Chat Forum
It is currently Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:23 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:00 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 19, 2013 9:12 am
Posts: 6300
And here I was trying to cut down. What was I thinking?

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/lifestyle/new ... d=11989794


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:13 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:29 pm
Posts: 7616
Is there a difference between craft beer, and say regular beer, apart from marketing?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:23 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat May 06, 2017 9:18 pm
Posts: 2504
Jim Lahey wrote:
Is there a difference between craft beer, and say regular beer, apart from marketing?


It contains hipster's spunk?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:25 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 21637
Location: End of the road, turn right and first house on the left
Jim Lahey wrote:
Is there a difference between craft beer, and say regular beer, apart from marketing?



Spot the poster who didn't read the article. :P


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:27 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:01 am
Posts: 941
Jim Lahey wrote:
Is there a difference between craft beer, and say regular beer, apart from marketing?

While the definition isn't exactly robust, I'd expect it to have more fewer processed ingredients and more natural ones. The article also mentions lack of pasteurization.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:27 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed May 30, 2012 5:46 am
Posts: 13181
Jim Lahey wrote:
Is there a difference between craft beer, and say regular beer, apart from marketing?


Quote:
The basic premise and reason craft beer is healthier than mass produced beer is that it is less pasteurised, Prof McCullough said.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:34 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 19796
Jim Lahey wrote:
Is there a difference between craft beer, and say regular beer, apart from marketing?

Craft beer is essentially the brewing of English and Belgian style ales in small unfiltered and unpasteurised batches often playing around with ABV, IBU and additional flavours. Most craft beer styles seem to be commercially available in the UK and Belgium, often from smaller breweries that aren't, by definition, craft breweries


Last edited by Jensrsa on Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:34 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:29 pm
Posts: 7616
Enzedder wrote:
Jim Lahey wrote:
Is there a difference between craft beer, and say regular beer, apart from marketing?



Spot the poster who didn't read the article. :P


I'll grab my coat :blush:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:38 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:01 am
Posts: 941
Jensrsa wrote:
Jim Lahey wrote:
Is there a difference between craft beer, and say regular beer, apart from marketing?

Craft beer is essentially the brewing of English and Belgian style ales in small unfiltered and unpasteurised batches often playing around with ABV, IBU and additional flavours. Most craft beer styles seem to be commercially available in the UK and Belgium

Plenty of craft lager around as well although the slight issue there is that several countries have mass produced lager that is rather excellent rendering the craft ones less interesting.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:42 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:58 pm
Posts: 21965
What about home brew? That must surely be healthier again,a pint is probably the same as doing a 10k.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:52 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 4008
Location: Queensland!
booji boy wrote:
And here I was trying to cut down. What was I thinking?

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/lifestyle/new ... d=11989794


Sorry dubious research there

"Work by Associate Professor Mike McCullough, at California's Polytechnic State University"

Think we should all take a bender over the coming week and compare results :thumbup:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:54 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 20334
Jim Lahey wrote:
Is there a difference between craft beer, and say regular beer, apart from marketing?


One adds hops when they run out of ideas.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:03 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 19796
dinsdale wrote:
Jensrsa wrote:
Jim Lahey wrote:
Is there a difference between craft beer, and say regular beer, apart from marketing?

Craft beer is essentially the brewing of English and Belgian style ales in small unfiltered and unpasteurised batches often playing around with ABV, IBU and additional flavours. Most craft beer styles seem to be commercially available in the UK and Belgium

Plenty of craft lager around as well although the slight issue there is that several countries have mass produced lager that is rather excellent rendering the craft ones less interesting.


True.

In SA I find most craft brewers start with an IPA, a stout, a brown or red ale and maybe a weiss, and the different brewers beers taste basically the same. The better craft brewers, as they become commercially viable, start experimenting with different tastes and variations while others cater for the general taste by ensuring their beers are not too bitter or too strong. In SA, unlike the UK, there isn't really a large commercial non-lager market and the variations come from the craft brewers


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:11 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 21666
Location: A vacant lot next to a pile of rubble
The best definition I've ever heard for craft beer was "beer made without the influence of accountants or marketing people." I guess we will have to work unpasteurized into that now.

In the mean time I'm looking forward to the health benefits of the next couple of weekends... :o


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:22 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 1453
Fat Old Git wrote:
The best definition I've ever heard for craft beer was "beer made without the influence of accountants or marketing people." I guess we will have to work unpasteurized into that now.

In the mean time I'm looking forward to the health benefits of the next couple of weekends... :o

Any brewer who sells bottled beer should pasteurise it if he wants to sleep at night.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:27 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:01 am
Posts: 941
BillW wrote:
Fat Old Git wrote:
The best definition I've ever heard for craft beer was "beer made without the influence of accountants or marketing people." I guess we will have to work unpasteurized into that now.

In the mean time I'm looking forward to the health benefits of the next couple of weekends... :o

Any brewer who sells bottled beer should pasteurise it if he wants to sleep at night.

Nah. Bottle conditioned beer, or anything strong, doesn't need it. Actually, pasteurising bottle conditioned beer would be massively missing the point.

While I try not to drink from cans, modern ones are the best method of storing beer for a good shelf life.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:09 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 19843
BillW wrote:
Fat Old Git wrote:
The best definition I've ever heard for craft beer was "beer made without the influence of accountants or marketing people." I guess we will have to work unpasteurized into that now.

In the mean time I'm looking forward to the health benefits of the next couple of weekends... :o

Any brewer who sells bottled beer should pasteurise it if he wants to sleep at night.

What absolute rubbish

But

I'm going to live forever


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:11 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 18839
Location: Sarnath in the land of Mnar
happyhooker wrote:
BillW wrote:
Fat Old Git wrote:
The best definition I've ever heard for craft beer was "beer made without the influence of accountants or marketing people." I guess we will have to work unpasteurized into that now.

In the mean time I'm looking forward to the health benefits of the next couple of weekends... :o

Any brewer who sells bottled beer should pasteurise it if he wants to sleep at night.

What absolute rubbish

But

I'm going to live forever



You and me both, brother. :thumbup:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:37 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 1709
Location: Canadian Tundra
I have a craft beer while i drink red wine.... Better safe than sorry..


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:49 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 21637
Location: End of the road, turn right and first house on the left
Hmmm, I have a "date" this Friday at the Good George.

I will volunteer myself as a live experiment


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:51 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 1086
While I don't take issue with the potential health benefits, the uber hoppy ones can, according to research, negatively impact ones love life. The soporific effect of compounds in the high alpha hops are believed to suppress urges and contribute to 'droop'.

Blame the Americans.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:57 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 1709
Location: Canadian Tundra
Wine with my beer .... no thanks.

I prefer my beer with coffee.....

http://culinairemagazine.ca/coffee-beer ... ted-brews/


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:01 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 21637
Location: End of the road, turn right and first house on the left
Market Square Hero wrote:
While I don't take issue with the potential health benefits, the uber hoppy ones can, according to research, negatively impact ones love life. The soporific effect of compounds in the high alpha hops are believed to suppress urges and contribute to 'droop'.

Blame the Americans.


Could a double negative become a positive? Just asking for "a friend"


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:30 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 19843
Market Square Hero wrote:
While I don't take issue with the potential health benefits, the uber hoppy ones can, according to research, negatively impact ones love life. The soporific effect of compounds in the high alpha hops are believed to suppress urges and contribute to 'droop'.

Blame the Americans.

My intensive studies on this (where admittedly n=1) show this to be false.

So far anyway


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:30 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 19843
moosehead wrote:
I have a craft beer while i drink red wine.... Better safe than sorry..

You sick bastard


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:52 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 19, 2013 9:12 am
Posts: 6300
happyhooker wrote:
moosehead wrote:
I have a craft beer while i drink red wine.... Better safe than sorry..

You sick bastard


Yeah that's a bit off but I'm thinking I should enjoy a glass of good red AFTER drinking craft beer. Just to make sure I've got all the health benefit bases covered.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:07 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 19, 2013 9:12 am
Posts: 6300
Enzedder wrote:
Hmmm, I have a "date" this Friday at the Good George.

I will volunteer myself as a live experiment


Good man! :thumbup:

Good George IPA was the first craft beer I got a taste for that brought me over to the dark side (from being a basic lager lout). Now I'm a fully fledged, card carrying, craft beer snob happy to pay twice the price for beer than I used to. :nod:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:10 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 45284
FOG will live till he's 150 :lol: :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:24 am 
Online

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 17092
booji boy wrote:
happyhooker wrote:
moosehead wrote:
I have a craft beer while i drink red wine.... Better safe than sorry..

You sick bastard


Yeah that's a bit off but I'm thinking I should enjoy a glass of good red AFTER drinking craft beer. Just to make sure I've got all the health benefit bases covered.



Just to make sure that red doesn't stain your teeth, you should wash it down with another beer.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:25 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 21666
Location: A vacant lot next to a pile of rubble
I'm already 165!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:35 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 45284
Fat Old Git wrote:
I'm already 165!


And still looking good!!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:42 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 27456
I brew my own craft beer...I'm the healthiest of all. :smug:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:06 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 5043
Beer taste yucky.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:24 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 1453
booji boy wrote:
Enzedder wrote:
Hmmm, I have a "date" this Friday at the Good George.

I will volunteer myself as a live experiment


Good man! :thumbup:

Good George IPA was the first craft beer I got a taste for that brought me over to the dark side (from being a basic lager lout). Now I'm a fully fledged, card carrying, craft beer snob happy to pay twice the price for beer than I used to. :nod:

A fool and his money......


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:42 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 19, 2013 9:12 am
Posts: 6300
BillW wrote:
booji boy wrote:
Enzedder wrote:
Hmmm, I have a "date" this Friday at the Good George.

I will volunteer myself as a live experiment


Good man! :thumbup:

Good George IPA was the first craft beer I got a taste for that brought me over to the dark side (from being a basic lager lout). Now I'm a fully fledged, card carrying, craft beer snob happy to pay twice the price for beer than I used to. :nod:

A fool and his money......


Clearly a lot of fools based on the popularity of craft beer. As least we're healthy fools. ;)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:10 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:57 pm
Posts: 877
Bullettyme wrote:
Jim Lahey wrote:
Is there a difference between craft beer, and say regular beer, apart from marketing?


One adds hops when they run out of ideas.

:lol: First laugh of the day.
:thumbup: :thumbup:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:15 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:47 pm
Posts: 4025
Bowens wrote:
Jim Lahey wrote:
Is there a difference between craft beer, and say regular beer, apart from marketing?


Quote:
The basic premise and reason craft beer is healthier than mass produced beer is that it is less pasteurised, Prof McCullough said.

How can something be ''less pasteurised'',FFS! - it's either pasteurised or it isn't, and 'Real Ale' by definition isn't pasteurised! 'Craft Beer' is just a wanky marketing label applied to real ale in order to flog it to hipsters and other gullible twats at twice the price. :frown:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:41 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 21666
Location: A vacant lot next to a pile of rubble
Calculus wrote:
Beer taste yucky.


Burn the witch! Burn him!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:45 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 21666
Location: A vacant lot next to a pile of rubble
Red Chopper wrote:
Bowens wrote:
Jim Lahey wrote:
Is there a difference between craft beer, and say regular beer, apart from marketing?


Quote:
The basic premise and reason craft beer is healthier than mass produced beer is that it is less pasteurised, Prof McCullough said.

How can something be ''less pasteurised'',FFS! - it's either pasteurised or it isn't, and 'Real Ale' by definition isn't pasteurised! 'Craft Beer' is just a wanky marketing label applied to real ale in order to flog it to hipsters and other gullible twats at twice the price. :frown:


There are certainly some larger brewers using it as a marketing trick to sell ordinary beer at an increased price, but for most of it the difference in cost is down to having more expensive ingredients and little or no economy of scale benefits.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:54 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:28 am
Posts: 14621
What about natural wine?


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: A5D5E5, Achahoish, bimboman, camroc1, ChipSpike, Diego, farmerdave, fatheralice, feckwanker, Flyin Ryan, HighKingLeinster, iarmhiman, Jay Cee Gee, Jensrsa, Margin_Walker, Mick Mannock, mr flaps, Mr Mike, Mullet 2, nardol, Oxbow, panamax, Raggs, Rinkals, Snooze, terangi48, TQoET, Turbogoat, unseenwork, Uthikoloshe, Wendigo7, Winnie and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group