Chat Forum
It is currently Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:34 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1195 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30

Who is going to win?
England 65%  65%  [ 61 ]
Wales 23%  23%  [ 22 ]
Gav 12%  12%  [ 11 ]
Total votes : 94
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:50 pm 

ovalball wrote:
Gospel wrote:
Jake wrote:
For me Shingler was MoM- he was everywhere. But rarely do you get MoM on a losing side

He was arguably Wales best player but it was England's forwards that dominated for three quarters of the match. Launchbury was outstanding. England's inability to put Wales away had a lot to do with how Garces reffed the breakdown. He seemed to only want to penalise attackers going off their feet whilst allowing defenders free reign. Wales were under the pump for an hour yet conceded just two pens.

I thought Shingler had a superb game - close call between him, Launch, Farrell and Brown for MoM. Robshaw and Ford were also top drawer.

And Lawes. In fact, I thought he stepped up a gear yet again, although he's still not a flanker.

Big argument for the Happy Clapper to be the impact sub if they play Robbo at 6.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:52 pm 

ovalball wrote:
bessantj wrote:
Gospel wrote:
Jake wrote:
For me Shingler was MoM- he was everywhere. But rarely do you get MoM on a losing side

He was arguably Wales best player but it was England's forwards that dominated for three quarters of the match. Launchbury was outstanding. England's inability to put Wales away had a lot to do with how Garces reffed the breakdown. He seemed to only want to penalise attackers going off their feet whilst allowing defenders free reign. Wales were under the pump for an hour yet conceded just two pens.

Well cheating isn't in the Welsh blood, so it's not surprising they'd only give away two penalties.

One of your mates was telling us that it was because they were so clever, when infringing, that they weren't getting caught.

They defended their line well though, no argument there - and, if the ref lets it go, it isn't a penalty - so, whatever they were doing, they were getting it right.

Well I did say I'd like to think that Wales only got pinged twice because they were being sneaky about it but Garces being Garces seems a more likely explanation.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:17 pm 

Torquemada 1420 wrote:
Joost wrote:
Torquemada 1420 wrote:
Raggs wrote:
Let's simply say they scored the try (and they can have the conversion to, as way of an apology), and nothing else during the game was effected (very possible given scorelines and decisions afterwards), therefore from now on it will be referred to as a 12-10 victory for England.

7 + 6 = 10? :?

Wales’ first penalty came from advantage when the try was disallowed

My bad. I was thinking of the earlier one where advantage was called over!

Of course, at 12-10, Wales have the opportunity of a pen or drop to win it rather than being forced to go for the whitewash. Something that escaped French thinking last week.

lol give over Torq. England wouldn't have been able to have an attempt at a drop too? The better team won, just like the last 3 meetings. One of the officials got one of the decisions wrong, well it happens multiple times in every game, that's team sport.

Last edited by Rugby2023 on Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:23 pm 

Morgan14 wrote:
I continue to be seriously impressed by Farrell, thought he was the difference. Crucial tackles and more importantly turnovers on two Welsh breaks iirc - he may not have turned them both over but he slowed it down significantly allowing others to help; one for sure he turned it over by some wizardry (to be clear i wasn't aggrieved or thought he'd done something illegal, just a great play). Kicking was top class, and the kick for that nice first try in the 3rd minute was sublime in vision and execution. Nice tackle on Shingler I think too targeting the ball making him knock on. I think his (Farrell's) only blemish was a missed conversion that he normally would make in his sleep. But I thought he was enormous. Great Lion too.

Yep he was tremendous, saved England repeatedly, contribution for both tries, clear motm imo.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:56 pm 

Rugby2023 wrote:
Torquemada 1420 wrote:
Joost wrote:
Torquemada 1420 wrote:
Raggs wrote:
Let's simply say they scored the try (and they can have the conversion to, as way of an apology), and nothing else during the game was effected (very possible given scorelines and decisions afterwards), therefore from now on it will be referred to as a 12-10 victory for England.

7 + 6 = 10? :?

Wales’ first penalty came from advantage when the try was disallowed

My bad. I was thinking of the earlier one where advantage was called over!

Of course, at 12-10, Wales have the opportunity of a pen or drop to win it rather than being forced to go for the whitewash. Something that escaped French thinking last week.

lol give over Torq. England wouldn't have been able to have an attempt at a drop too? The better team won, just like the last 3 meetings. One of the officials got one of the decisions wrong, well it happens multiple times in every game, that's team sport.

:?: How many points did Eng score in the 2nd half?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:15 pm 

Torquemada 1420 wrote:

How many did they need to ?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:20 pm 

I have to say I have missed henry this week. I do hope he comes back posting soon.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:21 pm 

MaccTaff wrote:
I have to say I have missed henry this week. I do hope he comes back posting soon.

Isn't he using his Dai multi ?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:30 pm 

bimboman wrote:
MaccTaff wrote:

Which means he’s Keith too. Gosh this place is complicated.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:04 pm 

MaccTaff wrote:
bimboman wrote:
MaccTaff wrote:

Which means he’s Keith too. Gosh this place is complicated.

Nah, I'm Toga.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:25 pm 

ovalball wrote:
Torquemada 1420 wrote:

At least ten in the form of two tries would have been helpful, for the championship anyway.

That first try was a hell of a try though, really good work my Farrell and May.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:53 pm 

bessantj wrote:

Had May been running back to collect that ball near the England line it would have popped out like a greasy turd.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:41 pm 

bessantj wrote:
ovalball wrote:
Torquemada 1420 wrote:

At least ten in the form of two tries would have been helpful, for the championship anyway.

It would have been nice - but it became all about winning this match - England would have had to play differently had they been less than a score ahead for a longer period. But it's all guesswork - all we can say is that, in the end, they did what they needed to do.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:45 pm 

Glad the tmo got the correct decision about not awarding the try.

https://twitter.com/SJF_32/status/962644189170323456

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:47 pm 

Nabberuk wrote:

Are we being whooshed? Those hands belong to a midget woman

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:56 pm 

Mick Mannock wrote:
Nabberuk wrote:

Are we being whooshed? Those hands belong to a midget woman

Is Steff Evans not such a person?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:59 pm 

So, it was offside and a knock on - but the TMO ruled it out for neither. Good work :P

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:01 pm 

Glad we got the bonus point tbh.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:24 pm 

c69 wrote:
Glad we got the bonus point tbh.

It's an interesting subplot that hasn't really been mentioned much. We still need to beat Ireland away, and then England lose a game as well, but it could potentially be very important.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:33 pm 

Only the TMO and I called it right. I was obviously talking about the other fella . Not sure about the TMO but like me he called it right

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:52 pm 

Rugby2023 wrote:
Morgan14 wrote:
I continue to be seriously impressed by Farrell, thought he was the difference. Crucial tackles and more importantly turnovers on two Welsh breaks iirc - he may not have turned them both over but he slowed it down significantly allowing others to help; one for sure he turned it over by some wizardry (to be clear i wasn't aggrieved or thought he'd done something illegal, just a great play). Kicking was top class, and the kick for that nice first try in the 3rd minute was sublime in vision and execution. Nice tackle on Shingler I think too targeting the ball making him knock on. I think his (Farrell's) only blemish was a missed conversion that he normally would make in his sleep. But I thought he was enormous. Great Lion too.

Yep he was tremendous, saved England repeatedly, contribution for both tries, clear motm imo.

There are a whole bunch of players who I look at and think "this guy is a serious contender for Man of the Match" and then you look at Farrell and it's not even a debate. He was sensational. Career-best performance thus far. Eddie mentioned he's been working on getting quicker and it really showed. 2 clean breaks and 4 half breaks, making 30 metres, providing a real running threat which helped the players outside him get their hands on the ball a lot (JJ: 17 times, May: 18). Staunch defending regardless of his missed tackle count (which is often high without losing England the game).

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:28 pm 

Wales have scored fewer than 6 points in only one match in the last 10 years. Great defence England. :thumbup:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:31 pm 

fatcat wrote:
Wales have scored fewer than 6 points in only one match in the last 10 years. Great defence England. :thumbup:

That'll be that shit game Wales had against Ireland? Ireland won 27-3 or something like that?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:48 pm 

bessantj wrote:
fatcat wrote:

That'll be that shit game Wales had against Ireland? Ireland won 27-3 or something like that?

In Dublin? 4 years ago?

I went!

To celebrate my 40th birthday :x

My main memory, other than the utter kicking we got, is Mike Phillips (who was brill for us in his career) being a right twat that day.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:53 pm 

MaccTaff wrote:
bessantj wrote:
fatcat wrote:

In Dublin? 4 years ago?

I went!

To celebrate my 40th birthday :x

My main memory, other than the utter kicking we got, is Mike Phillips (who was brill for us in his career) being a right twat that day.

Yeah 4 or 5 years ago seems right, Wales were a right shower of shit that day.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:59 am 

By the time he retires Owen Farrell will be considered England's best ever player. And yes I have considered the competition.

What a game - everything England Wales should be. Need to be more clinical going forward.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:06 am 

croyals wrote:
By the time he retires Owen Farrell will be considered England's best ever player. And yes I have considered the competition.

What a game - everything England Wales should be. Need to be more clinical going forward.

Not if he doesn't win the world cup.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:17 am 

JM2K6 wrote:
croyals wrote:

He's got two more shots at that

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:20 am 

JM2K6 wrote:
croyals wrote:

And to do that, England will need to make it into the knockout rounds, so...

But seriously, I really don't get all the Farrell hype. Sure, he's a good solid player, but "England's best ever"? Leave it out.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:29 am 

SecretAgentMan wrote:
JM2K6 wrote:
croyals wrote:

But seriously, I really don't get all the Farrell hype. Sure, he's a good solid player, but "England's best ever"? Leave it out.

I didn't say he currently is. But he's 26 and a ferocious competitor, I'd expect him to still be starting for England for at least another 6 years or so and still in the squad for the best part of a decade. And he keeps winning us games and turning round situations. He's world class and he has a personality you need in every successful team. Watch this space.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:52 am 

croyals wrote:
SecretAgentMan wrote:
...I really don't get all the Farrell hype. Sure, he's a good solid player, but "England's best ever"? Leave it out.

I didn't say he currently is. But he's 26 and a ferocious competitor, I'd expect him to still be starting for England for at least another 6 years or so and still in the squad for the best part of a decade. And he keeps winning us games and turning round situations. He's world class and he has a personality you need in every successful team. Watch this space.

Can't see it happening tbh, but okay...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:46 am 

SecretAgentMan wrote:
JM2K6 wrote:
croyals wrote:

Not even close. As much as I respect and admire his great attitude, few players have the desire and ambition to improve as much as he has, he has always been a player a tad overrated by the hype of his young years that much of the rugby establishment never really got away from.

His place kicking can be deemed all time elite, but the fact we are only just speaking about how he only recently added a running game, at 26 years old and he still has passing flaws and high rates of missed tackles suggest otherwise. Imagine a New Zealander boasting about that? Other kiwis would mock them even the production line of 10's and centers they produce who can hit the line, pass or offload sublimely, don't lack pace and so on. Can we really say Farrell's attacking game is on the level of centres like Greenwood or Guscott? That as a player he is a game changer like Robinson? As irreplaceable as Richard Hill? Compared to other internationals can we even say place kicking aside he is close to the level as Beauden Barrett?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:44 am 

Perhaps inapt to compare Farrell to other international 10s, he’s now firmly a 12 and as such should be considered alongside other playmaking inside centres/second fives who are really converted 10s like Giteau, Beale etc

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:50 am 

naki wrote:
Perhaps inapt to compare Farrell to other international 10s, he’s now firmly a 12 and as such should be considered alongside other playmaking inside centres/second fives who are really converted 10s like Giteau, Beale etc

I think it is fair when considering the statement that he is or will be the best ever English player.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:47 pm 

eldanielfire wrote:
naki wrote:

I think it is fair when considering the statement that he is or will be the best ever English player.

Its a huge call, probably not one that can really be quantified given the difference in positions, but another 5 or 6 years of world class performance and he can be in the discussion.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1195 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30