Chat Forum
It is currently Sat May 26, 2018 2:56 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 248 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:58 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 11702
Location: Indiana
Beaver_Shark wrote:
Flyin Ryan wrote:
Apolo Ohno on commentary as the U.S. were in 4th out of 4 with a gap during the men's team relay: "This is going to be very difficult for the American team if they do not speed up." Well, no shit.


I watched the relays the other day and I have never been so confused. :uhoh: :lol:


It's organized chaos. Once you understand how the teammate switch works it's easier to follow.

The Sun God wrote:
Flyin Ryan wrote:
As far as the Summer Games, I'm leading the campaign to get rid of modern pentathlon. If removed from the Olympics, the sport would completely die. Therefore, it should not be in the Olympics.


Why would you want that. It's been a part of the Summer games since 1912 and is very much still an amateur sport.


There are other sports that have far more participants than it not in the Olympics, the only way they stayed in the 2020 Games was the international modern pentathlon sanctioning body UIPM gave a sweetheart job to Juan Antonio Samaranch Jr. (so unstated corruption), and if we want to have a sport based on the required skills of an infantry soldier, it should be updated to the 21st century. The modern pentathlon was acknowledged as obsolete in the 1940s and the military pentathlon was then developed. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_pentathlon


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:17 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 19591
Flyin Ryan wrote:
danny_fitz wrote:
happyhooker wrote:
danny_fitz wrote:
There are so many shite sports at the winter olympics

Whereas the summer Olympics are all top quality events.

Walking ffs


And dressage. "Make your horse look pretty ensure it does not dump its breakfast on the floor"

As for the Winter Olympics, snowboarding can feck off back to the X Games.


Was watching halfpipe last night, and I just realized I'm done watching snowboarders do tricks.

As far as the Summer Games, I'm leading the campaign to get rid of modern pentathlon. If removed from the Olympics, the sport would completely die. Therefore, it should not be in the Olympics.

From what I've read, the IOC have told the IAAF to drop some events, and walking is probably on the chopping block then.


Actually there is an increase in events in Athletics with mixed relays entering the fray.

As it happens I'm in disagreement about your point on the Modern Pentathlon, there is a case if it won't exist without the Olympics that it should remain in the Olympics. I suspect a great many sports will be killed in some capacity if they don't remain in the Olympics. I suspect Modern Pentathlon would still take place, some people love it it just wouldn't be as big or it might not have international events. Like many sports.

The other case of the Modern Pentathlon is it's was the Olympic founders contribution to the Olympics. Part of the Olympic prestige is that romance of the Olympics and it's history which should be respected and is integral to why the Olympics are so important.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:29 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed May 30, 2012 5:46 am
Posts: 11992
Slovenia beat US in men's hockey. They are a pretty solid little sporting nation, good at basketball and sometimes decent at soccer from a population of like 2 mil.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:37 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 11702
Location: Indiana
eldanielfire wrote:
Flyin Ryan wrote:
danny_fitz wrote:
happyhooker wrote:
danny_fitz wrote:
There are so many shite sports at the winter olympics

Whereas the summer Olympics are all top quality events.

Walking ffs


And dressage. "Make your horse look pretty ensure it does not dump its breakfast on the floor"

As for the Winter Olympics, snowboarding can feck off back to the X Games.


Was watching halfpipe last night, and I just realized I'm done watching snowboarders do tricks.

As far as the Summer Games, I'm leading the campaign to get rid of modern pentathlon. If removed from the Olympics, the sport would completely die. Therefore, it should not be in the Olympics.

From what I've read, the IOC have told the IAAF to drop some events, and walking is probably on the chopping block then.


Actually there is an increase in events in Athletics with mixed relays entering the fray.

As it happens I'm in disagreement about your point on the Modern Pentathlon, there is a case if it won't exist without the Olympics that it should remain in the Olympics. I suspect a great many sports will be killed in some capacity if they don't remain in the Olympics. I suspect Modern Pentathlon would still take place, some people love it it just wouldn't be as big or it might not have international events. Like many sports.

The other case of the Modern Pentathlon is it's was the Olympic founders contribution to the Olympics. Part of the Olympic prestige is that romance of the Olympics and it's history which should be respected and is integral to why the Olympics are so important.


They initially got rid of wrestling, which has a multiple many times that of modern pentathlon when it comes to participants with the Olympics as their be all event, and the sport enjoys popularity all across the world with the exception of western Europe which is probably why they initially got rid of it because the Olympic movement may have prestige and romance, but the people in charge of it can be eurocentric and tone deaf.

There is a size limit to the Olympics. The bidding for the 2022 Games was a complete disaster, hosting the Summer Games in '04 in part wrecked Greece's finances, and we saw what it did with Brazil. If you want to bring something new in, something old has to leave or be downsized. When you do a quantitative analysis of modern pentathlon, other than it was invented by Pierre De Coubertin, it doesn't have much else going for it. Sports do die. We don't do all the sports now the Romans did.

Bowens wrote:
Slovenia beat US in men's hockey. They are a pretty solid little sporting nation, good at basketball and sometimes decent at soccer from a population of like 2 mil.


I kind of want the U.S. to get killed in this so the press massacre Gary Bettman.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:43 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 13775
Location: Best country in the world.
Flyin Ryan wrote:
Beaver_Shark wrote:
Flyin Ryan wrote:
Apolo Ohno on commentary as the U.S. were in 4th out of 4 with a gap during the men's team relay: "This is going to be very difficult for the American team if they do not speed up." Well, no shit.


I watched the relays the other day and I have never been so confused. :uhoh: :lol:


It's organized chaos. Once you understand how the teammate switch works it's easier to follow.

The Sun God wrote:
Flyin Ryan wrote:
As far as the Summer Games, I'm leading the campaign to get rid of modern pentathlon. If removed from the Olympics, the sport would completely die. Therefore, it should not be in the Olympics.


Why would you want that. It's been a part of the Summer games since 1912 and is very much still an amateur sport.


There are other sports that have far more participants than it not in the Olympics, the only way they stayed in the 2020 Games was the international modern pentathlon sanctioning body UIPM gave a sweetheart job to Juan Antonio Samaranch Jr. (so unstated corruption), and if we want to have a sport based on the required skills of an infantry soldier, it should be updated to the 21st century. The modern pentathlon was acknowledged as obsolete in the 1940s and the military pentathlon was then developed. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_pentathlon


I can think of many sports that are 'obsolete' ...... Not much cause to throw a javelin at the advancing barbarian hoards nowadays but it's still intrinsic to track and field. I am slightly biased toward MP as my own daughter has competed at international level in it before going on to specialize in show jumping but for a lot of kids in the UK,Ireland,USA and Australia ( via pony club ) it's a great introduction to the 5 disciplines that they might not ever try in isolation.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:04 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:47 pm
Posts: 923
Location: Expat - The Sandpit
Today's Australia Winter Olympics update :D

Aussie Jarryd Hughes won a silver medal in the snowboard cross final, an event that I had never seen or heard of before and looks a bit like the hunger games meets snowboarding :lol:

Alex Pullin, another Aussie in the final, stacked it hard midway through the race and did not finish.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:10 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:57 pm
Posts: 2844
Wallah wrote:
Today's Australia Winter Olympics update :D

Aussie Jarryd Hughes won a silver medal in the snowboard cross final, an event that I had never seen or heard of before and looks a bit like the hunger games meets snowboarding :lol:

Alex Pullin, another Aussie in the final, stacked it hard midway through the race and did not finish.

:thumbup:
The sunburned country currently beating Switzerland, Finland, China, the UK and Olympic Athletes from Russia.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:24 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 5083
Pardon my ignorance but when did spotty snowboarders doing tricks become part of the Olympics? What next, skateboarding in the summer Olympics :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:33 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 18153
Calculus wrote:
Pardon my ignorance but when did spotty snowboarders doing tricks become part of the Olympics? What next, skateboarding in the summer Olympics :lol:

You do know it's being introduced in 2020?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:33 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 13686
Location: XPAT CUNT
Calculus wrote:
Pardon my ignorance but when did spotty snowboarders doing tricks become part of the Olympics? What next, skateboarding in the summer Olympics :lol:


I'm actually quite looking forward to skateboarding in the 2020 olympics. If you're going to have judged sports, they might as well be radical, relitively free from corruption, and can stand on their own without the Olympics. :thumbup:

The biggest olympics farce is the u23 soccer tournament at the summer games.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:34 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 10730
Location: The Fountain of Running Rugby
https://www.npr.org/sections/thetorch/2018/02/14/585813472/this-fake-kim-jong-un-got-a-rather-icy-reception-from-north-korean-fans?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=npr&utm_term=nprnews&utm_content=20180215

Quote:
This Fake Kim Jong Un Got An Icy Reception From North Korean Cheerleaders


Image

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:22 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:47 pm
Posts: 923
Location: Expat - The Sandpit
Andalu wrote:
Wallah wrote:
Today's Australia Winter Olympics update :D

Aussie Jarryd Hughes won a silver medal in the snowboard cross final, an event that I had never seen or heard of before and looks a bit like the hunger games meets snowboarding :lol:

Alex Pullin, another Aussie in the final, stacked it hard midway through the race and did not finish.

:thumbup:
The sunburned country currently beating Switzerland, Finland, China, the UK and Olympic Athletes from Russia.


Cheers Andalu :thumbup:

But I reckon this will be as good as it gets for team Australia, unless someone channels and chucks a Bradbury of course :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:30 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:47 pm
Posts: 923
Location: Expat - The Sandpit
Zakar wrote:
Calculus wrote:
Pardon my ignorance but when did spotty snowboarders doing tricks become part of the Olympics? What next, skateboarding in the summer Olympics :lol:


I'm actually quite looking forward to skateboarding in the 2020 olympics. If you're going to have judged sports, they might as well be radical, relitively free from corruption, and can stand on their own without the Olympics. :thumbup:

The biggest olympics farce is the u23 soccer tournament at the summer games.


Yep I'm on the skateboarding at the Olympics band wagon too #choochoomf :D


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:44 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 11702
Location: Indiana
Zakar wrote:
The biggest olympics farce is the u23 soccer tournament at the summer games.


It's pretty much required because they need the money from the ticket sales.

Big Nipper wrote:
Quote:
This Fake Kim Jong Un Got An Icy Reception From North Korean Cheerleaders


Image


Two on the left: "We don't know what to do."
One on the right: "A-ha, I'll be disgusted with this! Then: promotion!"


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:02 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 19591
Incredible performance on the figure skating by the champion :thumbup:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:27 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:10 pm
Posts: 1647
Location: St. Louis
Bowens wrote:
Slovenia beat US in men's hockey. They are a pretty solid little sporting nation, good at basketball and sometimes decent at soccer from a population of like 2 mil.


Wiki says they do handball to a high level too.

The nations of the former Yugoslavia routinely punch above their weight; even in the most globally competitive sport you usually see at least two of them competing at the World Cup.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:33 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 19591
Elise Christie fall's again in the semi. Can't she get a break?

Terrible more BBC OVER DRAMA to come.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:40 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 19591
I also blame the BBC HYPE machine as well. They spent all morning stating "Will this be a historic day in British Winter Olympic history?" "Will be get the most medals ever?" kinds of comment. In a winter sports situation there are obviously no guarantees. The winter olympics really brings out the worst in the BBCs unlikable characterisations. Claire Balding smuggness, terrible attempts at humour and talking over and over while showing no sport. Smug declarations of success, obsession with what people tweet and so on.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:59 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 19591
Both UK girls still in the top 4 of Skeleton. Not exactly doing poor runs but not exactly taking full advantage to challenge for the gold.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:05 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat May 10, 2014 4:23 pm
Posts: 1487
eldanielfire wrote:
Elise Christie fall's again in the semi. Can't she get a break?

Terrible more BBC OVER DRAMA to come.


Poor Soul! Again! LOL


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:18 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 10603
Location: Bucks
eldanielfire wrote:
Elise Christie fall's again in the semi. Can't she get a break?

Terrible more BBC OVER DRAMA to come.

I haven't watched a speed skating event in my life that hasn't ended with the Brit falling over.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:21 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 24693
I couldn't get into speed skating - it's too random.

That South Korean lady smashed it though in the final - clearly had the gas over the others.

Otherwise it just seems a lottery of whether you get taken out or not (or get DQd).


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:23 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 24693
Quote:
Terrible more BBC OVER DRAMA to come.


Its certainly OTT.

I know they need to talk about something between events but listening to Balding she could be talking about a natural disaster or something.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:37 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 10617
eldanielfire wrote:
Incredible performance on the figure skating by the champion :thumbup:


Defnitely best routine, great music and choreography. I know techinically Chen was ahead on the free skate but the I thought the winners was better from a casual watchers perspective.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:23 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 10617
Time to turn on BBC 1


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:24 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 19591
Lizzy Yarnold pus in a big run to guarantee silver. Might need a big final run from the final to beta her to gold.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:26 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 19591
LIZZY YARNOLD WINS GOLD AGAIN! CLUTCH FINAL RUN! GOAT PERFORMANCE!

Laura Dees wins the bronze! She must have thought she was out of it. Gotta feel for the austrain who was in gold medal place and went 4th.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:30 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 19591
SamShark wrote:
Quote:
Terrible more BBC OVER DRAMA to come.


Its certainly OTT.

I know they need to talk about something between events but listening to Balding she could be talking about a natural disaster or something.


That's a good way of putting it. Annoying the BBC added a "Tweet your message of support for Elise" That is stuff is cringe worthy. It's like all the stuff 'The Dy to Day' exaggerated in the mid-90's as satire is poe faced presenting today


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:34 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 19591
Yarnold's final run was a track record. That really was a clutch performance at the end.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:39 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 19591
FFS! Claire Balding is talking all over the presentation on the podium.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:46 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 795
The BBC coverage has not been great in general. Balding is appalling (we put her on mute when we can see her lips move), plus trying to catch up on a sport you missed is really hard as on iplayer they have just called it day 6 and stuck 4 hours of live coverage together in one lump that is hard to trawl through. They didn't do this for the summer games.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:46 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 19591
pigsy wrote:
The BBC coverage has not been great in general. Balding is appalling (we put her on mute when we can see her lips move), plus trying to catch up on a sport you missed is really hard as on iplayer they have just called it day 6 and stuck 4 hours of live coverage together in one lump that is hard to trawl through. They didn't do this for the summer games.


Eurosport player is a good cheap alternative for wider coverage. Basically the old BBC red button in my eyes.

But I don winder does the BBC review itself ever? I mean the silly hyperbole, they mentioned literally every few minutes that "This could be Britain's greats ever day in Winter Olympic history". GB had to only beat 2 medals. Hardly historic as claimed. I mean is that really even something to compare with super Saturday? Most of the decent Olympic countries would probably laugh at that. Worth noting in the write up a something positive, but absolutely ridiculous to build the days coverage over and thta hype begun a few days ago.

Don't even get me started with the medal table obsession that has taken over the coverage and I always used to love looking at the table and examining the ups and downs and looking at the possibilities.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:51 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 19591
But on a positive Izzy Atkin's was pretty clutch to move from 4th to Bronze medal position. I know some people don't like the ski and snowboarders trick stuff at the olympics because it is all judged, but I think watching the Olympics without stuff like figure skating, snowboarding and ski trick stuff or the summer with out Gymnastics would make it vastly inferior entertainment. Sport isn't all about races and balls in nets. The athletes here are clearly some of the very best there are.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:39 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 10617
pigsy wrote:
The BBC coverage has not been great in general. Balding is appalling (we put her on mute when we can see her lips move), plus trying to catch up on a sport you missed is really hard as on iplayer they have just called it day 6 and stuck 4 hours of live coverage together in one lump that is hard to trawl through. They didn't do this for the summer games.


I've got eurosport app on my android telly. I didn't even bother with BBC their sports section is and has been for years an labyrinth mess. £30 a year.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:52 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:44 pm
Posts: 46220
Location: In the Centre/left wing
Eurosport is much better. Well done girls :thumbup:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:19 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 9991
Location: Mostly London........Mostly
pigsy wrote:
The BBC coverage has not been great in general. Balding is appalling (we put her on mute when we can see her lips move), plus trying to catch up on a sport you missed is really hard as on iplayer they have just called it day 6 and stuck 4 hours of live coverage together in one lump that is hard to trawl through. They didn't do this for the summer games.


The pundits have been pretty shite as well, slim Olympic champion Brit pickings I guess


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:22 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 6039
Stopped watching the women's curling with the British Women 4 - 2 up with three ends to go with the hammer in two of ends left. For a world class team, that is a winning position. How on earth did they lose the last three ends 5 - 0?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:50 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 19591
Edinburgh01 wrote:
Stopped watching the women's curling with the British Women 4 - 2 up with three ends to go with the hammer in two of ends left. For a world class team, that is a winning position. How on earth did they lose the last three ends 5 - 0?


Thry had a couple of big misses. I fear that these girl's put to much pressue on themselves to win the gold. No helped by what most winter olympians go through in tht they go from no attention at all to the main stream media taking an intense look at them for months prior to the games.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:53 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 19591
On the subject of the coverage, a real shame not much has been made of Marit Bjorgen equallying the winter olympic record and likely to beat it before the end of the championships/


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:27 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 675
Location: City Cow Titty, the kingdom
I am sure this must have been done on the board, but the snowboarder who won the womens super G today.. what a reaction, just could not believe it, apparently she was on borrowed skis. one of the moments the winter Olympics can still produce compared to the summer version.

https://www.eurosport.com/alpine-skiing ... ideo.shtml


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 248 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Adrianmole, Bing [Bot], dam0, Deadtigers, Google Adsense [Bot], guy smiley, Kiwias, Newsome, TheToddster and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group