Chat Forum
It is currently Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:18 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 275 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:19 pm 

Pat the Ex Mat wrote:
Mog The Almighty wrote:
Pretty sure its illegal to walk around with a samurai sword. Learning would be fun from a historical perspective but has virtually zero practical benefit. Unless maybe youre one of those dudes who dresses up as a knight and has a royal rumble with all the other medieval roleplay nerds. (which I would love to be part of one day. not the fighting, Id just watch and hit on the beer wench playing a lute on the sideline).

You have somewhat missed the point.

Weapons arts are not self defence. They are anachronisms.

If you want to learn how to fight, learn from a brawler

Bas Rutten is your man

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:39 pm 

Pat the Ex Mat wrote:
Mog The Almighty wrote:
Pretty sure its illegal to walk around with a samurai sword. Learning would be fun from a historical perspective but has virtually zero practical benefit. Unless maybe youre one of those dudes who dresses up as a knight and has a royal rumble with all the other medieval roleplay nerds. (which I would love to be part of one day. not the fighting, Id just watch and hit on the beer wench playing a lute on the sideline).

I want to learn how to fight effectively. i.e. grappling. With western boxing thrown in for fun and striking training.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:50 pm 

Mog The Almighty wrote:
Pat the Ex Mat wrote:
Mog The Almighty wrote:

I want to learn how to fight effectively. i.e. grappling. With western boxing thrown in for fun and striking training.

I thought the Swedes would be somewhat 'beyond' fighting.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:39 pm 

Man In Black wrote:
Mog The Almighty wrote:
Pat the Ex Mat wrote:
Mog The Almighty wrote:

I thought the Swedes would be somewhat 'beyond' fighting.

Meh.

They go all right.

They just don't have the same kind of macho bullshit culture as we do in Au/Nz/Eng/Ire, etc. Whatever you call that, "the anglosphere". Even the real tough cookies I played rugby with, many of whom are capped by Sweden, they're not really "macho". They're just quiet and tough. But you're not wrong. Truth is even those tough guys are the exception to be honest. Most Swedish fellahs are extremely metro/hipster if not plain effeminite.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:58 pm 

Pat the Ex Mat wrote:

The historical fencing club I'm at do wrestling as it was taught "back in the day". But otherwise, yeah.

Also, Mog:

Infinite amount of these boys coming at you three at a time at sixty second intervals how many could you take down?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:21 am 

Mog The Almighty wrote:
Pat the Ex Mat wrote:
Mog The Almighty wrote:

For sport or for 12:30 am in the car park when you are a bit pissed and two guys try to rob you? The transition from dojo to street is quite a big one. Take the above and throw in a knife and then its a different scenario again.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:56 am 

Joost wrote:
Pat the Ex Mat wrote:
Mog The Almighty wrote:

Bas Rutten is your man

He's such a don :thumbup:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:41 am 

kiwinoz wrote:
Mog The Almighty wrote:
Pat the Ex Mat wrote:
Mog The Almighty wrote:

For sport or for 12:30 am in the car park when you are a bit pissed and two guys try to rob you? The transition from dojo to street is quite a big one. Take the above and throw in a knife and then its a different scenario again.

haha. obviously you have yet to peruse the thread. You may find it amusing.

My position is that training in some effective & proven combat sport would be handy in such a situation if its unavoidable. Although certainly no guarantee. But better than not having it.

apparently thats crazy.

For me its about fitness and challenge with the above as a bonus, but not the whole point.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:43 am 

bessantj wrote:
Pat the Ex Mat wrote:

The historical fencing club I'm at do wrestling as it was taught "back in the day". But otherwise, yeah.

Also, Mog:

Infinite amount of these boys coming at you three at a time at sixty second intervals how many could you take down?

So street urchins 1 at a time every 60 seconds? reckon Id be taking them out until I was exhausted. So 2.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:03 am 

Mog The Almighty wrote:
bessantj wrote:
Pat the Ex Mat wrote:

Also, Mog:

So street urchins 1 at a time every 60 seconds? reckon Id be taking them out until I was exhausted. So 2.

No, three at a time

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:04 am 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8wxwqtRgSk

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:06 am 

bessantj wrote:
Mog The Almighty wrote:
bessantj wrote:
Pat the Ex Mat wrote:

Also, Mog:

No, three at a time

oh... probably 3 then.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:20 am 

DragsterDriver wrote:
Joost wrote:
Pat the Ex Mat wrote:
Mog The Almighty wrote:

Bas Rutten is your man

He's such a don :thumbup:

Looks to have the right instincts.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:09 pm 

God damn. Any of you experienced blokes got any tips for saving your toes? Mine are getting shredded. Just wait until they toughen up and grow calluses I guess?

As a side point, got a good reason to cut my toe claws regularly now.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:36 pm 

In related news, Leandro Lo (IBJJF World Champ) tried his hand at fighting in a club, apparently.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:58 am 

Turbogoat wrote:
In related news, Leandro Lo (IBJJF World Champ) tried his hand at fighting in a club, apparently.

He forgot the cardinal rule of Bar-fights:

"Windmill son, windmill"!!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:29 am 

Nguni stick fighting

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nguni_stick-fighting

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:36 am 

Christ, you wouldn't want to mis-time the knee shot practice :shock:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:56 am 

Another advantage of ring fighting is they ring a bell when it's time to fight. In the street, knowing when to start fighting and quit chatting, and thus get the jump on the other guy/s is a skill all by itself. In a ring you get to stand with your hands up ready. In the middle of an public altercation, putting your hands up in a boxing stance might be enough to start the fight all by itself. These days you also have to assume CCTV is watching you somewhere ugh...Even if you win the fight, you might loose the court case. What a minefield.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:00 am 

Mog The Almighty wrote:
First class tonight.

Any other practitioners? Not sure what to expect as one of my huge athletic weaknesses is my flexibility (although I do work on it, it's still shit - and I am 40 years old as of a couple of days ago).

I think BJJ and Western Boxing (which I also do) is a pretty handy combination. I figure that if I keep going for a few years and add a Mauy-Thai style low-kick to the that repertoire and I'd be pretty handy in a scrap (certainly don't claim to be at the moment). In fact, I don't think there's much else I could do. Apart from the bullshit fake martial arts, they're the only three things on offer here. They do a bit of submission wrestling at the BJJ center, but the focus is definitely on ju jitsu. Pretty sure there's also a few Judo schools around, but working full time and do weights training, BJJ and boxing is going to more than fill the schedule.

The only sure way that you are going to know if BJJ has improved your scrapping ability is to start a bar fight ASAP and then another one in say 2 months time. Compare the results and report back here :thumbup:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:21 am 

No Krav Maga in Sweden Mog?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:55 pm 

Sandstorm wrote:
Bullettyme wrote:
What type of almost 40 year old man is going around weighing up the possibility of getting into fights?

Just admit that you're having a mid life crisis.

He's just prepping for when the Mooslims over-run Sweden. :thumbup:

Pew research polls indicate that if current trends continue, Sweden will be 30% Muslim by 2050.

Which is not saying of course that I'm preparing for war against "the moooslims". Most of them are very nice. I'm just saying that people who don't think Europe is being culturally and religiously over-run are farking kidding themselves.

http://www.pewforum.org/2017/11/29/euro ... opulation/

Last edited by Mog The Almighty on Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:56 pm 

Zakar wrote:
No Krav Maga in Sweden Mog?

Yeah they have it. And I know it's supposed to be bad-ass as AF. I just prefer jui-jitsu for whatever reason. Despite the fight arguments, I'm not doing it get into fights. I'm doing it for fitness and challenge.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:01 pm 

Mog The Almighty wrote:
God damn. Any of you experienced blokes got any tips for saving your toes? Mine are getting shredded. Just wait until they toughen up and grow calluses I guess?

Tape, lots of tape!

It’s the same with fingers in Judo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:07 pm 

Joost wrote:
Mog The Almighty wrote:

Tape, lots of tape!

I'd love to be able to learn Judo. Alas life is so short and I'm too old.

But yes, I taped them all up before class on Monday. It was a pretty funny class too ... I turned up dressed in my brand-new crisp white gi, fold lines still in it from the packaging, white belt, etc. and accidentally had walked into the experienced sparring class instead of my beginner class (gotta work on my Swedish). They were cool as tho, and welcomed me anyway and invited me to spar with them so I hadn't wasted the trip. Ended up rolling with a brown belt with cauliflower ears for half an hour. God damn. It was great, and he took it easy and gave me heaps of tips, but that was some baptism of fire.

Also saw this poster on the wall, which I loved. Someone was giving me shit for starting BJJ at 40 somewhere in this thread.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:10 pm 

Joost wrote:
Mog The Almighty wrote:

Tape, lots of tape!

Pretty true pic. I've taken the skin off my fingers and knuckles a couple of times but you don't notice when you're going through the throwing exercises then someone gets blood on their gi during randori.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:36 pm 

Pat the Ex Mat wrote:
Turbogoat wrote:

He forgot the cardinal rule of Bar-fights:

"Windmill son, windmill"!!

BJJ obviously doesn't guarantee you don't get cut.

The article I read said it was against multiple attackers, who were armed, as we have been discussing. Given those odds, he seems to have done pretty well for himself! (and yes, I do still agree with you still that grappling on the ground with multiple guys attacking you is probably not the best idea).

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:50 pm 

Fortyish is still young, Mog.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FoYeZpMfStw

Eventually it becomes a way of life. And you find peace.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:00 pm 

Wilson's Toffee wrote:
Fortyish is still young, Mog.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FoYeZpMfStw

Eventually it becomes a way of life. And you find peace.

Cheers mate. Yeah, I've seen that video before. Couple of points: if that hipster with the top-knot is a "professional boxer", then so am I. Watch the video and just watch him. He has no clue what he's doing. Secondly, that old bloke probably started boxing at age 8. ;) :)

But it's the thought that counts ...cheers man! ;)

Actually one of my instructors who is a brown belt started BJJ at 38. He's 50 something now. But they don't hand out those belts in BJJ easily. The average time to advance from white to blue is 2-3 years, and only if you're constantly training and sparring multiple times a week. If I ever get a blue belt in my life I'll be pretty happy with that. On the same note, if you start BJJ as a child and progress as fast as you possibly can, the youngest you can expect to attain the highest rank (9th degree red belt) is by age 67.

EDIT: when I saw that vid, the title claimed "old man knocks down professional boxer", which was why I mentioned that...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:15 pm 

Every dog and his mouse posts videos, add titles. But the old man was nifty, yes. Proper old salt.

At my age (way beyond sixties) and basically cripple, I still work at karate, helps a kid here and there. Boxing stuff and CQC stuff can be neglected, at my age ... . ;)
Also starting classes for a few underprivileged kids, who will never be able to afford formal classes, elsewhere.

Exercise and a little action keeps me young ... youngsters are getting faster.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:22 pm 

:thumbup: good stuff.

I heard Joe Rogan talking to Georges St. Pierre the other day about points-karate, and how it really helps his MMA. I was a bit surprised. Apparently it's more useful than I thought.

Have you tried yoga? I do a bit of that too, with the idea of "keeping young".

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:29 pm 

Yoga and Pilates. Keeps me on my feet.

I suffered from arthritis all my life (since a little boy) but my hands and arms are still mostly limber, like a pianist's (which I am) Yoga, hot water springs, and Pilates. And plenty of other exercise.

Sorry. got to go now, we will chat again.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:51 pm 

Mog The Almighty wrote:
Gospel wrote:
crash 669 wrote:
Don't bother going to a martial arts class if you're wanting to be better at scraping, they're all sports and actual fighting is an entirely different thing, the adrenaline and fear can take away everything you've ever done in a martial arts class.

Absolutely. Trying to actually simulate that fear response in training seems to be the key to it at the sharp end.

As an aside I used to help teach a women's self defence class [my late father liked to use me as the assailant] and despite all the fancy moves it came down to really just one thing which was to seek an avenue of escape and NOT to go toe to toe. I'm glad I don't teach this stuff now though given every time there's some fighting to be done on tv you get a slip of a girl reverse punching a 300 pound gorilla through a brick wall. I'm not Jeff.

Obviously I disagree with crash's analysis, although I respect his experience. But I totally agree with the woman's self defence thing. My girlfriend did it for a while and said it was totally useless. They learned some moves that they could only actually do if their training partner actively let them do it. I think a lot of it is based on those old Asian "fake" martial arts. Best advice would probably be to run, and if cornered, scream as loud as possible and go for the nuts if it gets physical.

No expert or background in any of this, but a good friend of mine is a very good level BJJ and was golden gloves boxer as a kid. His advice to me if ever I wanted to get into it and wanted it to be useful was to pick an arts that involved some active but controlled fighting. Nothing worse than believing you are good when fighting and you have an 'obedient' opponent as he called it. Your foe is never obedient in reaity.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:22 am 

If you're a golden gloves boxer and high level bjj, you're a savage. Your friend sounds like a dude who could definitely look after himself in a scrap.

... and yeah. I'm nowhere close to your friend but imo any experience in any fight training that involves proper sparring is going to be handy. Both bjj and boxing involve lots of sparring. It basically is just controlled fight experience.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:00 am 

... so regarding the much anticipated bout between Tony Ferguson & Khabib Nurmagomedov, and also the "shark tank" light-weight division in the UFC (which also, at-least for now, includes Conor McGregor) ...

I watched all of Tony, Khabib and Conor's UFC fights, from their debuts on UFC Fight Pass over the past week. As a side-point, any fight-fan should sign up at UFC Fight Pass. First month is free and it's not expensive anyway.

Anyhow, the way I see it after that is that Khabib is waaaay out in front. Khabib just rag-dolled opponents that Ferguson struggled with. Ferguson and Conor both were seriously challenged, and even lost fights. Kabib just bulldozed through everyone with almost no resistance.

I seriously wouldn't be surprised if Khabib vs Ferguson turned out to be the same old story. Khabib just grinding down and mauling winning a decision fairly easily. Obviously, anything could happen and either Conor or Ferguson could potentially land a lucky strike. But the way I see it it's

1. Khabib
.... pure daylight ....
2. Ferguson
3. Conor

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 275 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7