Chat Forum
It is currently Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:21 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Croydon
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:10 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 21591
Just spent 2 days there

Christ, what a dump

Fortunately now in the civilised part of London

Everything is is going to be OK, I think


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Croydon
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:37 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 19722
shanky wrote:
Just spent 2 days there

Christ, what a dump

Fortunately now in the civilised part of London

Everything is is going to be OK, I think

You poor cûnt.

Croydon's not really part of London though.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Croydon
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:41 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 21591
happyhooker wrote:
shanky wrote:
Just spent 2 days there

Christ, what a dump

Fortunately now in the civilised part of London

Everything is is going to be OK, I think

You poor cûnt.

Croydon's not really part of London though.


I don't wish to be suburbist, but if one's idea of of a slap-up meal is PizzaLand/express/etc then I know where to recommend

:lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Croydon
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:49 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 21591
P.S, Just jokes

London is great city. Croydon is an OK suburb.

Cheers


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Croydon
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:58 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:50 am
Posts: 3065
Croydon, the residents whom consider themselves to be in the second capital of the UK


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Croydon
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:19 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 344
I will concede that at the moment ,the centre of Croydon is a bit grim , as It is in the process of being torn down and rebuilt.
Westfields are just about to spend a few Billion there redeveloping the Whitgift Centre.
However , drive about a mile and there are Farms and Thatched cottages
Croydon is a HUGE Borough, over thirty square miles.
The southern half especially is full of Golf Courses and is very Posh Commuterland.
Any way, the rule of thumb in London is to buy in Areas that you think are grim, because in twenty years you will be laughing.
Look at Hackney and Brixton!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Croydon
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:34 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 214
Croydon does get a bad rep and the centre is a bit 60's corporate planning, but as flashman says on the fringes it's pretty good, I live near Crystal Palace and it's really good. and unlike north London there are very few CPZ's that make life a parking hell. Plus Transport is great - 12 minutes to London Bridge is fine by me.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Croydon
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:38 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 8902
Location: Sinkers
One of my first jobs was in the 50p building and had a few fumbles in the blue school kid back in the day. Good times.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Croydon
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:40 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 11209
There used to be a jewellers in West Corydon that sold huge hoop earings with the word "Bitch" dangling inside them. It's that sort of place.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Croydon
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:41 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 16272
Location: By the mighty beard of Adam Jones
The Schoolkid :lol:

Did you ever go to that Atlantis monstrosity? I used to occasionally get the party bus there from Bromley, by eck that was a grim night out (in hindsight, at the time it probably seemed quite fun)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Croydon
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:57 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 4442
Location: Adopted Lion - Jon Davies
Brazil wrote:
There used to be a jewellers in West Corydon that sold huge hoop earings with the word "Bitch" dangling inside them. It's that sort of place.


Best worn with a Croydon Facelift.

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Croydon
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:02 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 344
There are a few Lumberjack Shirt and Spade beard types trying to rebrand the Centre of Croydon," The Cronx".
Take more than a few Pop up Dirty burger Joints and Craft Breweries to do that I'm afraid.
You tend to get a lot of People with School age kids aiming to get them into one of the Grammar schools ,while still being able to afford a reasonable house.
Whitgift let developers build on their school playing fields in the centre of Croydon in the early sixties but cannily kept the freehold.
As a result they are very well endowed ( Fnnargh! Fnnargh!)
Both they and Trinity and John Fisher turn out some good Rugby Players,Danny Cipriani,Paul Sackey,Eliott Daley ,Marland Yarde to name but a few.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Croydon
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:06 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 11209
flashman wrote:
There are a few Lumberjack Shirt and Spade beard types trying to rebrand the Centre of Croydon," The Cronx".
Take more than a few Pop up Dirty burger Joints and Craft Breweries to do that I'm afraid.
You tend to get a lot of People with School age kids aiming to get them into one of the Grammar schools ,while still being able to afford a reasonable house.
Whitgift let developers build on their school playing fields in the centre of Croydon in the early sixties but cannily kept the freehold.
As a result they are very well endowed ( Fnnargh! Fnnargh!)
Both they and Trinity and John Fisher turn out some good Rugby Players,Danny Cipriani,Paul Sackey,Eliott Daley ,Marland Yarde to name but a few.


Who are Whitgift the feeder club for since Wasps decided that they wanted to become Bennies? Quins?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Croydon
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:48 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 4444
Location: 'ertfordshire
Brazil wrote:
flashman wrote:
There are a few Lumberjack Shirt and Spade beard types trying to rebrand the Centre of Croydon," The Cronx".
Take more than a few Pop up Dirty burger Joints and Craft Breweries to do that I'm afraid.
You tend to get a lot of People with School age kids aiming to get them into one of the Grammar schools ,while still being able to afford a reasonable house.
Whitgift let developers build on their school playing fields in the centre of Croydon in the early sixties but cannily kept the freehold.
As a result they are very well endowed ( Fnnargh! Fnnargh!)
Both they and Trinity and John Fisher turn out some good Rugby Players,Danny Cipriani,Paul Sackey,Eliott Daley ,Marland Yarde to name but a few.


Who are Whitgift the feeder club for since Wasps decided that they wanted to become Bennies? Quins?

Thought London Irish traditionally drew from that area


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Croydon
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:53 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 8157
Whitgift is linked to Quins Academy.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Croydon
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:55 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 11948
SaintK wrote:
Brazil wrote:
flashman wrote:
There are a few Lumberjack Shirt and Spade beard types trying to rebrand the Centre of Croydon," The Cronx".
Take more than a few Pop up Dirty burger Joints and Craft Breweries to do that I'm afraid.
You tend to get a lot of People with School age kids aiming to get them into one of the Grammar schools ,while still being able to afford a reasonable house.
Whitgift let developers build on their school playing fields in the centre of Croydon in the early sixties but cannily kept the freehold.
As a result they are very well endowed ( Fnnargh! Fnnargh!)
Both they and Trinity and John Fisher turn out some good Rugby Players,Danny Cipriani,Paul Sackey,Eliott Daley ,Marland Yarde to name but a few.


Who are Whitgift the feeder club for since Wasps decided that they wanted to become Bennies? Quins?

Thought London Irish traditionally drew from that area


London Irish are Berkshire, Hampshire and more recently Middlesex.

Wellington is the most productive school for them, but Quins still manage to nab a few from there (assume they are boarders from the Quins catchment)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Croydon
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:37 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 21860
The issue with croydon (it isn't as much a dump as it was) is it still gets a huge concentration of schools close by and sadly bad school kids in the centre, thus a ton of gangs. I think I once read it had the highest number of school kids in one place after schools finish.

redevelopment will be interesting. It's still close to "The heath" and New Addington which I don't see how a re-development will alter, unless kids after school habits change over the period they can't access the shopping centre when it's a building site.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Croydon
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:38 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 11437
shanky wrote:
Just spent 2 days there

Christ, what a dump

Fortunately now in the civilised part of London

Everything is is going to be OK, I think


Meh. It is the land of milk & honey when compared to Essex.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Croydon
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:39 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 4444
Location: 'ertfordshire
eldanielfire wrote:
The issue with croydon (it isn't as much a dump as it was) is it still gets a huge concentration of schools close by and sadly bad school kids in the centre, thus a ton of gangs. I think I once read it had the highest number of school kids in one place after schools finish.

redevelopment will be interesting. It's still close to "The heath" and New Addington which I don't see how a re-development will alter, unless kids after school habits change over the period they can't access the shopping centre when it's a building site.

Will they bulldoze Mitcham though?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Croydon
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:39 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 19722
SaintK wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:
The issue with croydon (it isn't as much a dump as it was) is it still gets a huge concentration of schools close by and sadly bad school kids in the centre, thus a ton of gangs. I think I once read it had the highest number of school kids in one place after schools finish.

redevelopment will be interesting. It's still close to "The heath" and New Addington which I don't see how a re-development will alter, unless kids after school habits change over the period they can't access the shopping centre when it's a building site.

Will they bulldoze Mitcham though?

I thought they already had


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Croydon
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:51 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 19754
I don’t mind Croydon , but then I only ever do the ikea to Costco purely way retail hit and even then usually on a day off or 9pm when it’s quieter. Ikea on a Saturday lunchtime is my idea of hell !


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Croydon
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:58 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 21860
SaintK wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:
The issue with croydon (it isn't as much a dump as it was) is it still gets a huge concentration of schools close by and sadly bad school kids in the centre, thus a ton of gangs. I think I once read it had the highest number of school kids in one place after schools finish.

redevelopment will be interesting. It's still close to "The heath" and New Addington which I don't see how a re-development will alter, unless kids after school habits change over the period they can't access the shopping centre when it's a building site.

Will they bulldoze Mitcham though?


Won't make a difference there I'm afraid.

Croydon ahs the advantages that close places like Thornton Heath has great classic housing stock, hence prices rising. It's always had the likes of Wallington, Carlshorton, Purley and everything directly to the south and west.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Croydon
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:45 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 11123
Location: 雪の街
Image

I attended Stanley Tech
In South Norwood Hill
I think it was, oh yeah
Where the bronze bust was nicked
Let me think, it must've been in my third year
Lying in wait outside Virgo Fidelis
And the Lady Edridge Grammar School
I worked at the Fairfield Halls
Cleaning toilets, but I understood some day
I'd be back in my own right
Giving concerts in my own peculiar way
But I kept my rabbit back at home
And I cleaned it every other day
(Other day, other day, other day)
And now the time has come to say
Farewell Dad with your sardines
And the TV set that I blew
And now the time has come to say
Farewell Mum to your baked beans
And the poppadums I never knew

I'll be in Los Angeles
Where the famous people never quite get old
Yeah, in Los Angeles
Where they're all to rich to even feel the cold
But I'll still be dreaming of you Croydon
Especially in the cold and rain
(Cold and rain, cold and rain, cold and rain)
And now the time has come to say
I'll be leaving Croydon way
To the lovely town I once knew
And now the time has come to say
I'll be back another day
Saying sod LA, what a day
What a day
What a day
What a day
What a day


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Croydon
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:49 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 16272
Location: By the mighty beard of Adam Jones
In my day, we used to beat Whitgift and get trounced by John Fisher. Played against my contemporaries Paul Sackey and Ali McKenzie a couple of times playing the latter.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Croydon
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:29 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:01 am
Posts: 932
shanky wrote:
P.S, Just jokes

London is great city. Croydon is an OK suburb.

Cheers

Quickly checks the dictionary definition of 'OK' to see if it has changed.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Croydon
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:14 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 13325
Location: The centre of The Horrendous Space Kablooie!
La soule wrote:
shanky wrote:
Just spent 2 days there

Christ, what a dump

Fortunately now in the civilised part of London

Everything is is going to be OK, I think


Meh. It is the land of milk & honey when compared to Essex.


I was born in Essex and grew up in Croydon.

Well, Coulsdon, then Purley, then Chipstead.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Croydon
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:27 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 556
Location: Smallsbury
The Man Without Fear wrote:
La soule wrote:
shanky wrote:
Just spent 2 days there

Christ, what a dump

Fortunately now in the civilised part of London

Everything is is going to be OK, I think


Meh. It is the land of milk & honey when compared to Essex.


I was born in Essex and grew up in Croydon.

Well, Coulsdon, then Purley, then Chipstead.

There's a few of us about then. Born in Purley, grew up in Selsdon. Not been back to Croydon for about 20 years.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ] 

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], kerrandy, mojo, Mr Mike, pigaaaa, wamberal99 and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group