Chat Forum
It is currently Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:26 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:29 am 

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/netball/1 ... -netballer

What a bizarre comparison. Kieran Read doesn't earn as much as Wayne Rooney either. Fascinating.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:37 am 

True Blue wrote:
https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/netball/100028462/semiprofessional-pay-for-professional-play-thats-the-life-of-a-netballer

What a bizarre comparison. Kieran Read doesn't earn as much as Wayne Rooney either. Fascinating.

I can't believe they make as much as they do. Is netball actually on TV in NZ?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:42 am 

It looks as though the semi-pro netballers playing in their national competition earn more than the semipro rugby players in their national competition. This despite the Mitre 10 Cup undoubtedly being a more popular competition attracting greater viewers, crowds and sponsors.

Damn the matriachy :thumbdown:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:11 am 

That's a shitshow of an article, but those opening lines take the biscuit:

Quote:
It's the No 1 women's sport in NZ, but some elite netballers aren't making enough to live.

Leading Silver Ferns are earning $130,000 a year, about a 10th of the salary of millionaire All Blacks' captain Kieran Read.

It reads as if they are suggesting that 130k isn't enough to live on. If you are struggling to make ends meet on that sum, then never mind smashed avo on toast, you need to be giving up the cavier you are having every day for breakfast.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:26 am 

Jeff the Bear wrote:

Quote:
It's the No 1 women's sport in NZ, but some elite netballers aren't making enough to live.

Leading Silver Ferns are earning $130,000 a year, about a 10th of the salary of millionaire All Blacks' captain Kieran Read.

It reads as if they are suggesting that 130k isn't enough to live on. If you are struggling to make ends meet on that sum, then never mind smashed avo on toast, you need to be giving up the cavier you are having every day for breakfast.

I think you're being a bit dramatic. $130K is nothing in a city like Auckland. Works out to $5K a fortnight, so the person might clear $3000 net, or just $1500 a week. Take out mortgage repayments/rent and car repayments, and they're basically living paycheque to paycheque. Caviar for breakfast, you're taking the piss right?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:31 am 

Sport is expensive as well. There's a reason we have lottery funding for sports over here.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:32 am 

charltom wrote:
True Blue wrote:
https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/netball/100028462/semiprofessional-pay-for-professional-play-thats-the-life-of-a-netballer

3rd paragraph

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:44 am 

Ali's Choice wrote:
Jeff the Bear wrote:

Quote:

I think you're being a bit dramatic. $130K is nothing in a city like Auckland. Works out to $5K a fortnight, so the person might clear $3000 net, or just $1500 a week. Take out mortgage repayments/rent and car repayments, and they're basically living paycheque to paycheque. Caviar for breakfast, you're taking the piss right?

I didn't know all the Silver Ferns resided in Auckland.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:45 am 

I liked one of the comments asking when bus drivers were going to call for pay parity with airline pilots. There are also plenty of comments asking how much male netballers earn which seems to have been missed from the article.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:50 am 

booji boy wrote:

I was just using that as an example. Mortgages in CHCH and Wellington are only marginally cheaper. JTB's "eating caviar for breakfast" comment was way off.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:55 am 

charltom wrote:
True Blue wrote:

TBH, I was also surprised. They actually make more than I thought.

And I think it may be? I don't watch Netball, I have zero interest in it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:57 am 

I'm surprised they earn that much. The salary for WNBA players range from US$60- US$110k. So $130NZ =
US $92k. And the WNBA players play 66 games a season.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:57 am 

Ali's Choice wrote:
Jeff the Bear wrote:

Quote:

? Since when is 130k taxed at 50%? 130k would lose about 40k to tax, so 90k clear a year. That's a very large salary, even in Auckland.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:02 am 

True Blue wrote:
charltom wrote:
True Blue wrote:

Terrible to watch, quite fun to play. Like basketball for lazy plums.

Their crowds are very annoying too. If I wanted to bang some inflatable noisemakers together I’d play with my blowup dolls, knowhatimsayin? :smug:

Oh, you don’t knowwhatimsayin’? It’s just me who does that?

:uhoh:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:05 am 

naki wrote:
True Blue wrote:
charltom wrote:
True Blue wrote:

Their crowds are very annoying too. If I wanted to bang some inflatable noisemakers together I’d play with my blowup dolls, knowhatimsayin? :smug:

But your blowup doll has cock.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:07 am 

CrazyIslander wrote:
naki wrote:
True Blue wrote:
charltom wrote:
True Blue wrote:

I never suggested that it didn’t.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:08 am 

True Blue wrote:
Ali's Choice wrote:
Jeff the Bear wrote:

Quote:

? Since when is 130k taxed at 50%? 130k would lose about 40k to tax, so 90k clear a year. That's a very large salary, even in Auckland.

Yep the top tax rate is 33% and that only applies to income $70k or more so only the top $60k. The first $70k would only be taxed at about 25-28%. Not enough to live on cavier for breakfast but a decent living for playing the sport you love even in Auckland.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:10 am 

CrazyIslander wrote:

CrazyIslander wrote:

CrazyIslander wrote:

CrazyIslander wrote:

CrazyIslander wrote:

CrazyIslander wrote:

CrazyIslander wrote:

CrazyIslander wrote:

CrazyIslander wrote:

CrazyIslander wrote:

CrazyIslander wrote:

CrazyIslander wrote:

CrazyIslander wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:13 am 

Someone's got excited.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:53 am 

Ali's Choice wrote:
I think you're being a bit dramatic. $130K is nothing in a city like Auckland.

:?

Is Auckland more expensive than Melbourne?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:58 am 

True Blue wrote:
Ali's Choice wrote:
Jeff the Bear wrote:

Quote:

Indeed. I'd like to see anyone go to the majority of NZers and plead poverty while pocketing 130k per year. You'd be run out of town. 130k should see you live comfortably in most places in NZ...and simply put, if you can't afford to live in central Auckland, then you shouldn't be trying. You could easily get somewhere nice in commuter distance with that sort of wedge (I know, because I looked at moving to Auckland last year).

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:10 am 

Jeff the Bear wrote:
True Blue wrote:
Ali's Choice wrote:
Jeff the Bear wrote:

Quote:

Indeed. I'd like to see anyone go to the majority of NZers and plead poverty while pocketing 130k per year. You'd be run out of town. 130k should see you live comfortably in most places in NZ...and simply put, if you can't afford to live in central Auckland, then you shouldn't be trying. You could easily get somewhere nice in commuter distance with that sort of wedge (I know, because I looked at moving to Auckland last year).

It would be relatively comfortable for a twentysomething with no dependents with a healthy and regimented lifestyle that didn’t allow for too many indulgences, which of course most of these players would be. It would be a struggle as a sole income stream for a family of course.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:58 am 

This is one of a number of articles on this subject recently. I think we can all agree it would be great for female athletes to be paid good money, as much as the men. But that will only ever happen if there is the same demand to watch the sports they play. I actually dont know anyone...not a single person who regularly watches netball. Hell more people I know are watching less sport overall so how netball is going to grow enough to attract more sponsors and pay their athletes more is beyond me.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:37 am 

Davedj77 wrote:
This is one of a number of articles on this subject recently. I think we can all agree it would be great for female athletes to be paid good money, as much as the men. But that will only ever happen if there is the same demand to watch the sports they play. I actually dont know anyone...not a single person who regularly watches netball. Hell more people I know are watching less sport overall so how netball is going to grow enough to attract more sponsors and pay their athletes more is beyond me.

I think that's a valid point. I'm all for women's professional sport. But there are some realities of these ventures that need to be examined through a level of realistic expectation. In a perfect world parity would be the most ideal situation. I actually believe given their relative levels of performance that in regards to Australia, ours Women's 7s squad should be earning at least as much as our Men's squad.

However, at present only Men's sport attracts any realistic level of interest and thus money to sustain professional sport. Until Women's sport can do likewise it really isn't possible to expect parity to be achievable. So the article is just silly.

With the push toward Women's professional sports here, only the WBBL has a somewhat realistic chance of narrowing the pay gap between it and the BBL in regards to standard contract sizes.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:42 am 

Working Class Rugger wrote:
Davedj77 wrote:

I think that's a valid point. I'm all for women's professional sport. But there are some realities of these ventures that need to be examined through a level of realistic expectation. In a perfect world parity would be the most ideal situation. I actually believe given their relative levels of performance that in regards to Australia, ours Women's 7s squad should be earning at least as much as our Men's squad.

However, at present only Men's sport attracts any realistic level of interest and thus money to sustain professional sport. Until Women's sport can do likewise it really isn't possible to expect parity to be achievable. So the article is just silly.

With the push toward Women's professional sports here, only the WBBL has a somewhat realistic chance of narrowing the pay gap between it and the BBL in regards to standard contract sizes.

Have you guys seen the sort of crowds they draw to Netball games? That TransTasman comp used to fill venues midweek. They're not stadia, of course... but I think there's a case to be made for the pulling power of women's sport among women. A bunch of blokes commenting based on their own viewing habits are probably not going to have a handle on that.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:44 am 

Article seems to portray this situation as sexist as if many male test level players didn't have the exact same conundrum in deciding whether to play rugby during amateurism or quitting the sport to concentrate on their career.

In fact, I'm sure the semi pro rugby players of today are in the exact same predicament as the netball players.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:07 am 

guy smiley wrote:
Davedj77 wrote:

Have you guys seen the sort of crowds they draw to Netball games? That TransTasman comp used to fill venues midweek. They're not stadia, of course... but I think there's a case to be made for the pulling power of women's sport among women. A bunch of blokes commenting based on their own viewing habits are probably not going to have a handle on that.

If the crowds were so good why is that comp dead?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:09 am 

The Aussies decided they didn't want the Kiwi teams in it, they still have their domestic comp.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:14 am 

guy smiley wrote:
Davedj77 wrote:

It's more of a question of it ability to draw TV viewers than crowds at the venue. Back in the days before the TT competition the Aus. National Competition filled venues as well but struggled to draw in TV viewers in the numbers needed to make professionalism viable. The current set up managed to very astutely harness the growing enthusiasm for women's sport in this country to make it happen with Super Netball and the figures have been better than the TT series but not astronomically so.

I actually watch a fair bit of women's sport. The WBBL is the big one at present. Also tuned into the W-League when I have the chance. Watched every game of the inaugural AON 7s series as well. Even some of the AFLW (not a big AFL fan). Funnily enough the only one I haven't bothered with is Super Netball because much like Basketball, I just cannot get into it as a sport.

It would be amazing to see a level of parity being achievable but it's not possible at present. I'm not saying it will be never be possible. I think the push to engage more girls and women will in time drive the market for women's sport further and bring things closer and closer but at present in what really is only the beginning of women's professional sports in regards to leagues in our region to expect parity from day one is a bit unrealistic.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:16 am 

naki wrote:

It would be relatively comfortable for a twentysomething with no dependents with a healthy and regimented lifestyle that didn’t allow for too many indulgences, which of course most of these players would be. It would be a struggle as a sole income stream for a family of course.

Naki, I know you retired at 35 and have become a sex toy but a family of 4 can live off 130k a year even in Auckland. Obviously they won't be buying an investment house and eating out every second night. Still that's a comfortable existence.

Plus has it being established she even lives in Auckland?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:22 am 

guy smiley wrote:
Davedj77 wrote:

A few thousand people going along to a game does not make for a financially viable model.

It's the 10's and 100's of thousands (not) watching on TV or streaming that provides the revenue

For rugby players to get what they get they all hang off the millions, globally, who watch the AB's.

It is extremely unlikely that netball will ever get that kind of revenue

anywhere

ever

and it sure as hell aint getting it now

They get paid less cos there is less cos less people follow the sport

simples

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:38 am 

True Blue wrote:
naki wrote:

Naki, I know you retired at 35 and have become a sex toy but a family of 4 can live off 130k a year even in Auckland. Obviously they won't be buying an investment house and eating out every second night. Still that's a comfortable existence.

Sure, if they didn’t save anything or invest any of it at all. I was earning around that in AKL in my early twenties with no dependents and I wouldn’t have described it as “comfortable” - and this was 15 or so years ago before the GFC and relatively low rent etc

Not trying to sound misogynistic or anything, but maybe these ladies should think about selling their willowy bodies to a company like Jockey like those poor rugby players have to.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:54 am 

Location: End of the road, turn right and first house on the left
Anyway

Code:
Tax calculation for individual - 1 April 2017 to 31 March 2018
Tax Calculation Results:            
Income Tax Rate   Income   Tax   
Income up to $14000, taxed at 10.5%   $14,000.00   $1,470.00   
Income over $14000 and up to $48000, taxed at 17.5%   $34,000.00   $5,950.00   
Income over $48000 and up to $70000, taxed at 30%   $22,000.00   $6,600.00   
Remaining income over $70000, taxed at 33%   $60,000.00   $19,800.00   
Total   $130,000.00   $33,820.00   

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:01 am 

naki wrote:
Jeff the Bear wrote:
True Blue wrote:
Ali's Choice wrote:
Jeff the Bear wrote:

Just checked and it’s about 3 times the average wage. But it is still only enough to be just comfortable, and without family?

In which case, how do most families get by in NZ at all? Is most of the population in poverty?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:11 am 

Just checked this

https://i.stuff.co.nz/business/money/80 ... e-compares

$130k as a single puts you at 95% ie top 5 percentile. Even as a combined income for family it’s still top third in country.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:23 am 

naki wrote:
True Blue wrote:
naki wrote:

Sure, if they didn’t save anything or invest any of it at all. I was earning around that in AKL in my early twenties with no dependents and I wouldn’t have described it as “comfortable” - and this was 15 or so years ago before the GFC and relatively low rent etc

Not trying to sound misogynistic or anything, but maybe these ladies should think about selling their willowy bodies to a company like Jockey like those poor rugby players have to.

You were earning 130k in 2003 as a bachelor and you don't think that is comfortable?! You could have easily paid off a mid range house in half a decade with that type of income back then in Auckland. Probably in a couple of years elsewhere.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:24 am 

Must be nice to be on 130,000 a year and and still not think that's enough.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:31 am 

True Blue wrote:

I'm amused by the poll:

Should netballer get paid parity?

Yes they are professionals
No they earn enough.

No nuance like "They deserve more, but it's a shame the sport can't pay them more yet"

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:35 am 

Ali's Choice wrote:
booji boy wrote:

I was just using that as an example. Mortgages in CHCH and Wellington are only marginally cheaper. JTB's "eating caviar for breakfast" comment was way off.

Not many users will be earning $130k though Ali are they? Top 2% maybe.

If that is livingaycheque to paycheque then NZ really is paradise lost

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:35 am 

CrazyIslander wrote:
I'm surprised they earn that much. The salary for WNBA players range from US$60- US$110k. So $130NZ =
US $92k. And the WNBA players play 66 games a season.

That numbers seems to be only for the top players playing for the country, which isn't a big bunch, I imagine most of the league isn't on that.