Chat Forum
It is currently Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:59 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT!
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:26 am 

kiwinoz wrote:
How many BJJ guys have actually trained on concrete /asphalt etc? Ground fighting on a mat is completely different. Throw in someone who can gouge eyes, bite, grab ya balls etc and its not BJJ now, add a weapon ie rock, bottle, knife, stick and its another level again.

Concrete and asphalt? Makes no difference. Its like shagging on the carpet, you only notice your knees are f**ked when you jump in the shower the next day.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:30 am 

Kiwias wrote:
Chips wrote:
jolindien wrote:
Chips wrote:
Has anyone ever seen a boxer* in a street fight? It's quite extraordinary to see actually.

An actual boxer, not a bloke who thinks he can box.

so tell us more now...

You have to see it to believe it really but boxers are like supermen. The pissed up bloke wind milling towards the boxer literally won't get near to hitting the boxer. Their economy of movement is also seriously impressive, just footwork and head movement then if he he feels like it, the boxer can hit the non-boxer with just light jabs that will devastate him.

It certainly straightens the aggressor up sharpish.

I have seen a very good boxer do that to 3-4 drunks at a pub in Nelson on New Year's eve.

Yes, boxing is very under-rated when it comes to being a street-fight imo. Not because I'm a good boxer (although I do take beginner classes and spar). As I've been saying all along, any combat sport that actually involves real, hard sparring is going to be useful if you're good at it.

Uthikoloshe wrote:
kiwinoz wrote:
How many BJJ guys have actually trained on concrete /asphalt etc? Ground fighting on a mat is completely different. Throw in someone who can gouge eyes, bite, grab ya balls etc and its not BJJ now, add a weapon ie rock, bottle, knife, stick and its another level again.

Concrete and asphalt? Makes no difference. Its like shagging on the carpet, you only notice your knees are f**ked when you jump in the shower the next day.

Yes, this. Although tbh I sure as shit notice the rash building up on my titties and under my arms and between my thighs. Time to invest in a rash vest and tights under the gi. But yes, it's not as if you're going to be worrying about a rash if you're forced to defend yourself in the street.

As for the rest of it (biting, gouging, etc.) - that's irrelevant. Are those things going to be a non-issue if you haven't trained in BJJ? Of course not. Look, nobody wants to be in a fight, and nobody thinks that boxing or BJJ or wrestling or anything else is some magic bullet that's going to ensure you win and keep you safe. Just that if it comes to the crunch, whatever the circumstances, you're better off with it than without it.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:14 am 

So had to report it in person to the police, went smoother than expected. Apparently cctv definitely in the area but I will likely never see the footage unless it goes any further.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:10 am 

Grass.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:22 am 

Uthikoloshe wrote:
Grass.

could do with with some to calm these nerves, thanks mate :thumbup:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:23 am 

Touts out