Chat Forum
It is currently Mon May 21, 2018 5:45 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 277 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:44 am 

Sandstorm wrote:
pelo wrote:
Mog The Almighty wrote:
First class tonight.

Any other practitioners? Not sure what to expect as one of my huge athletic weaknesses is my flexibility (although I do work on it, it's still shit - and I am 40 years old as of a couple of days ago).

I think BJJ and Western Boxing (which I also do) is a pretty handy combination. I figure that if I keep going for a few years and add a Mauy-Thai style low-kick to the that repertoire and I'd be pretty handy in a scrap (certainly don't claim to be at the moment). In fact, I don't think there's much else I could do. Apart from the bullshit fake martial arts, they're the only three things on offer here. They do a bit of submission wrestling at the BJJ center, but the focus is definitely on ju jitsu. Pretty sure there's also a few Judo schools around, but working full time and do weights training, BJJ and boxing is going to more than fill the schedule.

I have done many sports and many contact sports. Bjj is by far the best I ever done, I am currently blue belt training 4/5 times a week gi and no gi. Not being flexible is not a big problem, learn the basic and you will be ok, you just won’t be able to do any crazy rubber guard shit.

Yeah, but can you take down drunken dudes in the street??

Try this old fokker, to do that
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_S2f7QPZKc

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:45 am 

Mog The Almighty wrote:
Damn that's an impressive physique.

Good plan Shanky. From white to red ... in whaddya reckon? ... six months? I could maybe cut it down to 3 if I train like a boss?

This is the description of Red Belt from http://www.jiujitsubrotherhood.com/prog ... lt-system/:

Quote:
Red Belt

Don’t worry about the red belt. Seriously.

and this is why:

Quote:
Red belt

According to Renzo and Royler Gracie, in Brazilian jiu-jitsu the red belt is reserved "for those whose influence and fame takes them to the pinnacle of the art". It is awarded in lieu of a ninth and tenth degree black belt. If a practitioner receives his or her black belt at 19 years old, the earliest they could expect to receive a ninth degree red belt would be at the age of 67.[1] Brazilian jiu-jitsu red belt holders are often addressed within the art by the title grandmaster. The 10th degree was given only to the pioneers of Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, the Gracie brothers: Carlos, Oswaldo, George, Gaston and Helio.
(wiki)

:lol:

Crazy that a practitioner could receiver a black belt at 19 considering that if you're good, it will take 12 years to get a black belt on average.

I know a 19-year old about to get his black belt. Amazing talent he is too.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:48 am 

Is this some kind of shanky troll or you really know a 19 year old who is about to get a Brazillian JJ black belt???

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:50 am 

Wilson's Toffee wrote:
Sandstorm wrote:
pelo wrote:
Mog The Almighty wrote:
First class tonight.

Any other practitioners? Not sure what to expect as one of my huge athletic weaknesses is my flexibility (although I do work on it, it's still shit - and I am 40 years old as of a couple of days ago).

I think BJJ and Western Boxing (which I also do) is a pretty handy combination. I figure that if I keep going for a few years and add a Mauy-Thai style low-kick to the that repertoire and I'd be pretty handy in a scrap (certainly don't claim to be at the moment). In fact, I don't think there's much else I could do. Apart from the bullshit fake martial arts, they're the only three things on offer here. They do a bit of submission wrestling at the BJJ center, but the focus is definitely on ju jitsu. Pretty sure there's also a few Judo schools around, but working full time and do weights training, BJJ and boxing is going to more than fill the schedule.

I have done many sports and many contact sports. Bjj is by far the best I ever done, I am currently blue belt training 4/5 times a week gi and no gi. Not being flexible is not a big problem, learn the basic and you will be ok, you just won’t be able to do any crazy rubber guard shit.

Yeah, but can you take down drunken dudes in the street??

Try this old fokker, to do that
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_S2f7QPZKc

I'm guessing that was security guard in the bottom right at the end. He didn't seem eager to get involved.

The first and second hits looked like sucker punches tbh. The last duck and weave and counter was class though.

Still, decking people over an argument on concrete is a dick move.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:56 am 

Mog The Almighty wrote:
Is this some kind of shanky troll or you really know a 19 year old who is about to get a Brazillian JJ black belt???

Not trolling. He hasn’t got it yet though.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:05 am 

shanky wrote:
Mog The Almighty wrote:

Very impressive.

You can't get a blue belt until you're sixteen, and the recommendations for the best students is that they spend a minimum of two years as a blue belt before being considered for a purple, a minimum of 18 months as a purple before being considered for a brown, and a minimum of 12 months as a brown before being considered for a black.

So to get a black belt at 19 you basically have to get a blue on your sixteenth birthday and then blow the minimum recommendations out of the water with natural talent and work. Which I believe has happened but it's rare as anything.

He or she must be a freak at the sport with a huge future.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:07 am 

I've been lucky enough to train with a red and white belt judoka. He was teaching black belts (I'm still not sure how I got invited along, since I've never been close to that!). The degree of precision was insane, they'd perform a throw and he'd advise them to be half an inch lower by bending the knee a bit more, and place the foot with a few more degrees rotation.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:08 am 

Mog The Almighty wrote:
pelo wrote:
Mog The Almighty wrote:
First class tonight.

How long did it take you to get to blue belt? I hear the progression is pretty slow. But I like the idea of belts. Even if it's a meaningless superficial marker, it gives you a goal and a sense of achievement. If I can get a blue belt in BJJ one day I'd be very happy with myself.

You will get a blue belt, even a black belt if you keep training. It's just a matter of how much time you spend on the mat learning, drilling and especially rolling. I got my blue belt in less than a year but i felt it was too quick. I didn't expect to be promoted and felt like refusing the belt. I didnt feel ready but I had to trust my Mestre's judgemnt. Don't focus too much on the belt and have fun, focus on tecnique rather than strenght and enjoy it. If you can do both gi and no-gi, oss!!!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:12 am 

pelo wrote:
Mog The Almighty wrote:
pelo wrote:
Mog The Almighty wrote:
First class tonight.

How long did it take you to get to blue belt? I hear the progression is pretty slow. But I like the idea of belts. Even if it's a meaningless superficial marker, it gives you a goal and a sense of achievement. If I can get a blue belt in BJJ one day I'd be very happy with myself.

You will get a blue belt, even a black belt if you keep training. It's just a matter of how much time you spend on the mat learning, drilling and especially rolling. I got my blue belt in less than a year but i felt it was too quick. I didn't expect to be promoted and felt like refusing the belt. I didnt feel ready but I had to trust my Mestre's judgemnt. Don't focus too much on the belt and have fun, focus on tecnique rather than strenght and enjoy it. If you can do both gi and no-gi, oss!!!

My brother has been doing BJJ for a few years now and hasn't got his blue belt yet. I'm not sure how often he goes, but he's not unathletic or lazy.

The instructor at the place I'm going to said he only teaches gi to beginners because it's better for learning the technique. He does teach non-gi as well, but only in the more advanced classes.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:13 am 

Mog The Almighty wrote:
shanky wrote:
Mog The Almighty wrote:

Very impressive.

You can't get a blue belt until you're sixteen, and the recommendations for the best students is that they spend a minimum of two years as a blue belt before being considered for a purple, a minimum of 18 months as a purple before being considered for a brown, and a minimum of 12 months as a brown before being considered for a black.

So to get a black belt at 19 you basically have to get a blue on your sixteenth birthday and then blow the minimum recommendations out of the water with natural talent and work. Which I believe has happened but it's rare as anything.

He or she must be a freak at the sport with a huge future.

He is a freak alright (state champ etc) but there’s a wrinkle in the system which means you can make progress to blue + stripes while in kids grades so you jump up as soon as you turn 16.

It’s still rare though. Watching him fighting his instructor (4 th dan) while he was still young was/is a thing of beauty. Just two real experts going for it

And no, not a relation of mine or even a mate or anything, just a great young talent :thumbup:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:20 am 

Mog The Almighty wrote:
pelo wrote:
Mog The Almighty wrote:
pelo wrote:
Mog The Almighty wrote:
First class tonight.

My brother has been doing BJJ for a few years now and hasn't got his blue belt yet. I'm not sure how often he goes, but he's not unathletic or lazy.

The instructor at the place I'm going to said he only teaches gi to beginners because it's better for learning the technique. He does teach non-gi as well, but only in the more advanced classes.

It depends how often he trains per week, I am pretty obsessed with it, most of the time i do two class per day. I do not agree that no-gi should be taught only to advanced student, I believe that training in both is very beneficial. No-gi obviousy relies less on grips and it is much faster, I prefer no-gi because there is less stalling. I was at Marcelo Garcia's academy in NYC in November and i had the pleasure to roll no-gi with Tana Umaga!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:22 am 

Mog The Almighty wrote:

I'm guessing that was security guard in the bottom right at the end. He didn't seem eager to get involved.

The first and second hits looked like sucker punches tbh. The last duck and weave and counter was class though.

Still, decking people over an argument on concrete is a dick move.

This is not about morality. This is about being able to walk away, unharmed.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:39 am 

pelo wrote:
It depends how often he trains per week, I am pretty obsessed with it, most of the time i do two class per day. I do not agree that no-gi should be taught only to advanced student, I believe that training in both is very beneficial. No-gi obviousy relies less on grips and it is much faster, I prefer no-gi because there is less stalling. I was at Marcelo Garcia's academy in NYC in November and i had the pleasure to roll no-gi with Tana Umaga!

Wow that sounds amazing.

I think the main reason he teaches gi to beginners is because there's a large group in the beginner class, some have proper gis, some come in t-shirts and shorts, etc. I don't know for sure, but doesn't no-gi require you to be either bare-chest or with that skin-tight lycra stuff on? I think it's a matter that he can't really ask all his beginner students to show up in skin-tights, and also because it's easier for beginners who are just getting to know the sport.

I don't know if he's teaching us "gi", I think he's just teaching a bit of a combination of both. It is the rank beginners after all.

I dunno though. I've been to one f'n class. lol. :)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:44 am 

Mog The Almighty wrote:
pelo wrote:

Wow that sounds amazing.

I think the main reason he teaches gi to beginners is because there's a large group in the beginner class, some have proper gis, some come in t-shirts and shorts, etc. I don't know for sure, but doesn't no-gi require you to be either bare-chest or with that skin-tight lycra stuff on? I think it's a matter that he can't really ask all his beginner students to show up in skin-tights, and also because it's easier for beginners who are just getting to know the sport.

I don't know if he's teaching us "gi", I think he's just teaching a bit of a combination of both. It is the rank beginners after all.

I dunno though. I've been to one f'n class. lol. :)

Ah ah it sounds a bit of a mess! Gi class everyone should have a gi and no-gi normally shorts and a rash guard.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:44 am 

pelo wrote:
i had the pleasure to roll no-gi with Tana Umaga!

Sounds sexy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:51 am 

why don't we just have a fight and put this thread to bed ?

Mog I reckon I can smash you Bro so get a flight over from Sweden and we can have a pagga, and then go for a beer later because you will still be able to drink then even though your teeth are gone. :thumbup:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:09 am 

backrow wrote:

Mog I reckon I can smash you Bro so get a flight over from Sweden and we can have a pagga, and then go for a beer later because you will still be able to drink then even though your teeth are gone. :thumbup:

Your offer does not sound appealing apart from the beer.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:23 am 

Mog The Almighty wrote:
backrow wrote:

Your offer does not sound appealing apart from the beer.

wuss

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:41 am 

It took me a bit over 3 years to get my blue belt, then I was blue for about 2 years before I got a couple of stripes. Then unfortunately stopped after I busted my knee at a tournament. :((

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:45 am 

@backrow: there you go, take on MiB. He's got a blue belt, but also a busted knee.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:46 am 

Mog The Almighty wrote:
@backrow: there you go, take on MiB. He's got a blue belt, but also a busted knee.

Why aren't you asking your brother about BJJ?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:54 am 

Sandstorm wrote:
Mog The Almighty wrote:

Ask him what? I already knows he does it. I was asking if any other boardies do it.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:07 pm 

Mog The Almighty wrote:
Sandstorm wrote:
Mog The Almighty wrote:

Ask him what? I already knows he does it. I was asking if any other boardies do it.

I think somebody said it was your mum who was good at BJJ ?
maybe I misheard..

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:12 pm 

I'm waiting on Jeff the Bear's opinion how to really fudge up some random short guy in the street.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:27 pm 

I think this thread is missing a serious question. How many five year olds could you beat up with various martial arts?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:30 pm 

all of them.

Surely there's not a single five year old on the entire planet that I couldn't beat up.

Makes me wonder, given the entire population of the earth, what's the youngest person that you think could beat you up? My guess is that it would be some crazy over developed twelve year old man-child who is also a freak natural at some combat sport.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:35 pm 

Coog used to beat 5 year olds with his purple Nunchuck (alledgedly)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:37 pm 

Mog The Almighty wrote:
all of them.

Surely there's not a single five year old on the entire planet that I couldn't beat up.

Makes me wonder, given the entire population of the earth, what's the youngest person that you think could beat you up? My guess is that it would be some crazy over developed twelve year old man-child who is also a freak natural at some combat sport.

So if you had all the world's 5 year olds coming at you at once you could beat them all up? What martial arts would you use if you could use any of them?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:39 pm 

bessantj wrote:
Mog The Almighty wrote:
all of them.

So if you had all the world's 5 year olds coming at you at once you could beat them all up? What martial arts would you use if you could use any of them?

Lego

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:43 pm 

bessantj wrote:
Mog The Almighty wrote:
all of them.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:46 pm 

bessantj wrote:
Mog The Almighty wrote:
all of them.

No, I think they'd eventually overcome me with sheer numbers then. Given that they're mindless drones and don't all fall down crying once I pick up the first one and use it as a baseball bat against the next wave that come at me. I mean one-on-one.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:48 pm 

guy smiley wrote:
bessantj wrote:
Mog The Almighty wrote:
all of them.

Lego

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:52 pm 

backrow wrote:
bessantj wrote:
Mog The Almighty wrote:
all of them.

Oh now come on, a perfectly reasonable, nay important question has been asked and you respond with filth, this is a bigger problem than obesity. Having said that though, good choice of pic response.

Mog The Almighty wrote:
No, I think they'd eventually overcome me with sheer numbers then. Given that they're mindless drones and don't all fall down crying once I pick up the first one and use it as a baseball bat against the next wave that come at me. I mean one-on-one.

Then we need to find out how many 5 year olds you could beat off before you're overcome

There, try and make a joke of that post backrow. :x

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:07 pm 

backrow wrote:
Coog used to beat 5 year olds with his purple Nunchuck (alledgedly)

x(

That sounds pervy ...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:13 pm 

thread yeeb'd

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:41 pm 

bessantj wrote:
backrow wrote:
bessantj wrote:
Mog The Almighty wrote:
all of them.

Oh now come on, a perfectly reasonable, nay important question has been asked and you respond with filth, this is a bigger problem than obesity. Having said that though, good choice of pic response.

Mog The Almighty wrote:

Then we need to find out how many 5 year olds you could beat off before you're overcome

There, try and make a joke of that post backrow. :x

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QvffxxhoBIk

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:02 pm 

bashing 5 year olds aside ... back to fighting and avoiding them:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:56 am 

Mog The Almighty wrote:
bashing 5 year olds aside ... back to fighting and avoiding them:

These quotes which always involve a weapon , are nearly always posted by instructors who don't teach weapons......

Funny that :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:17 am 

Pretty sure its illegal to walk around with a samurai sword. Learning would be fun from a historical perspective but has virtually zero practical benefit. Unless maybe youre one of those dudes who dresses up as a knight and has a royal rumble with all the other medieval roleplay nerds. (which I would love to be part of one day. not the fighting, Id just watch and hit on the beer wench playing a lute on the sideline).

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:14 pm 

Mog The Almighty wrote:
Pretty sure its illegal to walk around with a samurai sword. Learning would be fun from a historical perspective but has virtually zero practical benefit. Unless maybe youre one of those dudes who dresses up as a knight and has a royal rumble with all the other medieval roleplay nerds. (which I would love to be part of one day. not the fighting, Id just watch and hit on the beer wench playing a lute on the sideline).

You have somewhat missed the point.

Weapons arts are not self defence. They are anachronisms.

If you want to learn how to fight, learn from a brawler

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 277 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next