Chat Forum
It is currently Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:35 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Help required, Iceland..
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:01 pm 

Place I've always wanted to visit, so, myself and 17 year old daughter in February, suggestions please..

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:03 pm 

TB63 wrote:
Place I've always wanted to visit, so, myself and 17 year old daughter in February, suggestions please..

Don’t mention the (cod) war

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:06 pm 

TB63 wrote:

The bus trip round the island is pretty good. They take you to a lot of the Geysers.

Also the Blue Lagoon is a must but you can do that on the last day before flying out as its closer to the airport than town afaik.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:09 pm 

Great for pizzas, and their breaded mushrooms are good too.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:13 pm 

Everybody there has the surname Bjork

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:19 pm 

I know a couple of people who just used this to good effect, but they had younger kids and didn't want the hassle.

https://iceland.nordicvisitor.com/trave ... JAQAvD_BwE

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:36 pm 

Blue Lagoon, ring road, Evolcanothatnoonecanpronounce, Skogafoss.

Get recommendations for food from hostels, if you dont be prepared to pay a LOT.

February weather can be a bit dicey, so some or all of that can be weather dependent

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:38 pm 

The Golden Circle is what tourists do: https://guidetoiceland.is/best-of-icela ... den-circle

I went snowmobiling as well, which was awesome up on the ice sheet, but in winter not sure how viable that is.

Last edited by Seneca of the Night on Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:46 pm 

Just about to book golden tour, need to have separate beds as with daughter.

Sadly Globus ie, money no problem. .

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:49 pm 

I’m going later this month so I’ll let you know then.

We’ve pre-booked the Gooden Circle tour, a Northern Lights trip and the Blue Lagoon.

One tip I’ve been given for the Northern Lights trip is to do it on your first night. Apparently if you don’t see anything, most tour companies will take you out again for no additional charge.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:52 pm 

Please do, about to book it tomorrow, have had problems with daughter, need to spend time with her and feel this would help bonding..

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:10 am 

Tell everyone you play EVE online.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:34 am 

Game of Thrones Filming Locations Tour

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:37 am 

One of my workmates loves the place and goes up there quite a bit. I asked him for some info for another friend and he came up with a few bits, which I've found in my old emails

One of our party went on a Northern Lights trip when we were up there last year. She said it was a bit odd hanging round dark car parks at night but they did see the aurora. The Golden Circle is definitely worth it. They used to do very nice lamb soup at the Gullfoss visitor centre. The Secret Lagoon looks good – quite big, apparently, so it can cope with crowds.

In Reykjavík I like the Culture House museum – Viking artefacts, saga manuscripts, stuff they nicked from Lindisfarne. The view from the top of the church is excellent too (don’t worry, it’s got a lift). Harpa concert hall is worth a look around (and they do deals on lunch, ‘Frokost’ – the two Danish sandwiches plus dessert for one price is very filling though, would do to share).

Re: Eateries
There are quite a lot of eateries on the main shopping street, Laugavegur, and more opening up on the street that leads off there to the big church (Hallgrímskirkja), the unpronounceable (by most), Skólavorðustigur. There are ‘posher’ places near the square by the parliament, Austurvöllur (and some unfortunate burger joints).

Soup is often a good choice for lunch and a lot of places advertise deals. Last year we had delicious fish soup at Meze on Laugavegur and, though I’ve not tried it, the ‘soup in a bread’ at Svarta Kaffið is supposed to be good (looks filling). The best lunch we had was at Fish And More on Skólavorðustigur – handmade sandwiches and a pint, all for 1700kr. Highly recommended. Further afield, in the ‘Grandi’ area 20 mins walk from the centre, is Sjávarbarinn (Grandagata), which does great seafood (including soup). It’s also opposite a brewery (Bryggjans Brygghus). Gráí Kötturin (Grey Cat) on Hverfisgata does excellent breakfasts though the place is a little small and fills up quickly. One of our favourite haunts is Vegamót on Vegamótastigur, just off Laugavegur. Big portions but busy on a weekend. Íslenskibarinn on Ingólfsstræti does reasonable food and good beer – the ‘húsbjór’ (house beer) is good value. Download the Grapevine ‘Appy Hour’ app for deals on where to get a cheap drink. Kaldibar and Kaffibarinn are our favourites. For posh meals, I like Lækjarbrekka at the bottom of Laugavegur and Fiskfélag on Vesturgata. At the other end of the scales, Bæjarins Beztu Pylsur is a legendary hotdog stall on Tryggvagata; ask for ‘one with everything’ (450kr a pop).

From one of his older emails to me

Car hire: we used hasso.is (Magnus was a very helpful chap)
To and from Keflavik: you can book a bus beforehand with re.is or icelandexcursions.is or just pay at a kiosk in the airport. You do an odd change-around at the BSI bus depot which they don’t always explain clearly to you (switching from big buses to minibuses to get around the town centre and dropping you at your hotel). You can pick up a hire car from the airport too. I think a taxi is an option cost-wise if there are 3 or 4 people.
Blue Lagoon: worth a visit just for the experience if nothing else, can be combined with bus trip from the airport and booked ahead.
Golden Circle: takes in Thingvellir (old parliament by a lake), Geysir (geysers) and Gullfoss (waterfall); a full day tour includes a few other stops too. Full day recommended, as long as there’s enough daylight!

Reykjavík:
Hotels: I’ve stayed at Fosshotel Baron (a little on the edge of the centre but good), Skjaldbreid (noisy at the weekend as it’s right on the main drag), Leifur Eiriksson (recommended, by the big church) and Guesthouse Pisa (recommended budget option – you get a discount in the [reasonably priced and very pleasant] restaurant). There are lots of others: 101 is v. smart and v. expensive; Loftleidur is a bus ride out of town; Fron and Klopp central (and probably noisy at weekends).
Hallgrimskirkja: big church in central Reykjavík – take the lift to the top to look over the town
Laekjarbrekka: posh restaurant – very good but pricey
My favourite places: 12 Tonar record shop (12tonar.is) on Skolavordustigur; Kaffeebarinn – cool ramshackle bar on Bankastraeti; Sjavarbarinn seafood restaurant (sjavarbarinn.com) a bit of a hike out of town past the harbour but great food; Grai Kotturin on Hverfisgata (in a basement, spot it from the grey cat on the door) is a great place for breakfast http://www.grapevine.is/Food/ReadArticl ... t-Profile; Culture House museum (history of Iceland); City Hall (by the lake, Tjornin) has a massive relief map of the island and sometimes has some interesting arty exhibits; Islenskt Barinn on Austurvollur is a nice bar to hang out in – the soup was a tasty and cheap lunch
Art galleries: the National by Tjornin can be hit and miss – we saw a very poor show there once; Kjarvalstadir is a bit of a trek but has lots of stuff by the country’s biggest painter
Lots of bars, restaurants and shops along the main drag, Laugurvegur. Some smarter restaurants further downtown on Austurstraeti.
There’s a coffee terrace upstairs at the back of the Eymundsson bookshop on Austurstraeti which is nice if the weather’s warm.

Further afield:
Akureyri’s a nice, small town far up in the north (fly, drive, bus to get there) with good restaurants and a top bar (Blaa Kannan); good base for Myvatn (lake), Godafoss (waterfall), Dettifoss (another waterfall) and Asbyrgi (canyon). Probably need a hire car for these and the road to Dettifoss is unsurfaced and rough – all highly recommended though. You can fly to the Arctic Circle (on the island of Grimsey) from here (flugfelag.is)
Snaefellsnes peninsula: didn’t seem to be a lot to do (hiking and whale watching, perhaps)
West Fjords: stunning scenery, splendid isolation, not in the slightest bit touristy (so accommodation and restaurants are harder to find, and it’s a long way from anywhere).

Other websites:
www.icetourist.is
www.inspiredbyiceland.com

I haven’t done many of the ‘activity’ stuff they advertise – horse riding, whale watching, snowmobiles, 4x4ing, northern lights... – so I can’t really comment on them.

Other random stuff: books are expensive there; cash is available all over the place (i.e. no real need to change currency before travelling); credit cards are accepted everywhere (including taxis); everyone speaks English; people start partying at weekends after 10pm; buy booze in the airport on the way in (much cheaper than in the off-licences).

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:38 am 

We went last year and had a great time, it’s expensive but worth it.

Golden circle tour is excellent, highlight was the Geysers for me.

We didn’t do the blue lagoon but went to the Secret lagoon instead (we saw it on a Rick Stein episode the week before and plumped for it) much smaller than the blue lagoon but excellent experience.

We got a great viewing of the Northern Lights, be warned though it isn’t quite as spectacular in reality as it is in photographs taken through a delayed lense (download an app for this). My missus was disappointed but only because she expected some sort of Pink Floyd light show.

If you can book a hotel with a food preparation area (most of them have it) you will save a fortune on breakfast and lunch if you can pop to the supermarket and make up sandwiches etc to eat during the day trips. The supermarkets aren’t cheap but a lot cheaper than the cafes and restaurants.

Have a great time, it’s an excellent trip.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:47 am 

There's a place in Reykjavik called Ramen Momo where you can get a good sized ramen for relatively cheap (€15)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:49 am 

I have never been to Iceland, nor do I have any information that may of be of value.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:50 am 

TB63 wrote:

Always stayed at the Hotel Borg when I visited. Nice art deco hotel and a good place to base yourself for trips etc...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:37 am 

How long are you going for?

While there are plenty of bus tours available I would have a look at car hire. For a small run around it was actually quite reasonably priced and it was great to have the freedom to go where you wanted on your own schedule and stop at places outside of the main tourist sites. Its virtually impossible to get lost as the road network is pretty basic.

Most people if there for a short time do the 'Golden Triangle' which is the SW corner of Iceland and comprises of the Þingvellir National Park, the Gullfoss waterfall, and the geothermal area in Haukadalur (geysers). All this can be done in one (long) day.

If you are staying for longer there are some awesome treks, ice climbing and glacier walking that you can get stuck into. Go for a soak and a beer at the Blue Lagoon as well.

Reykjavik is really a large town by European standards and can be easily navigated on foot the 'old town' that you will probably end up staying in packs a surprising number of bars and restaurants. Generally the bars don't get hopping till late doors and the Icelandics are fierce drinkers. Since the financial crash prices have come down but it is still worth checking menus as sometimes even the most innocuous meals can cost a fortune. Iceland is a virtually cashless society, don't bother changing money.

Icelandic women are hot

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:40 am 

The Sun God wrote:
TB63 wrote:

Always stayed at the Hotel Borg when I visited. Nice art deco hotel and a good place to base yourself for trips etc...

We are the Borg. Your biological and technological distinctiveness will be added to our hotel chain. Check out is futile

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:43 am 

Don't forget to try the local delicacy

rotten shark

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:45 am 

Petros wrote:
Don't forget to try the local delicacy

rotten shark

I had minkie whale and puffin while there, the former was a bit like venison. They had run out of marinated clubbed seal pup though.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:46 am 

danny_fitz wrote:
The Sun God wrote:
TB63 wrote:

We are the Borg. Your biological and technological distinctiveness will be added to our hotel chain. Check out is futile

Indeed. Many of the female staff members are very similar to 7 of 9..... :nod:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:48 am 

danny_fitz wrote:
The Sun God wrote:
TB63 wrote:

We are dyslexic of Borg.
Prepare to be delaminated..

Thanks all for advice, will be looking through all options tonight..

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:54 pm 

Seneca of the Night wrote:
The Golden Circle is what tourists do:

One assumes this to be a daisy chain of golden showers. You filthy hound! :x

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:51 pm 

Stayed in a lovely cabin with a hot tub on a fjord near Akureyri - http://www.sporttours.is/en/accommodation-1

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:02 pm 

tabascoboy wrote:

I am guessing The Vikings' latest series is filmed there too.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:11 pm 

The Sun God wrote:
danny_fitz wrote:
The Sun God wrote:
TB63 wrote:

Indeed. Many of the female staff members are very similar to 7 of 9..... :nod:

Gazumpas that would take your eye out?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:33 pm 

I'm going in March, waiting on the bulk of the advice from a mate that's just spent near 2 years touring with an Icelandic band. His instant one is eating here

https://www.thelaundromatcafe.com/en/home

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:48 pm 

TB63 wrote:
danny_fitz wrote:
The Sun God wrote:
TB63 wrote:

We are dyslexic of Borg.
Prepare to be delaminated..

Thanks all for advice, will be looking through all options tonight..

The one thing I would add after a recent trip is that you can save a huge amount of money by going to Jumbo supermarket for sandwiches, fillings, crisps etc or things you can cook together if you have cooking facilities. Not the sort of thing I ever do on holiday but in Iceland it's worth it!

There's a Jumbo (and an extremely well priced petrol station) by the main road in the town at the bottom of the steep road down from the volcanic land to the coast on the south of the island.

Oh and watch out for speed cameras on the golden circle!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:29 pm 

Dress warm, bring a winter jacket.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:56 pm 

planetrugby wrote:
Rule 1.3 : Rule 1 is mandatory from 15 years old.