Chat Forum
It is currently Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:08 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:00 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 6768
5yr contract at $6m.

That's a lot of grassroots...

KG

-------

Quote:
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/rugby-union/hooper-re-signs-in-australia-on-multi-year-deal-report-20180809-p4zwlr.html

Wallabies captain Michael Hooper is expected to announce his decision to stay in Australia on a five-year deal.

Hooper has committed himself to the Wallabies and Waratahs for five years on a deal worth close to $6 million, News Corp reported.

It is only the second five-year contract in Australian rugby history. Former Waratahs winger Lote Tuqiri signed on for five years in 2007 but had his contract torn up two years later after a code of conduct breach in Canberra.

Hooper, an 82-Test veteran at the age of just 26, could command significant sums of money in Europe and Japan. But the No.7's value to the game on and off the field has always made his retention one of Rugby Australia's top priorities. He has never been linked to an overseas move.

He is currently making his way back from a hamstring injury that ruled him out of the back end of the Super Rugby season. It is understood he is on track to make his return in the opening Rugby Championship Test against New Zealand at ANZ Stadium next Saturday.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:11 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 14466
Location: XPAT CUNT
He's a top 3 in the world #7. He's got an incredible history of not getting injured. He's developing into a good captain. His game improves all the time.

Is 1.2m/year good value? Not sure. He's already eligible under the Giteau rule so we don't need him playing in Australia for him to be wallaby eligible.

I'd prefer to put that money into schools rugby (particularly state schools) and throw some development contracts at top young talent. That's probably better value than paying top dollar for a position of strength. Could you sign McMahon and Gill for 1.2m a year combined?

That said, if your idea of grassroots is giving the shute shield clubs an additional 200kish each, then I'd rather pay Hoops.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:12 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 4444
kiwigreg369 wrote:
5yr contract at $6m.

That's a lot of grassroots...

KG

-------

Quote:
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/rugby-union/hooper-re-signs-in-australia-on-multi-year-deal-report-20180809-p4zwlr.html

Wallabies captain Michael Hooper is expected to announce his decision to stay in Australia on a five-year deal.

Hooper has committed himself to the Wallabies and Waratahs for five years on a deal worth close to $6 million, News Corp reported.

It is only the second five-year contract in Australian rugby history. Former Waratahs winger Lote Tuqiri signed on for five years in 2007 but had his contract torn up two years later after a code of conduct breach in Canberra.

Hooper, an 82-Test veteran at the age of just 26, could command significant sums of money in Europe and Japan. But the No.7's value to the game on and off the field has always made his retention one of Rugby Australia's top priorities. He has never been linked to an overseas move.

He is currently making his way back from a hamstring injury that ruled him out of the back end of the Super Rugby season. It is understood he is on track to make his return in the opening Rugby Championship Test against New Zealand at ANZ Stadium next Saturday.


About €770k per annum. He wouldn't command that in Europe.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:13 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 39084
Location: in transit
How much is Pocock on?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:18 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 14466
Location: XPAT CUNT
guy smiley wrote:
How much is Pocock on?


Essentially 1m/year (3m over 4 years with a 12month sabbatical in the middle).


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:23 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 33256
82 tests at 26? Someone might have to put the slipper in to protect the Goat's record.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:24 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 9537
Both fantastic but overpaid IMHO. Wasted grasroots opportunity.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:46 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 39084
Location: in transit
Zakar wrote:
guy smiley wrote:
How much is Pocock on?


Essentially 1m/year (3m over 4 years with a 12month sabbatical in the middle).



It's a hard one. RA cries poor, it runs a pretty top heavy organisation and a top heavy 'game organisation' structure. We know this from various conversations in here over the last year. Popular thinking almost demands heavy investment at bottom levels and an accompanying long fight back to healthy growth and sustainability within what we are constantly told is a difficult market. The flip side is needing to keep the national team competitive.

On top of that, the current SANZAAAAAAAAAAAAAARgh deal expires around 2020. It's ballsy committing that much to one player on a long term deal past that contract term.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:54 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 21293
Hooper is phenomenon

He’s easily the best player in Australia. Naturally, I’m upset that some people think he wouldn’t make it in the Magners League or the KFC (Christchurch) league - but he’s a freak and I challenge anyone to nominate another player they think should be dropped


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:56 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 21293
LandOTurk wrote:
Both fantastic but overpaid IMHO. Wasted grasroots opportunity.


Yes. Neither of them are Warburton quality ...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:22 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 9537
Seneca of the Night wrote:
82 tests at 26? Someone might have to put the slipper in to protect the Goat's record.


George North territory too. Turned 26 in April and has 76 Welsh caps + 3 Lions I believe. Probably lost 10 just through ongoing concussion issues.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:32 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 14466
Location: XPAT CUNT
guy smiley wrote:
Zakar wrote:
guy smiley wrote:
How much is Pocock on?


Essentially 1m/year (3m over 4 years with a 12month sabbatical in the middle).



It's a hard one. RA cries poor, it runs a pretty top heavy organisation and a top heavy 'game organisation' structure. We know this from various conversations in here over the last year. Popular thinking almost demands heavy investment at bottom levels and an accompanying long fight back to healthy growth and sustainability within what we are constantly told is a difficult market. The flip side is needing to keep the national team competitive.

On top of that, the current SANZAAAAAAAAAAAAAARgh deal expires around 2020. It's ballsy committing that much to one player on a long term deal past that contract term.


If it were me, I'd sign McMahon for half that, put the rest into schools and junior club rugby, and play Hooper from Japan or France or wherever he would end up. Poey would be a more than ample captain.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:50 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:46 am
Posts: 688
Is it just me or does Hooper look special needs


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:06 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 9537
shanky wrote:
LandOTurk wrote:
Both fantastic but overpaid IMHO. Wasted grasroots opportunity.


Yes. Neither of them are Warburton quality ...


Not sure of the relevance, but if I have upset you I am sorry. There, there, there ....


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:10 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 27998
Seneca of the Night wrote:
82 tests at 26? Someone might have to put the slipper in to protect the Goat's record.


George North is 6 months younger and is on 79. It's fair to say that with the ever expanding international fixture list, McCaw's record will be easily beaten in the next 10 years or so.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:21 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 4023
Jeff the Bear wrote:
Seneca of the Night wrote:
82 tests at 26? Someone might have to put the slipper in to protect the Goat's record.


George North is 6 months younger and is on 79. It's fair to say that with the ever expanding international fixture list, McCaw's record will be easily beaten in the next 10 years or so.


Probably but runs on the board in this ever increasing injury ward that is international rugby its hard to say.

McCaws real record is number of wins as a player and captain. They will never be beaten


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:36 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 21293
LandOTurk wrote:
shanky wrote:
LandOTurk wrote:
Both fantastic but overpaid IMHO. Wasted grasroots opportunity.


Yes. Neither of them are Warburton quality ...


Not sure of the relevance, but if I have upset you I am sorry. There, there, there ....


Rest easy. You haven’t upset me. :thumbup:

How much was the NH’s premier openside paid?

(Was the relevant comparison).

You can also add SOB as another comparator if you like.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:36 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 27998
booze wrote:
Jeff the Bear wrote:
Seneca of the Night wrote:
82 tests at 26? Someone might have to put the slipper in to protect the Goat's record.


George North is 6 months younger and is on 79. It's fair to say that with the ever expanding international fixture list, McCaw's record will be easily beaten in the next 10 years or so.


Probably but runs on the board in this ever increasing injury ward that is international rugby its hard to say.

McCaws real record is number of wins as a player and captain. They will never be beaten


Fair points. Just having a look though, I reckon there's a good chance the record will go in the next couple of years with Sergio Parisse. He's only 14 behind, and he'll likely play (or be on the bench) for a good chunk of games for Italy between now and the World Cup (3 AI's, 5 6N, 2/3 world cup warm ups and 3 group games). If he decides to go as far as the 2019 AI's, he could well beat the record.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:38 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:20 pm
Posts: 5072
Location: Lutra
He looks good value for it at the moment but why give him a 5 yr contract? Why not 2 or 3?
If we have some kid who comes along whose better then we will be obliged to play Hoops.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:42 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 21293
Olo wrote:
He looks good value for it at the moment but why give him a 5 yr contract? Why not 2 or 3?
If we have some kid who comes along whose better then we will be obliged to play Hoops.


Because we have peanuts running the game.

Raelene Castle is the one who gave Des Hasler a record contract at the Bulldogs but then he was sacked 5 minutes later. To be fair, at least it’s a different kind of problem to Pulver, who (IMHO) wanted to play out his GPS/Shore fantasy rivalries on the national stage.

None of which undermines Hooper being the best Australian footballer of his generation.


Last edited by shanky on Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:45 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 9537
Jeff the Bear wrote:
booze wrote:
Jeff the Bear wrote:
Seneca of the Night wrote:
82 tests at 26? Someone might have to put the slipper in to protect the Goat's record.


George North is 6 months younger and is on 79. It's fair to say that with the ever expanding international fixture list, McCaw's record will be easily beaten in the next 10 years or so.


Probably but runs on the board in this ever increasing injury ward that is international rugby its hard to say.

McCaws real record is number of wins as a player and captain. They will never be beaten


Fair points. Just having a look though, I reckon there's a good chance the record will go in the next couple of years with Sergio Parisse. He's only 14 behind, and he'll likely play (or be on the bench) for a good chunk of games for Italy between now and the World Cup (3 AI's, 5 6N, 2/3 world cup warm ups and 3 group games). If he decides to go as far as the 2019 AI's, he could well beat the record.


He was going to retire at the end of the 2016/7 season but O'Shea convinced him to stay on until the RWC. He will be done by RWC 2019. Just trying to remember, but do we even play the AIs after a September/October RWC???? I am nearly certain they all were quite rightly skipped in 2015.


Last edited by LandOTurk on Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:46 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 27998
shanky wrote:
LandOTurk wrote:
shanky wrote:
LandOTurk wrote:
Both fantastic but overpaid IMHO. Wasted grasroots opportunity.


Yes. Neither of them are Warburton quality ...


Not sure of the relevance, but if I have upset you I am sorry. There, there, there ....


Rest easy. You haven’t upset me. :thumbup:

How much was the NH’s premier openside paid?

(Was the relevant comparison).

You can also add SOB as another comparator if you like.


That's a tough one. I was discussing with my brother the other day that one of the most remarkable things about Warburton retiring was that he must be so financially sound that he doesn't feel the need to carry on from that point of view. I bet there are a whole slew of players in their late 20's, who are beat up to fudge, who'd like to retire, but can't because they need to make the money before age really catches up with them and no one will pay then.

As such, the direct answer is I don't know, but bottom rate contract for Warburton's last contract was 270,000 pounds, which is/was approx half a million Oz dollars...he would have however, as the Captain of Wales and the Lions, made a tonne on the side (advertising, appearances etc.).


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:52 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 9537
Jeff the Bear wrote:
shanky wrote:
LandOTurk wrote:
shanky wrote:
LandOTurk wrote:
Both fantastic but overpaid IMHO. Wasted grasroots opportunity.


Yes. Neither of them are Warburton quality ...


Not sure of the relevance, but if I have upset you I am sorry. There, there, there ....


Rest easy. You haven’t upset me. :thumbup:

How much was the NH’s premier openside paid?

(Was the relevant comparison).

You can also add SOB as another comparator if you like.


That's a tough one. I was discussing with my brother the other day that one of the most remarkable things about Warburton retiring was that he must be so financially sound that he doesn't feel the need to carry on from that point of view. I bet there are a whole slew of players in their late 20's, who are beat up to fudge, who'd like to retire, but can't because they need to make the money before age really catches up with them and no one will pay then.

As such, the direct answer is I don't know, but bottom rate contract for Warburton's last contract was 270,000 pounds, which is/was approx half a million Oz dollars...he would have however, as the Captain of Wales and the Lions, made a tonne on the side (advertising, appearances etc.).


Yes, the past 5-6 years, Warbs would be banking over £400k/AUD$700k annually I reckon.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:55 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 21293
Cool. Thanks.

You’d have to think he’s be on something like that after endorsements.

Which is my point (jokes aside). Hooper could probably go to France and get a great deal. More thanwe could pay him

And that would be our loss. He gets smashed here because people have their preferred player for openside, but that doesn’t detract from him in a broad sense


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:05 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 20023
Location: STRAYA!
Looks like my son's club fees are going up next year.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:07 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 18797
That's top five in the world wedge, maybe? Probably ott tbf.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:31 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 389
Location: Brisvegas
Way over the top. He's not the best 7 in the country, and IMO not a great captain.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:33 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:34 am
Posts: 14425
Worth it. Sad truth the talent coming through is shit. After RWC19 there might be an exodus of talent especially late 20s to 30s yrs old players. This leaves Hooper as probably the most experienced player to take them to RWC23. He has age on his side too.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:47 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:18 pm
Posts: 252
As said earlier, he wouldn't get it in Europe. Would be excellent in the Pro14 and Heineken Cup, but the style in the EP and T14 wouldn't suit him.

So

1 fair play to him for getting the xontract
2 it's overpaying as the market rate is France and Ingerlund


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:57 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 2165
If you want to build a brand or a team around a foundation then you have to pay to secure it. Time will tell but if that's the idea then it seems a reasonable move and a worthwhile investment.

A million bucks a year to secure that is probably around about right for what the ARU is. Some might even consider it light. As just a player, yeah Hooper has done pretty well in it, but overall for the ARU and their long term goal it's probably sound and solid.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:01 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 22539
Location: STRAYA PLUM
There is some big money being thrown at the top players here.
Hooper, Genia, Pocock and Beale all or or near $1m a year.
If you halve that then the Force could still be here.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:28 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 479
All player wages come out of the 29% share of revenue in the collective Bargaining Agreement that Rugby Australia and RUPA have negotiated.

So the money is going to a pro player of some kind.
In addition, I'd image a large chuck of his wages would be separate sponsorship deals that RA and NSWRU have orgainsed, similar to Folau's deal


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:30 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 16751
Gavin Duffy wrote:
That's top five in the world wedge, maybe? Probably ott tbf.



Do any of the other types play for Aus though? They figure he's one of their best and they want him to stick around - not just for the Wallabies (as he'd be eligible for the Giteau rule) but for the Tahs and to generally be one of the faces of Aus rugby.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:32 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 16751
Farva wrote:
There is some big money being thrown at the top players here.
Hooper, Genia, Pocock and Beale all or or near $1m a year.
If you halve that then the Force could still be here.


And those 4 players wouldn't. Is it better to have a competitive Wallabies side or have rugby more healthy in WA?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:20 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 14602
Location: Tahstown
No way any player should be signed for 5 years


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:20 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 06, 2016 5:04 am
Posts: 5484
nek minnit Folau:" Pay me the same or i'm going to League right now!!"


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:20 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 14602
Location: Tahstown
Farva wrote:
There is some big money being thrown at the top players here.
Hooper, Genia, Pocock and Beale all or or near $1m a year.
If you halve that then the Force could still be here.

Imagine if Twiggy got involved


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:43 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:45 am
Posts: 1784
Farks sake.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:45 am 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 39084
Location: in transit
In completely unrelated news...

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-08-10/n ... s/10105102

Quote:
Global media giant News Corporation has suffered another nasty full year loss of $US1.4 billion ($1.9 billion) as it continues to write down the value of its Australian pay-TV subsidiary, Foxtel.

The big full year loss follows last year's $US643 million ($870 million) loss where the value of a range of newspapers and TV platforms were slashed.

Foxtel and Fox Sports saw their value cut by $US998 million ($1,354 million) as part of their consolidation into a single company, with News owning 65 per cent of the business and Telstra controlling the other 35 per cent.

The transaction also incurred further costs to the bottom line of almost $800 million, which included tax.

The previous year's result was also affected by a $1.4 billion write-down at Foxtel.

"News Corp is now a more substantial company after the Foxtel transaction, with a much higher percentage of recurring, subscription-based revenues, which should help offset a volatile advertising environment," News chief executive Robert Thomson said.

The better news was an overall rise in full year revenues across the company, up 11 per cent to $US9.02 billion ($12.2 billion).


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:48 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 21189
This type of spending on player salaries got the ARU in trouble in the first place. They made a $3 million plus loss last year.

The big problem now is that youth development needs to be addressed. It has been several years since the under 20s JWC semis, a lot of the top schoolboy talent has gone to league and Aussie Rules is digging into Rugby's nurseries. I see that League is now being offered in AIC schools in Brisbane.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: bimboman, bonzo, camroc1, CrazyIslander, Gazzamonster, Google Adsense [Bot], Gospel, guy smiley, I like haggis, Jumper, kingswood, LandOTurk, Leinsterman, Lenny, Lobby, Monk Zombie, Nolanator, Risteard, SamShark, Santa, S Club, Short Man Syndrome, sturginho, ZappaMan, zt1903 and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group