Chat Forum
It is currently Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:42 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 262 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Author Message
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:04 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 23509
Silvio Berlusconi wrote:
naki wrote:
My family and I experienced not a hint of racism in Ireland, despite my Mother being virtually the only dark skinned person we saw in the entire county of Cork while we were there. One of the friendliest and most genuinely welcoming places I’ve ever been to, which doesn’t explain the swarm cvnts on here


From Dublin


We experienced no issues in Dublin


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:15 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:44 pm
Posts: 15370
Mick Mannock wrote:
Silvio Berlusconi wrote:
naki wrote:
My family and I experienced not a hint of racism in Ireland, despite my Mother being virtually the only dark skinned person we saw in the entire county of Cork while we were there. One of the friendliest and most genuinely welcoming places I’ve ever been to, which doesn’t explain the swarm cvnts on here


From Dublin


We experienced no issues in Dublin


Isn’t the idea of the Irish “swarm” as being boggie men outdated? 🤔
If not then who are the dastardly nasties within the swarm?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:16 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 6160
Location: LOL! WISDOM!
YOYO wrote:
Mick Mannock wrote:
Silvio Berlusconi wrote:
naki wrote:
My family and I experienced not a hint of racism in Ireland, despite my Mother being virtually the only dark skinned person we saw in the entire county of Cork while we were there. One of the friendliest and most genuinely welcoming places I’ve ever been to, which doesn’t explain the swarm cvnts on here


From Dublin


We experienced no issues in Dublin


Isn’t the idea of the Irish “swarm” as being boggie men outdated? 🤔


Only by a week or two.... at most.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:31 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 19639
Location: Wandering around Europe
Mullet 2 wrote:
100MileDad wrote:
Mullet 2 wrote:
Why'd you get the heave ho DAC?


Long story short; she got fat.



Give her my number will you

:lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:05 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 40816
Location: Dublin
Mick Mannock wrote:
Silvio Berlusconi wrote:
naki wrote:
My family and I experienced not a hint of racism in Ireland, despite my Mother being virtually the only dark skinned person we saw in the entire county of Cork while we were there. One of the friendliest and most genuinely welcoming places I’ve ever been to, which doesn’t explain the swarm cvnts on here


From Dublin


We experienced no issues in Dublin


Bollox. We failed.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:49 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 18204
ZappaMan wrote:
naki wrote:
My family and I experienced not a hint of racism in Ireland, despite my Mother being virtually the only dark skinned person we saw in the entire county of Cork while we were there. One of the friendliest and most genuinely welcoming places I’ve ever been to, which doesn’t explain the swarm cvnts on here

So rare to come across a nice post on PR :thumbup:


A pleasant one to report also. While we had no reason to expect otherwise before travelling there anyway, my Mum couldn’t stop raving about the Irish people after we left. Growing up as very much the “other” in rural England in the 50’s and 60’s she got used to a certain unease - they would have been one the only dark-skinned family in the entire area at one time, and while she never mentioned many instances of outright racism there were often obvious tensions. I would hope it’s quite different there now.

She felt none of that anywhere in Ireland. Maybe it’s different for Eastern Euro migrants, I wouldn’t know. African migrants, also. But I’m not articulate enough to properly describe the relief she felt at able to fully relax in that environment.

PS my skin tone lightened considerably over the years so I could pass as any run-of-the-mill Paddy while there. Not exotic enough to turn the head of any Colleen or Siobhan :((


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:05 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:44 pm
Posts: 15370
naki wrote:
ZappaMan wrote:
naki wrote:
My family and I experienced not a hint of racism in Ireland, despite my Mother being virtually the only dark skinned person we saw in the entire county of Cork while we were there. One of the friendliest and most genuinely welcoming places I’ve ever been to, which doesn’t explain the swarm cvnts on here

So rare to come across a nice post on PR :thumbup:


A pleasant one to report also. While we had no reason to expect otherwise before travelling there anyway, my Mum couldn’t stop raving about the Irish people after we left. Growing up as very much the “other” in rural England in the 50’s and 60’s she got used to a certain unease - they would have been one the only dark-skinned family in the entire area at one time, and while she never mentioned many instances of outright racism there were often obvious tensions. I would hope it’s quite different there now.

She felt none of that anywhere in Ireland. Maybe it’s different for Eastern Euro migrants, I wouldn’t know. African migrants, also. But I’m not articulate enough to properly describe the relief she felt at able to fully relax in that environment.

PS my skin tone lightened considerably over the years so I could pass as any run-of-the-mill Paddy while there. Not exotic enough to turn the head of any Colleen or Siobhan :((


I work in a multicultural environment and I’ve had that same kind of sentiment from other nationalities who live both in both the UK and Ireland. Felt more of an equal in Ireland as one put it.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:08 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 18204
YOYO wrote:
naki wrote:
ZappaMan wrote:
naki wrote:
My family and I experienced not a hint of racism in Ireland, despite my Mother being virtually the only dark skinned person we saw in the entire county of Cork while we were there. One of the friendliest and most genuinely welcoming places I’ve ever been to, which doesn’t explain the swarm cvnts on here

So rare to come across a nice post on PR :thumbup:


A pleasant one to report also. While we had no reason to expect otherwise before travelling there anyway, my Mum couldn’t stop raving about the Irish people after we left. Growing up as very much the “other” in rural England in the 50’s and 60’s she got used to a certain unease - they would have been one the only dark-skinned family in the entire area at one time, and while she never mentioned many instances of outright racism there were often obvious tensions. I would hope it’s quite different there now.

She felt none of that anywhere in Ireland. Maybe it’s different for Eastern Euro migrants, I wouldn’t know. African migrants, also. But I’m not articulate enough to properly describe the relief she felt at able to fully relax in that environment.

PS my skin tone lightened considerably over the years so I could pass as any run-of-the-mill Paddy while there. Not exotic enough to turn the head of any Colleen or Siobhan :((


I work in a multicultural environment and I’ve had that same kind of sentiment from other nationalities who live both in both the UK and Ireland. Felt more of an equal in Ireland as one put it.


Again, can only speak of my own family’s experiences.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:19 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 33773
naki wrote:
ZappaMan wrote:
naki wrote:
My family and I experienced not a hint of racism in Ireland, despite my Mother being virtually the only dark skinned person we saw in the entire county of Cork while we were there. One of the friendliest and most genuinely welcoming places I’ve ever been to, which doesn’t explain the swarm cvnts on here

So rare to come across a nice post on PR :thumbup:


A pleasant one to report also. While we had no reason to expect otherwise before travelling there anyway, my Mum couldn’t stop raving about the Irish people after we left. Growing up as very much the “other” in rural England in the 50’s and 60’s she got used to a certain unease - they would have been one the only dark-skinned family in the entire area at one time, and while she never mentioned many instances of outright racism there were often obvious tensions. I would hope it’s quite different there now.

She felt none of that anywhere in Ireland. Maybe it’s different for Eastern Euro migrants, I wouldn’t know. African migrants, also. But I’m not articulate enough to properly describe the relief she felt at able to fully relax in that environment.

PS my skin tone lightened considerably over the years so I could pass as any run-of-the-mill Paddy while there. Not exotic enough to turn the head of any Colleen or Siobhan :((


What's this all about then? Are you Sephardic?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:23 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:57 pm
Posts: 3138
The funny thing is this article will have been read millions of times because of its multiple controversial statements, and some people will have read that part and just assumed it was true. :lol:


Last edited by Andalu on Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:28 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 18204
Seneca of the Night wrote:
naki wrote:
ZappaMan wrote:
naki wrote:
My family and I experienced not a hint of racism in Ireland, despite my Mother being virtually the only dark skinned person we saw in the entire county of Cork while we were there. One of the friendliest and most genuinely welcoming places I’ve ever been to, which doesn’t explain the swarm cvnts on here

So rare to come across a nice post on PR :thumbup:


A pleasant one to report also. While we had no reason to expect otherwise before travelling there anyway, my Mum couldn’t stop raving about the Irish people after we left. Growing up as very much the “other” in rural England in the 50’s and 60’s she got used to a certain unease - they would have been one the only dark-skinned family in the entire area at one time, and while she never mentioned many instances of outright racism there were often obvious tensions. I would hope it’s quite different there now.

She felt none of that anywhere in Ireland. Maybe it’s different for Eastern Euro migrants, I wouldn’t know. African migrants, also. But I’m not articulate enough to properly describe the relief she felt at able to fully relax in that environment.

PS my skin tone lightened considerably over the years so I could pass as any run-of-the-mill Paddy while there. Not exotic enough to turn the head of any Colleen or Siobhan :((


What's this all about then? Are you Sephardic?


Mother's father English Jew (ashkenazi), her mother Burmese-Portuguese (and also Ashkenazi in there). Her mother grew up in the subcontinent and was very dark skinned, my mum took after her.

So did I as a lad (mistaken for Maori most of the time) but bleached over the years


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:57 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 33773
naki wrote:
Seneca of the Night wrote:
naki wrote:
ZappaMan wrote:
naki wrote:
My family and I experienced not a hint of racism in Ireland, despite my Mother being virtually the only dark skinned person we saw in the entire county of Cork while we were there. One of the friendliest and most genuinely welcoming places I’ve ever been to, which doesn’t explain the swarm cvnts on here

So rare to come across a nice post on PR :thumbup:


A pleasant one to report also. While we had no reason to expect otherwise before travelling there anyway, my Mum couldn’t stop raving about the Irish people after we left. Growing up as very much the “other” in rural England in the 50’s and 60’s she got used to a certain unease - they would have been one the only dark-skinned family in the entire area at one time, and while she never mentioned many instances of outright racism there were often obvious tensions. I would hope it’s quite different there now.

She felt none of that anywhere in Ireland. Maybe it’s different for Eastern Euro migrants, I wouldn’t know. African migrants, also. But I’m not articulate enough to properly describe the relief she felt at able to fully relax in that environment.

PS my skin tone lightened considerably over the years so I could pass as any run-of-the-mill Paddy while there. Not exotic enough to turn the head of any Colleen or Siobhan :((


What's this all about then? Are you Sephardic?


Mother's father English Jew (ashkenazi), her mother Burmese-Portuguese (and also Ashkenazi in there). Her mother grew up in the subcontinent and was very dark skinned, my mum took after her.

So did I as a lad (mistaken for Maori most of the time) but bleached over the years


Interesting. The subcontinetnt threw up a few curious groups.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anglo-Indian

The burghurs in Ceylon probably the most interesting of them all. A Sri Lankan friend of mine says they were known as the 'party people'.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:02 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 19693
I lived with an Irish family for a year, some had been in uk 20+ years, and others fresh off the Ryanair .
They were all massively racist .


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:11 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 40816
Location: Dublin
backrow wrote:
I lived with an Irish family for a year, some had been in uk 20+ years, and others fresh off the Ryanair .
They were all massively racist .


Havin the craic


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:53 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 6114
Location: Darkest deepest northwest
iarmhiman wrote:
backrow wrote:
I lived with an Irish family for a year, some had been in uk 20+ years, and others fresh off the Ryanair .
They were all massively racist .


Havin the craic


In fairness, a year living with Yeeb is bound to bring the worst out in anyone.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:43 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 18204
Seneca of the Night wrote:

Interesting. The subcontinetnt threw up a few curious groups.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anglo-Indian

The burghurs in Ceylon probably the most interesting of them all. A Sri Lankan friend of mine says they were known as the 'party people'.


Yeah, the Euros really put it about in the colonies and the humidity in places like Sri Lanka and Myanmar seemed to have driven the Northern colonists particularly troppo. We know little of the Portuguese strand, or much more of the Burmese either really as after my grandfather whisked my grandmother back to Kent following the war (he was a Major, her a nurse) she lost contact and didn’t speak much about her old life.

Anyway, Quincy’s Home Again is a dope album, underrated :thumbup:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:06 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:15 pm
Posts: 35117
Location: Planet Rock
Quote:
Is Ireland a racist society? Many immigrants there believe so

Bridget Kelly of the Galway Traveller Movement said her community faced daily discrimination in the areas of accommodation, health, employment, and education.

“Being refused access to hotels and pubs, being unable to get a house when people find out you are a Traveller, you feel ashamed of who you are,” she told the hushed attendance.
https://www.irishcentral.com/culture/is ... believe-so


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:10 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 20004
Location: balbriggan
Anonymous. wrote:
Quote:
Is Ireland a racist society? Many immigrants there believe so

Bridget Kelly of the Galway Traveller Movement said her community faced daily discrimination in the areas of accommodation, health, employment, and education.

“Being refused access to hotels and pubs, being unable to get a house when people find out you are a Traveller, you feel ashamed of who you are,” she told the hushed attendance.
https://www.irishcentral.com/culture/is ... believe-so

Travellers are Irish :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:14 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 52888
Laurent wrote:
Anonymous. wrote:
Quote:
Is Ireland a racist society? Many immigrants there believe so

Bridget Kelly of the Galway Traveller Movement said her community faced daily discrimination in the areas of accommodation, health, employment, and education.

“Being refused access to hotels and pubs, being unable to get a house when people find out you are a Traveller, you feel ashamed of who you are,” she told the hushed attendance.
https://www.irishcentral.com/culture/is ... believe-so

Travellers are Irish :lol:


Lenny Henry's English are you saying he can't be the target of racism ?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:22 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:55 am
Posts: 3851
Location: Newport, Gwent
maxbox wrote:
Tremendous energy in this thread! :thumbup:


Image


That was a great episode.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:27 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 32
Whenever you meat a black person in Ireland /Wales /Scotland they come out with the same maxim, 'It's a lot less racist here than England'. Everyone knows where the home of racism is. The same country who were conquered by the French-Normans.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:30 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:57 pm
Posts: 3138
rKihgars wrote:
Whenever you meat a black person in Ireland /Wales /Scotland they come out with the same maxim, 'It's a lot less racist here than England'. Everyone knows where the home of racism is. The same country who were conquered by the French-Normans.

You might want to read a history book. :uhoh:


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 262 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: booze, Boxcar Ira, Brazil, camroc1, clydecloggie, Conspicuous, Crazy Ed, danny_fitz, Doc Rob, duke, eldanielfire, etherman, Fangle, Farva, Google Adsense [Bot], Google [Bot], Leinsterman, Lenny, Margin_Walker, Nobleman, Plastic Sarrie, Plato'sCave, Short Man Syndrome, SilverGrin, sockwithaticket, St_Badger, sturginho, The Prophet Zarquon, Toulon's Not Toulouse, Turbogoat, Wilson's Toffee, Woddy and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group