Chat Forum
It is currently Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:59 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Flu/Cold confusion
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:07 pm 

I've just realised I almost contributed to this. I have a really bad cold at the moment but when cancelling commitments I find I have a real urge to say I have the flu because I don't want morons to think I just have the sniffles. Luckily everyone is sick so I can just say 'That Christmas thing that's going around'

Post subject: Re: Flu/Cold confusion
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:11 pm 

Just say you have a bad cold

People who say they have flu when they have a cold look stupid to those who know better so just say what you have and don't exaggerate

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:15 pm 

We've had the flu for quite a while. The Management probably brought it back from the grand-daughter, who frequents play-schools etc.

I picked it up and it has now been about 5/6 weeks until it has been beaten by the bodily reserves.

Fluids and parrots eat 'em all are your friends. Plus lemon and honey with a bit of whisky thrown in.

Avoid "cough and cold" remedies from your local chemist. They really do not work.

The local doctors here, with whom I had a rather good bean feast recently, will not prescribe antibiotics.

However, the surgery in Corby will hand them out like sweets!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:17 pm 

globus wrote:
We've had the flu for quite a while. The Management probably brought it back from the grand-daughter, who frequents play-schools etc.

I picked it up and it has now been about 5/6 weeks until it has been beaten by the bodily reserves.

Fluids and parrots eat 'em all are your friends. Plus lemon and honey with a bit of whisky thrown in.

Avoid "cough and cold" remedies from your local chemist. They really do not work.

The local doctors here, with whom I had a rather good bean feast recently, will not prescribe antibiotics.

Flu is a virus so why the fudge would you ask a doctor for an antibiotic? In fact why would you even go to the doctor as there is nothing they can do

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:22 pm 

Don't think I've ever had the flu, had various degrees of colds though. Would definitely say bad cold, and tell them you feel pretty awful with it.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:26 pm 

globus wrote:

a man of your age getting the flu for 5/6 weeks would likely be dead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:27 pm 

HighKingLeinster wrote:
globus wrote:

Flu is a virus so why the fudge would you ask a doctor for an antibiotic? In fact why would you even go to the doctor as there is nothing they can do

Quite. It's apparently mainly because some develop things like bronchitis or even worse, pneumonia.

Sadly one of our elderlies who we see occasionally has just died. He was on the way out anyway but the flu seems to have given him a quick trip to meet his maker.

One of his endearing traits was to praise everyone who ministered to him, even if he was not being terribly truthful!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:29 pm 

le chat wrote:
globus wrote:

I'm made of sterner stuff. T'was just a flesh wound as the Black Knight might say.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:32 pm 

globus wrote:
le chat wrote:
globus wrote:

I'm made of sterner stuff. T'was just a flesh wound as the Black Knight might say.

or more likely you don't have flu which is what the thread is about ffs

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:39 pm 

As my mum would say:

'Flu is when a £50 note lands on the window sill and you haven't the strength to go get it'*

*doesn't apply to our Scottish posters.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:00 pm 

If you have had flu then you will know the difference!

There is actually a rather nasty flu bug that has come from Australia. Apparently it hits respiratory system quite hard and particularly those most compromised i.e. COPD, asthmatics, etc. Having been relatively flu free for a number of years it looks like this will be quite nasty for UK and potentially bring underfunded NHS to its knees. Expect A&E waiting times to go though the roof, electives to be cancelled and ambulances to struggle.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:18 pm 

If you've been to the doctor with 'flu' you haven't got it. If you've got flu or the even more dangerous manflu then you're not even picking up the phone to the docs, you're lying in bed wishing you would die. Had proper flu once and its properly shit.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:08 pm 

I've rarely ever had cold, and had never had flu. But then got that swine flu that was going about about 7 years ago. Jesus, thought I was dying. For seven days I only left my bed to use the toilet or have some water. Lost about 10 lbs. Felt like death. Lemsip & wank wouldn't work as just couldn't get my brain around anything other than pulling a pillow over my head.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:17 pm 

MrJonno wrote:
I've just realised I almost contributed to this. I have a really bad cold at the moment but when cancelling commitments I find I have a real urge to say I have the flu because I don't want morons to think I just have the sniffles. Luckily everyone is sick so I can just say 'That Christmas thing that's going around'

Just say you have a bug. People will assume you have a vomiting bug and won't want to be anywhere near you.
There's a heavy cold going around at the moment. One of the kids had it on Christmas Day, herself came down with it late that day as well and I picked it up this morning.
Doesn't seem to last more than 3 days though.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:31 pm 

I'm very rarely ill, think the last time I took a day off work was about 12 years ago with pneumonia but the minute the school term ended I came down with a cold that has flattened me.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:34 am 

Raggs wrote:
Don't think I've ever had the flu, had various degrees of colds though. Would definitely say bad cold, and tell them you feel pretty awful with it.

I used to get sick a lot with what I thought was the flu but in all honesty I have rarely if ever experienced the flu symptoms described of aching joints etc. I'm thinking I've only ever had bad colds.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:44 am 

Sefton wrote:
I'm very rarely ill, think the last time I took a day off work was about 12 years ago with pneumonia but the minute the school term ended I came down with a cold that has flattened me.

Its quite common for some people to get sick as soon as their holidays start. I think it is because you don't let yourself be sick when you are busy (to an extent of course, there are some things, well quite a lot, that you can't just power through with positive thinking), as in you are focussed and for some reason your immune system just works, but as soon as you take a break, exhaustion hits and everything that you have been exposed to hits home. Probably bollix of course, but it certainly feels like that sometimes

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:45 am 

I had managed to get through to my mid 50s without ever getting anything more serious than a heavy cold or very rare chest infection until 18 months ago when I got a full blown flu. Believe me, when you experience it you’ll never confuse it with a lesser ailment. It started with a slight cough at about 11.30 in the office, and I was heading home to my death bed at 12.15, and stayed there for 12 days. I returned to work after those 12 days and lasted about 2 hours before going home again for another 3 days. I now get a flu shot because I hope never to go through it again.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:10 am 

We had flu jabs again this year. The viruses mutate though and you might not be protected from the latest.

I've come through relatively unscathed but The Management has had quite a rough time.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:19 am 

Location: End of the road, turn right and first house on the left
Had the flu twice in my life - once aged 16 and it hit like a freight train and lasted about a week. I cannot remember too much thankfully but I know my mum refused to let my girlfriend come to visit.

then about 7/8 years I got Swine flu (about 5 of us at work got it after a sick client came in). That was death wrapped in barbed wire (one of my colleagues lost her baby due to a miscarriage and just couldn't even care about it even though she was in intensive care for ages).

Manflu is bad but bejesus, I wouldn't wish flu on my worst enemies. I get flu-shots as a matter of course. I camp out overnight the day they arrive to be first in-line for my shot.

Biggest laugh as a boss - "I have the flu but I will be in tomorrow"

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:02 pm 

globus wrote:
We had flu jabs again this year. The viruses mutate though and you might not be protected from the latest.

I've come through relatively unscathed but The Management has had quite a rough time.

When I volunteered and then worked at a homeless shelter I used to get a flu jab in the winter. People used to mistakenly think it was because working in a shelter like that you are more exposed to it, so it was to protect me. The main reason though was actually to protect the 'clients'. The staff were encouraged to get jabs to stop them picking it up and passing it on to a very vulnerable group of people.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:20 pm 

Unless knowing exactly what has made you ill makes a difference to your treatment, and cold versus flu doesn't, it doesn't matter, it all comes down to how you feel. No one will believe you anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:22 pm 

Gwenno wrote:
Unless knowing exactly what has made you ill makes a difference to your treatment, and cold versus flu doesn't, it doesn't matter, it all comes down to how you feel. No one will believe you anyway.

Good point, I'll just tell people I have Christmas AIDs but expect it to clear up by the New Year

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:25 pm 

I usually delay being ill until holidays, it's a thing and a pain in the arse. And yeah easiest thing to say is 'sickness bug', nobody comes within a mile of you.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:26 pm 

Having had real, actual flu, I make a point of not getting them mixed up. Colds, even bad ones, are very irritating but are nothing like as debilitating.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:59 pm 

I think I have a touch of the flu now. Very sniffly and was barely able to finish my post-work G&T's yesterday.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:47 pm 

MrJonno wrote:
globus wrote:

When I volunteered and then worked at a homeless shelter I used to get a flu jab in the winter. People used to mistakenly think it was because working in a shelter like that you are more exposed to it, so it was to protect me. The main reason though was actually to protect the 'clients'. The staff were encouraged to get jabs to stop them picking it up and passing it on to a very vulnerable group of people.

In the same vain this is why people should vaccinate against all viruses possible, to help those that aren't able to do so.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:36 pm 

spookly wrote:
I've rarely ever had cold, and had never had flu. But then got that swine flu that was going about about 7 years ago. Jesus, thought I was dying. For seven days I only left my bed to use the toilet or have some water. Lost about 10 lbs. Felt like death. Lemsip & wank wouldn't work as just couldn't get my brain around anything other than pulling a pillow over my head.

I got it too, properly f**ked me up!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:17 pm 

ZappaMan wrote:
I think I have a touch of the flu now. Very sniffly and was barely able to finish my post-work G&T's yesterday.

G&T only works for malaria, I seem to have a chronic case

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:27 pm 

I’ve heard of a GP who walked into his waiting room during a flu outbreak, with every chair occupied, and said ‘would everyone here with the flu please stand up?’

About 3/4 of the room stand up.

‘If you can stand up, you don’t have flu. Go home.’

Probably apocryphal, but never mind.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:41 pm 

Doc Rob wrote:
I’ve heard of a GP who walked into his waiting room during a flu outbreak, with every chair occupied, and said ‘would everyone here with the flu please stand up?’

About 3/4 of the room stand up.

‘If you can stand up, you don’t have flu. Go home.’

Probably apocryphal, but never mind.

:thumbup:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:56 pm 

There's an outbreak of Aussie Flu in Hull. Somehow I have avoided it

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:57 pm 

le chat wrote:
globus wrote:
le chat wrote:
globus wrote:

or more likely you don't have flu which is what the thread is about ffs

I'm sure he knows very well what it is. I'm curious why you think he hadn't got it.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:04 pm 

DragonKhan wrote:
There's an outbreak of Aussie Flu in Hull. Somehow I have avoided it

I want to make a gag about that but a few mates have been flattened by it over Xmas- genuinely ill.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:15 pm 

Apparently what's going around is a combo of influenza A and B. Vaccine gives you protection from A but not so much for B.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:21 pm 

Uncle Fester wrote:
Apparently what's going around is a combo of influenza A and B. Vaccine gives you protection from A but not so much for B.

Im that case i managed to survive flu A at Christmas but got badly caught by B. Have the vaccine too. What a bitch.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:26 pm 

DragsterDriver wrote:
As my mum would say:

'Flu is when a £50 note lands on the window sill and you haven't the strength to go get it'*

*doesn't apply to our Scottish posters.

That's good. I'd apply that same logic to food poisoning.

Last edited by Murdoch on Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:28 pm 

I had the flu for about 3 days around Christmas. My gawd it was tough going.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:29 pm 

globus wrote:
HighKingLeinster wrote:
globus wrote:

Quite. It's apparently mainly because some develop things like bronchitis or even worse, pneumonia.

Sadly one of our elderlies who we see occasionally has just died. He was on the way out anyway but the flu seems to have given him a quick trip to meet his maker.

One of his endearing traits was to praise everyone who ministered to him, even if he was not being terribly truthful!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rY0WxgSXdEE

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:40 pm 

Had my first ever dose of flu this time last year. Managed to somehow drive to the doctor and get seen where she insisted I not drive home as my temperature was sky high. I (naturally) disregarded this until I fainted in the waiting room. Spent the next week in bed shivering uncontrollably at the same time sweating like a lunatic. I had to literally crawl the 7ft across the bedroom floor to the toilet.

Went to the gym a few days after 'I got better' - I was exhausted after about 3 mins.