Chat Forum
It is currently Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:27 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Here come the YANKS
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:14 am 

Here come the YANKS

Major League Rugby (MLR) Announces Television Deal with CBS Sports

Major League Rugby (MLR) and CBS Sports Network today announced an exclusive, multi-year television partnership. CBS Sports Network will televise the inaugural season of the new start-up league beginning in April, 2018, marking the first national television partnership in the history of American professional rugby.

CBS Sports Network will televise a 13-game package with 10 weeks of regular season coverage – highlighted by a Major League Rugby Game of the Week – and two weeks of postseason coverage in 2018, including the semifinals and the first MLR Championship Game.

“We look forward to being the television home of Major League Rugby,” said Dan Weinberg, Executive Vice President of Programming, CBS Sports. “MLR will showcase the speed, power and agility of this exciting sport and we are excited for the launch in April.”

“Partnering with CBS Sports Network is a great step for Major League Rugby and for the sport of rugby in America,” said Major League Rugby Commissioner, Dean Howes. “There is no question that rugby is growing fast in the U.S. market. A successful professional league is a critical component of that growth. Television partnerships are incredibly important to any professional league, and we are excited to chart a path to success together with CBS Sports Network.”

Major League Rugby will launch with seven teams in Austin, Houston, Glendale (Colorado), New Orleans, San Diego, Seattle and Salt Lake City (Utah). Each is a key rugby market with a long history of support for the game. The members have strong, local and civic-minded ownership groups with deep ties to their communities and have established grass roots programs, venues in place or in development, and a player pool featuring the best players in North America, reinforced by up to five international signings in the 15-player, Rugby Union format. CBS Sports Network, the 24-hour home of CBS Sports, is widely available through all major cable, satellite and telco distributors as well as via OTT streaming service providers YouTube TV, fuboTV, PlayStation Vue, DirecTV and Hulu. Additionally, a live CBS Sports Network stream is available through CBSSports.com and the CBS Sports App by authenticating with select providers. For more information, including a full programming schedule, go to www.cbssportsnetwork.com.

About MLR

MLR is a professional rugby league that will launch in April of 2018. It’s an initiative of the American rugby community, in partnership with private investors, who believe that American rugby can thrive at the highest levels: as a commercial enterprise; as an influential player on the international scene; and as a participation sport at the youth and senior level. MLR will be the pinnacle of American rugby, and provide a rallying point for local communities, a focal point for American rugby fans, and an aspirational destination for young athletes.

http://www.bcrugbynews.com/show_news.cfm?ID=2500

Post subject: Re: Here come the YANKS
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:36 am 

Two years. Here. First.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:51 am 

Is this one for real this time?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:11 am 

grievous wrote:

Short answer is yes. Teams had to pay a bond to enter which was $2m a piece. Have to prove they have the financial to run it for 3-5 years as well as develop their own stadia with a minimum 4-5k capacity in the first 3 seasons.

All teams confirmed for 2018 have met those requirements with a couple more by 2019.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:20 am 

Working Class Rugger wrote:
grievous wrote:

Short answer is yes. Teams had to pay a bond to enter which was $2m a piece. Have to prove they have the financial to run it for 3-5 years as well as develop their own stadia with a minimum 4-5k capacity in the first 3 seasons.

All teams confirmed for 2018 have met those requirements with a couple more by 2019.

Hopefully Vancouver and Toronto next..... for 2019.
Make the league a North America League....

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:20 am 

It sounds like Toronto is pretty well lined up for 2019. It will be interesting to see how things shake out with both them and the Wolfpack (rugby league) in the same market.

Vancouver sounds promising and I'd imagine the big crowd for the Maori can only have helped things.

Canadian teams are important for this league. They add viable markets without diluting the talent level of the league.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:30 am 

A pro league with a TV contract will take North American rugby to a completely new level.

It is exactly what is need to surge growth in numbers / depth and professionalism in our NA players.

29,500 fans in Vancouver for the Canada vs Maori game in a fantastic stadium combined with the fan support for the Vancity 7's stop should be encouraging. Myself i am a bit sceptical still though as Vancouver has shown itself to be a tough sports market .

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:54 am 

So does this knock the prospective American Pro 14 team on the head?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:08 am 

Rugby2023 wrote:

Don't think so. This league has been building slowly for awhile and might not even be in the same markets targeted by Pro 14.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:40 am 

Great news. Seems much more organic than the last attempt, and much more like the US model for sports ownership (i.e clubs owning the league)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:58 am 

Rugby2023 wrote:

Hopefully.

Fúcking stupid idea.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:54 am 

Sounds promising and we need to get there before leaguies try to sell the diet version as real rugby.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:16 pm 

Quote:
Sounds promising and we need to get there before leaguies try to sell the diet version as real rugby.

With the proviso that they don't try to add/subtract Laws to make it more approachable for the US punters (like they did in Footy).

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:47 pm 

I got all excited until I saw the locations. Nearly 60% of th epopulation lives east of the Mississippi, and yet the best they have got is New Orleans. Better way for the 2020 franchise. Good lukck to MLR all the same.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:00 pm 

Nieghorn wrote:
Two years. Here. First.

And what has Rugby Canada done?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:19 pm 

This league has terrible branding so far (Seattle and maybe SLC aside). They need some better marketing people in. Austin Elite sucks as a name and SaberCats is plain lol.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:35 pm 

One and done.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:39 pm 

Old Man by the Sea wrote:
One and done.

I'm a little surprised CBS signed up on a multi year deal tbh.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:59 pm 

Fingers crossed the people behind this have longer-term intentions. It will work, but this will be a multi-year bedding-in process, like MLS only longer imho.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:05 pm 

goeagles wrote:
Rugby2023 wrote:

Don't think so. This league has been building slowly for awhile and might not even be in the same markets targeted by Pro 14.

But don't this crowd have monopoly rights on pro rugby in the US?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:06 pm 

Good news.

I am available for any American business looking to invest. Years of talking bollocks about rugby sees me eminently qualified.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:09 pm 

paddyor wrote:
goeagles wrote:
Rugby2023 wrote:

No. They aren't even officially sanctioned yet.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:27 pm 

Bowens wrote:
paddyor wrote:
goeagles wrote:
Rugby2023 wrote:

Oh. That was the case before though was it not. Did it fall apart?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:29 pm 

I guess. No news in months.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:33 pm 

goeagles wrote:
Rugby2023 wrote:

What goey said. The Pro 14 team will almost certainly be in the northeast and this league does not have a team east of the Mississippi River yet.

Good news.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:37 pm 

Bowens wrote:
One and done.

It is CBS Sports. Of the sports channels that are actually on people's cable packages, it's the weakest of all of them. Still, this is a great move for rugby that we even got this.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:44 pm 

LandOTurk wrote:
I got all excited until I saw the locations. Nearly 60% of th epopulation lives east of the Mississippi, and yet the best they have got is New Orleans. Better way for the 2020 franchise. Good lukck to MLR all the same.

Unlike some pie-and-sky American rugby dreamers put out there, these people seem to have teams based on existing strong club structures (SLC notwithstanding). There's nothing in the South beyond Life in Atlanta, and I don't know if MLR would want Life or Life would want in MLR. New Orleans are a South Rugby team and are here, although they're almost a different region to other parts of the South. For the northeast, there are strong clubs. I imagine the issue there is a lack of facilities. East Coast rugby fields can be a disgrace, even for top teams. And whatever size stadium is necessary for entry, may cost too much to rent. A Chicago or Columbus, Ohio, representative is also noticeably missing.

Last edited by Flyin Ryan on Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:49 pm 

Hoping that they don't mind playing with 85 +degrees and high humidity.
Go Gold ⚜️

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:49 pm 

The "established clubs" thing was the original selling point for this competition but is it really true any more? SLC, SD, New Orleans and Houston are new ventures, not affiliated with any past clubs. Austin broke from the established club Huns (did Seattle do the same?). That leaves Glendale, the established club who were formed way back in 2007 AD.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:53 pm 

Bowens wrote:
The "established clubs" thing was the original selling point for this competition but is it really true any more? SLC, SD, New Orleans and Houston are new ventures, not affiliated with any past clubs. Austin broke from the established club Huns (did Seattle do the same?). That leaves Glendale, the established club who were formed way back in 2007 AD.

Pro-amateur. Always were going to separate. You still need an underlying base of people that know what the hell they're doing. Looking at that on the Rugby side, not the business side.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:33 pm 

LandOTurk wrote:

And most of the decent rugby is west of the Mississippi. NY and Chicago are likely to get teams in the next few years, anyway, although major population centers are overrated for fledgling leagues. The least successful team off the pitch in PRO Rugby last year was SF, while the most successful were Sacramento and Columbus, which were the smallest markets.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:35 pm 

Bowens wrote:
paddyor wrote:
goeagles wrote:
Rugby2023 wrote:

They can't be until PRO's exclusive sanction runs up in March or April. The competition is supposed to start immediately after that sanction ends.

Bowens wrote:
One and done.

You've been really down on this league since news started leaking out. Curious why?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:42 pm 

Genuine question (from me who doesn't know much about Yank sports).

If certain news outlets are to believed, the NFL is losing support at quite a rate due to the spoilt brats they have as players, and even more so due to them politicising the sport (Bend The Knee). Is this true?

If it's indeed true, what are the changes of disgruntled NFL fans starting to follow rugby instead?

Assuming of course their Rugby players do not follow in the footprints of their NFL counterparts.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:34 pm 

goeagles wrote:
LandOTurk wrote:

And most of the decent rugby is west of the Mississippi. NY and Chicago are likely to get teams in the next few years, anyway, although major population centers are overrated for fledgling leagues. The least successful team off the pitch in PRO Rugby last year was SF, while the most successful were Sacramento and Columbus, which were the smallest markets.

Bingo. Though I'm sure we'll probably see teams in NY/Chicago/LA/etc. sooner rather than later anyways, unfortunately. In any case, I'm pretty happy with the cities they chose to host the charter franchises; if they could find a way to get Sacramento involved it would be pretty much perfect.

I'm more optimistic with this start-up league than any other I've seen attempted. The time may finally be right for the establishment of a real, lasting rugby league. That league probably could have been PRO if it hadn't been ran by a complete thundercunt.

Last edited by fonzeee on Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:37 pm 

troglodiet wrote:
Genuine question (from me who doesn't know much about Yank sports).

If certain news outlets are to believed, the NFL is losing support at quite a rate due to the spoilt brats they have as players, and even more so due to them politicising the sport (Bend The Knee). Is this true?

If it's indeed true, what are the changes of disgruntled NFL fans starting to follow rugby instead?

Assuming of course their Rugby players do not follow in the footprints of their NFL counterparts.

The NFL has lost some support for a variety of reasons. I'm not sure it's as big a drop as some claim. Sure, there is an opportunity to grab some disgruntled fans, but it's not going to be some mass conversion. It's going to take time to build up support.

I'd imagine the league will have a policy similar to the NBA regarding anthems.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:41 pm 

No Norcal team?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:46 pm 

fonzeee wrote:
goeagles wrote:
LandOTurk wrote:

Bingo. Though I'm sure we'll probably see teams in NY/Chicago/LA/etc. sooner rather than later anyways, unfortunately. In any case, I'm pretty happy with the cities they chose to host the charter franchises; if they could find a way to get Sacramento involved it would be pretty much perfect.

I think I saw something on the MLR subreddit about Sacramento possibly having a group that was interested. It would definitely be among the most likely to succeed long term if they did.

Chicago is almost a dead certainty and NY is too if they can find a suitable venue. I really, really hope LA doesn't happen. San Diego is close enough for Socal talent and LA is a terrible sports market. Just look at the struggles the NFL is having putting butts in seats in LA this year. Nevermind the shit attendances at rugby tests/events in the past in LA. I actually like LA as a city more than most but it's a terrible sports town.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:14 pm 

Very exciting times for American rugby.

North American kids are really attracted to sport that has professional long term opportunities.
This is what has been missing in North America.

Pro opportunities will attract elite youth.

Great news.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:57 pm 

goeagles wrote:
Bowens wrote:

You've been really down on this league since news started leaking out. Curious why?

I wouldn't say that. I just try to provide a balance to the cheerleading on r/MLRugby. I think you have been pretty even-handed tho. :thumbup:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:35 pm 

It will be interesting to see how this impacts clubs outside the comp. I know for example that Eloff is leaving the Chicago Lions to play for the New Orleans team.

I am all for the structured start up. And I am happy that we are not paying for big names that only those on here would know. And from a marketing stand point, it is better to have a no name texas drawl vs Chris Wyles British accent. Chris is a great player, but unfortunately little cache here in the US.

And CBS sports shows some college football and if rugby gets any more popular, it could make it to the main network.