Chat Forum
It is currently Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:42 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 262 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:04 pm 

Silvio Berlusconi wrote:
naki wrote:
My family and I experienced not a hint of racism in Ireland, despite my Mother being virtually the only dark skinned person we saw in the entire county of Cork while we were there. One of the friendliest and most genuinely welcoming places I’ve ever been to, which doesn’t explain the swarm cvnts on here

From Dublin

We experienced no issues in Dublin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:15 pm 

Mick Mannock wrote:
Silvio Berlusconi wrote:
naki wrote:
My family and I experienced not a hint of racism in Ireland, despite my Mother being virtually the only dark skinned person we saw in the entire county of Cork while we were there. One of the friendliest and most genuinely welcoming places I’ve ever been to, which doesn’t explain the swarm cvnts on here

From Dublin

Isn’t the idea of the Irish “swarm” as being boggie men outdated? 🤔
If not then who are the dastardly nasties within the swarm?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:16 pm 

YOYO wrote:
Mick Mannock wrote:
Silvio Berlusconi wrote:
naki wrote:

From Dublin

Isn’t the idea of the Irish “swarm” as being boggie men outdated? 🤔

Only by a week or two.... at most.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:31 pm 

Mullet 2 wrote:
100MileDad wrote:
Mullet 2 wrote:
Why'd you get the heave ho DAC?

Long story short; she got fat.

Give her my number will you

:lol:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:05 pm 

Mick Mannock wrote:
Silvio Berlusconi wrote:
naki wrote:

From Dublin

Bollox. We failed.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:49 am 

ZappaMan wrote:
naki wrote:

So rare to come across a nice post on PR :thumbup:

A pleasant one to report also. While we had no reason to expect otherwise before travelling there anyway, my Mum couldn’t stop raving about the Irish people after we left. Growing up as very much the “other” in rural England in the 50’s and 60’s she got used to a certain unease - they would have been one the only dark-skinned family in the entire area at one time, and while she never mentioned many instances of outright racism there were often obvious tensions. I would hope it’s quite different there now.

She felt none of that anywhere in Ireland. Maybe it’s different for Eastern Euro migrants, I wouldn’t know. African migrants, also. But I’m not articulate enough to properly describe the relief she felt at able to fully relax in that environment.

PS my skin tone lightened considerably over the years so I could pass as any run-of-the-mill Paddy while there. Not exotic enough to turn the head of any Colleen or Siobhan :((

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:05 pm 

naki wrote:
ZappaMan wrote:
naki wrote:

A pleasant one to report also. While we had no reason to expect otherwise before travelling there anyway, my Mum couldn’t stop raving about the Irish people after we left. Growing up as very much the “other” in rural England in the 50’s and 60’s she got used to a certain unease - they would have been one the only dark-skinned family in the entire area at one time, and while she never mentioned many instances of outright racism there were often obvious tensions. I would hope it’s quite different there now.

She felt none of that anywhere in Ireland. Maybe it’s different for Eastern Euro migrants, I wouldn’t know. African migrants, also. But I’m not articulate enough to properly describe the relief she felt at able to fully relax in that environment.

PS my skin tone lightened considerably over the years so I could pass as any run-of-the-mill Paddy while there. Not exotic enough to turn the head of any Colleen or Siobhan :((

I work in a multicultural environment and I’ve had that same kind of sentiment from other nationalities who live both in both the UK and Ireland. Felt more of an equal in Ireland as one put it.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:08 pm 

YOYO wrote:
naki wrote:
ZappaMan wrote:
naki wrote:

I work in a multicultural environment and I’ve had that same kind of sentiment from other nationalities who live both in both the UK and Ireland. Felt more of an equal in Ireland as one put it.

Again, can only speak of my own family’s experiences.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:19 pm 

naki wrote:
ZappaMan wrote:
naki wrote:

What's this all about then? Are you Sephardic?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:23 pm 

The funny thing is this article will have been read millions of times because of its multiple controversial statements, and some people will have read that part and just assumed it was true. :lol:

Last edited by Andalu on Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:28 pm 

Seneca of the Night wrote:
naki wrote:
ZappaMan wrote:
naki wrote:

Mother's father English Jew (ashkenazi), her mother Burmese-Portuguese (and also Ashkenazi in there). Her mother grew up in the subcontinent and was very dark skinned, my mum took after her.

So did I as a lad (mistaken for Maori most of the time) but bleached over the years

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:57 pm 

naki wrote:
naki wrote:
ZappaMan wrote:
naki wrote:

Mother's father English Jew (ashkenazi), her mother Burmese-Portuguese (and also Ashkenazi in there). Her mother grew up in the subcontinent and was very dark skinned, my mum took after her.

So did I as a lad (mistaken for Maori most of the time) but bleached over the years

Interesting. The subcontinetnt threw up a few curious groups.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anglo-Indian

The burghurs in Ceylon probably the most interesting of them all. A Sri Lankan friend of mine says they were known as the 'party people'.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:02 pm 

I lived with an Irish family for a year, some had been in uk 20+ years, and others fresh off the Ryanair .
They were all massively racist .

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:11 pm 

backrow wrote:
I lived with an Irish family for a year, some had been in uk 20+ years, and others fresh off the Ryanair .

Havin the craic

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:53 pm 

iarmhiman wrote:
backrow wrote:

Havin the craic

In fairness, a year living with Yeeb is bound to bring the worst out in anyone.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:43 pm 

Interesting. The subcontinetnt threw up a few curious groups.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anglo-Indian

The burghurs in Ceylon probably the most interesting of them all. A Sri Lankan friend of mine says they were known as the 'party people'.

Yeah, the Euros really put it about in the colonies and the humidity in places like Sri Lanka and Myanmar seemed to have driven the Northern colonists particularly troppo. We know little of the Portuguese strand, or much more of the Burmese either really as after my grandfather whisked my grandmother back to Kent following the war (he was a Major, her a nurse) she lost contact and didn’t speak much about her old life.

Anyway, Quincy’s Home Again is a dope album, underrated :thumbup:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:06 pm 

Quote:
Is Ireland a racist society? Many immigrants there believe so

Bridget Kelly of the Galway Traveller Movement said her community faced daily discrimination in the areas of accommodation, health, employment, and education.

“Being refused access to hotels and pubs, being unable to get a house when people find out you are a Traveller, you feel ashamed of who you are,” she told the hushed attendance.
https://www.irishcentral.com/culture/is ... believe-so

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:10 pm 

Anonymous. wrote:
Quote:

Bridget Kelly of the Galway Traveller Movement said her community faced daily discrimination in the areas of accommodation, health, employment, and education.

“Being refused access to hotels and pubs, being unable to get a house when people find out you are a Traveller, you feel ashamed of who you are,” she told the hushed attendance.

Travellers are Irish :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:14 pm 

Laurent wrote:
Anonymous. wrote:
Quote:

Travellers are Irish :lol:

Lenny Henry's English are you saying he can't be the target of racism ?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:22 pm 

maxbox wrote:
Tremendous energy in this thread! :thumbup:

That was a great episode.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:27 pm 

Whenever you meat a black person in Ireland /Wales /Scotland they come out with the same maxim, 'It's a lot less racist here than England'. Everyone knows where the home of racism is. The same country who were conquered by the French-Normans.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:30 pm 

rKihgars wrote:
Whenever you meat a black person in Ireland /Wales /Scotland they come out with the same maxim, 'It's a lot less racist here than England'. Everyone knows where the home of racism is. The same country who were conquered by the French-Normans.

You might want to read a history book. :uhoh:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 262 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7