Chat Forum
It is currently Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:57 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 488 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 5:00 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 19542
Location: STRAYA!
In Brisbane.

http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/brisbane-global-tens-launched/

Quote:
It has been rumoured for a while now, but the Brisbane Global Tens tournament, set for Suncorp Stadium next February, was officially launched today.

The event is the brainchild of the same crew behind the NRL Auckland Nines tournament and has been confirmed to run for the next four years.

Held the week after the Sydney leg of the World Sevens Series, the Global Tens tournament will feature the ten professional franchises of Australia and New Zealand, plus Toulon from France, the Panasonic Wild Knights from Japan, the Blue Bulls of South Africa and the Samoan international team.

The tournament will live and die by the quality of players it attracts with previous suggestions indicating that each team was contractually obliged to at least bring their top five players. If they can achieve this and we can enjoy a weekend of the likes of Israel Folau, Quade Cooper, Sean McMahon, Michael Hooper, Ben Smith, Julian Savea, David Pocock, Berrick Barnes, Matt Giteau, Drew Mitchell and Liam Gill running around, then bring it on I say. But if ends up being a glorified NRC v ITM Cup 10s tournament, then the numbers just won’t stack up.

It is expected that a lot of focus will go to activating the precinct around Suncorp Stadium to take in Caxton Street, to enhance the spectator experience. This can only add to the desired carnival atmosphere of the event, although I can’t imagine the venue wanting too many people leaving the stadium to buy their food and drink.

Tickets go on sale to the General Public at 9:00am on Thursday 11 August and a 2 day pass ranges from $60 all the way up to something called “Elite” for more than $500. With 28 games to take place over two days the value of the cheaper ticket seems to be there however, again, much depends on the quality of the stars playing the game. You could also question whether rugby needs to spend its time promoting yet another version of the game, but the usual response will be (after the money counting stops) that if it introduces any new fans to the traditional game, then it’s worth it.

BRISBANE GLOBAL TENS – AT A GLANCE

Ten Australian and New Zealand professional clubs and four elite invitational teams will compete (in 2017 the event will feature Toulon, the Bulls, Samoa and the Panasonic Wild Knights)
Ten-players-per-side, ten-minutes-per-half, knockout tournament
Culmination of a week-long festival of rugby
16 hours of compelling live rugby, featuring 28 matches played over two days
Broadcast live across Australia, New Zealand, UK, Japan, Africa, France and other major international markets
Held annually on the second weekend of February, two weeks prior to the start of the Super Rugby season, at Suncorp Stadium, Brisbane
Launches the rugby season in Australia and New Zealand
Sanctioned by the Australian Rugby Union and New Zealand Rugby

BRISBANE GLOBAL TENS RULES

The rules of the Brisbane Global Tens are based on World Rugby’s official rugby tens rules
Essentially a hybrid of the traditional 15-a-side game and rugby sevens, the objective is to promote free-flowing and fast paced rugby, while still retaining the physical intensity and enthralling forward and backline play that rugby fans love
Ten players per team on field, with unlimited interchanges
Ten minute halves, five minute half-time
Knockout matches drawn after regulation are continued into extra time, in multiple five-minute periods
All conversion attempts must be drop-kicked
Conversions must be taken within 40 seconds of scoring a try
Five player scrums
Scoring team kicks off
Yellow cards net a three-minute suspension
Referees rule on advantage quickly (where one play usually ends advantage)

KEY DATES

Monday 8 August, 2016 – Ticket pre-sale opens for Super Club members at 9:00am (AEST)
Thursday 11 August 2016 – General Public tickets on sale 9:00am (AEST)
Monday 6 February, 2017 – Tournament week in Brisbane kicks off
Saturday 11 February, 2017 – Day One – Brisbane Global Tens
Sunday 12 February, 2017 – Day Two – Brisbane Global Tens


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 5:01 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 19542
Location: STRAYA!
Rugby.

In Brisbane.

In February.

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 5:16 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 453
Thomas wrote:
Rugby.

In Brisbane.

In February.

To fit 14 hours of play a day in they're going to be playing riught through the middle of the day too :uhoh:

Quote:
The Australian Rugby Union chief executive, John O'Neill, has called for a later start to next season's Super 14 after the South African flanker Juan Smith collapsed with heat exhaustion at the weekend.Smith was taken to a Brisbane hospital on Sunday night and placed on a saline drip after he succumbed to heat stress in the dressing room following the Cheetahs' 22–3 defeat by Australia's Queensland Reds.The game was played in temperatures exceeding 32C and humidity of 66% and both teams struggled to cope with the extreme conditions.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 5:22 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 19542
Location: STRAYA!
February is easily the worst month in Brisbane.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 5:24 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 1117
Thomas wrote:
February is easily the worst month in Brisbane.


Yep - its a monumentally stupid idea.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 5:25 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 16142
NRL issue press release?

"Oh yeah? We'll we're gonna do the Sydney 11's then ya farken carnts!"


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 5:34 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 453
Jay Cee Gee wrote:
NRL issue press release?

"Oh yeah? We'll we're gonna do the Sydney 11's then ya farken carnts!"

When is the Auckland Nines next year - have they announced it yet?

I imagine it eill either clash with this or the Sevens event in Sydney the week before


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 5:39 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 5132
Location: STRAYA CUNT!!!
749a wrote:
Jay Cee Gee wrote:
NRL issue press release?

"Oh yeah? We'll we're gonna do the Sydney 11's then ya farken carnts!"

When is the Auckland Nines next year - have they announced it yet?

I imagine it eill either clash with this or the Sevens event in Sydney the week before


Considering its the same group that runs the Auckland 9s I doubt one event will clash with the other. The 9s may clash with the Sydney 7s as I'm pretty sure it did this year.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 5:40 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 5132
Location: STRAYA CUNT!!!
749a wrote:
Thomas wrote:
Rugby.

In Brisbane.

In February.

To fit 14 hours of play a day in they're going to be playing riught through the middle of the day too :uhoh:

Quote:
The Australian Rugby Union chief executive, John O'Neill, has called for a later start to next season's Super 14 after the South African flanker Juan Smith collapsed with heat exhaustion at the weekend.Smith was taken to a Brisbane hospital on Sunday night and placed on a saline drip after he succumbed to heat stress in the dressing room following the Cheetahs' 22–3 defeat by Australia's Queensland Reds.The game was played in temperatures exceeding 32C and humidity of 66% and both teams struggled to cope with the extreme conditions.


Not 14 hours of play. Likely only 14 games each day for a total of 28. So a strectch of 7 to 8 hours. Still tough going in the heat and humidity of February up north.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 5:52 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 12295
I've done Darwin 7s a few times now, 32-36% and 90%+ humidity. That's hard enough, doing 10s is a rather silly idea.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:11 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 11164
Why not do late finishes?

If they start at 3.00pm then they can finish at 10.00pm.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:12 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 453
Working Class Rugger wrote:

Not 14 hours of play. Likely only 14 games each day for a total of 28. So a strectch of 7 to 8 hours. Still tough going in the heat and humidity of February up north.

:thumbup: That's what I meant - 8 hours per day

Quote:
16 hours of compelling live rugby, featuring 28 matches played over two days


I remember having a very fun day watching the Ballymore Tens with Wendell Sailor back in the early days of professionalism. If it's as good as that it should be a good event


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:14 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 6586
Why not play in Auckland where it's cooler?
KG


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:17 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 11164
kiwigreg369 wrote:
Why not play in Auckland where it's cooler?
KG


and shift the 9s to Brisbane? :D


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:18 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 6586
Auckman wrote:
kiwigreg369 wrote:
Why not play in Auckland where it's cooler?
KG


and shift the 9s to Brisbane? :D


Yep... there's less of them getting hot and most have tough guy stickers to form a layer of protection.....
KG


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:22 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 19542
Location: STRAYA!
Auckman wrote:
Why not do late finishes?

If they start at 3.00pm then they can finish at 10.00pm.


I'm sure that's what they'll do.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:45 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 6211
How about watch cricket in summer you knob skins.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:07 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 5132
Location: STRAYA CUNT!!!
J Man wrote:
How about watch cricket in summer you knob skins.


Don't worry we will. But usually by February the Test series are or have wound down, the BBL has been run and won and we only have a handful of one dayers left. Need something else to catch or attention.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:09 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 13952
Location: Kepler 452-b
If the best players are made available then I'm all for it :thumbup:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:53 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 34136
Location: Queensland
L. Ron Hubbard wrote:
If the best players are made available then I'm all for it :thumbup:


There is no way the Crusaders will play their All Blacks during this tournament. And I suspect that the other NZ teams will go the same way. These guys don't play pre-season games now because of an NZRU mandated break for All Black players. Why would the NZRU completely derail what has been a successful program of managing All Black players for some meaningless 10s carnival?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:11 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 1668
Is 10s a good game to play/watch? Ive never seen a match (yes, even in the age of youtube...). Or is it 7s with an extra ruck or two and a slightly more competitive scrum?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:40 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 57641
Location: Dirty Leeds
Do they think Liam Gill is in the top 5 players at Toulon?

Also, it's the same weekend as the opening round of the 6N so Toulon won't have any of their NH contingent (Halfpenny, Guirado, Chioci, Suta, Taofifénua, Tillous-Borde, Trinh-Duc, Basteraud, Mermoz) and it's a week after a T14 fixture, I imagine they'll use it for rehabbing injured players and giving squad players some gametime.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 5:10 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 26031
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:32 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 3399
Location: Wellington
Ali's Choice wrote:
L. Ron Hubbard wrote:
If the best players are made available then I'm all for it :thumbup:


There is no way the Crusaders will play their All Blacks during this tournament. And I suspect that the other NZ teams will go the same way. These guys don't play pre-season games now because of an NZRU mandated break for All Black players. Why would the NZRU completely derail what has been a successful program of managing All Black players for some meaningless 10s carnival?


Not sure if in the above article, but on the original thread on this topic it is noted the the promoters have individual contracts with certain players and with the teams directly. Promoters are promoters so sure will say anything regardless of truth but still... seems like there will be some heavy involvement by key players.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:24 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 19542
Location: STRAYA!
kiap wrote:
Image



Well, shit.

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 12:16 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 12295
Morgan14 wrote:
Is 10s a good game to play/watch? Ive never seen a match (yes, even in the age of youtube...). Or is it 7s with an extra ruck or two and a slightly more competitive scrum?

It's a slightly more structured version of 7s, less overall tries I've found, sometimes you need to build phases to get points.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 12:23 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 34136
Location: Queensland
Sprig wrote:
Ali's Choice wrote:
L. Ron Hubbard wrote:
If the best players are made available then I'm all for it :thumbup:


There is no way the Crusaders will play their All Blacks during this tournament. And I suspect that the other NZ teams will go the same way. These guys don't play pre-season games now because of an NZRU mandated break for All Black players. Why would the NZRU completely derail what has been a successful program of managing All Black players for some meaningless 10s carnival?


Not sure if in the above article, but on the original thread on this topic it is noted the the promoters have individual contracts with certain players and with the teams directly. Promoters are promoters so sure will say anything regardless of truth but still... seems like there will be some heavy involvement by key players.


There may be some 'marquee' players involved, especially Australian players. But there won't be any All Blacks who are involved with the EOYT because they will have an NZRU enforced rest period prior to Super Rugby starting.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 2:47 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 26031
Thomas wrote:
kiap wrote:
Image



Well, shit.

Image

:lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:05 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 06, 2016 5:04 am
Posts: 4939
Quote:


Chris Latham has challenged former Wallabies teammate Stephen Larkham to dust off his boots and come out of retirement for February's inaugural Brisbane Global Tens tournament.

Former Test fullback Latham is keen to renew some old rivalries when he makes his playing return at 41 for the pre-season extravaganza.

Each team at the Brisbane Global Tens will have the chance to field an ex-player as their 'wildcard' selection, with 117-cap fan favourite Latham fitting the bill for the Reds.

Lote Tuqiri is reportedly being considered as the NSW Waratahs' wildcard pick while the Brumbies will also exercise the option, and could potentially roll out Larkham as a captain-coach.

Larkham, 42, still plays lower grade rugby in Canberra and regularly injects himself into Wallaby training sessions.

"I daresay he would be (a good shout)," Latham said on Tuesday.

"He was one of those naturally gifted players, I think he'd still have it."

"As soon as names get thrown up, you start to reminisce of the times where you had those little battles and stuff.

"Whoever really comes back, it's going to be a fantastic event.

"You look forward to catching up with those guys, and hopefully being opposite again and having those duels."

Latham retired in 2012 after a decade at Ballymore and swansongs in Europe and Japan.

He is the backs coach at Japanese Top League club NTT Docomo but is still fit and, like Larkham, throws himself into training when numbers are short.

"When you retire, you start to get a little jealous of all these new tournaments and things that start to come in that weren't available when you were a player.," Latham said.

"You sit back and wish you were a 19-year-old kid starting your career again."

Latham joins Liam Messam, Henry Speight, Israel Folau, Israel Dagg, Jerome Kaino, Karmichael Hunt, Taniela Tupou, Loni Uhila and Rene Ranger as confirmed starters at the Brisbane Global Tens.



Damn Son, that is a strong group of players. I wish they show it online or on free-2-air.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:26 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 13952
Location: Kepler 452-b
Ali's Choice wrote:
Sprig wrote:
Ali's Choice wrote:
L. Ron Hubbard wrote:
If the best players are made available then I'm all for it :thumbup:


There is no way the Crusaders will play their All Blacks during this tournament. And I suspect that the other NZ teams will go the same way. These guys don't play pre-season games now because of an NZRU mandated break for All Black players. Why would the NZRU completely derail what has been a successful program of managing All Black players for some meaningless 10s carnival?


Not sure if in the above article, but on the original thread on this topic it is noted the the promoters have individual contracts with certain players and with the teams directly. Promoters are promoters so sure will say anything regardless of truth but still... seems like there will be some heavy involvement by key players.


There may be some 'marquee' players involved, especially Australian players. But there won't be any All Blacks who are involved with the EOYT because they will have an NZRU enforced rest period prior to Super Rugby starting.



Israel Dagg will definitely be playing....and I suspect that only a handful of ABs will not be playing.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:29 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 835
Considering the league 9s sux balls, and I actually like league, I am expecting the 10s to equally suck balls. I have almost zero interest in this and will only watch if there is nothing else to do.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:42 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 19542
Location: STRAYA!
Davedj77 wrote:
Considering the league 9s sux balls, and I actually like league, I am expecting the 10s to equally suck balls. I have almost zero interest in this and will only watch if there is nothing else to do.


Good onya mate. :thumbup:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:58 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 22123
Location: End of the road, turn right and first house on the left
Oh shit yes, we need more rugby, and league, and cricket and tiddlywinks.

Bloody TV stations - heard of the the goose that laid the golden eggs, chumps?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:11 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 835
Enzedder wrote:
Oh shit yes, we need more rugby, and league, and cricket and tiddlywinks.

Bloody TV stations - heard of the the goose that laid the golden eggs, chumps?


:nod: Already players complain there is too much rugby. It was so obvious from the End of Year tour that the SH players were tired and had probably played a game or two too many. So what happens? Someone thinks its a good idea to add something else to the calendar to add more to the workload. And its another game in the mold of 7s, T20 Cricket, 9s league that waters down the game it is based on and makes it a vastly inferior product...but still one where injuries etc can happen. Great.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:12 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 42835
I don't think this is what was meant by a global season


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 4:47 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 6211
How the fuck could anyone want more rugby?

The SH season should ideally run from middle of March until the end of October.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:19 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 21002
Location: Centre of the Universe
Enzedder wrote:
Oh shit yes, we need more rugby, and league, and cricket and tiddlywinks.

Bloody TV stations - heard of the the goose that laid the golden eggs, chumps?


Do you reckon a player protest is on the horizon?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:37 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 453
Players (and managers) are setting their prices. The boards are just doing what they have to do to pay those salaries.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:32 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 4611
Location: Straya cunt
Ali's Choice wrote:
Sprig wrote:
Ali's Choice wrote:
L. Ron Hubbard wrote:
If the best players are made available then I'm all for it :thumbup:


There is no way the Crusaders will play their All Blacks during this tournament. And I suspect that the other NZ teams will go the same way. These guys don't play pre-season games now because of an NZRU mandated break for All Black players. Why would the NZRU completely derail what has been a successful program of managing All Black players for some meaningless 10s carnival?


Not sure if in the above article, but on the original thread on this topic it is noted the the promoters have individual contracts with certain players and with the teams directly. Promoters are promoters so sure will say anything regardless of truth but still... seems like there will be some heavy involvement by key players.


There may be some 'marquee' players involved, especially Australian players. But there won't be any All Blacks who are involved with the EOYT because they will have an NZRU enforced rest period prior to Super Rugby starting.



Israel Dagg and Jerome Kaino are both signed on...


Last edited by Slim 293 on Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:39 am, edited 2 times in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:37 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 11821
Location: Spiritual Guardianland
Too late to get tickets?


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 488 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: alliswell, Bing [Bot], bonzaboy, Boomslang, Cartman, danny_fitz, DragonKhan, Edinburgh01, Fenman, Google Adsense [Bot], GWO2, I like haggis, jinxed, Laurent, lorcanoworms, Margin_Walker, Monk Zombie, Mr Mike, Nolanator, OomPB, Petej, RodneyRegis, Saint, TheSmurf, unseenwork, Yer Man, ZappaMan, zt1903 and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group