Chat Forum
It is currently Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:29 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1929 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 45, 46, 47, 48, 49
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: JRWC 2018 - France
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:51 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 1378
Who were the nominees for the player of the tournament and who won?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: JRWC 2018 - France
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:57 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 16633
Location: balbriggan
Masterji wrote:
Who were the nominees for the player of the tournament and who won?

The youngest...

Joseph


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: JRWC 2018 - France
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:00 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 14927
Location: Investigating racism in the NHS
Masterji wrote:
Who were the nominees for the player of the tournament and who won?


Frenchie #8 Jordan Joseph won it, other nominees were Romain Ntamack and the two English wingers, Gabriel Ibitoye and Jordan Olofowela


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: JRWC 2018 - France
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:14 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 7948
Fenman wrote:
FullbackAce wrote:
Well Group C turned out to be a walk in the park...

lets expand to 16 and 4 groups of 4 please. Much fairer that way.


This point comes up repeatedly. The tournament is in the format it is because (a) it is a development tournament (all teams must start every squad member at least once in the group stages, which is one of the rules that proves the fact) and (b) as there are probably about six teams good enough for the main semi finals, the fact that the best runner up has a chance to qualify means that if you are grouped with NZ (say), you are not doomed to a lesser SF before the tournament even starts. I could probably add that there are likely to be multiple scores of 100+ if the teams ranked 13-16 in the world take part. 16 teams sounds fair, but is it really? It will lengthen the tournament at the end of a crowded NH season which is not desirable in any case. Feel free to argue your point further, but I can't see the authorities listening. Why change an annual tournament where a lot of players will get a second chance in their second year of eligibility? The RWC with a four year cycle is far more important to the game.


Hey look, yet another British rugby fan who is completely oblivious to the world outside of T1 rugby yet feels free to comment on it like they know shit. Multiple games of 100+ scores? Highly unlikely. Japan was quite competitive this year and they didn't exactly breeze through the JWRT last year. I'm also curious to hear how adding 4 teams would increase the length of the competition. Each team would still play 5 games, exactly the same as they do now.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: JRWC 2018 - France
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:37 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 1201
Fenman wrote:
This point comes up repeatedly. The tournament is in the format it is because (a) it is a development tournament (all teams must start every squad member at least once in the group stages, which is one of the rules that proves the fact)


Really? Certainly not how the Japanese played it, the guy I was there to see got two substitute appearances in the whole event and one of the kids didn’t get changed into his kit for the whole tournament......


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: JRWC 2018 - France
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:41 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 19083
Location: Stellenbosch
Bobcock wrote:
Fenman wrote:
This point comes up repeatedly. The tournament is in the format it is because (a) it is a development tournament (all teams must start every squad member at least once in the group stages, which is one of the rules that proves the fact)
Welcome to the South African qouta system in all youth sport tournaments.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: JRWC 2018 - France
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:49 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 21411
Bobcock wrote:
Fenman wrote:
This point comes up repeatedly. The tournament is in the format it is because (a) it is a development tournament (all teams must start every squad member at least once in the group stages, which is one of the rules that proves the fact)


Really? Certainly not how the Japanese played it, the guy I was there to see got two substitute appearances in the whole event and one of the kids didn’t get changed into his kit for the whole tournament......

It used to be the situation, not sure when they changed it


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: JRWC 2018 - France
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:51 am 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 16633
Location: balbriggan
Bobcock wrote:
Fenman wrote:
This point comes up repeatedly. The tournament is in the format it is because (a) it is a development tournament (all teams must start every squad member at least once in the group stages, which is one of the rules that proves the fact)


Really? Certainly not how the Japanese played it, the guy I was there to see got two substitute appearances in the whole event and one of the kids didn’t get changed into his kit for the whole tournament......

Japanese team is the team that rotated the least.
Seriously that is a crap way of doing things.

The French decided to keep a prop in squad after his knee injury (to be Fair they did not need to bring anyone )


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: JRWC 2018 - France
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:53 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:33 pm
Posts: 2292
Laurent wrote:
Bobcock wrote:
Fenman wrote:
This point comes up repeatedly. The tournament is in the format it is because (a) it is a development tournament (all teams must start every squad member at least once in the group stages, which is one of the rules that proves the fact)


Really? Certainly not how the Japanese played it, the guy I was there to see got two substitute appearances in the whole event and one of the kids didn’t get changed into his kit for the whole tournament......

Japanese team is the team that rotated the least.
Seriously that is a crap way of doing things.

The French decided to keep a prop in squad after his knee injury (to be Fair they did not need to bring anyone )


Not really, current format forces the promoted teams to go all out since they desperately need to retain their spot in the world cup. Japan's goal was staying in the tournament and coming back next year with more experience. It would be stupid of them to waste such an opportunity and not play their best possible lineup. I think it was a correct decision too since they came so very close in 3 games. literally a little tailwind could've won them one of those. They didn't make headlines because they got demoted but if we compare them to Fiji from last year I think they were miles better.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1929 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 45, 46, 47, 48, 49

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Dubh01, Google Adsense [Bot], Laurent, sonic_attack, Sprig, The Native and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group