Chat Forum
It is currently Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:16 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Bordeaux long weekend
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:47 pm 

Taking the wife for a long weekend in early June. Any suggestions for places to eat (mid price and fairly traditional)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:49 pm 

Lisbon Nick wrote:
Taking the wife for a long weekend in early June. Any suggestions for places to eat (mid price and fairly traditional)

Oundle! Have a good time.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:53 pm 

globus wrote:
Lisbon Nick wrote:

I suspect a visit to Chateau Talbot is preferable to Oundle`s Talbot Hotel.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:56 pm 

I was there a couple of weeks ago, sadly I have very little memory of the trip. I remember an Irish bar and some trams.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:59 pm 

Anywhere in the quartier st Pierre, it’s full of good restaurants. If you want to do a wine tour ( in English or French) check out Rustic vines, a company owned by ex kiwi player Tim Cowley. If you get really bored you can visit one of my pubs ( the Houses of Parliament, hms victory and the market tavern. In June we have a load of tall ships coming to town plus the “ fete de la music” on the 21st. It’s an awesome city

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:06 pm 

Very nice restaurant right on the Bourse, can't remember its name but it's right on the square with a couple of side streets either side, can't miss it. Not cheap but food was great. Mind you it's hard to find shit food in that part of the world.

Cycling, if you can figure out the damn city bikes, is a great way to get about. There's some good bohemian culturey stuff along the north bank of the river as well as the usual wine/museumy attactions.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:10 pm 

plastic frog wrote:
Anywhere in the quartier st Pierre, it’s full of good restaurants.

Full is an understatement! :lol:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/search/qu ... 721662,19z

Quote:
It’s an awesome city

+1 000 000

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:11 pm 

Lisbon Nick wrote:
globus wrote:
Lisbon Nick wrote:

I suspect a visit to Chateau Talbot is preferable to Oundle`s Talbot Hotel.

Agreed! But there are lovely restaurants around here now.

One of them owned by a mate of mine.

We are still looking at a railway trip your way but the arrival of twins has put a bit of a hole in that planning.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:21 pm 

La tupina. Had a great afternoon there once.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:21 pm 

The restaurant in the place de la bourse is le Gabriel, not too bad but pricey, we also have a Gordon Ramsey eaterie at the Grand hotel, Philippe Etchebest restaurant opposite at the Grand Theater and La Tupina which has already been mentioned. All pricey but nice, the best part though is discovering the small restaurants in the back streets of which there are many.

Bordeaux is an awesome city, I’ve lived here for 15 years now and it never ceases to amaze me with a new bar or eaterie, well worth a visit.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:09 pm 

plastic frog wrote:
The restaurant in the place de la bourse is le Gabriel, not too bad but pricey, we also have a Gordon Ramsey eaterie at the Grand hotel, Philippe Etchebest restaurant opposite at the Grand Theater and La Tupina which has already been mentioned. All pricey but nice, the best part though is discovering the small restaurants in the back streets of which there are many.

Bordeaux is an awesome city, I’ve lived here for 15 years now and it never ceases to amaze me with a new bar or eaterie, well worth a visit.

He can go to the "bistrot" of the Gabriel on the 1st floor. The second floor is the main gastronomic restaurant but on the first floor you get a quality meal for 26€ or under for lunch and you can get a view over the Place de la Bourse if sitting next to a window. There is also the restaurant of the recent "Cite du Vin", fantastic panoramic view over Bordeaux and the river Garonne from the top of the building. A great view from Bordeaux and its lights at night is also available at "L'Estacade" from the right bank of the city.

Some real nice ones (I tried all of them): Fufu (downtown Bx, japanese noodles and gyozas, ~10€ for a large noodle bowl), Chez Peppone (Italian, downtown, moderate prices... huge Italian wines selection in the cellar that you select yourself), Racine, Miles, Le Clos d'Augusta (15 mins walk from downtown but outstanding food experience, the business lunch at 26€ is fab). Other favourites include the Prince Noir outside of Bordeaux or the Pavillon des Boulevards, both being a top bang for your bucks experience at lunch time if you're on budget. If you want to do a "traditional brasserie", "Le Noailles" is always good value and right in the heart of the city.

If you feel like treating your wife to a top restaurant then call a Uber to go to the Saint James in Bouliac.

Reservation is a must for all restaurants above.

I recently read that Bordeaux has the highest ratio in France of restaurants per capita. The choice is huge and the quality has greatly improved. Keep away from some of the tourist crap is my advice, there are lots of choices even in the crowded areas.

PS: I forgot "Chez Dan"... French cuisine with an Asian inspiration. For diner if you're in love (the "sommelier", a woman, would make a great rule 1... well you'll have to go there).

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:35 pm 

If you can get down to Arcachon it's well worth it. About 45min drive, best if you have a car of course. Some great sand dunes but the best is to visit the docks where all the oyster farmers bring in their product, very well priced and loads of spots to grab a plate of oysters and a bottle of white wine to enjoy.

St Emilion is also worth a visit, only 45min away too.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:46 pm 

GDBFC99 wrote:
plastic frog wrote:

He can go to the "bistrot" of the Gabriel on the 1st floor. The second floor is the main gastronomic restaurant but on the first floor you get a quality meal for 26€ or under for lunch and you can get a view over the Place de la Bourse if sitting next to a window. There is also the restaurant of the recent "Cite du Vin", fantastic panoramic view over Bordeaux and the river Garonne from the top of the building. A great view from Bordeaux and its lights at night is also available at "L'Estacade" from the right bank of the city.

Some real nice ones (I tried all of them): Fufu (downtown Bx, japanese noodles and gyozas, ~10€ for a large noodle bowl), Chez Peppone (Italian, downtown, moderate prices... huge Italian wines selection in the cellar that you select yourself), Racine, Miles, Le Clos d'Augusta (15 mins walk from downtown but outstanding food experience, the business lunch at 26€ is fab). Other favourites include the Prince Noir outside of Bordeaux or the Pavillon des Boulevards, both being a top bang for your bucks experience at lunch time if you're on budget. If you want to do a "traditional brasserie", "Le Noailles" is always good value and right in the heart of the city.

If you feel like treating your wife to a top restaurant then call a Uber to go to the Saint James in Bouliac.

Reservation is a must for all restaurants above.

I recently read that Bordeaux has the highest ratio in France of restaurants per capita. The choice is huge and the quality has greatly improved. Keep away from some of the tourist crap is my advice, there are lots of choices even in the crowded areas.

PS: I forgot "Chez Dan"... French cuisine with an Asian inspiration. For diner if you're in love (the "sommelier", a woman, would make a great rule 1... well you'll have to go there).

The St James in Bouliac.... it’s on my way home from work. I stopped there with the wife for a Apero

basic Absolut vodka, standard Gordon’s gin, two small bottles of Schweppes tonic....€38!

I need to up my prices in my pubs !

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:19 pm 

Well the St James indeed at the top of the list (or close to it) when it comes to prices. :lol:

About the Bassin d'Arcachon, good luck on a weekend in June with the traffic jams. Traffic has become insane there. It's a place of beauty though. :thumbup:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:35 pm 

100MileDad wrote:
I was there a couple of weeks ago, sadly I have very little memory of the trip. I remember an Irish bar and some trans.

:shock:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:33 am 

I think (hope) he meant trams, we have lovely modern ones.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:10 am 

GDBFC99 wrote:
Well the St James indeed at the top of the list (or close to it) when it comes to prices. :lol:

About the Bassin d'Arcachon, good luck on a weekend in June with the traffic jams. Traffic has become insane there. It's a place of beauty though. :thumbup:

Trains are good to Arcachon, then hire bikes and catch the boat across to Cap Ferret for wine and oysters. One of the best places in Europe I reckon.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:12 am 

Another great thread. It's why I stay on here.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:45 pm 

My old friend (in the very sense of it) Lieutenant Rossetto used to sail from Bordeaux with submarine Tazzoli firstly in 1942 (as member of the crew of Fecia di Cossato) and then as commander of submarine Finzi in 1943, for few cruises in the Atlantic during WWII
/Globus mode off

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:18 pm 

Seneca of the Night wrote:
GDBFC99 wrote:

Trains are good to Arcachon, then hire bikes and catch the boat across to Cap Ferret for wine and oysters. One of the best places in Europe I reckon.

Only if you like piss and biscuits, it’s the most boring places Earth.

Plastic frog owns the Houses of Parliament pub in Bordeaux he’d know best. I’ve been a few times nice little city. Good base if you’ve a car.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:46 pm 

Duff Paddy wrote:
Seneca of the Night wrote:
GDBFC99 wrote:

Only if you like piss and biscuits, it’s the most boring places Earth.

Plastic frog owns the Houses of Parliament pub in Bordeaux he’d know best. I’ve been a few times nice little city. Good base if you’ve a car.

Seneca is not totally wrong. From the Cap Ferret you've got this view on the highest sand dune in Europe (low tide): http://www.chezboulanferret.fr/jardin-b ... ferret.php

You can also eat some great seafood chez "Hortense". And you have access both to the calmer waters of the Bassin, or to the ocean waves if you feel like it. Awesome place if you have a bike too, lots of dedicated bike roads.

Picture from the Hortense restaurant: (spoilered for size)
Spoiler: show

Except in June the boats linking Arcachon to the Cap Ferret might still be a bit scarce.

It's our little heaven on earth, too bad it's being clogged by parisians nowadays. It's got super expensive in the last decade, pretty much impossible to buy a home there now.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:23 pm 

well, been to Bordeaux several times for sport, and all i can remember were pavements full of dogs shits... like full.

As for the fine "art de vivre à la française" and the restaurants, i find it rich we french usually get so much stick from the anglos, only for them to then ask where and how to enjoy life in France.

Fùck off we're not full yet, but just fùck off.

pfffffffffffffff

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:25 pm 

jolindien wrote:
well, been to Bordeaux several times for sport, and all i can remember were pavements full of dogs shits... like full.

As for the fine "art de vivre à la française" and the restaurants, i find it rich we french usually get so much stick from the anglos, only for them to then ask where and how to enjoy life in France.

Fùck off we're not full yet, but just fùck off.

pfffffffffffffff

Too late. Accomodation and plane already booked.

Living on Portugal for over twenty years Ive learned to enjoy life. Its the work thats shit!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:44 pm 

Have had good meals in Bouchon Bordelais before and no trip to Bordeaux is complete without a moules frites from Bistro Poulette in the big food market. Nice beers too.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:27 pm 

Old food market = marché des capucins. Great on a place for Sunday morning hangover food ( and not far from one of mine (HMS Victory) or indeed the market on the quais ( waterfront) around the Chartrons area of Bordeaux.... and bizarrely near yet another of mine ( the Market Tavern) ..... fück me I’ve got this city covered.

Honestly, even if you avoid my places like a whores toothbrush, Bordeaux is an amazing place to visit. Big enough to be interesting yet small enough to do all the interesting stuff on foot.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:05 pm 

Just nearby the Cité du Vin, I read that the newly constructed market ("Les Halles de Bacalan") is really nice for a brunch or a quick bite. Some quality "food shops" as well.

There have an interactive map to know about the food/shops options: https://biltoki.com/hallesbacalan/

I'm thinking a visit to the Cité du Vin paired with this place is a decent activity for half a day. Plus the tourists can enjoy the views from the tram (or from the walkway) along the riverbank.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:15 pm 

Enjoy your trip Lisbon Nick, I have absolutely no advice to give having never been

But Rick Stein did a good show on a weekend in Bordeaux

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:47 pm 

A timely thread. Bordeaux is on our list for a mid-week break in May as part of our retirement travels. Some of these food suggestions look great

Any quiet hotel suggestions towards the centre of town? Looking for comfort rather than economy!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:59 pm 

[globus]

Went to Bordeaux on (wine) business 30 years ago (boss is MW)

Climbed the dune at Arcochon

Had lamprey in the restaurant afterwards

Very good

Can't recall name

Sorry

[/globus]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:36 pm 

SaintK wrote:
A timely thread. Bordeaux is on our list for a mid-week break in May as part of our retirement travels. Some of these food suggestions look great

Any quiet hotel suggestions towards the centre of town? Looking for comfort rather than economy!

Town Centre hotels where I stay rather than drive / taxi home ( normally post rugby / too much drink)

Quatre soeurs, place du tourney
Mama shelter, Bordeaux centre
Quality inn Bordeaux centre
Grand hotel, place de la comedy

Look them up online they’re all fairly good and central

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:45 pm 

SaintK wrote:

sickening baby-boomer wealth.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:14 am 

plastic frog wrote:
SaintK wrote:

Town Centre hotels where I stay rather than drive / taxi home ( normally post rugby / too much drink)

Thanks will do

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:15 am 

jolindien wrote:
SaintK wrote:

sickening baby-boomer wealth.

:lol:
Nah, careful saving and a reasonable pension 8)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:15 am 

plastic frog wrote:
SaintK wrote:

My dad likes to stay at the "Hotel Majestic" (rue de Condé) just nearby the Grand Theatre.

We've had some guests at work staying at the "Best Western Premier Hotel Bordeaux Bayonne Etche-Ona" (*catches breath*) recently, right behind the Grand Hotel. They said it was fairly good. Same for the Mama Shelter listed above.

If you're loaded, Grand Hotel.

They're all right in the heart of the city.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:18 am 

Oh and you could always check the UBB website to check for T14 games at home. http://www.ubbrugby.com/accueil.html