Chat Forum
It is currently Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:01 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 669 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:48 pm 

Bid on a place we'd love to get yesterday, problem is our bid is at the max the bank have said they'll give us. Spoke to the mortgage manager about it, suggested while of course never recommending such an action that we could bid above our max, let them know the second a bid was accepted, and they'd send it back to the underwriter for approval. It's a house we'd love to get. Downside is we're sticking our neck out a bit and I guess you don't want the EA thinking we're messers if it fell through and there was another property they were selling that we were interested in.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:52 pm 

I'm still waiting for seller to sign his end of the contract and give the copy back to my solicitor. I'm tied into the deal but seller can still pull out at this point .

Frustrating

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:57 pm 

danthefan wrote:
Bid on a place we'd love to get yesterday, problem is our bid is at the max the bank have said they'll give us. Spoke to the mortgage manager about it, suggested while of course never recommending such an action that we could bid above our max, let them know the second a bid was accepted, and they'd send it back to the underwriter for approval. It's a house we'd love to get. Downside is we're sticking our neck out a bit and I guess you don't want the EA thinking we're messers if it fell through and there was another property they were selling that we were interested in.

My sister did something similar recently and she got an exemption from the bank to borrow more than the 3.5 times your income limit. It seems you're more likely to get an exemption around now rather than later in the year which is a bit nuts.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/personal-finance/first-time-buyers-it-s-cheaper-to-buy-than-rent-but-do-the-sums-1.3062082

Quote:
There are exceptions to these rules: 20 per cent of mortgages by a lender can exceed the aforementioned income multiples, while 5 per cent of applicants will succeed in buying with a deposit worth less than 10 per cent of the purchase price.

Whether or not you succeed in getting an exception will likely depend on the strength of your finances, and the scale of your monthly outgoings – they will typically work in favour of someone who has a bigger deposit, for example.

The timing of your application also matters.

“You’re better off applying in the first quarter than the last quarter,” advises Grant, noting that banks may have used up their 20 per cent allocation coming into the end of the year.

He also suggests that you have a specific property in mind before you apply for an exception.

“Banks don’t want to give an exception away where it may not be used,” he says.

What is the area you're looking in if you don't mind me asking?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:01 pm 

Wolfe Tone wrote:
My sister did something similar recently and she got an exemption from the bank to borrow more than the 3.5 times your income limit. It seems you're more likely to get an exemption around now rather than later in the year which is a bit nuts.

We've already been granted an exception, but it was based on an arbitrary house value of our choosing rather than the bank saying 'this is the absolute most we will lend you', so now we're trying to get a slightly bigger exception. An extra 0.1 or 0.15 would probably do it.

Quote:
What is the area you're looking in if you don't mind me asking?

Phibsboro.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:11 pm 

Good stuff the best of luck with it. :thumbup:

Phibsboro is fast becoming the Ranelagh of the north side with the luas and the soon to be redeveloped shopping centre it's a great place to buy.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:19 pm 

Saw 9 places yesterday and another 1 today. Seems like there's a bit more stock coming online the last week or so, and less people viewing those that do. Got some serious thinking to do this week.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:42 pm 

Wolfe Tone wrote:

Phibsboro is fast becoming the Ranelagh of the north side with the luas and the soon to be redeveloped shopping centre it's a great place to buy.

Well I wouldn't quite compare it to Ranelagh yet :lol:

It's definitely improving though and we could stay in the house forever. So might as well go for it.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:11 pm 

Wolfe Tone wrote:

That’s like being the Beverly Hills of Damascus

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:07 pm 

Boxcar Ira wrote:
Wolfe Tone wrote:

It’s close to town, but it’s also close to Cabra, Finglas, Ballymun, Drumcondra and the North Inner city.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:09 pm 

The burnt out shell of a hotel in Ballymun is really giving the place a certain je ne sais qoui.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:10 pm 

Drove past there the day after the fire. The scorch marks were like modern art statement pieces.
The Pompedieu of Ballymun.

Last edited by Nolanator on Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:11 pm 

Leinsterman wrote:
The burnt out shell of a hotel in Ballymun is really giving the place a certain je ne sais qoui.

“Close to the M50, unlimited equestrian facilities, al fresco barbecue terrace....”

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:42 pm 

Flametop wrote:
Boxcar Ira wrote:
Wolfe Tone wrote:

It’s close to town, but it’s also close to Cabra, Finglas, Ballymun, Drumcondra and the North Inner city.

Are you comparing Drumcondra to Ballymun and Finglas?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:49 pm 

danthefan wrote:
Flametop wrote:
Boxcar Ira wrote:
Wolfe Tone wrote:

Are you comparing Drumcondra to Ballymun and Finglas?

North of the Liffey, Darling \SoCoDu

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:56 pm 

I used to drive through Drumcondra all the time.
It has some expensive properties between there and Phibsborough that people go wild for, but overall I think the area is surrounded by areas that don’t really appeal to me.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:09 am 

Flametop wrote:
It has some expensive properties between there and Phibsborough that people go wild for, but overall I think the area is surrounded by areas that don’t really appeal to me.

You used to drive through it. I.e. you haven't a rashers.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:45 am 

Flametop wrote:

Its the same in the south city. I was viewing a house in Harolds Cross on Saturday. Rathgar, Ranelagh and Terrenure a stones throw from Drimnagh, Crumlin, the liberties and a host of other less desirable areas (haven't included Kimmage as that seems reasonably nice in parts). On my drive back I saw more scrawny scummers strutting down the street with their tops off showing off their pidgeon chests than I ever see on the Northside. Like a bunch of shambling wights from GOT.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:12 am 

You must have a good throwing arm on you.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:20 am 

Any city has rough areas and nice areas, often they're close to each other, that's what makes the nice areas nicer. The really bad parts are where there are lots of rough areas all beside each other.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:51 am 

I'm moving to the liberties. It may be edgy now but it will gentrify.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:00 am 

iarmhiman wrote:

Newish property or older building?

The Liberties has some rough enough or dingy spots, but it's definitely changing.
Viewed an apartment on Pim street years ago and while it and the block were lovely, there was a halting site next door and a lot of the older houses were fairly shite looking. Some buildings that could do with being redeveloped.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:01 am 

Nolanator wrote:
iarmhiman wrote:

Newish property or older building?

The Liberties has some rough enough or dingy spots, but it's definitely changing.
Viewed an apartment on Pim street years ago and while it and the block were lovely, there was a halting site next door and a lot of the older houses were fairly shite looking. Some buildings that could do with being redeveloped.

1998 apartment property.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:43 pm 

Prices already well up there in anticipation of the future gentrification.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:14 pm 

Used to live near Vicar Street.
It’s a really good area if you want to buy heroin.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:29 pm 

Got onto the solicitor today. It seems my solicitor is trying to get a release clause for the seller's mortgage from the seller's solicitor. That's the hold up currently.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:34 pm 

Nolanator wrote:
Any city has rough areas and nice areas, often they're close to each other, that's what makes the nice areas nicer. The really bad parts are where there are lots of rough areas all beside each other.

A nice area surrounded with buffer areas is what’s most desirable. They are few and far between though and don’t come cheap.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:43 am 

iarmhiman wrote:

Liberties is changing, sadly. Cork Street used to be a lovely area with lot of houses, now it has become the worse. Blocs of apartments lining practically one side of the street, dreadful.

When the monstrosity of the new student building at the back of Warrenmount is finished, it will leave a permanent eyesore in the Blackpitts area.

I hate seeing old Dublin disappear,

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:26 am 

Miguel Indurain wrote:
iarmhiman wrote:

Liberties is changing, sadly. Cork Street used to be a lovely area with lot of houses, now it has become the worse. Blocs of apartments lining practically one side of the street, dreadful.

When the monstrosity of the new student building at the back of Warrenmount is finished, it will leave a permanent eyesore in the Blackpitts area.

The old houses are shite and low density, it's simply not sustainable. I'm not saying that Dublin needs Tokyo levels of grey soulless high-rise, but terraced or semi-D housing everywhere is not a runner.
Build quality and efficiency of space usages can be much higher in modern builds as well.

The problem with Cork street is the run-down industrial units on the Donore Ave. side. They're hideous and detract from any residential feel. The apartments on the Coombe side are a bit sanitised, but it takes time for things to settle. Been a while since I was down there, but were all the street level commercial properties occupied? As they fill up you'll get more foot traffic and the road will feel that it's more than simply a main route towards the city centre.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:27 am 

Nolanator wrote:
Miguel Indurain wrote:
iarmhiman wrote:

The old houses are shite and low density, it's simply not sustainable. I'm not saying that Dublin needs Tokyo levels of grey soulless high-rise, but terraced or semi-D housing everywhere is not a runner.
Build quality and efficiency of space usages can be much higher in modern builds as well.

The problem with Cork street is the run-down industrial units on the Donore Ave. side. They're hideous and detract from any residential feel. The apartments on the Coombe side are a bit sanitised, but it takes time for things to settle. Been a while since I was down there, but were all the street level commercial properties occupied? As they fill up you'll get more foot traffic and the road will feel that it's more than simply a main route towards the city centre.

hey , you get your new gaff sorted ?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:40 am 

backrow wrote:
Nolanator wrote:
Miguel Indurain wrote:
iarmhiman wrote:

hey , you get your new gaff sorted ?

:thumbup:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:41 am 

:thumbup:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:56 am 

Nolanator wrote:
Miguel Indurain wrote:
iarmhiman wrote:

The apartment blocs along the Donore Avenue side are awful and not amount of time passing will make their ambience better.

The houses on Reuben Street, Emerald Square, Marrowbone Lane, and the houses on the opposite side along Donore Ave, Brickfield Lane, are nice by comparison.

Lots of the new commercial properties remain empty.

And a couple of Irish international rugby players lived close by where your better half used to life in that same area.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:16 pm 

Macsimus wrote:
Flametop wrote:

Its the same in the south city. I was viewing a house in Harolds Cross on Saturday. Rathgar, Ranelagh and Terrenure a stones throw from Drimnagh, Crumlin, the liberties and a host of other less desirable areas (haven't included Kimmage as that seems reasonably nice in parts). On my drive back I saw more scrawny scummers strutting down the street with their tops off showing off their pidgeon chests than I ever see on the Northside. Like a bunch of shambling wights from GOT.

Harolds cross is but Rathgar, Ranelagh and Terenure are not close Driminagh, Liberties etc. For me anywhere left of Harolds cross bridge I would no interest in living in bar the very odd exception.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:24 pm 

Buy more my pretties!! More I say!!!

**RUNS AWAY LAUGHING MANIACALLY

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:45 am 

in a bidding battle for place we'd like to get. After real estate agent came back with counter bid i said given that i've never been asked to prove my funding and that i could be the vendor's cousin jacking up the price, how do i know the person i'm bidding against isn't the same - i then provided proof of my funding - he said they sold a house for the other bidder and in this market they could sell it anyway - daft sh1t really. anyway, i put in the last bid on tuesday evening and havent heard anything since - mad stuff Ted. I've a person from Bank of Ireland that assists clients with this sh1t but any suggestions ?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:25 am 

Miguel Indurain wrote:
Nolanator wrote:
Miguel Indurain wrote:
iarmhiman wrote:

The apartment blocs along the Donore Avenue side are awful and not amount of time passing will make their ambience better.

The houses on Reuben Street, Emerald Square, Marrowbone Lane, and the houses on the opposite side along Donore Ave, Brickfield Lane, are nice by comparison.

Lots of the new commercial properties remain empty.

And a couple of Irish international rugby players lived close by where your better half used to life in that same area.

Must have a look at Marrowbone lane, my dad had a garage there way back.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:54 am 

ticketlessinseattle wrote:
in a bidding battle for place we'd like to get. After real estate agent came back with counter bid i said given that i've never been asked to prove my funding and that i could be the vendor's cousin jacking up the price, how do i know the person i'm bidding against isn't the same - i then provided proof of my funding - he said they sold a house for the other bidder and in this market they could sell it anyway - daft sh1t really. anyway, i put in the last bid on tuesday evening and havent heard anything since - mad stuff Ted. I've a person from Bank of Ireland that assists clients with this sh1t but any suggestions ?

Go to your max (slowly) and stick, some people will tell you that you paid too much but it's your home and being happy there is far more important than 10/20K.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:16 am 

danthefan wrote:
Flametop wrote:

You used to drive through it. I.e. you haven't a rashers.

Drumcondra is a fine area to live in.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:36 am 

There is a line from Marino across to Glasnevin which are great areas to live in. Slightly south, Drumcondra over to Phibsborough are also excellent areas to buy.

Cabra east is gentrifying with the luas there now. Cabra West has the luas terminus as well but it's still a little rough.

Ballybough to the east of Drumcondra is still rough. Fairview to the east of that again is another good area to buy.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:06 pm 

Quote:
prices coming down in London for first time in almost 10 years apparently - get out while ya can

Not all of London, mostly the most expensive parts. I valued a flat in Chelsea Docks last year at £700k, down to £625k now and still counting.

On a separate note were thinking of selling our house in Galway. Any good advice on timings for the area?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 669 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next