Chat Forum
It is currently Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:41 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 682 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:44 pm 

Spell wrote:
Quote:
prices coming down in London for first time in almost 10 years apparently - get out while ya can

Not all of London, mostly the most expensive parts. I valued a flat in Chelsea Docks last year at £700k, down to £625k now and still counting.

On a separate note were thinking of selling our house in Galway. Any good advice on timings for the area?

About now would be good. By autumn, banks will have burned through their exemptions on the mortgage rules.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:55 pm 

funny update from tosser of an estate agent i'm dealing with - he spoke to my wife friday to see if we weren't interested in coming to viewing saturday between 10 and 10.30 ; under bidder wants to look again (i've the highest bid) plus 2 others. Anyway, i got there at 10.20 and met one of the other parties (they were all dispersing) - apparently no one there when everyone showed up - one of them called estate agent to see wtf - (10.10) and said they saw him pulling away at 10.05 - he said he'd waited an no one showed up so fcuked off to another appointment - bu you're to be here until 10.30....yeah, its my last day mate, i dont give a fudge.....! then e-mailed me 5.30pm yesterday to say under bidder came back with higher offer but to follow up with his manager as it was his last day ! amateur hour

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:53 am 

Got a call from the solicitor.

Closing date looking like 2 weeks from now.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 11:33 am 

interesting dilemma - bidding on 2 houses ; 1st choice has a bunch of red flags and bidding has ramped up to 10% above asking - was prepared to push up higher - 2nd choice hav come back this morning and said they'll take property off the market and its ours €25k more than asking if we confirm by 4pm today. 2nd choice sellers seem to know what they're at, less messing, sale agreed on where they're moving and seem ready to go. 1st choice seem a bit undecided, not at sale agreed and bidding could continue to go up.
Am leaning to taking 2nd choice rather than losing it (if you'd offered it to me 2 months ago i'd have jumped at it) and being stuck in same position in 3 months time.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 2:03 pm 

Swear to Christ, if cervical cancer was an affliction exclusively of estate agents, nobody would give a shit.

We'd be pushing research scientists working on cures or improved smear testing down flights of stairs.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 2:13 pm 

ticketlessinseattle wrote:
interesting dilemma - bidding on 2 houses ; 1st choice has a bunch of red flags and bidding has ramped up to 10% above asking - was prepared to push up higher - 2nd choice hav come back this morning and said they'll take property off the market and its ours €25k more than asking if we confirm by 4pm today. 2nd choice sellers seem to know what they're at, less messing, sale agreed on where they're moving and seem ready to go. 1st choice seem a bit undecided, not at sale agreed and bidding could continue to go up.
Am leaning to taking 2nd choice rather than losing it (if you'd offered it to me 2 months ago i'd have jumped at it) and being stuck in same position in 3 months time.

If it was me I would go with 2nd choice all day long. Who knows how long 1st choice could be before they close on their own new house?

Depends on quality of house and area though. If 2nd choice is in a worse area could be worth rolling the dice on 1st

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 2:42 pm 

HighKingLeinster wrote:

If it was me I would go with 2nd choice all day long. Who knows how long 1st choice could be before they close on their own new house?

Depends on quality of house and area though. If 2nd choice is in a worse area could be worth rolling the dice on 1st

:thumbup: yup - am going with option 2 (until that goes tits up) - both are great houses, walk in nick -
option 1- Glasthule/Glenageary 5 minute walk from people's park and Glasthule DART which was why we were excited -
option 2 is 15/20 minute walk to either blackrock village or monkstown - not as accessible to stuff we like.....15 minute to get a pint ffs.....but could walk kids to school in 15 minutes - option1 would probably be 25 minutes in the car to school -

option 1 - great at the weekend but fcuk knows which way bidding will go and vendor is flaky - option 2 logically is more practical for the other 5 days of week

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 3:07 pm 

What about your local shop to pick up milk and sausages on a Saturday morning for breakfast? Close-by?

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 4:08 pm 

Option 1 - 25mins in the car to the school. so probably 2mins walk in the morning at rush hour :lol:

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 7:36 pm 

Nolanator wrote:
What about your local shop to pick up milk and sausages on a Saturday morning for breakfast? Close-by?

option 2 - 2 minutes walk away - i ended up going sale agreed on option 2, will see how it pans out- the estate agent for option 1 even said that he reckons the vendors are 50.50 with proceeding and the bidding is still going up - fcuk that.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 8:32 pm 

Option 2 still sounds pretty nice to be honest. 15mins walk to either Blackrock or Monkstown narrows it down to what is still a very nice part of Dublin.
Congrats.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 9:00 pm 

Leinsterman wrote:
Option 2 still sounds pretty nice to be honest. 15mins walk to either Blackrock or Monkstown narrows it down to what is still a very nice part of Dublin.
Congrats.

:thumbup: cheers - won't be celebrating until the get the keys to the gaff but fingers crossed, cheers

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 9:49 pm 

Leinsterman wrote:
Congrats.

:thumbup: cheers - won't be celebrating until the get the keys to the gaff but fingers crossed, cheers

This shouldn't be too far away either https://www.gillandhock.ie/our-story

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 11:10 am 

Right lads , Dan, ticketless, Macsimus et all

Shop around now for your Mortgage Protection insurance.

When you go sale agreed and formally apply for the mortgage, get through the underwriter and get letter of loan, pay 10% etc

you will need to get Mortgage protection insurance, get the packs, bring it into the bank, they have to notify the insurance company and only after the bank receives letter of assignment you get the draw down.

The mortgage protection insurance can take up to 6 weeks so get now. It won't activate until the bank gets letter of assignment so don't worry about paying before moving in.

I'm about to close but the delay has been due to this incredibly annoying issue.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 11:18 am 

The mad prices are not only restricted to Dublin - went to look at a house two weeks ago in Waterford that was on the market for 245. It ended up going for well over 280. Utter, utter madness.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 11:19 am 

You couldn’t build a house for €245k

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 11:19 am 

feckwanker wrote:
The mad prices are not only restricted to Dublin - went to look at a house two weeks ago in Waterford that was on the market for 245. It ended up going for well over 280. Utter, utter madness.

Central bank said that prices may drop in 2 years. Should be a steady supply by then

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 11:21 am 

iarmhiman wrote:
feckwanker wrote:

Central bank said that prices may drop in 2 years. Should be a steady supply by then

I’d say they’ve already started to level off a bit. Who knows about 2 years time - brexit, Trump, oil, interest rates rising slowly

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 11:23 am 

iarmhiman wrote:
Got a call from the solicitor.

Closing date looking like 2 weeks from now.

I still remember the big sigh of relief when you close the door behind you, even if it's not your first property.
A house beside me is being renovated for over a year now, the fecker doesn't seem to give a fig for planning permission.
Built a bungalow where a flat roof shed was supposed to go, 4 dormer windows instead of velux type windows.
Height issues as well.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 11:32 am 

iarmhiman wrote:
feckwanker wrote:

Two more years of spending dead money on rent.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 11:35 am 

feckwanker wrote:
iarmhiman wrote:
feckwanker wrote:

Two more years of spending dead money on rent.

It's tough. They can't keep rising though

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 11:37 am 

iarmhiman wrote:

When you go sale agreed and formally apply for the mortgage, get through the underwriter and get letter of loan, pay 10% etc

you will need to get Mortgage protection insurance, get the packs, bring it into the bank, they have to notify the insurance company and only after the bank receives letter of assignment you get the draw down.

The mortgage protection insurance can take up to 6 weeks so get now. It won't activate until the bank gets letter of assignment so don't worry about paying before moving in.

I'm about to close but the delay has been due to this incredibly annoying issue.

Do you mean life insurance? Banks will always demand you have that but there's no requirmement with some banks to take out insurance in the event you may lose your job

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 11:46 am 

Leinsterman wrote:
iarmhiman wrote:

Do you mean life insurance? Banks will always demand you have that but there's no requirmement with some banks to take out insurance in the event you may lose your job

Yes. Ulster Bank call it Mortgage Protection Insurance.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 11:52 am 

iarmhiman wrote:
Leinsterman wrote:
iarmhiman wrote:

Also known as PPI.
Seriously, are banks forcing people to buy this ?
They have to repay billions of mis-sold PPI here in the UK.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 12:01 pm 

Leinster in London wrote:
iarmhiman wrote:
Leinsterman wrote:
iarmhiman wrote:

Also known as PPI.

My bank won't draw drown until I have that in place as well as an indemnity for building block I'm going to be living in which has to be provided by property management company

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 12:16 pm 

Leinster in London wrote:
iarmhiman wrote:
Leinsterman wrote:
iarmhiman wrote:

Also known as PPI.

It's a life insurance policy that lasts the length of the mortgage, and pays out the outstanding amount of the mortgage should either of the mortgage holders die. The banks used to insist that you took their policy which was a nice little earner for them, and probably explains why the act the cúnt when the policy is not theirs.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 2:03 pm 

Mortgage Protection = decreasing term life assurance.

Mortgage Payment Protection = a payment protection policy that covers your payments if you are not getting paid (sick / unemployed etc).

Stupidly similar names tbf.

Cheers Iarm - was aware of that as used to sell the stuff, but its a good tip - shocking that your mortgage adviser in the bank didn't give you a heads up earlier.

We've got offers in on two properties now - going to play them off against each this week and try and squeeze a deal through. Hopefully the CB Governor's comments has rattled them a bit.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 4:26 pm 

iarmhiman wrote:
feckwanker wrote:

A lot apartments and housing will start coming on the market when the CGT relief kicks ins in 2019 onwards(it's actually 7 Dec 2018). Won't do much for the rental market but should give house buyers more options.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 4:29 pm 

A mate of mine had gone Sale Agreed on a house and then BOI said "oh, we're not giving you an exemption anymore".
He even had a letter from the bank stating he was being given the exemption. Apparently loads of people with BOI have experienced the same thing over the last month or two. Sounds like a serious fcuk up.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 4:37 pm 

Leinsterman wrote:
A mate of mine had gone Sale Agreed on a house and then BOI said "oh, we're not giving you an exemption anymore".
He even had a letter from the bank stating he was being given the exemption. Apparently loads of people with BOI have experienced the same thing over the last month or two. Sounds like a serious fcuk up.

Ouch that’s rough. The CB must have been on to BoI for giving out too many exemptions. Have to get it sorted early in the year

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 7:38 pm 

Leinsterman wrote:

An ltv exemption or an lti exemption? I've heard the latter are running out fast alright.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 5:22 pm 

Done. 8)

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 5:40 pm 

iarmhiman wrote:
Done. 8)

Congrats Iarmhi. My wife is currently closing on our first house, slightly terrified and my wallet is about to take a phenomenal pounding with all the work she has planned for it.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 5:43 pm 

So guys, what’s the chatter on house prices in Dublin? Are they still on the rise or have they started to settle? I haven’t being following this thread much.

Where did you buy iarmhiman? What did you go for? What was the price? Or ignore my line of questioning, maybe too personal.
Congrats by the way.

In the buying market myself.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 5:47 pm 

Stevus55 wrote:
iarmhiman wrote:
Done. 8)

Congrats Iarmhi. My wife is currently closing on our first house, slightly terrified and my wallet is about to take a phenomenal pounding with all the work she has planned for it.

Did you previously mention that you are based in Jacksonville, Stevus?

Apropos to nothing, I was there recently for the Player's Championship. Had a right feed of pints in Lynch's on the beach one evening.

Best of luck with the house purchase.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 5:52 pm 

ZappaMan wrote:
Stevus55 wrote:
iarmhiman wrote:
Done. 8)

Apropos to nothing, I was there recently for the Player's Championship. Had a right feed of pints in Lynch's on the beach one evening.

I am indeed. Lynch’s is a decent spot, actually has some Irish (and Northern Irish) working there too.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 5:56 pm 

Stevus55 wrote:
ZappaMan wrote:
Stevus55 wrote:
iarmhiman wrote:
Done. 8)

I am indeed. Lynch’s is a decent spot, actually has some Irish (and Northern Irish) working there too.

Yeah, I met them. I'm sure they'll recall a pair of drunken, middle-aged Kerrymen badgering them on the Saturday afternoon.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 6:05 pm 

ZappaMan wrote:
Stevus55 wrote:
ZappaMan wrote:
Stevus55 wrote:
iarmhiman wrote:
Done. 8)

Yeah, I met them. I'm sure they'll recall a pair of drunken, middle-aged Kerrymen badgering them on the Saturday afternoon.

Are you not from Terenure ?

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 2:03 pm 

iarmhiman wrote:
Done. 8)

Congrats Iarm - you must be delirah - the whole business is some pain in the gonads.

Good news on our front too - we've gone sale agreed, lovely 4 Bed with a big sunny garden. Needs some work, but that's to be expected. Had an engineer friend round and he reckons its rock solid. Delighted. :D

Also - BOI just told us last night that they are extending their 3% cashback deal (which was due to finish in June), until September which puts a nice wedge back in our pockets - we may not have to sit on milk crates and sleep on the floor for the first six months after all :thumbup:.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 2:05 pm 

Congrats lads well done go and celebrate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 682 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next