Chat Forum
It is currently Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:44 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Shaving
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:30 am 

Due to skin sensitivity or hair type, are some guys just not meant for a clean shave? As in razor burn, ingrown hairs etc.

I have always struggled, currently stopped shaving for the first time (im 29) nearly two months ago - so im looking pretty homeless - but I think the beard looks better than my irritated skin so this got me thinking about the above.

Mumsnet cvnts, your thoughts on this out of interest?

Post subject: Re: Shaving
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:35 am 

I cant shave against the grain. other than that fine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ps88RU_ ... e=youtu.be

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:55 am 

Due to some light skin cancer melanomes I stopped shaving years ago (I often worked in the direct sun) Since I've cultivated many beards, but the short cropped one with low maintenance seems to have the most sex appeal and is definitely the most comfortable and easiest to maintain (I shampoo the beard every morning, and crop it continuously using a comb, sciccors and a Philishave razor with beard attachment)

Last edited by Wilson's Toffee on Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:01 am 

I used to get razor burn until I learned how to shave properly.

There are a couple of tricks.

This first is to prepare properly with warm water and beard softener (or conditioner) and use good quality shaving cream (not that shit in a pressure can).

The second is not to apply pressure. You should just be scarping the razor across taking a bit off at a time, not pressing it into your skin. You should be re-lathering and going over it 3 or 4 times.

Very, very little razor burn or cuts or anything doing it like this and a very clean shave.

I also use a 50s style double edged safety razor that makes the things you buy in the supermarket seem like a blunt butter knife. That helps but takes a little getting used to.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:05 am 

It's not for everyone but I found an electric razor was a lot easier on my skin than a normal razor like gillette etc.

I use one of these, it comes with special nivea lotion that helps preserve my boyish good looks.

It's designed so it can be used in the shower so it's also a bit of a timesaver if you're in a hurry.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:08 am 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:12 am 

Wolfe Tone wrote:
It's not for everyone but I found an electric razor was a lot easier on my skin than a normal razor like gillette etc.

I use one of these, it comes with special nivea lotion that helps preserve my boyish good looks.

It's designed so it can be used in the shower so it's also a bit of a timesaver if you're in a hurry.

Switched to electric myself a few months ago after getting one as a gift. Much less irritation, never get as close a shave as you would with a razor though, but in terms of time saving it's fantastic.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:16 am 

Ogre wrote:

I used to love having a beard until the f--king hipsters ruined it for everyone.

Every time I see one of those guys with a perfectly manicured beard, short-back and sides and long on top hipster hair wearing his pants rolled up past his ankles and yachting shoes, I feel like punching that fucker in the face. They all look exactly the f--king same and they're ruining the manliness of the beard. I figure it's cooler and more original to get around clean shaven these days.

Last edited by Mog The Almighty on Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:16 am 

I used to get a terrible rash on my throat after I shaved. It wasn't until I'd been suffering this for years that I tried moisturising after each shave. That pretty much eliminated the rash. Soaking the area in warm water beforehand is also key - which is why shaving in the shower works. I also prefer to shave the night before so that if I do cut myself I have the night to heal. It also means the moisturiser has overnight to sink in.

Back when I was at school we were advised to put aftershave on after each shave (alcohol-based). I simply cannot believe people did/do that.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:18 am 

:thumbup:

All good points so far (especially for my current situation WT) - perhaps I have been doing a few wrong things like too much pressure and such previously, I did though try a few things and research methods before that didnt change anything. Alternatively when I do shave again perhaps an electric is good. I do have sensitive skin - have eczema, rosacea so thought that may play a role.

Im going to go with this beard thing for now though, its kind of fun.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:20 am 

Mog The Almighty wrote:
Ogre wrote:

I used to love having a beard until the f--king hipsters ruined it for everyone.

Every time I see one of those guys with a perfectly manicured beard, short-back and sides and long on top hipster hair wearing his pants rolled up past his ankles and yachting shoes, I feel like punching that f**k in the face. They all look exactly the f--king same and they're ruining the manliness of the beard. I figure it's cooler and more original to get around clean shaven these days.

EXACTLY my thoughts on the entire thing! Though of course I have now decided to grow a beard :blush: I console myself in the fact that I clearly do not look like a hipster in dress or hairstyle. Seriously, like every second guy in Cape Town has that hairstyle, hipster or not.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:21 am 

Yeah, I'm bearded for the first time in my life and I never been happier (with my face).

To not look like a dero, the beard must be kept in trim and the neckline and cheekline need shaving as normal, not every day but perhaps every second day. When shaving the neckline do not stretch the neck forward to get a better look in the mirror because you'll end up shaving it too high and you'll look like an idiot. Rather, look ahed normally and shave up to a point just above the adam's apple.

It must be shampooed, and it must be brushed.

The best thing about having a beard is the brushing. Mine is a #4 all over and when I brush it sideways my face buzzes and feels electric.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:23 am 

There's just waaay too much talk about beards on the Bored these days. :thumbdown:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:25 am 

Sandstorm wrote:
There's just waaay too much talk about beards on the Bored these days. :thumbdown:

homophobe!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:26 am 

Been bearded on and off for the past decade+ (basically since uni). Used to trim it right down with hair clippers when I was at uni due to people using it against me in jiu jitsu, once I left, started growing more regularly. Been growing the present one for just over 2 years, no trimming/styling. It's generally rather messy, but with a bit of brushing it can look better. I have a bad habit of pulling out the weird feeling hairs, so I'm sure it's not as long (and not as thick in the long parts) as it could be.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:29 am 

Fantastic band (I believe someone is fortunate enough to live near them on this bored).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmFnarFSj_U

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:51 am 

I am growing a tash and goatee atm :smug:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:57 am 

BokStorm wrote:
Mog The Almighty wrote:
Ogre wrote:

Every time I see one of those guys with a perfectly manicured beard, short-back and sides and long on top hipster hair wearing his pants rolled up past his ankles and yachting shoes, I feel like punching that f**k in the face. They all look exactly the f--king same and they're ruining the manliness of the beard. I figure it's cooler and more original to get around clean shaven these days.

EXACTLY my thoughts on the entire thing! Though of course I have now decided to grow a beard :blush: I console myself in the fact that I clearly do not look like a hipster in dress or hairstyle. Seriously, like every second guy in Cape Town has that hairstyle, hipster or not.

Before hipsters came along, my image of a masculine man was this:

But hipsters have completely f--ked that in the arse. Now it just looks try hard. Those soy milk late sipping f--kers couldn't even change a car wheel.

So now, I've updated my idea of masculinity to this:

... which includes this:

I f--king love a good beard. I just f--king hate hipsters and don't want to be associated with them one iota. I even had to get rid of my Macbook and get a normal Windows laptop.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:02 pm 

A warm damp towel draped over your face softens everything up and opens your follicles. Then use a good quality cream, not gel etc. Proper old fashioned shaving cream worked into a good lather. Sharp razor. No cuts, no burn.

A simple "thank you, Keith" should suffice :thumbup:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:03 pm 

BokStorm wrote:
Due to skin sensitivity or hair type, are some guys just not meant for a clean shave? As in razor burn, ingrown hairs etc.

I have always struggled, currently stopped shaving for the first time (im 29) nearly two months ago - so im looking pretty homeless - but I think the beard looks better than my irritated skin so this got me thinking about the above.

I struggle with skin irritation and my face kind of bloats when I shave. I tried just about everything and the only way I can shave without any discomfort is to use a set of hair clippers as an electric razor without the tapper on it, works great for me, I have no problems anymore. I found that normal electric razors tug the hair out more than anything for me, I think my facial fair is 1/10 iron.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:12 pm 

Mog The Almighty wrote:

Slightly scruffier beard, not as well muscled with a bit more fat, and that's a close estimation to how I look.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:23 pm 

I always struggled with a razor and preferred a shaver for many years. I thought it might have been due to lack of knowledge (pre-internet days, no such thing as f**king beard conditioner etc). Then I found out why.

On my wedding day, I thought I'd go for a nice professional wet shave. When it finished, I was asked "Do you wet shave often?" to which I replied "not really". They went on to say "Not surprised, normally when we do a cut-throat shave, we have to throw the blade away for H&S reasons but could use the blade again if we had to. I've got through 2 blades on your face, neither of which could be used again. Don't wet shave."

Explained a lot. No wonder I have shadow at 11am and wet shaving was always a bit uncomfortable and ineffective.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:25 pm 

toweliechaos wrote:
I always struggled with a razor and preferred a shaver for many years. I thought it might have been due to lack of knowledge (pre-internet days, no such thing as f**k beard conditioner etc). Then I found out why.

On my wedding day, I thought I'd go for a nice professional wet shave. When it finished, I was asked "Do you wet shave often?" to which I replied "not really". They went on to say "Not surprised, normally when we do a cut-throat shave, we have to throw the blade away for H&S reasons but could use the blade again if we had to. I've got through 2 blades on your face, neither of which could be used again. Don't wet shave."

Explained a lot. No wonder I have shadow at 11am and wet shaving was always a bit uncomfortable and ineffective.

Mate when I had my beard trimmed or get wet shaved, it's very often the barber comments that it's one of the thickest beards he's ever seen. I don't have any patches, even under my bottom lip. It's just thick copper wire all the way.

Wet shaving is a cinch. A good, sharp razor goes through that like it's butter, especially when it's properly prepared.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:26 pm 

Razor bumps are bitch for us darkies and the scarring can be pretty bad. A clean shave is out of the question for many of us.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:37 pm 

genetic inferiority

Men with this problem should die out under darwins theory

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 1:54 pm 

nardol wrote:
genetic inferiority

Men with this problem should die out under darwins theory

Yeah low testosterone runts (and their associated lack of facial hair) fair well under natural selection. Allowed to survive under the human concept of civilisation and compliance of the strongly bearded you are, Darwin would have you in the not allowed to breed category.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 5:59 pm 

Mog The Almighty wrote:
I used to get razor burn until I learned how to shave properly.

There are a couple of tricks.

This first is to prepare properly with warm water and beard softener (or conditioner) and use good quality shaving cream (not that shit in a pressure can).

The second is not to apply pressure. You should just be scarping the razor across taking a bit off at a time, not pressing it into your skin. You should be re-lathering and going over it 3 or 4 times.

Very, very little razor burn or cuts or anything doing it like this and a very clean shave.

I also use a 50s style double edged safety razor that makes the things you buy in the supermarket seem like a blunt butter knife. That helps but takes a little getting used to.

This.

A good double-edged razor blade and the right technique goes a long way. The right technique also extends to pre-shave - your beard will soften massively with liberal hot (and I mean hot) water. Shaving soap/cream tends to make a good pre-shave prep as well - no need to spend money on oils etc. The other thing which helped me was using a decent brush to apply the soap. I found the top notch badger bristle brushes were actually too pliable to get my beard well lathered, but YMMV. Technique also involves learning which way your beard grows across your entire face. You get the best shave (and most comfortable) if you start going with the grain on the first pass - this means you need to know which was the grain is on your cheeks, jaw, chin, and different parts of your neck. Finally, a second pass at 90 degrees to the grain after relathering makes it nice and close. I don't find I need to do it more than twice unless I really haven't shaved for a while.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 6:04 pm 

Electric is good. Lasts for years and shaves quickly. Not bothered if I miss a few spots. I would look like Norman Gunston if I shaved with a blade

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 6:12 pm 

Being chinless, I badly require a beard but lack the requisite testosterone. Only need to shave twice a week - essentially I'm a teenager:(

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 8:17 pm 

dr dre2 wrote:
BokStorm wrote:

I struggle with skin irritation and my face kind of bloats when I shave. I tried just about everything and the only way I can shave without any discomfort is to use a set of hair clippers as an electric razor without the tapper on it, works great for me, I have no problems anymore. I found that normal electric razors tug the hair out more than anything for me, I think my facial fair is 1/10 iron.

I do that too. Its very convenient to just keep it that length all the time. Chicks dig that look too it seems.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 8:26 pm 

Raggs wrote:
Mog The Almighty wrote:

Slightly scruffier beard, not as well muscled with a bit more fat, and that's a close estimation to how I look.

You're a ginge?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 10:05 pm 

Bought 4 Gillette Fusion refill blades the other night. $21.50 "on special". fudge me.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 11:24 pm 

I only shave twice a week. Good enough for my job, it's a casual workplace anyway. Shaving is just tedious.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 1:16 am 

jdogscoop wrote:
Bought 4 Gillette Fusion refill blades the other night. $21.50 "on special". f**k me.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=55489&hilit=Double+edged+razors

100 blades for just over a tenner.

http://www.shaving.ie/products/100-astr ... arton.html

Muhle R89 to start and a Muhle R41 for a very close/exciting shave.

Either option better value and a much better and fun shave.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 1:58 am 

Flametop wrote:
jdogscoop wrote:
Bought 4 Gillette Fusion refill blades the other night. $21.50 "on special". f**k me.

What is an exciting shave? Is it a good thing?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 2:04 am 

Hair clippers, twice a week. Wet shaving can get f**ked - easy, effective or cheap - pick two.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 2:04 am 

Sidney Parade wrote:
Flametop wrote:
jdogscoop wrote:

and a fun shave? Sounds sexual :uhoh:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 2:10 am 

Brumby_in_Vic wrote:
Sidney Parade wrote:
Flametop wrote:
jdogscoop wrote:

and a fun shave? Sounds sexual :uhoh:

Perhaps it is an "i get commission for selling these products" kind of fun and excitement?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 7:50 am 

I wet shave with a cut throat which I sharpen on a strop that belonged to my Grandad - but for my face I use an electric razor.

I also sing high tenor in a barber shop quartet.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:24 am 

normilet wrote:
Wolfe Tone wrote:

Switched to electric myself a few months ago after getting one as a gift. Much less irritation, never get as close a shave as you would with a razor though, but in terms of time saving it's fantastic.

I tried an electric razor a few years ago and it irritated the fudge out of my skin.

Maybe I just got a crap one?