Chat Forum
It is currently Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:39 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 429 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:53 pm 

carlos_c wrote:
Any one notice one of the ships landing on the Battle cruiser looked like a modified steam iron. Me and the boy both went "that's a bloomin iron" at the same time - maybe one of teh special leffects boys having a larf ???

Wasn't that a joke in film? What looked like a ship landing but was actual iron ironing some first order uniforms?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:26 pm 

Bullettyme wrote:
carlos_c wrote:
Any one notice one of the ships landing on the Battle cruiser looked like a modified steam iron. Me and the boy both went "that's a bloomin iron" at the same time - maybe one of teh special leffects boys having a larf ???

Wasn't that a joke in film? What looked like a ship landing but was actual iron ironing some first order uniforms?

Correct.

eldanielfire wrote:
I'd also say that a film can have magical space wizards but it still needs to look and feel real to be able to suspend belief. That is good movie making. A good example is Lord of the Rings vs the Hobbit. In Fellowship when they are fighting inside the mountain you feel the tension, the battle which has wizards, ogres, elves and dwarfs feels realistic and gritty and you believe in what is happening. In the Hobbit films when the Dwarfs are in the goblin caves they fall 50 feet and just get up and run and jump in ways that just feels like a computer game. The tension is gone and the physics look and feel unreal despite good CGI so the film is a bit shit because you can't suspend your disbelief.

Good film making makes you suspend your disbelief without intending to. Bad film making doesn't achieve this. Sneering at people because some films clearly get audience to suspend their dibelief while other fail to do it successfully doesn't change that.

I'm sneering at people who deliberately withhold their suspension of disbelief in order to feel smarter than the moviemakers, not whatever it is you think I'm doing.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:14 pm 

mr bungle wrote:
DOB wrote:
There will absolutely be a lot of Phasma tie-in stuff in books, comics, etc.

Similarly, I can see no other reason to have Maz Kanata taking a FaceTime call while in the middle of a firefight than because said firefight will feature in an episode of Maz’s spinoff cartoon/comic/novel series.[/quote

That was an exceptionally shit scene. Typical of the OTT shite the originals avoided.

This was the worse scene in the film, mostly because I couldn't work out what was going on, too dark/too much cgi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:49 pm 

Bullettyme wrote:
Sandstorm wrote:
Bullettyme wrote:
They're magnetic, or something.

But of course that's not the most risible part about a film about space monks that can move things with their minds, oh no. The worse is that they can all breathe on other planets.

You mean planets already colonized by similar creatures as humans?

Some planets are colonised by weird alien things. And why is it that everything looks so humanoid? And can breath oxygen? And some wear clothes why others don't? And you can hear noise in space? And fighters need to bank in space?

The movies are silly and slightly mental. I think it's ok to not delve too deeply into some of the science-y parts ;) .

It's all explained in Star Trek Next Generation where the Enterprise and a few other species are chasing some kind of treasure.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:10 pm 

badmannotinjapan wrote:
Bullettyme wrote:
Sandstorm wrote:
Bullettyme wrote:
They're magnetic, or something.

But of course that's not the most risible part about a film about space monks that can move things with their minds, oh no. The worse is that they can all breathe on other planets.

You mean planets already colonized by similar creatures as humans?

Some planets are colonised by weird alien things. And why is it that everything looks so humanoid? And can breath oxygen? And some wear clothes why others don't? And you can hear noise in space? And fighters need to bank in space?

The movies are silly and slightly mental. I think it's ok to not delve too deeply into some of the science-y parts ;) .

It's all explained in Star Trek Next Generation where the Enterprise and a few other species are chasing some kind of treasure.

The common ancestor populating various planets millions of years ago? I quite like that as a way to explain why humanoid species dominate the galaxy and even how they can reproduce together.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:59 pm 

eldanielfire wrote:

The common ancestor populating various planets millions of years ago? I quite like that as a way to explain why humanoid species dominate the galaxy and even how they can reproduce together.

You just know there's some fan fic pr0n out there for TNG and DS9 with all the inter-species hookups in those shows.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:23 pm 

Yeah Star Trek runs on the panspermia hypothesis. Makes sense even if it is lame

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:31 am 

Bullettyme wrote:
Floppykid wrote:
mr bungle wrote:
DOB wrote:
There will absolutely be a lot of Phasma tie-in stuff in books, comics, etc.

Similarly, I can see no other reason to have Maz Kanata taking a FaceTime call while in the middle of a firefight than because said firefight will feature in an episode of Maz’s spinoff cartoon/comic/novel series.

That was an exceptionally shit scene. Typical of the OTT shite the originals avoided.

Everything has to be bigger, better, louder and quicker.
None of these movies come close to the originals.

Well tbf that was the progression of the original trilogy. Don't kid yourself though; if the same technology was available to Lucas post A New Hope we'd have the same ridiculous computer-gamery storytelling from the prequels. This trilogy is rather tame and tasteful compared to scenes like say, a giant robot army fighting a giant frog army in a giant field, or a Jedi riding a lizard monster like a horse, complete with the same 3....2.....1.....GO! loading screen.

Also, have you even seen this movie?!

Nah, thought I'd just chime in with an opinion anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:27 am 

Minnosu wrote:
When you see (incorrect) nitpicking over gravity in space one has to wonder what the twitter reaction would be to empire.

A f**king frog muppet is a Jedi master?
f**king frog muppet gets into a fight with trash can r2d2 over food. Bent.
Asteroid cave is actually a giant space worm with teeth? Laughable
Luke manages to slide perfectly into tube after falling for half a mile. Ridiculous.
Leia can hear Luke's thoughts? So is Leia a Jedi now? Since when did Jedi powers include long distance Skype calls?
The millennium falcon is able to hide on the side of a star destroyer? Please.
Leia in the first movie was a badass hero, now she's just a helpless love interest for Han. Pathetic squandering of a character.
Those imperial walkers? My theater burst out laughing when we saw them. Who designed those things? The most advanced killing machines the empire have, but are no match for some cables. Laughable.

Also, how the fudge did Vader NOT know Leia was his daughter in A New Hope?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:39 am 

Thomas wrote:
Minnosu wrote:
When you see (incorrect) nitpicking over gravity in space one has to wonder what the twitter reaction would be to empire.

Luke manages to slide perfectly into tube after falling for half a mile. Ridiculous.
Leia can hear Luke's thoughts? So is Leia a Jedi now? Since when did Jedi powers include long distance Skype calls?
Leia in the first movie was a badass hero, now she's just a helpless love interest for Han. Pathetic squandering of a character.
Those imperial walkers? My theater burst out laughing when we saw them. Who designed those things? The most advanced killing machines the empire have, but are no match for some cables. Laughable.

What you don't know can't be beaten out of you.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:01 am 

Thomas wrote:
Minnosu wrote:

He didn't know in an understated way though. Smaller, quieter, slower. Peak filmmaking. And the way he was cut down by a dude who'd fought with a lightsaber once before? Extremely good and believable.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:25 am 

I always thought it was pretty good how Leia had to comfort Luke after an old drifter he'd just met a couple of days ago had died, while she'd just witnessed her entire planet and population get annihilated.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:52 am 

Turbogoat wrote:
I always thought it was pretty good how Leia had to comfort Luke after an old drifter he'd just met a couple of days ago had died, while she'd just witnessed her entire planet and population get annihilated.

Luke had known Obi wan for years even if he didn't really know he was a Jedi. I think also after his aunt and uncle died Luke still had Obi Wan's father like figure and direction and the excitement of adventure Obi Wan offered, so by that point Luke realised he had nothing, his mates had all gone off to join the rebels as well, he could be reflecting on all that he lost by that point in a short time. Leia at this point was still all business and was brought up to be a rebel leader and absorb shit like that, even if she would mourn later.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:58 am 

eldanielfire wrote:
Turbogoat wrote:

Luke had known Obi wan for years even if he didn't really know he was a Jedi. I think also after his aunt and uncle died Luke still had Obi Wan's father like figure and direction and the excitement of adventure Obi Wan offered, so by that point Luke realised he had nothing, his mates had all gone off to join the rebels as well, he could be reflecting on all that he lost by that point in a short time. Leia at this point was still all business and was brought up to be a rebel leader and absorb shit like that, even if she would mourn later.

I can't believe that got a serious response.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:07 am 

Turbogoat wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:
Turbogoat wrote:

:thumbup:

I'm purposely giving serious responses to all these posts.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:19 am 

The goodies were too jokey jokey and didn’t seem serious enough about saving the galaxy - too much light hearted banter

Kylo ren just seems like a confused brat with adhd, nothing on Vader - not enough extremes in this movie

So far for me it’s 5,4,6,3,8,7 - 1 and 2 aren’t worth mentioning

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:22 am 

brat wrote:
The goodies were too jokey jokey and didn’t seem serious enough about saving the galaxy - too much light hearted banter

Kylo ren just seems like a confused brat with adhd, nothing on Vader - not enough extremes in this movie

That's completely my order as well.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:30 am 

eldanielfire wrote:
Turbogoat wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:
Turbogoat wrote:

:thumbup:

I'm purposely giving serious responses to all these posts.

I take my hat off to you good sir.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:33 am 

eldanielfire wrote:
brat wrote:

That's completely my order as well.

Yeh I quite liked 3 -revenge of the sith- a lot more so than the last 2 movies

The way anakin becomes Vader and the evil darth sidious /palpitine

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:27 am 

Revenge of the Sith only had better music. That's it for me. It was a decent movie but I prefer TFA and TLJ to it.

As an aside I don't think the music has been as good in any of the recent trilogy. No Duel of Fates or similar.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:35 am 

I liked ROTS But that too had some ridiculous moments

I can help you save Padmé! just go and murder loads of kids.

But Sidious doing spiral twists and backflips and pulling goofy faces while fighting windu needs some serious editing..

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:50 am 

Empire is obviously a better film than A New Hope, but I don’t enjoy it as much so hey

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:52 am 

covrich wrote:

But Sidious doing spiral twists and backflips and pulling goofy faces while fighting windu needs some serious editing..

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

FUCK off George Lucas.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:53 am 

covrich wrote:

It had some ridiculous parts alright, particularly in the melodramatic last lightsaber battle :lol:

"My Empire!"

"You will try".

"From my point of view it is the Jedi who are evil"

"I HAAAAATE YOOOOOU!"

"NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!"

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:56 am 

Bullettyme wrote:
covrich wrote:

It had some ridiculous parts alright, particularly in the melodramatic last lightsaber battle :lol:

"My Empire!"

"You will try".

"I HAAAAATE YOOOOOU!"

"NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!"

It was marginally less terrible than its predecessors, but still a largely shite green-screen-dominated shambles of a film with lousy dialogue. And the word "younglings", FFS.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:58 am 

I've never got the ROTS was OK thing. It wasn't quite as bad as 1 & 2, but that's damning it with the very faintest of praise. It's still a dreadful story with awful dialogue, cardboard characters, poor direction and a laughably absurd anti-hero; and most of it is a f**king cartoon.

I'm not sure what I make of TFA or TLJ; they seem fairly flawed to me in ways the original trilogy was not. But I would be happy to watch them again without requiring compulsion. Unlike ROTS.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:59 am 

Dumbledore wrote:

Empire is obviously a better film than A New Hope, but I don’t enjoy it as much so hey

That's fair enough. They are both regarded as masterpieces of the genre and two very different films.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:00 am 

fudge off, Brazil, with the whole posting the same thing as me a bit quicker because I have keyboard diarrhoea.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:01 am 

Mahoney wrote:
fudge off, Brazil, with the whole posting the same thing as me a bit quicker because I have keyboard diarrhoea.

I think, in the case of ROTS, it bears repeating. Same as Prometheus.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:29 am 

eldanielfire wrote:
Turbogoat wrote:

Luke had literally never met Obi-Wan before the events of A New Hope. He'd heard of him as some quasi-mythic old dude but when they met for the first time Luke had to ask Obi-Wan if he knew who Obi-Wan Kenobi was. Your explanation hangs together, just about, as regards the fact that Luke needed consoling to get over the death of one guy he'd just met because he was callow and naive but Leia was fine having lost her home and everything she loved because she wasn't new to this whole Rebellion schtick and knew what the stakes were, but it's mostly a case of Protagonist Centred Morality.

Last edited by Chuckles1188 on Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:30 am 

Brazil wrote:
Bullettyme wrote:
covrich wrote:

"My Empire!"

"You will try".

"I HAAAAATE YOOOOOU!"

"NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!"

It was marginally less terrible than its predecessors, but still a largely shite green-screen-dominated shambles of a film with lousy dialogue. And the word "younglings", FFS.

They were starting to get really clever with the product placement

Brazil wrote:
Bullettyme wrote:
covrich wrote:

"My Empire!"

"You will try".

"I HAAAAATE YOOOOOU!"

"NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!"

Let's also not forget this Oscar winning scene:

Quote:
Anakin: You are so…beautiful.
Padme: It’s only because I’m so in love.
Anakin: No. No, it’s because I’m so in love with you.
Padme: Then love has blinded you?
Anakin: Well…that’s not exactly what I meant.
Padme: But it’s probably true.

Chuckles1188 wrote:
Luke had literally never met Obi-Wan before the events of A New Hope. He'd heard of him as some quasi-mythic old dude but when they met for the first time Luke had to ask Obi-Wan if he knew who Obi-Wan Kenobi was. Your explanation hangs together, just about, as regards the fact that Luke needed consoling to get over the death of one guy he'd just met but Leia was fine having lost her home and everything she loved, but it's mostly a case of Protagonist Centred Morality.

He asks him that because he knows him as Ben Kenobi. Before he meets him on film he refers to "Old Ben" as if it's someone he's well aware of.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:31 am 

For some reason no-one in the Star Wars universe ever puts two and two together when it comes to famous surnames.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:32 am 

Mahoney wrote:
Chuckles1188 wrote:
Luke had literally never met Obi-Wan before the events of A New Hope. He'd heard of him as some quasi-mythic old dude but when they met for the first time Luke had to ask Obi-Wan if he knew who Obi-Wan Kenobi was. Your explanation hangs together, just about, as regards the fact that Luke needed consoling to get over the death of one guy he'd just met but Leia was fine having lost her home and everything she loved, but it's mostly a case of Protagonist Centred Morality.

He asks him that because he knows him as Ben Kenobi. Before he meets him on film he refers to "Old Ben" as if it's someone he's well aware of.

Aware of but very obviously had not met before. The dialogue is not ambiguous about Luke's prior relationship with him - he doesn't have one

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:32 am 

Bullettyme wrote:
Brazil wrote:
Bullettyme wrote:
covrich wrote:

"My Empire!"

"You will try".

"I HAAAAATE YOOOOOU!"

"NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!"

Let's also not forget this Oscar winning scene:

Quote:
Anakin: You are so…beautiful.
Padme: It’s only because I’m so in love.
Anakin: No. No, it’s because I’m so in love with you.
Padme: Then love has blinded you?
Anakin: Well…that’s not exactly what I meant.
Padme: But it’s probably true.

:lol: :lol: Though weirdly, if you give that to Minnie Driver and John Cussak in Grosse Pointe Blank it works really well.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:36 am 

Luke literally recognises him the moment he sees him - "Ben? Ben Kenobi? Boy am I glad to see you!".
https://youtu.be/YZ_mjtTCdcg?t=60

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:36 am 

Mahoney wrote:
For some reason no-one in the Star Wars universe ever puts two and two together when it comes to famous surnames.

Kenobi is like Smith on Tatooine.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:37 am 

Mahoney wrote:
Luke literally recognises him the moment he sees him - "Ben? Ben Kenobi? Boy am I glad to see you!".
https://youtu.be/YZ_mjtTCdcg?t=60

Because he's aware of who he is.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:40 am 

Brazil wrote:
:lol: :lol: Though weirdly, if you give that to Minnie Driver and John Cussak in Grosse Pointe Blank it works really well.

John Cusack in Grosse Pointe mode as Anakin could have saved those films.

Quote:
Watto: What have you been doing with your life?

Anakin: Uh... jedi killer.

Watto: Oh! Good for you, it's a growth industry.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 429 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next