Chat Forum
It is currently Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:08 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 346 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:46 pm 

England U20 to play the army:

Thoughts: Like the men, much of the U20 talent is in the senior set-up right now. But the front row looks solid and the locks both are very promising players. Perry, Bartlett and Galligan in particular are highly rated.In the backs Emma Uren is fast and plays both centre and winger, Attwood has been a veyr promising 10 and Rowland is another great young player from the Saracens youth set-up.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:07 am 

I think the England France game is going to be a fascinating match up. To me England are still playing a more structured game at present, and look at their best when going through the phases with pre-drilled moves. When the game breaks up, there is still a tendency to get excited and try and force the play.

France are also very well drilled, but to me look more adaptable when the game breaks up.

England have scored some fantastic tries, but often from moments of individual brilliance (Killdunne's two tries against Wales), whereas the French tries have been brilliant team efforts (Jade le Pesq's try against Ireland a case in point, involving a brilliant kick from the no 10,Bourdon, a great take on the run from the winger, Boujard, and then fantastic support from LePesq to finish the try).

I fancy England might still have too much, but there are some very good players in the French team, especially the back row, no 13 and both wingers. Bourdon can be a bit hit and miss at 10, but she is still quite young. At her best, though she is very good. Overall the French team are much better to watch than their male counterparts!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:13 am 

IMO France flatter to deceive. They had to work to hard to put away Scotland and Ireland.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:42 am 

eldanielfire wrote:
IMO France flatter to deceive. They had to work to hard to put away Scotland and Ireland.

Did you see the games?

The conditions were pretty horrible for that Scotland game.

Neither Ireland or Scotland seriously threatened.

For me England is the strongest thanks to their discipline. I hope that at home against England they can be on top.

The Welsh game is the banana skin.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:35 am 

Laurent wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:

Did you see the games?

For me England is the strongest thanks to their discipline. I hope that at home against England they can be on top.

Yes, but France's passing at times can be a tad basic and error prone. When their forwards can't overpower opponents they get stuck.

I'm not sure Wales will be a banana skin, they lack a plan or ability to get into opponents halfs and continunity in passing.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:23 pm 

eldanielfire wrote:
Laurent wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:

Did you see the games?

Yes, but France's passing at times can be a tad basic and error prone. When their forwards can't overpower opponents they get stuck.

I'm not sure Wales will be a banana skin, they lack a plan or ability to get into opponents halfs and continunity in passing.

It was pissing down for the full 80. Handling was genuinely difficult. The artificial pitch prevented a mudbath which, counter-intuitively, I believe would have benefited the stronger French pack which enjoyed embarrassing dominance at the set scrum and showed some good rolling mauls.

The standard of French kicking in open play and also place kicking appears a real weakness as dominant positions and well earned penalties were wasted. Jessy Tremouliere, a penetrative if risky runner from 15 is a weakness if she is to be the place-kicker. There was however a Farrel-esque crossfield kick by Bourdon collected and finished with pace and aplomb by Cyrielle Banet.

In spite of that, the fighting Scots enjoyed their share of dominant periods and captain, Lisa Martin, showed leadership and intelligence at 10.

Typically the French only really dug in when they had to. Reduced to 14, and 3-0 down shortly before halftime, they chose to score two tries at that point and then, with less than 10 minutes to go and two tries still required for a 4 try bonus point, they finally stepped up with 2 closing tries.

One game at a time but I expect England to be the better organised, better kickers and a little more powerful in the backs for what looks like being the showdown in Grenoble.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:48 pm 

It should be a great game. Yeah your assessments are right but i believe England’s killed king from hand is so vastly superior it gives them an effective exit plan where as France don’t. I also thin the French 10?is prone to me staked under pressure, not just in passing but decision making. Though England will have to bring their A-game physically and in concentrating in defence. A strong factor in the England’s favour us they are ver drop the belief they will get the better of France. The downside is a few new England players; Kildunne, Dow, Pearce etc genuinely havent been tested at test level and their decision making when given no space to run or those half gaps do niot open up as expected at lower levels and that one opportunity to pass us like st quickly or you lose focus in defence for one moment will be tested. For all her highlights Kildunnes game has been riddled with errors and lost moments to bring other players in.

I suspect if she is fit Amber Reed will be brought in at 12, Burford moved to 13 and a back 3 of Pearce, Waterman and Dow.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:08 pm 

For sure I did note a number of passes in the first 20 being fired out slightly behind the flat runner and way in front of the deep runner. Very muddly. This was a useful kick however (though nearly charged down?)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/43017721

Agree that England should be winners, even away, but there are more changes than I had realised

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:15 pm 

I watched 2 games in the Women's 6N so far. Not overly impressed tbh.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:17 pm 

Captain Scarlet wrote:
I watched 2 games in the Women's 6N so far. Not overly impressed tbh.

Well then you’ll know in future. It to watch and comment again.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:10 pm 

Actually watched England wales First half today and I think I can drop my banana skin comment.

The French will still need a dry track and good discipline to beat the orkettes :P

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:35 pm 

Watched it last night. Orcettes look good.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:36 pm 

Don't think I've ever seen no6 but she looks a top player.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:10 pm 

shereblue wrote:
For sure I did note a number of passes in the first 20 being fired out slightly behind the flat runner and way in front of the deep runner. Very muddly. This was a useful kick however (though nearly charged down?)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/43017721

Agree that England should be winners, even away, but there are more changes than I had realised

It was a useful kick, however it is also something France did multiple times against both Ireland and Scotland ad most of them are bad. France have alrady recall their 10 from sevens to replace their 20 who is a liability.

I can't see England being caught out by what France have 'created'. Likewise France's backline passing against Ireland, which where only slightly above Wales in quality in passing to static players freqently, and require sloopy defense for their tries. I can't see England opening up gaps and falling off tackles like some Irish players did or having their feet planted for such obvious moves on the inside like against Scotland.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:04 pm 

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/rugby-union/ ... p-trimmed/

https://twitter.com/Charlie_Beckett/sta ... 54/photo/1

Sarah Beckett who played 8 in the U20 vs army game is sister to Charlie Beckett who is in the men's England's U20. First Brother and sister to represent U20 for England. Meanwhile Rus Tuima in the men's U18's is Lagi's brother.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:20 pm 

Lobby wrote:
I think the England France game is going to be a fascinating match up. To me England are still playing a more structured game at present, and look at their best when going through the phases with pre-drilled moves. When the game breaks up, there is still a tendency to get excited and try and force the play.

France are also very well drilled, but to me look more adaptable when the game breaks up.

England have scored some fantastic tries, but often from moments of individual brilliance (Killdunne's two tries against Wales), whereas the French tries have been brilliant team efforts (Jade le Pesq's try against Ireland a case in point, involving a brilliant kick from the no 10,Bourdon, a great take on the run from the winger, Boujard, and then fantastic support from LePesq to finish the try).

I fancy England might still have too much, but there are some very good players in the French team, especially the back row, no 13 and both wingers. Bourdon can be a bit hit and miss at 10, but she is still quite young. At her best, though she is very good. Overall the French team are much better to watch than their male counterparts!

At the WC, France were totally out-played in the strategic aspect. Played everything from everywhere, England lots more clinical, won the game fairly easily I recall. Hopefully this time at home the girls don't have to rely so much on 'being at the right place at the right time' type strategy, and have more variation and intelligence to their game collectively.
They're certainly better drilled than I've seen the men's team over the past decade ! Which is totally unbelievable if you stop and think about it..

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:19 am 

A good interview/PR piece with Sarah Hunter where she explains how the standards in the domestic league is improving the national team:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZ5At5jlrP8

Long version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9nkapawodI

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:33 am 

Dork Lard wrote:
Lobby wrote:

At the WC, France were totally out-played in the strategic aspect. Played everything from everywhere, England lots more clinical, won the game fairly easily I recall. Hopefully this time at home the girls don't have to rely so much on 'being at the right place at the right time' type strategy, and have more variation and intelligence to their game collectively.
They're certainly better drilled than I've seen the men's team over the past decade ! Which is totally unbelievable if you stop and think about it..

The last RWC went the same way as last nations 6 Nations game, England started slow and did nothing in attack, but absorbed the majority of France's physical attacks. France looked good, then when England stepped-up France had no answers.

France haven't beaten England for 4 games now. Last time France beat England, England women were playing their current hooker at flanker, they 3 scrum halfs in the match day squad and basically an entirely different backline bar Amber Reed and half the current pack wasn't there. Also much of the current star players in the current squad where still playing U20 Rugby.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:35 pm 

England women for Friday. Hunter and Burford out with injury. Daley-McLean to captain. Lagi Tuima comes in at 13 (Yay), Lauren Cattell comes in at 12 (She's been very poor IMO) and Amber Reed recovering from injury comes to the bench. Burnfield comes in at 6 with Izzy Noel-Smith at 7.
The team:

Should be interetsing to see the change sin the backrow because England have so many options there:

Hunter: Classic English 8, always recycles in contact, never shy's form the physical stuff.
Cleall: Powerful and skillful at 6 or 8, plays on the edge and adds to the openside.
Packer: Fast and wild openside. Great at turning ball over and linking in attack
Noel-Smith: Massive engine, does all the unsceen work and everybody else's (disrupts rucks, carries constantly, tackles everything)
Burnfield: Lock in at 6, does a massive amount of the dirty work
S. Brown: Big, big ball carrier, always offers contact option and burst through defenses ruining opponents. Hard to knock off the rucks.
J. Brown: A quick 6 who uses speed over power, similar to Simmonds for the men.
Matthews: 6 with huge aggression and strength and speed always a massive carrying option.
Miller-Mills: Fast, big action backrow who is hugely difficult to bring down, always finds space.
Poppy Leitch: All tackling 6

Every player adds something every different to the backrow

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:07 pm 

If Cattell isn't suited for 12, at least there's Reed to come on, even if just to move the ball (don't know Cattell's game, to be fair, and assume she's had a speaking to about her job, chance to show what she's worth, etc.)

... but even more reason why Myers should have been included in the training group. :) (I'm championing her cause as I have in past years with Jack Yeandle and Guy Thompson for the men ... but I think she'll probably have a better chance of being capped than they ever did.)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:44 pm 

eldanielfire wrote:
The last RWC went the same way as last nations 6 Nations game, England started slow and did nothing in attack, but absorbed the majority of France's physical attacks. France looked good, then when England stepped-up France had no answers.

France haven't beaten England for 4 games now. Last time France beat England, England women were playing their current hooker at flanker, they 3 scrum halfs in the match day squad and basically an entirely different backline bar Amber Reed and half the current pack wasn't there. Also much of the current star players in the current squad where still playing U20 Rugby.

Well then I suppose it'll be a good streak breaking victory. :D

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:43 am 

An Interview clip with Marley Packer:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/43145022

The full Podcast (I've not listened to it yet):

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p05yqjpx

(A shame they don't even mention that they are interviewing Packer in the description)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:43 pm 

Wales team for Ireland:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:47 pm 

french team for italy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:56 pm 

England girl's scrummaging:

https://twitter.com/EnglandRugby/status ... 4863276034

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:25 pm 

And nice to see the Telegraph do a preview for tonights game:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/rugby-union/ ... ros-prove/

Kick off is 7:30pm tonight.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:05 pm 

eldanielfire wrote:

kick off 7.05 ... now in fact

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:21 pm 

Scotland get some points.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:28 pm 

message #2527204 wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:

kick off 7.05 ... now in fact

PISSED I missed the first 15 minutes due to BAD info x(

Still just caught Charlotte Pierce score a try in the corner and a great conversion.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:30 pm 

message #2527204 wrote:
Scotland get some points.

I hope so. Scotland are the only team with professionals on the pitch here. It's 21-8, they are being shamed by the English amateurs.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:30 pm 

It's pretty much one way traffic with England making a lot of mistakes, and the 4G pitch causing some trouble with the bounce.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:33 pm 

French number 8 has an apt name

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:49 pm 

England with an excellent bout of quick thinking and action to take the ball from their own 5m and score a try by Killdunne at the other end in a few phases a with 14 players.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:50 pm 

eldanielfire wrote:
England with an excellent bout of quick thinking and action to take the ball from their own 5m and score a try by Killdunne at the other end in a few phases a with 14 players.

was a damned fine try that.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:50 pm 

Nice try to finish off the half, while a woman down. Sin Bin over now and England lead 26 - 8. I think they'll add a few to that in the 2nd half.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:07 pm 

Scotland getting a lot of ball for a while now.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:12 pm 

message #2527204 wrote:
Scotland getting a lot of ball for a while now.

And England score, Pearce again off a great offload from Kildunne, though some terrible tackles.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:15 pm 

England, already without significant players, throw on some subs and a debut for Kelly Smith.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:20 pm 

Neville makes a bollocks call about the Maul, she was attached tot he same spot the whole time

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:22 pm 

eldanielfire wrote:
Neville makes a bollocks call about the Maul, she was attached tot he same spot the whole time

She told her to stay bound too.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 346 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next