Chat Forum
It is currently Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:42 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:05 am 

Been lent a Focus Jam2 to play around on and have never had so much reaction from people, both ways, especially the haters who get all sniffy and call me a cheat.
Not only do I find myself going much further afield, but I think of it like a ski chairlift as it gets me to the top quicker so that I can scare the crap out of myself on descents more. For me, that's the point of mountain biking - explore and push your technique. If you want to slog up hills, get some Lycra and a road bike.

Thoughts?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:47 am 

Sister in law has a KTM. Loves it, and it gets her out of the house more, which is the object of the exercise

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:51 am 

I think they're a good idea. Half way between a normal MTB and an uplift service. If it gets fatties like me out onto the trail then it can't be all bad.

The electric KTM range also look quite interesting, and I'd be banging down their door if it didn't have quite so short a range. I'd need to ride about 15 miles from home to get to anywhere interesting to use it, so that range really won't work with a 30 mile round trip on the road.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:53 am 

Do whatever makes you happy. Try not to be too much of a nobber about where and how you ride. Don't be surprised if people are judgemental, you are too (riding up hills = wear Lycra and get a road bike).

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:57 am 

Thoughts?

Have you ever lived in Coogee?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:34 pm 

They are devil spawn.

You have to earn the thrill of the downhills - that's what mountain biking is all about.
If you're all about the downhill - buy an uplift pass & stick to the downhill courses.
Don't want loads of fatties on e-bikes clogging up my lovely trails.

Why walk anywhere when you can buy a Segway?
Sitting on an e-bike is not exercise.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:59 pm 

Nay. Unacceptable unless you have an injury or are really old but most who use them are just lazy. The extra weight doesn't do much for the handling of the bike downhill.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:11 pm 

Where do you stash the extension cord?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:21 pm 

saw loads of them last summer in the Dolomites - mainly as they passed me while i was hauling my ample frame up the mountain on my fully human-powered bike.

Unless you're an octogenarian cerebral palsy-suffering wheezing asthmatic - it's a Nay from me.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:26 pm 

They are quite common here in Holland, lot of people use them as they pretty much double the distance you can reasonably commute by bike, you have some people here doing 25 to 30km each way which lets face it you'd not normally be able to do on a bike unless you are very fit / insane

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:33 pm 

As long as you are not using them to cheat in a race, live and let live. Anything that encourages excercise( even assisted ) can only be a good thing!!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:48 pm 

sewa wrote:
They are quite common here in Holland, lot of people use them as they pretty much double the distance you can reasonably commute by bike, you have some people here doing 25 to 30km each way which lets face it you'd not normally be able to do on a bike unless you are very fit / insane

That's not really the point - No one has a problem with using electric bikes for commuting

It's their use off-road on trails / in national parks that is the issue - Thankfully I can see them being banned from certain areas soon (already started happening in parts of the US).

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:51 pm 

sewa wrote:

e bikes are great for commuting, i use one everyday saves me 1hr per day in the transports, but really don't see the interest of a mountain e bike for that

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:53 pm 

P in VG wrote:
sewa wrote:

That's not really the point - No one has a problem with using electric bikes for commuting

It's their use off-road on trails / in national parks that is the issue - Thankfully I can see them being banned from certain areas soon (already started happening in parts of the US).

Why do you care??

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:00 pm 

Openside wrote:
P in VG wrote:
sewa wrote:

Why do you care??

Because I go mountain biking in order to get out the middle of nowhere, challenge myself & enjoy the great outdoors. I don't want to pull over every 5 minutes for some fat git to whizz past on his electric behemoth.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:02 pm 

P in VG wrote:
Openside wrote:
P in VG wrote:
sewa wrote:

Why do you care??

Because I go mountain biking in order to get out the middle of nowhere, challenge myself & enjoy the great outdoors. I don't want to pull over every 5 minutes for some fat git to whizz past on his electric behemoth.

So the great outdoors is only to be enjoyed as per your regime?? They make little or no noise (I assume)...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:06 pm 

Openside wrote:
P in VG wrote:
Openside wrote:
P in VG wrote:
sewa wrote:

Why do you care??

So the great outdoors is only to be enjoyed as per your regime?? They make little or no noise (I assume)...

e-bikes are heavier, the average user is probably heavier, and they are able to go for longer / do multiple runs - so they lead to greater trail erosion & degradation

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:06 pm 

Remember that Sir looks upon degradation in a positive light.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:30 pm 

Went out on it for a few hours this morning - conditions were horrible and I can say in absolute certainly that not only would I not have made it on my 'normal' bike, but I wouldn't have bothered trying anyway. And it was still a lung busting, leg killer. I'm sold.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:45 pm 

They are becoming extremely popular here. I ride with a guy in his seventies and he has a Scott Genius E Bike. He's getting out far more frequently and doing 3 or 4 times the mileage he was previously. At his age he simply couldn't do those miles without assistance. So they have their place. I'm in two minds about them. I certainly won't be getting one in the near future. As someone else mentioned i do wonder how the extra weight affects handling on the downhills.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:52 pm 

Punter15 wrote:
Been lent a Focus Jam2 to play around on and have never had so much reaction from people, both ways, especially the haters who get all sniffy and call me a cheat.
Not only do I find myself going much further afield, but I think of it like a ski chairlift as it gets me to the top quicker so that I can scare the crap out of myself on descents more. For me, that's the point of mountain biking - explore and push your technique. If you want to slog up hills, get some Lycra and a road bike.

Thoughts?

Stupid statement. There's a big difference between mountain bike hill climbing and road riding. I enjoy the climbing and don't need a battery powered mobility scooter to get me up the hills.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:59 pm 

Punter15 wrote:

Thoughts?

Don't listen to the haters. Everyone should just get on with doing what they want to do when it comes to cycling. Tell those people who have a go at you for riding an e-bike or any bike or dressing any way to FCUK RIGHT OFF

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:08 pm 

Lame.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:46 pm 

Christ, the way some of you are going on you'd think an electric bike had repeatedly run over your firstborn.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:44 pm 

Punter15 wrote:

Thoughts?

A mate here who is a helicopter pilot and very good cyclist mentioned on the weekend that the number of helicopter evac flights has increased significantly because people who don't have the fitness or technical skills are now able to "cycle" up mountains that they would normally not be able to, and then end up injuring themselves badly on the downhills.
A lot of pensioners are also hurting themselves here on E-Bikes as they don't have the reaction times needed.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:49 pm 

swissguy wrote:
Punter15 wrote:

Thoughts?

A mate here who is a helicopter pilot and very good cyclist mentioned on the weekend that the number of helicopter evac flights has increased significantly because people who don't have the fitness or technical skills are now able to "cycle" up mountains that they would normally not be able to, and then end up injuring themselves badly on the downhills.
A lot of pensioners are also hurting themselves here on E-Bikes as they don't have the reaction times needed.

These are all terrible excuses.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:05 pm 

sewa wrote:

Eh? :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:12 pm 

swissguy wrote:
Punter15 wrote:

Thoughts?

This was one of the biggest points of the negative arguments against E Bikes when they first arrived on the MTB scene. I haven't seen it first hand myself but imagine there is massive potential risk. It's like novice skiers ending up in black diamond terrain. No fun for anybody.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:27 pm 

booji boy wrote:
They are becoming extremely popular here. I ride with a guy in his seventies and he has a Scott Genius E Bike. He's getting out far more frequently and doing 3 or 4 times the mileage he was previously. At his age he simply couldn't do those miles without assistance. So they have their place. I'm in two minds about them. I certainly won't be getting one in the near future. As someone else mentioned i do wonder how the extra weight affects handling on the downhills.

Granted an e-bike weighs a lot more than a standard modern bike, but does it really weight that much more than, say, a 1950s all-steel road bike that has probably been down all the same mountains? Or the old bone shakers that the original MTB riders were using in the 70s/80s?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:45 pm 

DOB wrote:
booji boy wrote:

Granted an e-bike weighs a lot more than a standard modern bike, but does it really weight that much more than, say, a 1950s all-steel road bike that has probably been down all the same mountains? Or the old bone shakers that the original MTB riders were using in the 70s/80s?

When you talk about 1950s all steel road bike down 'all the same mountains' are you talking about road riding because I don't know anyone that would have ridden a bike like that on technical mountain bike downhill trails. On road handling would hardly be affected. I'm talking about off road handling where you are throwing the bike around. But yeah I'm sure a modern E Bike like my friends Scott Genius would still handle like a dream compared to the old fully rigid bone shakers of the 70s and 80s. :nod:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:51 pm 

I'd rather England win the RWC than allow riding electric mountain bikes on mountain bike trails.

They're motorbikes - if they're used on motorbike trails or fire roads, fine.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:03 pm 

What's the point? Just go the whole hog and get a scrambler.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:42 am 

General dislike of cheating. Trouble being I ride with a octogenarian who bought one about four tears ago, hes into electrics and electronics so has modified it even to the extent of fixing two batteries to do 90 plus kms. The fact that he can still get out with us young uns is a real bonus that you gotta love.
Still cheating.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:53 am 

Not mountain bikes and not really an ebike, but this is a massive part of the future...

https://content.superpedestrian.com/

I want to get one to play with. Looks like hell fun.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:38 am 

You have arrived at Afan forrest and are looking at a 800 feet uphill slog. Cwymcarn even worse x( Or you can step into the teleporter and be at the top of the trail. Yes from me.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:02 am 

guy smiley wrote:
Not mountain bikes and not really an ebike, but this is a massive part of the future...

https://content.superpedestrian.com/

I want to get one to play with. Looks like hell fun.
NZ $2100 and won't take a disc. Hmmm.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:15 am 

It's aimed at city commuters so a disc isn't vital and the cost should be compared against ebikes really... over here in Perth I've seen next generation ebikes retailing at 4K.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:00 am 

Uncle Fester wrote:

The point is that is what they want to do. If they wanted a scrambler they would one. Clearly it does not appeal to you but why is it so hard to accept that others find it apealing

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:30 am 

Anonymous. wrote:
Uncle Fester wrote:

The point is that is what they want to do. If they wanted a scrambler they would one. Clearly it does not appeal to you but why is it so hard to accept that others find it apealing

Scramblers are so so 2017.

https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocial/n ... -scrambler

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:09 am 

Does anyone on here work for either local or central government that has introduced e-bikes to their workforce? If so, I’m keen to hear about the experience, in particular what H&S policies are in place, what training or evaluations were done (if any) prior to allowing employees to use them and how they were managed (assigned bike, centralised pool etc).