Chat Forum
It is currently Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:28 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:45 am 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 18470
Quote:
The Canterbury Rugby Union and Crusaders have taken minority ownership stakes in the Seattle Seawolves.

The Seawolves were formed last year and will participate in America's new professional rugby competition, Major Rugby League, which kicks off in April.

'As the oldest rugby organisation in New Zealand we are excited to have secured a small stake in the future of professional rugby in the US,' said Nathan Godgrey, Canterbury Rugby CEO.

'We look forward to sharing our expertise of developing some of the world's best rugby players with the Seawolves.'

Crusaders chief executive Hamish Riach said his franchise would be looking to help the Seawolves.

'Our goal is to assist them with their entry into professional rugby in the US. We look forward to helping where we can and supporting them in their exciting journey to be a successful professional team and club.'

http://www.sarugbymag.co.za/blog/details/crusaders-buy-into-usa-team


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:50 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 23758
Location: Middle East
Could they not have come up with a more appropriate name than "Major Rugby League"???


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:50 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 38099
Location: in transit
Turbogoat wrote:
Could they not have come up with a more appropriate name than "Major Rugby League"???


Yeah.. Major League Rugby would have been a better fit.

Anyway.. this is the beginning of the beginning here folks.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:59 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 26278
guy smiley wrote:
Yeah.. Major League Rugby would have been a better fit.

Because that's what it is called. :)

Still, a good option for a small, early investment from the Plainsmen.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:30 am 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:18 am
Posts: 5863
Location: The Kapiti Coast
kiap wrote:
guy smiley wrote:
Yeah.. Major League Rugby would have been a better fit.

Because that's what it is called. :)

Still, a good option for a small, early investment from the Plainsmen.

Is the same as the Seattle Saracens or different outfit?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:36 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:57 pm
Posts: 3138
Quote:
"As a professional rugby club we are delighted to have the opportunity to take a small stake in the Seawolves, with our goal being to assist them with their entry into professional rugby in the US"

Surely they have goals beyond that though.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:45 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 26278
WoodlandsRFC wrote:
kiap wrote:
guy smiley wrote:
Yeah.. Major League Rugby would have been a better fit.

Because that's what it is called. :)

Still, a good option for a small, early investment from the Plainsmen.

Is the same as the Seattle Saracens or different outfit?


Different. The MLR teams have pretty much come in with private backing.

My understanding is that, even if MLR dabbled with the idea (when bootstrapping the new comp a year or so back) of having their teams formed from existing clubs, all the teams are now new, separate entities ... even if there are (limited) tie-ins between some (pro) MLR teams and the existing (amateur or semi-pro) clubs.

One example is the Glendale Raptors ... now, that name previously applied to an elite amateur club with men's and women's division one teams, but the club re-branded to the name "Glendale Merlins" for these amateur (or mostly amateur) teams ... leaving the Raptors name to be carried on by the MLR team ... as a separate entity.

RE: Seattle, the Seawolves have signed several Saracens players. But they're not one and the same.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:25 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 11976
Location: Indiana
kiap wrote:
WoodlandsRFC wrote:
kiap wrote:
guy smiley wrote:
Yeah.. Major League Rugby would have been a better fit.

Because that's what it is called. :)

Still, a good option for a small, early investment from the Plainsmen.

Is the same as the Seattle Saracens or different outfit?


Different. The MLR teams have pretty much come in with private backing.

My understanding is that, even if MLR dabbled with the idea (when bootstrapping the new comp a year or so back) of having their teams formed from existing clubs, all the teams are now new, separate entities ... even if there are (limited) tie-ins between some (pro) MLR teams and the existing (amateur or semi-pro) clubs.

One example is the Glendale Raptors ... now, that name previously applied to an elite amateur club with men's and women's division one teams, but the club re-branded to the name "Glendale Merlins" for these amateur (or mostly amateur) teams ... leaving the Raptors name to be carried on by the MLR team ... as a separate entity.

RE: Seattle, the Seawolves have signed several Saracens players. But they're not one and the same.


It's all for the best. The club structure just doesn't work for pro sport. At least not here in the U.S.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:30 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 6155
Location: LOL! WISDOM!
guy smiley wrote:
Turbogoat wrote:
Could they not have come up with a more appropriate name than "Major Rugby League"???


Yeah.. Major League Rugby would have been a better fit.

Anyway.. this is the beginning of the beginning here folks.

major union rugby


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:39 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 26278
Flyin Ryan wrote:
It's all for the best. The club structure just doesn't work for pro sport. At least not here in the U.S.

Yeah.

It also insulates the amateurs from the more speculative activities of the pros.

Even in cases where professional teams grew from old-style clubs (I'll take Australian examples, here) ... and these entities are still called as such ... they've moved on from the pure "club" ethos. Theyre now sports businesses.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:34 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 7870
Location: A gaf in Bracknell
I would have probably called it Modern Major Genereal Rugby. MMGR.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:43 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 11976
Location: Indiana
It's Major League Rugby, taking after Major League Soccer (MLS) and Major League Baseball (mostly just called "the majors").


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:37 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 14182
Location: Coalfalls
Jensrsa wrote:
Quote:
The Canterbury Rugby Union and Crusaders have taken minority ownership stakes in the Seattle Seawolves.

The Seawolves were formed last year and will participate in America's new professional rugby competition, Major Rugby League, which kicks off in April.

'As the oldest rugby organisation in New Zealand we are excited to have secured a small stake in the future of professional rugby in the US,' said Nathan Godgrey, Canterbury Rugby CEO.

'We look forward to sharing our expertise of developing some of the world's best rugby players with the Seawolves.'

Crusaders chief executive Hamish Riach said his franchise would be looking to help the Seawolves.

'Our goal is to assist them with their entry into professional rugby in the US. We look forward to helping where we can and supporting them in their exciting journey to be a successful professional team and club.'

http://www.sarugbymag.co.za/blog/details/crusaders-buy-into-usa-team


I for one applaud this bold move acrross the water and await news of the 'tahs forging a financial relationship with the Fresno Frontbottoms.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:35 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 18912
Location: Adelaide via Sydney and Patea
houtkabouter wrote:
I would have probably called it Modern Major Genereal Rugby. MMGR.


Major Major Major Major...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:56 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 21301
Location: Centre of the Universe
'Saders taking their poaching beyond the North Island, then? Good for them.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:06 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 15145
Location: Auckland, NZ, Earth
The Evil Empire with more hands in more pies.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:42 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 17872
A recommendation from their new American employee ROG, no doubt.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:56 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 38099
Location: in transit
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:22 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 2678
Taranaki Snapper wrote:
houtkabouter wrote:
I would have probably called it Modern Major Genereal Rugby. MMGR.


Major Major Major Major...


:thumbup:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:22 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 14340
Location: XPAT CUNT
Taranaki Snapper wrote:
houtkabouter wrote:
I would have probably called it Modern Major Genereal Rugby. MMGR.


Major Major Major Major...


:lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:38 am 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 18470
Quote:
Godfrey said that the Canterbury Rugby Union and the Crusaders ultimately hope to develop better fan experience in New Zealand through observation of the Seattle Seawolves' fan base interaction.

"We certainly think we can learn a few things from them around fan experience," he said.

"They have really successful sport franchises over there … We sent our commercial marketing team over to Seattle before Christmas and they spent a week over there just immersed in that environment ... They do it very well over there"

"It's that sense of the fan journey, from the cradle to the grave, and it's passed on through generations, but at the end of the day you've got to make sure you're putting on a good experience and a good product on game day."

"I do think there's room for improvement in terms of how we do things in New Zealand."

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/rugby/news/article.cfm?c_id=80&objectid=11993823


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ] 

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 749a, assfly, Cullen, Dimebag, DOB, eugenefraxby, Google Adsense [Bot], happyhooker, Hong Kong, Jensrsa, Laurent, Macrosan, Sonny Blount, UncleFB, Wendigo7, WoodlandsRFC, Yourmother and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group