Chat Forum
It is currently Mon May 28, 2018 2:38 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 247 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:29 pm 

Jilted John and John Shuttleworth are the same bloke!

125 – 5 = 5! (yeah, yeah – bindunneer, I know. Still class, though)

Half of the population of Tanna, one of the most populous of the islands of Vanuatu, are members of a Cargo Cult that worships the Duke of Edinburgh as a divine being

The French novelist that believed his most creative zone was after a furious frot-frenzy, but juuuust before le petit mort was Balzac (snigger - OK more childishly funny than mind blowing...)

Talking of wanking… the whole witches flying on broomsticks thing is believed to come from the practice of yer fabled medicine women applying their narcotic / hallucinogenic unguents directly to their vulvae with the most appropriate house-/hovel-/coven-hold tool to (gnarled) hand. Love this quote from Jordanes de Bergamo, writing in the 1400s:
The vulgar believe, and the witches confess, that on certain days or nights they anoint a staff and ride on it to the appointed place or anoint themselves under the arms and in other hairy places.

Talking of hallucinogens… seeds of several Morning Glory (the flower, yeeb!) varieties (in particular Heavenly Blue) contain Lysergic Acid Amide, closely related to the better known Lysergic Acid Diethylamide, and if prepared and ingested properly, and in sufficient quantities (100-200), will induce a trip that’s long on fun / freaky visuals, phenomenology and shit, but with very little of the whole ego-death / why-is-my-long-dead-grandmother-dressed-as Jeffery-Dahmer- and-why-is-she-pushing-pieces-of-Lego-under-three-of-my-foreskins?? thing

Talking of hideous cünts… I met my ex-wife through work, far away from where I grew up, and she had no (obvious) connection to my early years at all; however, her Mum was once my oldest schoolfriend’s Dad’s secretary (and got him fired for his wandering hands and generally creepy behaviour). Well, it fair blew my mind, anyroad…

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:29 pm 

'kin tech grrrrr

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:57 pm 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLaOeXCAPbU

Close the f**king thread now.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:37 pm 

Agatha Christie was a surfer and one of the first Britons to do so standing up.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:28 pm 

Gwenno wrote:
A5D5E5 wrote:
Gwenno wrote:
A5D5E5 wrote:
The universe is approximately 13.8 billion years old, but the diameter of the observable universe is about 93 billion light years.

To my simple mind that means 46.5 billion light years' expansion in 13.8 billion years. What am I missing?

The expansion of the universe.

But 46.5 billion light years in 13.8 billion years is over 3 light years per year - expansion at over 3 times the speed of light? The barrier that can't be broken? That's why I asked - what am I missing?

Things can't move through space faster than the speed of light. It doesn't apply to space itself. The video I linked a little earlier on the thread explains it pretty well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBr4GkRnY04

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:31 pm 

Santa wrote:
HurricaneWasp wrote:
guy smiley wrote:
koroke hangareka wrote:
What if you have two pizzas?

That's Venn, man. Totally Venn.

My form tutor in Year 7 - Mrs Venn - is John Venn's great grand-daughter.

I once had dinner with the master of Gonville and Caius college who had been Venn's student. He took me back to his rooms to see some original Venn diagrams. Fascinating stuff...

That's very cool. Gonville & Caius is definitely the best Cambridge college :thumbup:
I'm surprised no-one had thought of a Venn diagram before though...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:32 pm 

<Cough>

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:34 pm 

Is that meant to suggest that you invented the Venn diagram?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:35 pm 

globus wrote:
<Cough>

You didn't go.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:38 pm 

Still no explanation for the universe expanding at 3+ times the speed of light? Or was it many light years across when the big bang happened?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:40 pm 

slick wrote:
globus wrote:
<Cough>

You didn't go.

Not to that one.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:41 pm 

Gwenno wrote:
Still no explanation for the universe expanding at 3+ times the speed of light? Or was it many light years across when the big bang happened?

Einstein might challenge that.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:42 pm 

ManInTheBar wrote:
A5D5E5 wrote:

OK, that is very helpful, thank you.

I know this will sound like barrack-room physics, and I apologise in advance but....

It strikes me that this explanation is based upon a series of hypotheses which are internally consistent but have been created to explain observed phenomena that otherwise appear to contradict theory. At one point I felt that the script referenced the 'problematic' observations in order to demonstrate the truth of other assertions which were, themselves, created to explain the phenomena.

That made me feel as if a comparison with the development of Ptolemaic astronomy was coming on. Dark matter and energy feed into this also.

I'd prefer the unattainable, a set of hypotheses that did not claim to be wholly provable (Goedel) but that did provide explanatory power and enable new discoveries.

I know what you mean - when I was first taught about inflation, it all sounded like a theory to justify the observations. But it turns out that the expansion of the universe can be used to make all sorts of predictions including the ratio of Hydrogen and Helium in the universe and fluctuations in the temperature of the cosmic microwave background radiation that agree with incredible precision to the observed values. Even miniscule changes to the development of the universe throw these predictions way out.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:42 pm 

Gwenno wrote:

Yes, twice now - look a little higher up the thread.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:43 pm 

globus wrote:
Gwenno wrote:

No he wouldn't.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:45 pm 

A5D5E5 wrote:
Gwenno wrote:

Thanks - I was sneaking peaks at work before, I'll take my time now.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:59 pm 

A5D5E5 wrote:
globus wrote:
Gwenno wrote:

No he wouldn't.

It would blow a massive hole in his theory.

Cambridge cabal. I'll see if I can get SH about. He'll give you the low-down on the latest.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:00 pm 

globus wrote:
Gwenno wrote:

Why?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:00 pm 

slick wrote:
globus wrote:
Gwenno wrote:

Why?

Nothing is faster than the speed of light.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:01 pm 

globus wrote:
A5D5E5 wrote:
globus wrote:
Gwenno wrote:

No he wouldn't.

Cambridge cabal. I'll see if I can get SH about. He'll give you the low-down on the latest.

No it wouldn't. Before you embarrass yourself, read a couple of my posts higher up and watch the video I've linked.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:03 pm 

globus wrote:
slick wrote:
globus wrote:
Gwenno wrote:

Why?

sigh

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:07 pm 

Gwenno wrote:
A5D5E5 wrote:
Gwenno wrote:

Thanks, I've read the Wikipedia bit - so space can expand faster than the speed of light - who'd have thunk it? I accept that that is the explanation , not saying that I necessarily understand it. I'm tempted to ask how they know.? How do you measure space? Will the answer involve the word 'fabric'?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:07 pm 

I won't lie - my brain can't take in all that stuff about size of universe and time & distance. It just goes "yeah that's pretty big old and fast, look at some pron instead"

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:09 pm 

globus wrote:
slick wrote:
globus wrote:
Gwenno wrote:

Why?

In simple terms the universe does only expand at the speed of light, it just doesn't only expand from the edges but from across the whole universe. So while it is expanding at the speed of light at the edges, any point from which it is expanding from at that edge is also moving out (being pushed out by the bits expanding 'behind' it) giving the effect that the whole thing is expanding much faster than the speed of light.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:10 pm 

On more banal matters, via the QI twitter:

Isaac Newton and Edmund Halley once dissected a dolphin on the table of the Grecian coffee house in London.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:12 pm 

happyhooker wrote:

Isaac Newton and Edmund Halley once dissected a dolphin on the table of the Grecian coffee house in London.

Who hasn’t?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:13 pm 

MrJonno wrote:
globus wrote:
slick wrote:
globus wrote:
Gwenno wrote:

Why?

In simple terms the universe does only expand at the speed of light, it just doesn't only expand from the edges but from across the whole universe. So while it is expanding at the speed of light at the edges, any point from which it is expanding from at that edge is also moving out (being pushed out by the bits expanding 'behind' it) giving the effect that the whole thing is expanding much faster than the speed of light.

I understand that - not from a single point but from all points at the same time.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:15 pm 

Mahoney wrote:
happyhooker wrote:

Who hasn’t?

yeah exactly - I mean did they even bother to knock up a lift, a financial superannuity scheme or even a graphics card ? nope !
losers !!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:17 pm 

A5D5E5 wrote:
globus wrote:
A5D5E5 wrote:
globus wrote:
Gwenno wrote:

No he wouldn't.

No it wouldn't. Before you embarrass yourself, read a couple of my posts higher up and watch the video I've linked.

Can you re-post it? I've suffered enough white-outs today.

I have no idea what you mean by embarrasing myself.

Over what?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:18 pm 

There is a part of the Netherlands which is inside a part of Belgium which is inside part of the Netherlands.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:19 pm 

Mahoney wrote:
happyhooker wrote:

Who hasn’t?

I haven't lived 😢

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:27 pm 

Gwenno wrote:
Gwenno wrote:
A5D5E5 wrote:
Gwenno wrote:

Thanks, I've read the Wikipedia bit - so space can expand faster than the speed of light - who'd have thunk it? I accept that that is the explanation , not saying that I necessarily understand it. I'm tempted to ask how they know.? How do you measure space? Will the answer involve the word 'fabric'?

The video is probably a clearer explanation of the mechanics.

As for how they measure it, I'm not really that clued up, but I think they did it originally by looking at how quickly certain types of star was moving away from us at various distances (and note that aside from "local" gravitational affects, everything in the universe is moving away from everything else - which suggests expansion of rather than within the universe) and have subsequently corroborated and refined it by analysis of the Cosmic Microwave Background (Wilkinson Microwave Ansitropy Probe) but quite how is well beyond my pay grade.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:33 pm 

globus wrote:
A5D5E5 wrote:
globus wrote:
A5D5E5 wrote:
globus wrote:

No he wouldn't.

Can you re-post it? I've suffered enough white-outs today.

I have no idea what you mean by embarrasing myself.

Over what?

Third time's a charm (or in this context, possibly also an up, down, strange, bottom or top*)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBr4GkRnY04

I meant before you showed that you hadn't read the previous discussion which had covered when the speed of light as a speed limit applies and when it doesn't

* At one time I harboured an ambition to be the person who discovered the top quark. Sadly that ship (pun intended) sailed long ago.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:24 pm 

A5D5E5 wrote:
Gwenno wrote:
Gwenno wrote:
A5D5E5 wrote:
Gwenno wrote:

The video is probably a clearer explanation of the mechanics.

As for how they measure it, I'm not really that clued up, but I think they did it originally by looking at how quickly certain types of star was moving away from us at various distances (and note that aside from "local" gravitational affects, everything in the universe is moving away from everything else - which suggests expansion of rather than within the universe) and have subsequently corroborated and refined it by analysis of the Cosmic Microwave Background (Wilkinson Microwave Ansitropy Probe) but quite how is well beyond my pay grade.

The video is good. :thumbup:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:32 pm 

backrow wrote:
I won't lie - my brain can't take in all that stuff about size of universe and time & distance. It just goes "yeah that's pretty big old and fast, look at some pron instead"

I'm sure there is a black hole joke in here somewhere.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:38 pm 

Interesting. Good video. Not sure of the "Hubble Sphere" analysis and conclusion.

Having said that, I've tried to teach people about gravity. Lots of head scratching about that, mostly from myself.

If we accept that thing can go faster than the speed of light, it brings a load more of stuff into play.

Plus. The "universe" is a ruddy enormous thing.

I think I shall go out and mow the lawn.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:41 pm 

MrJonno wrote:
Mog The Almighty wrote:
MrJonno wrote:

I believe all humans sharing a common ancestor has been researched and verified (it might of course have been refuted since I studied it 6 years ago) but I know that it is a mathematical certainty that if any species survives long enough at some point all existing individuals will have a common ancestor.

Of course we all share a common ancestor. Eye colour is irrelevant. The alternative is that two or more groups of homo sapiens evolved totally independently all the way from "first life", but turned out genetically identical which seems so unlikely as to be practically impossible.

If it's a fact that all blue-eyed people share a common human ancestor, that would be remarkable.

All humans share a common human ancestor. You can choose not to believe that but that would just show your total lack of understanding of science

I seriously doubt that any of Globby's ancestors were common.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:45 pm 

englishchief wrote:
Every single blue eyed person today has one common ancestor.

There isn't a single adult alive today who was born in a country where homosexuals could marry.

10% of all data on the internet is porn.

Gravity travels at the speed of light.

There are more ways to arrange a standard pack of playing cards than there are atoms in the Milky Way.

Cleopatra lived closer to Neil Armstrong walking on the Moon than when the Great Pyramids were built.

So, about 10 grammes of porn

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:47 pm 

globus wrote:
Interesting. Good video. Not sure of the "Hubble Sphere" analysis and conclusion.

Having said that, I've tried to teach people about gravity. Lots of head scratching about that, mostly from myself.

If we accept that thing can go faster than the speed of light, it brings a load more of stuff into play.

Plus. The "universe" is a ruddy enormous thing.

I think I shall go out and mow the lawn.

At the risk of getting into a conversation I wished that I hadn't, did you know that a thought experiment about what people would see if a beam of light was shining into a falling lift* was one of the insights that led Einstein to conclude that gravity would bend light (in complete contradiction to Newton's formulation of gravity) and hence to the idea of gravity as the curvature of spacetime?

* Yes I know you did, that is why I mention it

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:53 pm 

Yer Man wrote:
MrJonno wrote:
Mog The Almighty wrote:
MrJonno wrote:

I believe all humans sharing a common ancestor has been researched and verified (it might of course have been refuted since I studied it 6 years ago) but I know that it is a mathematical certainty that if any species survives long enough at some point all existing individuals will have a common ancestor.

Of course we all share a common ancestor. Eye colour is irrelevant. The alternative is that two or more groups of homo sapiens evolved totally independently all the way from "first life", but turned out genetically identical which seems so unlikely as to be practically impossible.

If it's a fact that all blue-eyed people share a common human ancestor, that would be remarkable.

All humans share a common human ancestor. You can choose not to believe that but that would just show your total lack of understanding of science

I seriously doubt that any of Globby's ancestors were common.

I'll try and post my family tree, once it has been updated. No pirates, murderers, thieves or vagabonds so far.

Bit disappointing.

My cousin is digging around as I type, at the UEA and beyond. To be honest, I'm not that bothered.

My brother has unearthed (not literally) a tomb in the Newcastle area (his wife does tombs) which appears to have some relevance.

Might explain why he fled to Norfolk.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 247 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next