Planet Rugby Forum
http://forum.planetrugby.com/

2018 Winter Olympics - Everybody Pyeongchang Tonight!
http://forum.planetrugby.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=83863
Page 1 of 6

Author:  Flyin Ryan [ Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:45 am ]
Post subject:  2018 Winter Olympics - Everybody Pyeongchang Tonight!

So NBC opens with LIVE~!~!~!~! coverage to satisfy 46 detractors of their previous coverage. Because you know everything awesome occurs at 10am.

We've got a completely artificial event called team figure skating on NBC, and practice for men's downhill and a China/Canada mixed doubles curling match on NBC Sports.

I'm so stoked.

Author:  Flyin Ryan [ Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:13 am ]
Post subject:  Re: 2018 Winter Olympics - Everybody Pyeongchang Tonight!

"Welcome to the Olympics. We open with figure skating, where everyone has fallen down."

Author:  canuckles [ Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:14 am ]
Post subject:  Re: 2018 Winter Olympics - Everybody Pyeongchang Tonight!

Flyin Ryan wrote:
So NBC opens with LIVE~!~!~!~! coverage to satisfy 46 detractors of their previous coverage. Because you know everything awesome occurs at 10am.

We've got a completely artificial event called team figure skating on NBC, and practice for men's downhill and a China/Canada mixed doubles curling match on NBC Sports.

I'm so stoked.


Curling rocks!

However, mixed doubles. :lol:

Up here its promoters are calling it the "Rugby 7s" of curling. :lol:

Author:  Flyin Ryan [ Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:19 am ]
Post subject:  Re: 2018 Winter Olympics - Everybody Pyeongchang Tonight!

canuckles wrote:
Flyin Ryan wrote:
So NBC opens with LIVE~!~!~!~! coverage to satisfy 46 detractors of their previous coverage. Because you know everything awesome occurs at 10am.

We've got a completely artificial event called team figure skating on NBC, and practice for men's downhill and a China/Canada mixed doubles curling match on NBC Sports.

I'm so stoked.


Curling rocks!

However, mixed doubles. :lol:

Up here its promoters are calling it the "Rugby 7s" of curling. :lol:


I like watching curling from time to time actually.

In general, no NHLers is such a letdown for me. Hockey is what I look forward to most in the Winter Olympics. Going to see Russia destroy everyone with a KHL side.

Author:  canuckles [ Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:25 am ]
Post subject:  Re: 2018 Winter Olympics - Everybody Pyeongchang Tonight!

Flyin Ryan wrote:
canuckles wrote:
Flyin Ryan wrote:
So NBC opens with LIVE~!~!~!~! coverage to satisfy 46 detractors of their previous coverage. Because you know everything awesome occurs at 10am.

We've got a completely artificial event called team figure skating on NBC, and practice for men's downhill and a China/Canada mixed doubles curling match on NBC Sports.

I'm so stoked.


Curling rocks!

However, mixed doubles. :lol:

Up here its promoters are calling it the "Rugby 7s" of curling. :lol:


I like watching curling from time to time actually.


It is even better playing the game. Up here it is the epitome of a social and a community sport.

What is with all of these splinter sports? And the way their promoters push them!

Author:  Flyin Ryan [ Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:28 am ]
Post subject:  Re: 2018 Winter Olympics - Everybody Pyeongchang Tonight!

Answer this, why do we have women's curling and men's curling? Since a woman ought to be able to curl as well as a man, shouldn't there be one coed curling event? It seems like nothing more than medal inflation by encouraging sex segregation when it's not necessary.

Other Olympic events that should be coed/no separate men's or women's competitions: archery, shooting, sailing, and I think in ski jumping women are not at a physical disadvantage compared to men. Equestrian already is coed.

Quote:
What is with all of these splinter sports? And the way their promoters push them!


FIBA has gotten 3-on-3 basketball added to the Summer Olympic schedule. x(

Author:  canuckles [ Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:32 am ]
Post subject:  Re: 2018 Winter Olympics - Everybody Pyeongchang Tonight!

Flyin Ryan wrote:
Answer this? Why do we have women's curling and men's curling? Since a woman ought to be able to curl as well as a man, shouldn't there be one coed curling event? It seems like nothing more than medal inflation by encouraging sex segregation when it's not necessary.

Other Olympic events that should be coed/no separate men's or women's competitions: archery, shooting, sailing, and I think in ski jumping women are not at a physical disadvantage compared to men. Equestrian already is coed.

Quote:
What is with all of these splinter sports? And the way their promoters push them!


FIBA has gotten 3-on-3 basketball added to the Summer Olympic schedule. x(


I have no idea. Just tradition, I guess. I know it is not much of an answer.

What next - 3-on-3 hockey? Some guys in Ontario are trying to push it.

Author:  Nieghorn [ Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:28 am ]
Post subject:  Re: 2018 Winter Olympics - Everybody Pyeongchang Tonight!

canuckles wrote:
Flyin Ryan wrote:
Answer this? Why do we have women's curling and men's curling? Since a woman ought to be able to curl as well as a man, shouldn't there be one coed curling event? It seems like nothing more than medal inflation by encouraging sex segregation when it's not necessary.

Other Olympic events that should be coed/no separate men's or women's competitions: archery, shooting, sailing, and I think in ski jumping women are not at a physical disadvantage compared to men. Equestrian already is coed.

Quote:
What is with all of these splinter sports? And the way their promoters push them!


FIBA has gotten 3-on-3 basketball added to the Summer Olympic schedule. x(


I have no idea. Just tradition, I guess. I know it is not much of an answer.

What next - 3-on-3 hockey? Some guys in Ontario are trying to push it.



Money's the answer to those questions, innit? More viewers, more sponsorship, like when they started adding all the X-Games shit.

Having just looked into curling, its first appearance in 1924 only featured three men's teams that had a round-robin with each other (UK, SWE, FRA). :lol: I hadn't realised that it didn't make an official Olympic comeback until 1998. I wonder if it wasn't part of the program because so few nations were actually interested in it?

Author:  Nieghorn [ Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:33 am ]
Post subject:  Re: 2018 Winter Olympics - Everybody Pyeongchang Tonight!

Flyin Ryan wrote:
So NBC opens with LIVE~!~!~!~! coverage to satisfy 46 detractors of their previous coverage. Because you know everything awesome occurs at 10am.

We've got a completely artificial event called team figure skating on NBC.


You've basically pointed out that nothing has changed for NBC, though. Live coverage only because it's during the daytime, and not even afternoon time when they'd be interrupting soaps and Ellen, but those segmented morning chat shows where they have no-name guests, cooking, fashion, etc.

BUT, they will always be sure to show you ever nanosecond of the figure skating. :roll:

Author:  grievous [ Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:13 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: 2018 Winter Olympics - Everybody Pyeongchang Tonight!

Opening ceremony like a K pop concert. Love these one competitor countries with 3-4 junket officials in tow. It must ridiculously beef up games hosting budgets just for some crusty to drink snapps with some other old fogeys

Author:  eldanielfire [ Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:18 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: 2018 Winter Olympics - Everybody Pyeongchang Tonight!

The Olympics reminds me why the BBC is so bloody brilliant! :thumbup:

Author:  Lobby [ Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:32 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: 2018 Winter Olympics - Everybody Pyeongchang Tonight!

eldanielfire wrote:
The Olympics reminds me why the BBC is so bloody brilliant! :thumbup:


Hopefully this time they'll show some of the games, rather than endless discussions with Clare Balding about the British athletes' medal chances and what's coming up later

Author:  Gazzamonster [ Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:48 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: 2018 Winter Olympics - Everybody Pyeongchang Tonight!

Nutter!! :lol:

Image

Author:  Akkerman [ Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:55 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: 2018 Winter Olympics - Everybody Pyeongchang Tonight!

awesome ceremony :thumbup:
move over danny boyle

Author:  CrazyIslander [ Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:24 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: 2018 Winter Olympics - Everybody Pyeongchang Tonight!

Gazzamonster wrote:
Nutter!! :lol:

Image

He did the same thing at Rio :lol:

Author:  ScarfaceClaw [ Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:24 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: 2018 Winter Olympics - Everybody Pyeongchang Tonight!

Lobby wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:
The Olympics reminds me why the BBC is so bloody brilliant! :thumbup:


Hopefully this time they'll show some of the games, rather than endless discussions with Clare Balding about the British athletes' medal chances and what's coming up later

What tended to be coming up later was highlights of Clare Balding discussing Britain’s medal chances.

Author:  Rowdy [ Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:45 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: 2018 Winter Olympics - Everybody Pyeongchang Tonight!

I'm looking forward to the bit where all the speed skaters, except the one stone last, fall over.

Author:  fonzeee [ Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:17 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: 2018 Winter Olympics - Everybody Pyeongchang Tonight!

Normally don’t mind some Olympics but this year’s games have pushed the Six Nations off NBC Sports for the next few weeks :x

Quote:
In general, no NHLers is such a letdown for me. Hockey is what I look forward to most in the Winter Olympics.


So much this. Although to be fair it’s not like the massive ratings for the 2010 final translated into any sort of increased interest in the NHL, so I can kind of see the reasoning. That’s a sport that has reached its ceiling.

I’ve really tried to get into the Blues a few times but just couldn’t stay with it. Olympic hockey was the tits though.

Author:  backrow [ Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:24 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: 2018 Winter Olympics - Everybody Pyeongchang Tonight!

Two girls, one curl

Author:  jimmy speights [ Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:48 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: 2018 Winter Olympics - Everybody Pyeongchang Tonight!

CrazyIslander wrote:
Gazzamonster wrote:
Nutter!! :lol:

Image

He did the same thing at Rio :lol:


It was a bit warmer than - 2 to - 5 degrees in Rio! Loose unit, but I guess you take any opportunity you can when you’ve got a rig like that!

Author:  happyhooker [ Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:08 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: 2018 Winter Olympics - Everybody Pyeongchang Tonight!

jimmy speights wrote:
CrazyIslander wrote:
Gazzamonster wrote:
Nutter!! :lol:

Image

He did the same thing at Rio :lol:


It was a bit warmer than - 2 to - 5 degrees in Rio! Loose unit, but I guess you take any opportunity you can when you’ve got a rig like that!

My friend who is of a certain persuasion has tweeted/mentioned him about 50 times today alone and has dug out all his old posts about him from Rio!

He's quite taken with him

Author:  backrow [ Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:14 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: 2018 Winter Olympics - Everybody Pyeongchang Tonight!

Doh - first looked at that pic and thought “funny looking Swiss chap”

Tbf I’m looking after the kids whilst they watching angry birds film (again) and it’s melting my brain

Author:  Auckman [ Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:01 am ]
Post subject:  Re: 2018 Winter Olympics - Everybody Pyeongchang Tonight!

Estonian flagbearer - :nod: :thumbup:


Since the Koreans had 1200 drones lighting up the sky, I reckon Tokyo is going to come out with 5,000 robots flying to the moon in 2020.

Author:  Nieghorn [ Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:11 am ]
Post subject:  Re: 2018 Winter Olympics - Everybody Pyeongchang Tonight!

C'mon, Auckman ... rules, mate.

Image

Image

Author:  Auckman [ Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:44 am ]
Post subject:  Re: 2018 Winter Olympics - Everybody Pyeongchang Tonight!

Google is our friend.

Saskia Alusalu

Author:  Murdoch [ Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:46 am ]
Post subject:  Re: 2018 Winter Olympics - Everybody Pyeongchang Tonight!

Auckman wrote:
Google is our friend.

Saskia Alusalu


jesus f**king christ

*books flights to Tallinn*

Author:  moosehead [ Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:56 am ]
Post subject:  Re: 2018 Winter Olympics - Everybody Pyeongchang Tonight!

First gold...

In head shaped like a snow ball competition....



Winner.... Gold


Image

Author:  WoodlandsRFC [ Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:23 am ]
Post subject:  Re: 2018 Winter Olympics - Everybody Pyeongchang Tonight!

Murdoch wrote:
Auckman wrote:
Google is our friend.

Saskia Alusalu


jesus f**king christ

*books flights to Tallinn*

Great call, Estonians would be among the most beautiful women in the world.

Author:  DOB [ Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:32 am ]
Post subject:  Re: 2018 Winter Olympics - Everybody Pyeongchang Tonight!

eldanielfire wrote:
The Olympics on NBC reminds me why the BBC is so bloody brilliant! :thumbup:


Fixed.


God I hate how shit the Yanks are at Olympic coverage.

Author:  eldanielfire [ Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:11 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: 2018 Winter Olympics - Everybody Pyeongchang Tonight!

Nieghorn wrote:
C'mon, Auckman ... rules, mate.

Image

Image


I'm in love with the Estonian already!

Author:  goeagles [ Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:24 am ]
Post subject:  Re: 2018 Winter Olympics - Everybody Pyeongchang Tonight!

NBC's coverage is such garbage in 2018. They have 6 channels to show various events on (NBC, NBCSN, CNBC, MSNBC, USA and Olympic Channel) and they have like 2 channels actually showing anything despite there being a ton of events on. They also seemingly have no online content that isn't just a stream of one of the above channels. Terrible.

Author:  Auckman [ Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:46 am ]
Post subject:  Re: 2018 Winter Olympics - Everybody Pyeongchang Tonight!

goeagles wrote:
NBC's coverage is such garbage in 2018. They have 6 channels to show various events on (NBC, NBCSN, CNBC, MSNBC, USA and Olympic Channel) and they have like 2 channels actually showing anything despite there being a ton of events on. They also seemingly have no online content that isn't just a stream of one of the above channels. Terrible.


I watched the American 17yo win the slopestyle today. It royally stuffed up the Kiwi's chances in the process but it seemed like a sea of Canadians and Europeans in this event so pretty nice of the young fella to win it.

Author:  JB1981 [ Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:14 am ]
Post subject:  Re: 2018 Winter Olympics - Everybody Pyeongchang Tonight!

That American nailed it when it counted and the pressure then got to our guy. Fourth is a terrible position.

Author:  grievous [ Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:03 am ]
Post subject:  Re: 2018 Winter Olympics - Everybody Pyeongchang Tonight!

Impressed with the Kiwi 4th in long track skating, really hard to break that far up with the European domination or Dutch really. Even the Yanks cant feature in this event anymore.

Author:  Andalu [ Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:47 am ]
Post subject:  Re: 2018 Winter Olympics - Everybody Pyeongchang Tonight!

The Winter Olympics seem to have 100th of the global appeal of the actual Olympics, and that's pretty much how I feel too. :yawn:

Author:  redderneck [ Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:58 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: 2018 Winter Olympics - Everybody Pyeongchang Tonight!

eldanielfire wrote:
Nieghorn wrote:
C'mon, Auckman ... rules, mate.

Image

Image


I'm in love with the Estonian already!


She doesn't need skates.

She could make it around just fine on her cheekbones.

Stunner.

Author:  Flyin Ryan [ Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:28 am ]
Post subject:  Re: 2018 Winter Olympics - Everybody Pyeongchang Tonight!

Random thoughts from the weekend:

-the U.S. just now won their first-ever medal in men's luge? nice and all, but what took so long?
-U.S. one-sided dominate a game vs. Finland in women's ice hockey but only win 3-1 after the Finnish goalie stands on her head; the Finns are the 3rd-best team in the competition most likely, and all this demonstrates everything wrong with women's ice hockey, there's only 2 teams
-I have as much contempt of figure skating as the next guy, but the Russian female figure skater in the team competition Zagitova, her performance was beautiful

grievous wrote:
Impressed with the Kiwi 4th in long track skating, really hard to break that far up with the European domination or Dutch really. Even the Yanks cant feature in this event anymore.


There's a black guy (Shani Baker maybe?) that's pretty good at the shorter distances. He lost being flag bearer in the Opening Ceremony in a coin flip (vote was a tie between him and who was the flag bearer), and that pissed some people off.

goeagles wrote:
NBC's coverage is such garbage in 2018. They have 6 channels to show various events on (NBC, NBCSN, CNBC, MSNBC, USA and Olympic Channel) and they have like 2 channels actually showing anything despite there being a ton of events on. They also seemingly have no online content that isn't just a stream of one of the above channels. Terrible.


But you got your f**king live live live live LIVE~!~!~!~!~! coverage that you've been clamoring for. Live at 3 in the morning goeagles, are you not entertained? Hey, this is Olympics #1 of a 3-Olympic cycle with a 10-to-13-hour time difference for NBC to go through. They're not even going to get back to European-level time differences until 2024.

(Seriously people, DVRing and then watching this stuff is so much better. You can fast forward through all the sappy bullshit.)

NBC are never going to treat this as a pure sports event. And they've broadcast every single Olympics consecutively beginning with the 2000 Games, so you have an entire generation of people watching that this is all they know.

I think the alpine skiing events getting heavily delayed is throwing their plans for a loop.

Author:  Pat the Ex Mat [ Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:37 am ]
Post subject:  Re: 2018 Winter Olympics - Everybody Pyeongchang Tonight!

Channel 7 Coverage in Oz is dire - 1 channel.

Author:  Flyin Ryan [ Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:47 am ]
Post subject:  Re: 2018 Winter Olympics - Everybody Pyeongchang Tonight!

Didn't watch it, but I guess the women's slopestyle was a disaster of epic proportions due to the winds?

Author:  jambanja [ Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:26 am ]
Post subject:  Re: 2018 Winter Olympics - Everybody Pyeongchang Tonight!

Flyin Ryan wrote:
Didn't watch it, but I guess the women's slopestyle was a disaster of epic proportions due to the winds?

It was a bit shit to be fair

Page 1 of 6 All times are UTC [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/