Chat Forum
It is currently Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:37 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 682 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:19 pm 

ukjim wrote:

Caveat emptor and all that.

price of a pint of vitamin G by postal area in dublin.

https://guindex.ie/statistics/

Who the jaysus is charging 6quid for a Guinness in Malahide?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:22 pm 

Moved in. Beds in. Just waiting on sofas which will take another 3 weeks.

Loving my new home already.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:40 pm 

iarmhiman wrote:
Moved in. Beds in. Just waiting on sofas which will take another 3 weeks.

Loving my new home already.

I hope you’ve ordered your wheelie bins

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:43 pm 

Keep all your receipts for your white goods, beds, sofas etc.
Anything with a warranty.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:53 pm 

Now you need to start fúcking with boundaries and suing your neighbours.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:21 pm 

anonymous_joe wrote:
Now you need to start fúcking with boundaries and suing your neighbours.

When is the first all night Jungle Rave party? It is traditional to have them on the first Mon and Tues of every week for a year

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:39 pm 

nardol wrote:
centre-ish of the village. Dart side of the town.

Village is grand. Igoe bar is a bit rough and ready but not bad. Ramblers rest bar is a total no-go though.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:36 pm 

Was bidding on a place there in Drumcondra that honestly was perfect for us, got to the stage where we were the only party involved, and the bloody vendors took it off the market. So remain firmly at square one.

However though this week I've been offered a job that I'd be absolutely insane to turn down. So will have to wait a bit now assuming I have a probationary period, should get my contract by the end of the week. Bit of a shame but in the long run in terms of my career I have to take it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:46 pm 

danthefan wrote:
Was bidding on a place there in Drumcondra that honestly was perfect for us, got to the stage where we were the only party involved, and the bloody vendors took it off the market. So remain firmly at square one.

However though this week I've been offered a job that I'd be absolutely insane to turn down. So will have to wait a bit now assuming I have a probationary period, should get my contract by the end of the week. Bit of a shame but in the long run in terms of my career I have to take it.

A big pay rise Dan?? If so then you got to take it and you'll get a way bigger loan in 6 months.

Prices are slowing down now anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:53 pm 

iarmhiman wrote:
danthefan wrote:

A big pay rise Dan?? If so then you got to take it and you'll get a way bigger loan in 6 months.

Prices are slowing down now anyway.

Yeah decent bump alright, she's had a bit of a payrise too so we'll be about to borrow a lot more.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:59 pm 

My brother is in the process of changing jobs and was able to complete drawdown before his notice period ran out.

How long is your notice period?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:14 pm 

Uncle Fester wrote:
My brother is in the process of changing jobs and was able to complete drawdown before his notice period ran out.

A month. We're nowhere in the house buying process at the moment so a month isn't long enough unfortunately.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:16 pm 

Broker said that even if it didn't happen in time, keeping his mouth shut was the way to go.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:42 pm 

danthefan wrote:

Congrats on the job :thumbup:

Sounds like you're making the right decision. Definite signs of a slow down out there.

On our side we had to walk away from the house we went sale agreed on. Couldn't get flood damage insurance as it was only 100m from the sea. The whole area has just been rezoned in the last year. Frustrating to have to walk away, but had to be done. Wasn't so much worried about actually being flooded, more what it would do to resale value if whoever we might sell it to in the future wouldn't be able to get cover.

In the meantime we've been bid off a property in Drumcondra and one in Terrenure. Both went significantly over asking. Pretty exhausted with it at this point, but will soldier on.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:22 pm 

danthefan wrote:

Probably waiting for the housing market to pick back up in September.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:43 pm 

Macsimus wrote:
danthefan wrote:

Congrats on the job :thumbup:

Sounds like you're making the right decision. Definite signs of a slow down out there.

On our side we had to walk away from the house we went sale agreed on. Couldn't get flood damage insurance as it was only 100m from the sea. The whole area has just been rezoned in the last year. Frustrating to have to walk away, but had to be done. Wasn't so much worried about actually being flooded, more what it would do to resale value if whoever we might sell it to in the future wouldn't be able to get cover.

In the meantime we've been bid off a property in Drumcondra and one in Terrenure. Both went significantly over asking. Pretty exhausted with it at this point, but will soldier on.

Cheers, much appreciated.

And yeah it really gets on top of you at times doesn't it. Been looking since January and we're still at square one. Whole process is tortuous.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:44 pm 

The fun really starts after you go sale agreed.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:44 pm 

danthefan wrote:
Uncle Fester wrote:

A month. We're nowhere in the house buying process at the moment so a month isn't long enough unfortunately.

if your mortgage approved sure you're good for 6 months. say natin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:51 pm 

That's basically what the broker told my brother. He finishes on Tuesday. Likely to close by the end of the week. Unless there's a big gap, just keep the head down and in the unlikely event you're caught, just play "oh right silly me".

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:57 pm 

We did exactly that. Wife changed jobs a month before we got the keys. Said absolutely nothing. So long as the paperwork such as payslips was within the last six months, the bank was happy.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:14 pm 

so the solicitors are dragging their arse on getting the last few boxes ticked in my house purchase - below are the last few items - am thinking of saying fcuk it i'll risk signing without these ; am trying to figure out worst case scenario - for the NPPR for example i'm sure we could just get a side letter saying the vendor is responsible for any property tax while they were owner - anyone have any idea ?

1. Draft Family Home Declaration in the new format.

2. Certificate of Exemption or Certificate of Discharge for the N.P.P.R.

3. Letter from the relevant Local Authority confirming that the roads and services are in charge.

4. What development is referred to in the copy letter from........Architect, dated 30/5/1989. (The vendor's solicitors are making enquiries in relation to this point)

cheers

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:17 pm 

Leinsterman wrote:
We did exactly that. Wife changed jobs a month before we got the keys. Said absolutely nothing. So long as the paperwork such as payslips was within the last six months, the bank was happy.

If we were sale agreed and in that process I'd probably do that but we only have approval from one bank, who I bank with, who would just have to take a cursory look at my account to see the change in the source of my salary.

Talking to a broker, but as we aren't actually losing out on a property it's not the end of the world, we can hang on for a few months.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:01 pm 

ticketlessinseattle wrote:
so the solicitors are dragging their arse on getting the last few boxes ticked in my house purchase - below are the last few items - am thinking of saying fcuk it i'll risk signing without these ; am trying to figure out worst case scenario - for the NPPR for example i'm sure we could just get a side letter saying the vendor is responsible for any property tax while they were owner - anyone have any idea ?

3. Letter from the relevant Local Authority confirming that the roads and services are in charge.

4. What development is referred to in the copy letter from........Architect, dated 30/5/1989. (The vendor's solicitors are making enquiries in relation to this point)

cheers

As far as I remember, the fines for non payment of NPPR are massive (into the high thousands). Make sure you're not liable.

Not sure what you mean by the first but if it's anything to do with anyone having a claim on the house as a family home then obviously it needs to be resolved first.

Other two seem minor.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:14 pm 

CM11 wrote:

cheers

As far as I remember, the fines for non payment of NPPR are massive (into the high thousands). Make sure you're not liable.

Not sure what you mean by the first but if it's anything to do with anyone having a claim on the house as a family home then obviously it needs to be resolved first.

Other two seem minor.

yup, signed contracts this morning and apparently it can be up to €7k in fines - should be sorted by time funds are transferred, cheers

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:46 pm 

Got the sofas in yesterday. Fairly much done now in terms of furniture.

Having the small problem of ants in the bathroom. Not too many but enough to annoy me.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:25 pm 

Where did you buy Iarmhiman ?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:39 pm 

Conspicuous wrote:

Mount Brown beside St James hospital

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:34 pm 

iarmhiman wrote:
Got the sofas in yesterday. Fairly much done now in terms of furniture.

Having the small problem of ants in the bathroom. Not too many but enough to annoy me.

And traps work wonders. Will post a pic later if i get a chance.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:21 pm 

iarmhiman wrote:
Conspicuous wrote:

Mount Brown beside St James hospital

Work to be done? Pretty old houses from what I recall. Used to live on Brookfield road so know the area well.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:28 pm 

reckon typical....1 week after i close

House prices in Dublin's most expensive areas have fallen dramatically in the first six months of the year - report

https://www.independent.ie/life/home-ga ... 73627.html

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:24 pm 

House prices in Dublin's most expensive areas have fallen dramatically in the first six months of the year - report

House prices or asking prices?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:47 pm 

Duff Paddy wrote:

House prices or asking prices?

It's in the report.
Quote:
The report, the Residential Property Price Barometer, is compiled from actual sales achieved nationwide by members of IPAV

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:02 pm 

Nobody likes the value of their property to decrease.

However, if you were happy when you bought it, still have your job/can afford thecrepayments and you’re not thinking of selling it soon, nothing really has changed.

It’s the same for people whose houses have appreciated.
You haven’t gained or lost anything until you sell.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:06 pm 

Flametop wrote:

However, if you were happy when you bought it, still have your job/can afford thecrepayments and you’re not thinking of selling it soon, nothing really has changed.

A lot of people rely on house appreciation to fund future capital purchases.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:09 pm 

anonymous_joe wrote:
Flametop wrote:

A lot of people rely on house appreciation to fund future capital purchases.

Like what?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:15 pm 

Bigger houses.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:35 pm 

anonymous_joe wrote:
Bigger houses.

Just as well those bigger houses don’t appreciate in value also, otherwise the gain from the sale of the smaller house might be lost against an increase in value of the bigger one.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:39 pm 

Yes but the equity built up isn’t. Add a bit of equity to a bit of appreciation and then you have a functioning property market that employs a lot of people

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:21 am 

Flametop wrote:
anonymous_joe wrote:
Bigger houses.

Just as well those bigger houses don’t appreciate in value also, otherwise the gain from the sale of the smaller house might be lost against an increase in value of the bigger one.

If your LTV is too high, you won't be moving anywhere.

But low LTV won't help you if the property you want to get has gone up by as much as yours.

Stability is good. We haven't had that in a long long time.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:18 pm 

Can anybody be advise of the First Time Buyers Help to Bug incentive?
Ok I understand this.
Quote:
The incentive will give you a refund of Income Tax and Deposit Interest Retention Tax (DIRT) that you paid in Ireland over the previous four years.

Does it matter about the LTV ratio of your mortgage? Or is it basically 5% of the house selling price, up to a max of 20K with no strings attached.

So once you have bought the house, is it a matter of getting paid back a tax free lump sum of 5%?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 682 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next