Chat Forum
It is currently Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:37 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2674 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48 ... 67  Next
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 10:48 am 

Seneca of the Night wrote:
Heymans wrote:
Heymans wrote:

Baclofene has good results.

It did. I think it has sort of gone the way of Antabuse (the one that makes you violently sick if you drink) as a treatment. It might be more prescribed in France though as there was a French doctor who wrote an influential book on curing himself with Baclofene. Naltrexone is the best one, but it just deals with the urges and cravings, not the underlying reasons why people drink.

Obviously yeah no drug is ever gonna quell the malaise of futility of life, for those afflicted with the problem.

There is one: alcohol! :nod: :smug:

And therein lies the problem.

Not even. It just makes it worse, as all addicitons do. I should know, I'm an addict.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 10:53 am 

Heymans wrote:
Heymans wrote:
Heymans wrote:

Baclofene has good results.

It did. I think it has sort of gone the way of Antabuse (the one that makes you violently sick if you drink) as a treatment. It might be more prescribed in France though as there was a French doctor who wrote an influential book on curing himself with Baclofene. Naltrexone is the best one, but it just deals with the urges and cravings, not the underlying reasons why people drink.

Obviously yeah no drug is ever gonna quell the malaise of futility of life, for those afflicted with the problem.

Not even. It just makes it worse, as all addicitons do. I should know, I'm an addict.

Apologies, I just mean that it's a short term fix. Long term of course it makes it worse.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 10:54 am 

Heymans wrote:
Heymans wrote:

Apologies, I just mean that it's a short term fix. Long term of course it makes it worse.

No worries. Yeah, life's a bitch in the end. Hope being the absolute worst, obviously.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 10:56 am 

penguin wrote:
penguin wrote:
Brand doesn't reinterpret them, he rephrases them at most and modernises and simplifies the phrasing. He's playing fast and loose with the aa traditions as he acknowledged at the beginning of his explanation (about 16 minutes).

Still quite a good talk. He and Peterson know their stuff. The steps are very very weird, by far the most effective solution to addiction yet devised, yet extremely unscientific and vague. God bothering stuff.

Most of his stuff I find pretty uncontroversial, even if I find things like his assertion that university lefty thinking is a small step from Mao's china a touch too hyperbolic. However on morality and recovery from addiction the wish to insert God as a necessary core didn't make sense to me. Telling atheists that the reason they are moral is because they are not really atheists I'll take a hard pass on, and the idea that recovery necessarily requires God seems like equally wishful thinking from someone who believes. As I understand it AA is based pretty squarely around God, and the success rates are extremely low. The most effective treatment I've heard of required the taking of other drugs - pretty robustly a scientific response to a physical issue.

He's much more interesting for me when he's talking about culture and politics. When he strays anywhere that is more moral he starts to crowbar in God...as you say, quite God bothery.

There's a whole thread on alcohol and the steps on here, where much of that is covered. Addiction and recovery seems to be one of those topics where everyone has a very personal opinion and many books get hurled across rooms as a reader trashes a writer's views on it.

Sure. I can see that. Frankly if I was ever addicted and looking for my own path I would look at a pharmacological solution because I'm a technophile. If my recovery required me to find God I'd be well and truly buggered.

Generally I think he's a pretty approachable speaker, but when he starts getting into anything where he's bringing in God and talking about things like metaphysical substrates I find myself switching off. There's a lack of clarity compared to his other thoughts.

:thumbup: I agree 100%.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 12:07 pm 

It doesn't matter whether you believe in them or not. Souls are real, just probably not in the way that you think they are.

What do you mean by soul, out of interest?

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 12:08 pm 

penguin wrote:
It doesn't matter whether you believe in them or not. Souls are real, just probably not in the way that you think they are.

Those things on the bottom of your feet.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 12:16 pm 

penguin wrote:

Oh I don't know, for the purposes of this thread, something like 'a conscious feeling of who you are'. For addicts and alcholics this is often wound up so tight there is almost no adult ego left, so in order to regain a sense of autonomy and control over their behaviour that needs to be redeveloped.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 12:24 pm 

penguin wrote:

Oh I don't know, for the purposes of this thread, something like 'a conscious feeling of who you are'. For addicts and alcholics this is often wound up so tight there is almost no adult ego left, so in order to regain a sense of autonomy and control over their behaviour that needs to be redeveloped.

Ok - fair enough, under that definition I'd change my answer from earlier.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 12:32 pm 

A good reminder why you need to clarify what people mean by even some common terms. I was watching the Peterson/Fry vs Goldberg/Dyson debate on political correctness...and about an hour and a half in Stephen Fry said something along the lines of "I imagine people are asking when we are going to talk about political correctness". As no one had defined clearly what they meant everyone just went on their merry way with their own talking points.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 12:38 pm 

penguin wrote:
A good reminder why you need to clarify what people mean by even some common terms. I was watching the Peterson/Fry vs Goldberg/Dyson debate on political correctness...and about an hour and a half in Stephen Fry said something along the lines of "I imagine people are asking when we are going to talk about political correctness". As no one had defined clearly what they meant everyone just went on their merry way with their own talking points.

I think this has been a problem in psychology for a long time. Timothy Leary pointed out in the early 60s that baseball analysts had a far more exact language than psychologists, so set about trying to develop one.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 12:51 pm 

penguin wrote:

I think this has been a problem in psychology for a long time. Timothy Leary pointed out in the early 60s that baseball analysts had a far more exact language than psychologists, so set about trying to develop one.

Interesting on two levels for this conversation - partly around the importance of clarity in communication, it's a great point, but also the fact that there was a man who would was very much testing the effect of psilocybin on the 'soul'.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 12:55 pm 

penguin wrote:
penguin wrote:

Interesting on two levels for this conversation - partly around the importance of clarity in communication, it's a great point, but also the fact that there was a man who would was very much testing the effect of psilocybin on the 'soul'.

He's obviously remembered for what he did when he left the reservation, but before that he was a very serious real deal psychologist. Circumplex model of personality, foundations of transactional analysis, pioneering group therapy, a common language etc.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 1:58 pm 

penguin wrote:
penguin wrote:

He's obviously remembered for what he did when he left the reservation, but before that he was a very serious real deal psychologist. Circumplex model of personality, foundations of transactional analysis, pioneering group therapy, a common language etc.

I'm of course aware of his reputation, but can't say I'd read anything much of his or even about him for that matter. Was just having a little read around - couldn't help laughing at the name change of his colleague Richard Alpert to Ram Dass. Magnificent.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 5:29 pm 

There is something sinister about the lunatic left when they make campaign against a man telling some young boys to clean their room, take care of themselves and reconnect with disconnected fathers.

It is almost as if they want there to be a lot of unemployed young men masturbating and playing video game all day.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 7:19 pm 

LBC interview with Peterson
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMBfT38xbhU

What a cvnt this man is...NOT

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 7:48 pm 

Mick Mannock wrote:

Treating people like individuals ? What a cvnt.... The efforts to debunk him are truly bizarre.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 7:52 pm 

bimboman wrote:
Mick Mannock wrote:

Treating people like individuals ? What a cvnt.... The efforts to debunk him are truly bizarre.

Good choice of interviewer too. Maajid Nawaz is so much better than Cathy Newman.

It would have been a difficult interview for James O'Brien.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 8:34 pm 

englishchief wrote:
There is something sinister about the lunatic left when they make campaign against a man telling some young boys to clean their room, take care of themselves and reconnect with disconnected fathers.

It is almost as if they want there to be a lot of unemployed young men masturbating and playing video game all day.

Young white men are getting their shit together is what is going on. They've been let down and failed by the culture around them so they're getting on with it themselves. It's excellent.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 8:37 pm 

That Russell Brand interview that was linked above is excellent. I just listened to it all and it is going to rack up huge numbers. Brand is a revelation. He is completely evolved from the idiot from a few years back.

An important Youtube video bound to be very influential.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLFQxVOvan4&t=3235s

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 8:55 pm 

englishchief wrote:

Young white men are getting their shit together is what is going on. They've been let down and failed by the culture around them so they're getting on with it themselves. It's excellent.

I'm a young white man.

I don't think I've been "let down and failed by the culture around..." - whatver that means.

And I'm not the only one.

The young white men you see need an "other" to blame. And a daddy figure to pay homage to.

But they're a minority thankfully.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 8:58 pm 

Conservative Eddie wrote:
englishchief wrote:

I'm a young white man.

I don't think I've been "let down and failed by the culture around..." - whatver that means.

Well, excellent. Pack it all up then. Dr Peterson, back to the lecture theatre for you, close down your youtube account and you can had back all that money from Patreon and book sales while you're at it too.

A young man in Ireland has confirmed to us that he's okay. So we can all go back to normal.

Thank God for that.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 9:03 pm 

englishchief wrote:

I'm a young white man.

Well, excellent. Pack it all up then. Dr Peterson, back to the lecture theatre for you, close down your youtube account and you can had back all that money from Patreon and book sales while you're at it too.

A young man in Ireland has confirmed to us that he's okay. So we can all go back to normal.

Thank God for that.

Ah don't be hasty.

If all the young blood dries up, there's always a cohort of middle aged men - if this thread is anything to go by - willing to step up to the plate.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 9:11 pm 

Quote:

Ah don't be hasty.

If all the young blood dries up, there's always a cohort of middle aged men - if this thread is anything to go by - willing to step up to the plate.

Let me tell you a story. I was young once. I was just like you. I sat down at a computer and I logged in and then here I was.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 9:18 pm 

Quote:

Ah don't be hasty.

Let me tell you a story. I was young once. I was just like you. I sat down at a computer and I logged in and then here I was.

Thank you Dr Peterson.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 9:27 pm 

englishchief wrote:

I do not think Peterson writes exclusively for young white men. His message is for all young men, apart from Irish ones

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 9:35 pm 

Mick Mannock wrote:
englishchief wrote:

I do not think Peterson writes exclusively for young white men. His message is for all young men, apart from Irish ones

The Irish aren't white either.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 9:36 pm 

Mick Mannock wrote:
englishchief wrote:

I don't think Peterson writes for anyone but himself and his entourage and his accountant obviously.
He is a money making machine atm with the midas touch milking his adoring audience for every penny he can. One of Canada's most successful exports atm, good on him.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 9:37 pm 

Mick Mannock wrote:
englishchief wrote:

Thank you Mr Doyle

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 9:44 pm 

c69 wrote:
Mick Mannock wrote:
englishchief wrote:

I don't think Peterson writes for anyone but himself and his entourage and his accountant obviously.
He is a money making machine atm with the midas touch milking his adoring audience for every penny he can. One of Canada's most successful exports atm, good on him.

It's quite weird but you're very determined to be wrong about him almost every time you make a comment about him.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 9:47 pm 

Taffcat, you don't think he is making loads of money or is very successful?
That's a bonkers viewpoint. But not really unusual tbh you seem to be offended on his behalf at every turn.
Have a good night.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 9:49 pm 

c69 wrote:
That's a bonkers viewpoint. But not really unusual tbh you seem to be offended on his behalf at every turn.
Have a good night.

:lol: My word, you are reaching La Soule levels of dimwittedness!

Have a nice evening yourself.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 10:46 pm 

englishchief wrote:

I'm a young white man.

The young white men you see need an "other" to blame. And a daddy figure to pay homage to.

But they're a minority thankfully.

this "daddy issue " you keep mentioning is a bright shinning light on something and it isn't society in general.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 10:48 pm 

englishchief wrote:

It is mainly due to absent or weak fathers. My sons were always taught their discipline, once you build in that habit it stays. Obviously they don't buy this anti-white narrative that is being spread at the moment.

I think the establishment and media is scared of young white men using their potential.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 10:52 pm 

c69 wrote:
Mick Mannock wrote:
englishchief wrote:

A writer who writes for an audience!

I guess you will be equally as scathing of all writers who do similar.

And film makers, musicians, artists...

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 11:05 pm 

fatcat wrote:
c69 wrote:
Have a good night.

:lol: My word, you are reaching La Soule levels of dimwittedness!

Have a nice evening yourself.

C69 has been very weird on this guy. Despite the fact C69 shares a lot of Peterson's politics, C69 can't get past opposing him because of who agrees with him.

Peterson has some quite liberal views, because he's been branded right wing via Alt Right labels and has a right wing following, C69 instinctively feels he has to hate the guy and that he's inherently wrong, yet can't work out or articulate why very well.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 11:17 pm 

Mick Mannock wrote:
c69 wrote:
Mick Mannock wrote:
englishchief wrote:

A writer who writes for an audience!

I guess you will be equally as scathing of all writers who do similar.

And film makers, musicians, artists...

Where am I scathing of him in my post? I see him as a media YouTuber rather than anything else.
As far as EDF wtf? I feel the ladyboy both protest too much and have no analytical abilities.
Strange very strange equivalences.
Kindy stop stalkingish

Last edited by c69 on Wed May 23, 2018 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 11:43 pm 

pontifex wrote:
:lol: There really is some kind of orchestrated campaign! They've even bought a meme factory, possibly soviet era.

:lol:

Hint: It's not aimed at Peterson.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 11:48 pm 

Mick Mannock wrote:
englishchief wrote:

Bro :(

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 1:12 am 

On the soul question - the notion of soul is not terribly different, structurally, from the notion of mind, it is just a mind that persists after the death of the body. Both are hard to support from a materialist perspective, if you believe in a neuro-chemical, physical brain, it's hard to justify a mind. What is it made of? Where is it, if it is not simply the physical brain? The pinneal gland? How is it contained in the brain, if that is how you choose to see it?

I'm not a philosopher of mind, so don't know all that much about it beyond the very basics, but most contemporary philosophers of mind are not dualists, but monists (that is, they don't believe in a mind/body separation). It seems to me that mind, like free will, is probably just a convenient way to talk about something which doesn't really exist. The only solution I can see which supports the notion of mind is some kind of acceptance of symbolic relations as a form of immaterial stuff. Not saying there's not something there, though, just that it is excluded from a materialist pperspective on the world.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 1:20 am 

paddyor wrote:
pontifex wrote:
:lol: There really is some kind of orchestrated campaign! They've even bought a meme factory, possibly soviet era.

:lol:

Hint: It's not aimed at Peterson.

I know who it's aimed at. That doesn't mean it's not dumb, nor that the meme factory that this comes from is producing anything other than the meme equivalent of Trabants or the East German attempt to invent a cool dance, the Lipzi https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSEqyraGFVo.

The question of why the wowsers trying to fight meme factories like 4chan with their own are so bad at it is an interesting one, though. Are the rules that these people have devised so restrictive that they are incapable of humour, since humour is transgressive, and often risky? Or are they just humourless by nature, since they are wowsers? The wowsers won't win a humour war, either way - they have unilaterally disarmed themselves. The whole thing does lend itself to mirth, in its own way.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2674 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48 ... 67  Next