Chat Forum
It is currently Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:46 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1195 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 30  Next

Who is going to win?
England 65%  65%  [ 61 ]
Wales 23%  23%  [ 22 ]
Gav 12%  12%  [ 11 ]
Total votes : 94
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:10 pm 

JM2K6 wrote:
I hope the match is better than the match thread.

I hope Wales get stuck in straight away, give England some room at the start and it's not going to be pretty. Could be a repeat of 2014.

Also be interesting to see how Cory Hill does, being as he was a doubt at one point.

Last edited by bessantj on Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:11 pm 

Mick Mannock wrote:
England usually win against Wales. Nearly three times as many wins to England since the game went pro.

This might be an outlier year though.

If you mention it again you might get a nibble :uhoh:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:24 pm 

Jeff the Bear wrote:
One of the interesting tactical battles for me will be to see whether England persist with their little 10/12 loop arounds. It worked very well against Italy, but Edwards' Welsh defence has largely been able to contain Sexton doing it for Ireland over the last few years...and so will England double bluff and not use it? Or do they back their skills to make it work against a far more aggressive defence?

Yeah - you'd expect, with two canny coaches, for them to have something a little different up their sleeve. You might see England using Simmonds and Teo more, to try and break the line, or act as dummy runners for the loops.

It's very tricky to know how well each side performed last week - how much of it was great play and how much was weak opposition. Clearly the Welsh defence was solid and the Scarlets backs worked well, but Scotland were very flaky- and England looked like they could score every time they attacked but conceded 2 tries (should have been 3).

I think England start as favourites - mostly because they are at home. And, having seen Wales play, they should have some idea what to expect. But, we took a long time to put Italy away - and Wales won't fold, in the last 10/1 mins, like Italy did. Hard to know quite what to expect.

I'm getting very nervous about this one - I can see a lot of pacing around, and hiding behind the sofa, in my future :?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:17 am 

ovalball wrote:

It's very tricky to know how well each side performed last week - how much of it was great play and how much was weak opposition. Clearly the Welsh defence was solid and the Scarlets backs worked well, but Scotland were very flaky- and England looked like they could score every time they attacked but conceded 2 tries (should have been 3).

That's a good point. From a Welsh point of view, I've been thinking that had we done this to Scotland two years ago (or even last year), no one would have batted an eyelid. So the question really is, how good/bad are Scotland?

Ultimately, we won't know until we're a fair way through this game.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:46 am 

ovalball wrote:
Jeff the Bear wrote:
One of the interesting tactical battles for me will be to see whether England persist with their little 10/12 loop arounds. It worked very well against Italy, but Edwards' Welsh defence has largely been able to contain Sexton doing it for Ireland over the last few years...and so will England double bluff and not use it? Or do they back their skills to make it work against a far more aggressive defence?

Yeah - you'd expect, with two canny coaches, for them to have something a little different up their sleeve. You might see England using Simmonds and Teo more, to try and break the line, or act as dummy runners for the loops.

I think England start as favourites - mostly because they are at home. And, having seen Wales play, they should have some idea what to expect. But, we took a long time to put Italy away - and Wales won't fold, in the last 10/1 mins, like Italy did. Hard to know quite what to expect.

I'm getting very nervous about this one - I can see a lot of pacing around, and hiding behind the sofa, in my future :?

I'm the calmest I've felt over a Wales England game in years. Having no expectation of winning is a real weight off the shoulders. If we win, great, and if we lose, oh well work in progress.

I feel like we're heading in the right direction regardless of what happens on Saturday.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:49 am 

New guy wrote:
ovalball wrote:
Jeff the Bear wrote:

I'm the calmest I've felt over a Wales England game in years. Having no expectation of winning is a real weight off the shoulders. If we win, great, and if we lose, oh well work in progress.

I feel like we're heading in the right direction regardless of what happens on Saturday.

Give it a couple of days............... ;)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:18 am 

ovalball wrote:
Jeff the Bear wrote:

Oh please don't turn into globus.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:29 am 

happyhooker wrote:
ovalball wrote:
Jeff the Bear wrote:

I was hiding behind the sofa (originally to watch Dr Who) long before Globus breached the birth canal.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:33 am 

ovalball wrote:
happyhooker wrote:
ovalball wrote:
Jeff the Bear wrote:

I was hiding behind the sofa (originally to watch Dr Who) long before Globus breached the birth canal.

Oh shut up, globus designed the birth canal

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:37 am 

ovalball wrote:
Frodder wrote:
ovalball wrote:
DragsterDriver wrote:
I won’t be making any excuses- with our money and playing numbers we should be able to field a scratch team That’s at least competitive :)

Quite.

Hepburn was, probably 6th choice loosehead, but still a fine player. Simmonds 4th choice 8, and is the mom. We may not have many world class players but we do have lots of depth.

I like Eddies’s approach to injuries, he just accepts them and doesn’t expect them to lower the team’s performance. Just gets on with it.

The mocker gods aren't falling for that shite. 2015 and 2017 you said the same thing and beat us at our place

I think your comprehension skills need a bit of a refresh.

ouch, you rotter you

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:45 am 

I thought Wales played well on Saturday, but I’m not reading too much into the result.

An intercept try and helpful ref’s decision at the scrum (after some good welsh play, granted) got us 14pts up very quickly. After that I’m afraid I thought that Scotland were just dreadful.

The game against England will be very different, to say the least.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:17 am 

I'm hoping if picked Teo is better for 60 mins against Italy and will be sharper and closer to full match fitness. I felt Italy got joy wide mostly down to this rather than defensive issues for England but Wales do have the outside backs and back row to cause trouble in this channel if something is amiss. I'd prefer Joseph to start tbh he tightened England up immediately although Italy's fitness dropping off could be a factor there as well.

I didn't see the Wales game on Saturday but the score was an eye-catcher although its always difficult to read much into form until the second round of games have been completed anyway. It could turn out to be an amazing result or Scotland could just be this years BBI (Bottom But Italy).

I hope England don't kick away too much good ball which I feel they do too much as a tactical choice and can be frustrating to watch. England simply cannot get away with giving Wales the same amount of possession they gifted Italy.

The England v Wales games are something else in terms of atmosphere and intensity and it is the one fixture I look forward to and dread in equal measure. I have a tiny amount of Welsh ancestry (so more than most of the Welsh team :P ) and like to see them do well but not at the weekend please. If you can lose to England and then beat Ireland that will be spiffing thanks.

England should start favourites if only down to home advantage but there is not much between the sides IMO and this has been borne out across recent results which have been decided by late scores either way.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:33 am 

blindcider wrote:
I'm hoping if picked Teo is better for 60 mins against Italy and will be sharper and closer to full match fitness. I felt Italy got joy wide mostly down to this rather than defensive issues for England but Wales do have the outside backs and back row to cause trouble in this channel if something is amiss. I'd prefer Joseph to start tbh he tightened England up immediately although Italy's fitness dropping off could be a factor there as well.

I didn't see the Wales game on Saturday but the score was an eye-catcher although its always difficult to read much into form until the second round of games have been completed anyway. It could turn out to be an amazing result or Scotland could just be this years BBI (Bottom But Italy).

I hope England don't kick away too much good ball which I feel they do too much as a tactical choice and can be frustrating to watch. England simply cannot get away with giving Wales the same amount of possession they gifted Italy.

The England v Wales games are something else in terms of atmosphere and intensity and it is the one fixture I look forward to and dread in equal measure. I have a tiny amount of Welsh ancestry (so more than most of the Welsh team :P ) and like to see them do well but not at the weekend please. If you can lose to England and then beat Ireland that will be spiffing thanks.

England should start favourites if only down to home advantage but there is not much between the sides IMO and this has been borne out across recent results which have been decided by late scores either way.

I fear you may be disappointed re kicking the ball away. Without BV to make hard yards, against a well formed defence, Eddie's plan will be kick for territory and then smother them with our defence. He won't want England playing higher risk, ball in hand, rugby well inside our own half. Eddie seems quite happy for England to play with less possession than the opposition and let them tire themselves out running at a wall of English defenders. We often make more territory when they have the ball than when we have it.

Came a cropper against Ireland last year though - as we saw against France, Ireland can be very good at maintaining possession for long periods, patiently working their way up field.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:34 am 

Just got tickets to this! :thumbup: :smug:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:37 am 

Additionally, the Welsh back row is better at ball snaffling and they have a strong midfield defence, England are going to be even less interested in playing from deep.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:37 am 

MaccTaff wrote:
I thought Wales played well on Saturday, but I’m not reading too much into the result.

An intercept try and helpful ref’s decision at the scrum (after some good welsh play, granted) got us 14pts up very quickly. After that I’m afraid I thought that Scotland were just dreadful.

From the start, the Welsh defence smothered the Scots. This was the basis for everything else.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:44 am 

terryfinch wrote:
MaccTaff wrote:

From the start, the Welsh defence smothered the Scots. This was the basis for everything else.

Yes I agree with that, the Scots didn’t handle it very well at all. I think England have a bit more up their sleeve and bit more in their armoury though.

If this was in Cardiff, I’d really be fancying our chances, but I think this is one game where home advantage will be key. Actually I think it will be close for an hour, but the final score line showing a comfortable England win.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:04 am 

MaccTaff wrote:
terryfinch wrote:
MaccTaff wrote:

Yes I agree with that, the Scots didn’t handle it very well at all. I think England have a bit more up their sleeve and bit more in their armoury though.

If this was in Cardiff, I’d really be fancying our chances, but I think this is one game where home advantage will be key. Actually I think it will be close for an hour, but the final score line showing a comfortable England win.

Agreed. What amazed me with the Scots is Wales kicked deep and in play all day. Then they ran back without much idea of what they were doing but.......kept on doing it with no variation. Plan A didn't work therefore revert to Plan A.

England will put the ball back to us, vary the approach and keep us under pressure throughout the game. I expect for us to be overwhelmed in the last 20mins with England's bench being all important. To have the choice between Teo or JJ is a great place to be.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:47 am 

Frodder wrote:
What amazed me with the Scots is Wales kicked deep and in play all day.

I have to admit that made me smile while watching the game. Gatland had clearly decided that Wales would just dare the Scots to run it from deep and right into a Welsh brick-wall. Other than a few early teething problems when Jonny Gray was allowed a canter unopposed it worked rather well. England have better tight carriers than Scotland and arguably a bit more pace. If the cleans are accurate we might be able to outflank Wales because we're looking very slick behind the ball but the Welsh backrow looked well up for it. After last weekend I imagine Eddie has a few more ideas up his sleeve with regards to San Simmonds who looks to be a point of difference for us. The key as always with Wales is can they play with confidence and throw it about a bit because when they do things get dicey for the opposition.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:18 pm 

I was just looking at the U20 team England have put out and noticed there were quite a few sons of players there - Cameron Redpath, Sam Moore, then went to check if James Grayson was the son of Paul...and bloody hell, after looking at the picture of him there was no doubt...

From the Andy Robinson school of clone-like sons.

One other note - Oghre is a great name for a front row forward.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:52 pm 

Where’s henry btw?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:59 pm 

MaccTaff wrote:
Where’s henry btw?

I think the weight of told you so's he expects, after his constant criticism of Shingler and Steff Evans, is keeping him at bay.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:21 pm 

penguin wrote:
MaccTaff wrote:
Where’s henry btw?

I think the weight of told you so's he expects, after his constant criticism of Shingler and Steff Evans, is keeping him at bay.

It didn’t stop him when he did the same regarding a young Liam Williams.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:23 pm 

I just like to think he’s died, or something.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:24 pm 

cubby boi wrote:
penguin wrote:
MaccTaff wrote:
Where’s henry btw?

So what was your old log in?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:25 pm 

cubby boi wrote:
I just like to think he’s died, or something.

The thread takes a, hopefully temporary, turn towards darkness :uhoh:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:32 pm 

Let's get C/Storm and Herb back. Also PT

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:33 pm 

I would love PT to come back.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:36 pm 

This really is anyone's game!

It honestly could go either way!

:thumbup: :thumbup:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:40 pm 

Sissyfuss wrote:
This really is anyone's game!

It honestly could go either way!

:thumbup: :thumbup:

How are the splinters after the fence sitting?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:41 pm 

MaccTaff wrote:
cubby boi wrote:
penguin wrote:
MaccTaff wrote:
Where’s henry btw?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:43 pm 

cubby boi wrote:
MaccTaff wrote:
cubby boi wrote:
penguin wrote:
MaccTaff wrote:
Where’s henry btw?

Ah - Ok! Yes remember the log in well.

How come you’re not still 2204?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:48 pm 

MaccTaff wrote:

Some lunatic gave the swarm modding responsibilities.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:08 pm 

MaccTaff wrote:
Where’s henry btw?

Last we heard he was laying a pony on a table in a Carmarthen pub.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:23 pm 

fatcat wrote:
MaccTaff wrote:
Where’s henry btw?

:lol:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:27 pm 

cubby boi wrote:
MaccTaff wrote:

Zappa and SASP. 2204 is back . Ban him immediately.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:32 pm 

fatcat wrote:
MaccTaff wrote:
Where’s henry btw?

The dirty mochyn.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:40 pm 

iarmhiman wrote:
cubby boi wrote:
MaccTaff wrote:

I’m sure I won’t survive past the Ireland Wales spite week, so don’t worry petal

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:43 pm 

cubby boi wrote:
iarmhiman wrote:
cubby boi wrote:
MaccTaff wrote:

I’m sure I won’t survive past the Ireland Wales spite week, so don’t worry petal

I won't

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:43 pm 

It's a game of chess apparently

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/42973389

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1195 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 30  Next