Chat Forum
It is currently Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:20 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 816 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 21  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Age of Outrage
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:54 pm 

"Terrorist soldiers." I don't think so flaggs. :thumbdown:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:55 pm 

ponti what's your breaking point? When do you just go fcuk it and take your family off to that island?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:56 pm 

Bowens wrote:

Yeah sorry. I meant more that dead kids in those parts of the world are an easy way for arseholes to manipulate and get others to spread even more bloodshed.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:56 pm 

shanky wrote:
pontifex wrote:
shanky wrote:
My comment was to say I had a different set of experiences and that it didn’t mean yours weren’t valid

I go all over Germany and I can honestly say I have seen very little of your ghetto-type experiences.

For the major part, Germany just rolls along with all it’s Germanic oompa-loompa-ness

That’s a fact. I apologise if it’s an unfortunate one.

I go all over Germany too, and the ghettos are in fact worse elsewhere than in Berlin. You may do a bit of tourism here and there. Germany is not all kitsch, Ludwig's castle and Christmas markets. People actually have to live here.

Ghettoes everywhere.

Yup, got it.

Have you met Mog?

Stop being a twat. :?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:58 pm 

Bowens wrote:

Plenty of terrorist soldiers. No difference killing for oil or killing for god.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:59 pm 

flaggETERNAL wrote:
ponti what's your breaking point? When do you just go fcuk it and take your family off to that island?

Mate, I'm treading water till I get out of here. I'm done trying to smile at the people around me and having it thrown back in my face because the level of social trust is so low. I couldn't get a light on the street a few weeks ago because nobody would even acknowledge that I had spoken to them (and while I"m shaggy, I'm no threat). Above all, I really want to reconnect with a more physical, down to earth life. That's what I want for my kids (as yet unconceived), too, and I have an opportunity to give it to them.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:01 pm 

This makes for pretty sad reading, regardless of political viewpoint.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:02 pm 

acenas of the day wrote:
Bowens wrote:

In the US, enlisted military come from heavily low-income backgrounds (many minorities - especially the army). They get no benefit from middle eastern conflict. The politicians and lobbyists that send them to war do.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:11 pm 

Bowens wrote:
acenas of the day wrote:
Bowens wrote:

In the US, enlisted military come from heavily low-income backgrounds (many minorities - especially the army). They get no benefit from middle eastern conflict. The politicians and lobbyists that send them to war do.

It's uncanny how those bone spurs kept popping up on the kids of the rich people only.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:23 pm 

Bowens wrote:
acenas of the day wrote:
Bowens wrote:

I would like to see some data that backs that up.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:27 pm 

Sonny Blount wrote:
Bowens wrote:
acenas of the day wrote:
Bowens wrote:

I would like to see some data that backs that up.

Since the end of the draft, it's actually changed.

http://www.heritage.org/defense/report/ ... d-officers

Quote:
Enlisted recruits in 2006 and 2007 came primarily from middle-class and upper-middle-class backgrounds. Low-income neighborhoods were underrepresented among enlisted troops, while middle-class and high-income neighborhoods were overrepresented...

Every income category above $40,000 per year is overrepresented in the active-duty enlisted force, while every income category below $40,000 a year is underrepresented. Low-income families are significantly underrepresented in the military. U.S. military enlistees disproportionately come from upper-middle-class families.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:29 pm 

That's old data.

https://m.goarmy.com/content/dam/goarmy ... aphics.pdf

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:41 pm 

acenas of the day wrote:
Only place I haven't see daily hate crimes against brown people is NZ and actually parts of the USA.

Australia is worse than europe even. My family there got rocks thrown at us because they thought we were aboriginal australians.

Hilarious seeing white people here act like victims.

What do you expect when you insult our cooking

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:45 pm 

BTW, I will acknowledge that I exaggerate a bit, but not much. For instance, above, I claimed that I couldn't get a light. I eventually did, of course. But 3 people (smokers, since there's no point asking someone who's not smoking) just blanked me like I didn't exist. I also said the building across the road burnt down, but only the shop burnt out (due to good work from the fireies). Apart from that, I'm sad to say I'm not consciously exaggerating, although what I report didn't all happen in the last 6 months, more like 2 years, which may make it seem more full-on than it really is.

Thanks for a bit of understanding from some, by the way. Some may be cut out for living in an ever cooling version of northern European culture, but not me. I could probably move to another neighbourhood, and I'd probably feel better (not sure my long term extrapolation would, unfortunately), but the reality is Germans are hard to live with, which is an unacknowledged part of the problem.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:46 pm 

acenas of the day wrote:
Only place I haven't see daily hate crimes against brown people is NZ and actually parts of the USA.

Australia is worse than europe even. My family there got rocks thrown at us because they thought we were aboriginal australians.

Hilarious seeing white people here act like victims.

Yay! Global race war!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:56 pm 

pontifex wrote:
BTW, I will acknowledge that I exaggerate a bit, but not much. For instance, above, I claimed that I couldn't get a light. I eventually did, of course. But 3 people (smokers, since there's no point asking someone who's not smoking) just blanked me like I didn't exist. I also said the building across the road burnt down, but only the shop burnt out (due to good work from the fireies). Apart from that, I'm sad to say I'm not consciously exaggerating, although what I report didn't all happen in the last 6 months, more like 2 years, which may make it seem more full-on than it really is.

Thanks for a bit of understanding from some, by the way. Some may be cut out for living in an ever cooling version of northern European culture, but not me. I could probably move to another neighbourhood, and I'd probably feel better (not sure my long term extrapolation would, unfortunately), but the reality is Germans are hard to live with, which is an unacknowledged part of the problem.

You're a brilliant dude ponti, enjoy reading your posts even if I don't always agree.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:59 pm 

Bowens wrote:
pontifex wrote:

You're a brilliant dude ponti, enjoy reading your posts even if I don't always agree.

:lol: Not what you said a couple of years ago, mate! :lol: :lol: :lol:
But cheers.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:01 pm 

Santa wrote:
pontifex wrote:
See, this for me is exactly the problem. The longer people refuse to acknowledge what's in front of their eyes, the more likely people who agree with Seneca here are to end up in power. The window of opportunity for a liberal solution to this mess is fast closing. I am betting that it may be closed already, and if it is not that we will probably miss it because we are really no closer to discussing it rationally than we were two years ago, and you'll end up with a police state in which any and all dissent will be criminalised, or with DAC, Seneca and people like them doing it their way, which will end up with the former plus blood. (That is not meant to be an empty diss, but you know what you've proposed). I am deeply distressed by what I see, it doesn't give me any pleasure because I quite enjoyed living in a pluralist neighbourhood up until it started to take a darker turn, and I don't want what I'm saying to be true either, but the reality is that nobody, anywhere, ever, has been able to inform me of a plan, an idea they had - some mechanism, any mechanism - by which things would get better, rather than worse. If someone has one, please feel free to share it. Because wishing reality away, or that the people reporting it are bad faith actors, aren't solutions.

I'm hard pressed to think of any solution that won't require violent defence of the borders and violent suppression of internal opposition to the solution.

Border defence should go without saying

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:01 pm 

We all change. ;)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:07 pm 

flaggETERNAL wrote:

I'm surprised he's stuck it out this long. About a year ago he posted that a budget airline employee - with a middle eastern appearance naturally - was rude to him during boarding and that this experience provided him with a major bit of evidence that western civilization was on the brink of an muslim-horde armaggedon.

He cannot see beyond his own anecdotes to accept that it's simply a fact that lots of ugly anti-social shit happens in poor/deprived areas of cities particularly in large ones regardless of ethnic or religious composition. Anyone who's ever lived in a run-down part of a city or has read a history of any city, will know that it's been like this forever.

But if you try to talk him down from his apocalyptic fantasy, you'll be told quickly that your experiences are worthless and that only his experiences qualify. Only he has experienced immigration first-hand and in fact what he has experienced must be what everyone else in Germany is experiencing. And if they wont admit it, then they're contributing to the demise of the west.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:08 pm 

Wilson's Toffee wrote:
Bokkom wrote:
Shanky lived in Africa too...once upon a time.
;)

Remember how the apartheid police arrested his best (black) friends, for having the effrontery to address a white boy ? In person, nogal ....

Shanky - a wonderboy.

:?

Anyway, not for hijacking this thread.

Last edited by shanky on Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:09 pm 

derriz wrote:
flaggETERNAL wrote:

I'm surprised he's stuck it out this long. About a year ago he posted that a budget airline employee - with a middle eastern appearance naturally - was rude to him during boarding and that this experience provided him with a major bit of evidence that western civilization was on the brink of an muslim-horde armaggedon.

He cannot see beyond his own anecdotes to accept that it's simply a fact that lots of ugly anti-social shit happens in poor/deprived areas of cities particularly in large ones regardless of ethnic or religious composition. Anyone who's ever lived in a run-down part of a city or has read a history of any city, will know that it's been like this forever.

But if you try to talk him down from his apocalyptic fantasy, you'll be told quickly that your experiences are worthless and that only his experiences qualify. Only he has experienced immigration first-hand and in fact what he has experienced must be what everyone else in Germany is experiencing. And if they wont admit it, then they're contributing to the demise of the west.

Was wondering when you'd show your face. Quite brave, really, given your performance last year. How are those deportations going? You remember, from Italy to Germany, then back again. How many failed asylum seekers have been removed, rather than shuffled on to another EU country? Love how you ignore everything but the rude easyjet employee, by the way... Yes, that's my only indicator that things are not going well. I see also that you're still using biblical language to try to exaggerate my claims for effect. I don't actually use very strong language, that's your cheap trick. Although I do believe that war is a very possible outcome in the medium term.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:29 am 

pontifex wrote:
derriz wrote:
flaggETERNAL wrote:

Was wondering when you'd show your face. Quite brave, really, given your performance last year. How are those deportations going? You remember, from Italy to Germany, then back again. How many failed asylum seekers have been removed, rather than shuffled on to another EU country? Love how you ignore everything but the rude easyjet employee, by the way... Yes, that's my only indicator that things are not going well. I see also that you're still using biblical language to try to exaggerate my claims for effect. I don't actually use very strong language, that's your cheap trick. Although I do believe that war is a very possible outcome in the medium term.

So this year we have to add to your gems of evidence which includes a rude easyjet employee, we have the fact that 2 people blanked you when you asked for a light for your cigarette on the street. And that, gasp, you've observed anti-social behavior and street level minor crime while living for 2 or 3 years in a poor part of a large but statistically not-wealthy city.

So you're sticking your neck out to bravely predict that some vague time in the future there MAY be "war" of an unspecified nature. Interesting - sounds like you really know what's going doing down. How many millions do you think will die?

Indeed, you'll probably be alot safer alone farming on your island with your machine gun turrets. You'll have the last laugh as us sheeple living in our western cities get wiped out.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:17 am 

Yeah, no doubt the capital of a country which has just experimented with taking in 2 million plus irregular arrivals from warzones pales in comparison to the meanstreets of Dublin in your student days. Nothing to see in anything I've reported, just a bit of anti-social behaviour and petty crime. It's just part and parcel of living in a big city, and the motivations are all just simple economic deprivation.

The problem is, minimising the issue, gaslighting the population, and then demonising those who retain their mental sovereignty, will only work for so long. And only as long as there is a plan which improves things. Last year you claimed - nay, insisted - that there was some great plan for actually removing those who had come to Europe without the legal right to do so. That European states weren't just shifting people onto each others' books. What happened to that?

What do you bean counters in Strasbourg have up your sleeves to quell the plebs before they demand Seneca put you up against the wall? Or do you simply hope that the plebs will eventually embrace the dystopia they have had foisted upon them, with the right mix of propaganda and coercion?

I don't need some precise outline of how exactly war will come, since war is just what comes when there is no other possibility. So what's the concrete plan for keeping us from slowly dissolving into a state of general conflagration? I'd genuinely rejoice to hear one that's convincing.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:44 pm 

So war is inevitable in your mind? You see the immigrant Kurds, pro and anti-Erdogan Turks, Sunnis and Shias, Libyans and Syrians and Afghanistis putting aside their differences and uniting in a fifth-column style military attack on Europe?

And net migration fell massively in Germany last year. It's now far lower than the EU average and a fraction of that of countries like Canada, Australia or the US. And before that wasn't the first time that Germany has taken in millions in a relatively short span of years - around 3 million net arrived in a five year period in the 90s. You've no historical perspective.

And none of what you've witnessed has shocked me. I've been mugged at knife point and seen a guy get glassed in the neck - bad shit happens in the world, it's unpleasant but it doesn't signify the end of civilization. You need to get a bit of perspective but I can't see that happening - you've given being refused a light for a cigarette and experiencing budget airline staff rudeness as some of the reasons to move to an isolated farm on an island.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:56 pm 

derriz wrote:
So war is inevitable in your mind? You see the immigrant Kurds, pro and anti-Erdogan Turks, Sunnis and Shias, Libyans and Syrians and Afghanistis putting aside their differences and uniting in a fifth-column style military attack on Europe?

And net migration fell massively in Germany last year. It's now far lower than the EU average and a fraction of that of countries like Canada, Australia or the US. And before that wasn't the first time that Germany has taken in millions in a relatively short span of years - around 3 million net arrived in a five year period in the 90s. You've no historical perspective.

And none of what you've witnessed has shocked me. I've been mugged at knife point and seen a guy get glassed in the neck - bad shit happens in the world, it's unpleasant but it doesn't signify the end of civilization. You need to get a bit of perspective but I can't see that happening - you've given being refused a light for a cigarette and experiencing budget airline staff rudeness as some of the reasons to move to an isolated farm on an island.

Because we have our own nutcases we should import more?
http://www.thejournal.ie/dundalk-stabbi ... 6-Jan2018/
Glass attack does not compare to Bataclan.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:59 pm 

lorcanoworms wrote:
derriz wrote:

We have our own nutcases, and statistically the vast majority of the people coming over are not nutcases, so maybe we need a more sophisticated, nuanced approach to dealing with all the nutcases than trying to hide a small fraction of them behind a wall, either literally or metaphorically

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:02 pm 

Chuckles1188 wrote:
lorcanoworms wrote:
derriz wrote:

We have our own nutcases, and statistically the vast majority of the people coming over are not nutcases, so maybe we need a more sophisticated, nuanced approach to dealing with all the nutcases than trying to hide a small fraction of them behind a wall, either literally or metaphorically

Cant believe you are serious.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:18 pm 

derriz wrote:

Ha! This is not just incredibly disingenuous, it's actual, literal gaslighting. Trivialising my concerns by highlighting the throwaway examples I used to discuss the dissolution of social trust, while pretending that the more concrete examples of emergent cleavages and violence are just 'part and parcel of life in the big city'. I don't know how the factions will line up, but I don't assume that any conflict will look like the conflicts of the 19th Century, as you appear to. And for what it's worth I suspect that the first cleavages to express themselves violently will be between the European right and left, as is clear from my earlier posts. But then again, all you really have is taking my weakest points and pretending they're my strongest, and misrepresenting almost everything I said. You also, deliberately, neglect to take into account that there have already been military scale attacks on European cities, and more are expected.

You still haven't presented a mechanism by which to stop the slow drift into alienation, distrust, crime and eventually war that the perfect storm of neoliberal technocracy will cause. And the reality is that the mechanism will be the creation of a total police state, which monitors people's every moment, similar to the Chinese Social credit rating experiment, with perhaps a more hands on policing focus, due to the genuine tensions which will be present.

The reasons why I'm going to live on an island are many - again, you collapse the many reasons I have given into an absurd caricature in order to attempt to have a rhetorical 'win' (Yay for you!) - the main ones related to lifestyle and wanting to live in something approximating a community, but I also don't want to have to make Hobson's choice when it is thrust upon me by the irresponsible, autistic policies of elite technocratic beancounters whose understanding of humans is as units on a spreadsheet.

Last edited by pontifex on Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:20 pm 

Chuckles1188 wrote:
lorcanoworms wrote:
derriz wrote:

Any advice for that sophisticated, nuanced approach? Or are you just doing wordy-wordy stuff?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:22 pm 

Neither

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:48 pm 

And yeah, it's all just made up by me: https://www.welt.de/politik/article1721 ... tellt.html

I had been reluctant to do so, since I was just presenting first person experiences, but now maybe we can start to discuss all the empirical data which was not experienced by me, since you can't gaslight that.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:51 pm 

ponti:

" there have already been military scale attacks on European cities"

Which do you think match that description?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:55 pm 

JM2K6 wrote:
ponti:

Bataclan, certainly.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:00 pm 

pontifex wrote:
JM2K6 wrote:
ponti:

Bataclan, certainly.

No. I think in this case you've misunderstood what the other poster said. The Bataclan was not a military scale attack - it was three guys. Just because there's surprisingly easy access to military hardware that can do a lot of damage, doesn't mean that it's a military scale attack. derriz was talking about military conflict.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:01 pm 

Can somebody clarify the difference between a terrorist attack and a military style attack?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:02 pm 

FWIW, There are caches of military grade weapons being found with reasonable frequency in some parts of Europe, linked to Islamic extremism. I wonder why those weapons are being collected and stored. How do anti-tank weapons aid petty, big-city crime of the kind our friend Derriz is so concerned about?

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-39264664

https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/68 ... man-mosque

And even if these weapons will exclusively be used on the streets of areas like mine in inter-clan skirmishes, that is no f**king comfort.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:12 pm 

JM2K6 wrote:
pontifex wrote:
JM2K6 wrote:
ponti:

Bataclan, certainly.

No. I think in this case you've misunderstood what the other poster said. The Bataclan was not a military scale attack - it was three guys. Just because there's surprisingly easy access to military hardware that can do a lot of damage, doesn't mean that it's a military scale attack. derriz was talking about military conflict.

The night of Bataclan was not 3 guys. There were 3 events and I believe at least 5 soldiers, with presumably far more actors involved in planning. But point taken. The security services have so far kept macro-terrorisms to a level which has only meant that people are accepting the dissolution of their freedoms, it's not yet at a level that they are calling for the heads of people who allowed this malaise to fester unchecked. I've been focussing on micro-terrorisms here, of the kind that don't get news coverage (though some probably would have not all that long ago, and you can guarantee if symbols of violent European nationalism were being worn at the rate the knife pendants are, it would be all over the news). Anyway, I've made my bets and I don't have time to have my day gish galloped away by people who want to dwell on one or two loose words I use. Everybody is aware at some level of what's happening and the risks we face, of that I am absolutely convinced.

Last edited by pontifex on Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:14 pm 

pontifex wrote:
FWIW, There are caches of military grade weapons being found with reasonable frequency in some parts of Europe, linked to Islamic extremism. I wonder why those weapons are being collected and stored. How do anti-tank weapons aid petty, big-city crime of the kind our friend Derriz is so concerned about?

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-39264664

https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/68 ... man-mosque

And even if these weapons will exclusively be used on the streets of areas like mine in inter-clan skirmishes, that is no f**king comfort.

On the first link: absolutely. Criminal groups stealing, stockpiling this stuff and selling off what they don't want to the highest bidder is a huge problem. This was an organised crime group's stash and is a good example of how this sort of thing can get into the hands of other people more likely to use it directly against 'civilians', i.e. islamic terrorists and the like. It's not an Islamic terrorism cache.

The second link is absolutely shocking but I cannot find a single credible article on it. The photo's not from Germany, it's from Syria in 2015 (according to the comments) and while I understand that you probably believe the Western media wouldn't want to report on this sort of thing, I would have thought there's plenty of places that would be all over something like this.

Final line: Yep, agreed.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:17 pm 

pontifex wrote:
JM2K6 wrote:
pontifex wrote:
JM2K6 wrote:
ponti:

Bataclan, certainly.

The night of Bataclan was not 3 guys. There were 3 events and I believe at least 5 soldiers, with presumably far more actors involved in planning. But point taken. The security services have so far kept macro-terrorisms to a level which has only meant that people are accepting the dissolution of their freedoms, it's not yet at a level that they are calling for the heads of people who allowed this malaise to fester unchecked. I've been focussing on micro-terrorisms here, of the kind that don't get news coverage (though some probably would have not all that long ago, and you can guarantee if symbols of violent European nationalism were being worn at the rate the knife pendants are, it would be all over the news). Anyway, I've made my bets and I don't have time to have my day gish galloped away. Everybody is aware at some level of what's happening and the risks we face, of that I am absolutely convinced.

It's not a gish gallop to point out that there's a disconnect between derriz taking the talk of 'war' to be a military scale conflict and your response not being about the same. I'm not engaging on the stuff you've posted about, merely trying to bring some clarity to the disagreement.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 816 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 21  Next