try to find some kind of scientific concept which unites people from it.

One can be culturally African, but culture isn't derived from science


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:59 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 54474
Seneca of the Night wrote:
Chuckles1188 wrote:
Why is Muslim not a race?


Because there is no such thing as race ya dingbat.



Also acceptable but in that case I do think things like the "racial discrimination " clauses in laws need some serious attention.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:59 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:54 am
Posts: 40613
Location: Joint No. 3 to Cyprus
Seneca of the Night wrote:
Chuckles1188 wrote:
Seneca of the Night wrote:
Chuckles1188 wrote:
Why is Muslim not a race?


Because there is no such thing as race ya dingbat.


This is correct, but since we persist in talking about it even though there is no such thing as race we might as well apply it consistently, and a consistent application of how "race" is used would include Muslims


Clowns of your ilk won't stop bloody going on about race. Yet on the other hand declare it not to exist.

Wish you'd make up your mind.


Scientifically it doesn't, but we've been doing this for so long that it has acquired a cultural meaning which is real.

Black Americans, genetically, are not unified by anything, but there is still such a thing as black culture in America


Last edited by Chuckles1188 on Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:00 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 32700
Muslim is race, though there is no such thing as race, but given that people insist there is, we might as well have one inclusive race, of which Muslims are part of, although they are a separate race, like the Irish.

Welcome to the whacky world of Chuckles.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:02 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:54 am
Posts: 40613
Location: Joint No. 3 to Cyprus
Seneca of the Night wrote:
Muslim is race, though there is no such thing as race, but given that people insist there is, we might as well have one inclusive race, of which Muslims are part of, although they are a separate race, like the Irish.

Welcome to the whacky world of Chuckles.


There is no such thing as race, but we act as if there is so you can still be racist because we pretend race is a real idea


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:03 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 54474
Chuckles1188 wrote:
This whole argument is predicated on the idea that there is some kind of scientific means of deploying the concept of "race", but there isn't. We don't, outside of actual science, base ideas on science. The only scientific thing that unites people native to Africa is being native to Africa, but because we've decided that "Africa" is a meaningful idea in its own right we desperately try to find some kind of scientific concept which unites people from it.

One can be culturally African, but culture isn't derived from science



Sorry, are you saying that groupings of humans that share physical similarities that we now know are shared DNA giving traits aren't real ?

You can argue that we shouldn't use the word "race" to group these but surly you're not denying that these groups and differences exist ?


Quote:
Black Americans, genetically, are not unified by anything, but there is still such a thing as black culture in America


What? Are you now denying he history of the slave trade and its subsequent movements of its victims across America ? Bigot.


Last edited by bimboman on Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:04 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 54474
Chuckles1188 wrote:
Seneca of the Night wrote:
Muslim is race, though there is no such thing as race, but given that people insist there is, we might as well have one inclusive race, of which Muslims are part of, although they are a separate race, like the Irish.

Welcome to the whacky world of Chuckles.


There is no such thing as race, but we act as if there is so you can still be racist because we pretend race is a real idea



Wonderful.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:04 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 21033
Seneca of the Night wrote:
Chuckles1188 wrote:
.
Quote:

I'd prefer we stop using it at all, but as bimbo is aptly demonstrating that's an unwinnable battle so let's at least be inclusive about it


So your way of being inclusive is to say there is just one race?

To go down that route, accusations of racism would cease to have any meaning, and discrimination would have to be addressed differently.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:04 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:54 am
Posts: 40613
Location: Joint No. 3 to Cyprus
bimboman wrote:
Chuckles1188 wrote:
This whole argument is predicated on the idea that there is some kind of scientific means of deploying the concept of "race", but there isn't. We don't, outside of actual science, base ideas on science. The only scientific thing that unites people native to Africa is being native to Africa, but because we've decided that "Africa" is a meaningful idea in its own right we desperately try to find some kind of scientific concept which unites people from it.

One can be culturally African, but culture isn't derived from science



Sorry, are you saying at groupings of humans that share physical similarities that we now know are shared DNA giving traits aren't real ?

You can argue that we shouldn't use the word "race" to group these but surly you're not denying that these groups and differences exist ?


What physical similarities define "Africans"?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:06 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 32700
Chuckles1188 wrote:
Seneca of the Night wrote:
Chuckles1188 wrote:
Seneca of the Night wrote:
Chuckles1188 wrote:
Why is Muslim not a race?


Because there is no such thing as race ya dingbat.


This is correct, but since we persist in talking about it even though there is no such thing as race we might as well apply it consistently, and a consistent application of how "race" is used would include Muslims


Clowns of your ilk won't stop bloody going on about race. Yet on the other hand declare it not to exist.

Wish you'd make up your mind.


Scientifically it doesn't, but we've been doing this for so long that it has acquired a cultural meaning which is real.

Black Americans, genetically, are not unified by anything, but there is still such a thing as black culture in America


Give Michael Johnson a call:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvan ... eview.html

One of the great tragedies of our age is that an entire generation has been brainwashed into not noticing what is right in front of their eyes. It's been a mighty trick, one that to me is incomprehensible, but there you go, and we have our very own representative on this bored.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:06 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:54 am
Posts: 40613
Location: Joint No. 3 to Cyprus
Mick Mannock wrote:
Seneca of the Night wrote:
Chuckles1188 wrote:
.
Quote:

I'd prefer we stop using it at all, but as bimbo is aptly demonstrating that's an unwinnable battle so let's at least be inclusive about it


So your way of being inclusive is to say there is just one race?

To go down that route, accusations of racism would cease to have any meaning, and discrimination would have to be addressed differently.


Sounds worth a punt, right?


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 365 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: bessantj, Cabbage, croyals, farmerdave, Fat Old Git, Flametop, Floppykid, FravBront, Google Adsense [Bot], Google [Bot], HKCJ, jezzer, johnstrac, Lenny, mdaclarke, Murdoch, piquant, quarter2four, redderneck, rugga., RWC2015, SamShark, shereblue, The Native, Working Class Rugger, Yourmother, YOYO and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group