Chat Forum
It is currently Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:19 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:31 pm 

This is my second go at producing an "official" thread. I maybe the only one posting here, time will tell.

But I love this guy. Don't always agree with him, especially on some of his quack diet ideas. But always worth listening to and considering with an open mind.

That said, I'll kick it off with this interview with the Google Manifesto guy. Apologies if already posted in that thread, I didn't bother checking. But one poster who I forget did predict it. Kudos to you sir, whoever you were.

https://youtu.be/uQ1JeII0eGo

But the aim is discussion about any and all of his podcasts, this is just the first one. If there are any other Rogan fans here... If not the thread shall die a natural death.

YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerfulJRE

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:17 pm 

There aren't many people who could interview Lawrance Krauss, Steve O, Jamie Fox, Sam Harris, and everyone in between, and make it incredibly interesting (genuine and authentic). The guy has an incredible knack for being able to relate to an extremely wide range of people - no matter who he is talking to it sounds like he is chatting to a good mate.

He is a bit too open minded at times and lets quakary get too much of a run but overall I think he is brilliant.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:31 pm 

Assessment right on the button imo. :thumbup:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:31 pm 

I am a fan. I don't agree with some of his sentiments, but you have to say he is intelligent, interesting and very funny at times.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:47 pm 

I like his stuff. He tends to lead his guest into some of his pet topics (UFC, drugs etc) and then lecture them, or take a deliberately contrarian point of view even it means he contradicts himself about 5 minutes later, but other than that he is very entertaining.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:10 pm 

The other brilliant thing is the 3 hour interview length (one with Sam Harris was close to 5 hours!). It means they can really nut out a topic and iron out any misunderstandings.

Not like a news-panel show where you have 5 guests answering "How do we solve the problems of the Middle East" in 3 minutes. I hate those.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:15 pm 

That football player Arian Foster was just one of the best things I've ever heard. From the opening about him thinking he can kill a wolf to his take on life. Just brilliant

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:58 pm 

I find it implausible that he's actually a comedian - an extremely successful and well-respected one - yet he's seldom if ever intentionally funny on his own podcast. It's most noticeable when he has fellow comedians on, he struggles to keep up.

He is a good interviewer though, open minded and generous. He's very good with crackpots like Alex Jones.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:30 am 

naki wrote:
I find it implausible that he's actually a comedian - an extremely successful and well-respected one - yet he's seldom if ever intentionally funny on his own podcast. It's most noticeable when he has fellow comedians on, he struggles to keep up.

He is a good interviewer though, open minded and generous. He's very good with crackpots like Alex Jones.

I find this puzzling as well. In saying that, the best interviewers are just great at shutting the hell up. Maybe that's why he's not trying to be funny on his own podcast.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:32 am 

He talks a lot during his interviews though.

Maybe he's just great at sitting down in a quiet room and penning some jokes, then saying them onstage. As opposed to going out and dropping spontaneous, off the cuff hilarity.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:34 am 

Thomas wrote:
naki wrote:

I find this puzzling as well. In saying that, the best interviewers are just great at shutting the hell up. Maybe that's why he's not trying to be funny on his own podcast.

I'm soooo refraining from making comments about stocky bald comedians who aren't funny, right now.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:44 am 

Heard a little bit of his stuff. On first impressions, I imagine he is what would be left if Nerdlucks stole Bill Burr's talent.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:50 am 

He's good to put on in the middle of the night if I wake up in a blind panic about the day's work ahead.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:51 am 

The best thing about him is that he introduced me to Joey Diaz and The Church of What's Happening Now. Now that is an interesting cat.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:53 am 

Oh yeah, and he's into DMT Like me

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:57 am 

mr bungle wrote:

Where do you even get it? Silk road or somesuch?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:58 am 

Stevus55 wrote:

Maybe he's just great at sitting down in a quiet room and penning some jokes, then saying them onstage. As opposed to going out and dropping spontaneous, off the cuff hilarity.

Very few comedians actually go on stage and do chunks of off the cuff material. The whole act is pretending it's off the cuff. Audience interaction aside, 95% of the material done on stage has been meticulously written and practiced.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:58 am 

Jay Cee Gee wrote:
Thomas wrote:
naki wrote:

I'm soooo refraining from making comments about stocky bald comedians who aren't funny, right now.

Next time on the radio I'll let you know. You can listen to me wheeze.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:08 am 

RuggaBugga wrote:
mr bungle wrote:

A mate grows the plant and makes it. Imported from the likes of silk rd, I imagine.

Haven't had it in a while, but it's amazing.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:10 am 

mr bungle wrote:
RuggaBugga wrote:
mr bungle wrote:

A mate grows the plant and makes it. Imported from the likes of silk rd, I imagine.

A couple of guys took it during my bucks night. I didn't. I was "resting"

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:13 am 

Thomas wrote:
mr bungle wrote:
RuggaBugga wrote:
mr bungle wrote:

It's all over pretty quickly, visually psychedelic, so I prefer that rather than 12 hours of cactus highs and lows.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:00 am 

Thomas wrote:
mr bungle wrote:
RuggaBugga wrote:
mr bungle wrote:

A bloke I know told me a hilarious story about him taking it on his bucks night. When his mates did the old 'tie him to a lamp post' bit, he was off his nut yelling about being a caged lion and freaking out passers by.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:10 am 

We rented out a 3 bedroom inner city apartment and got loose. My mates disappeared for a bit but returned wearing the complimentary bathrobes. One of them had also found an apple somewhere. He declared the apple to be, essentially, a symbol of human existence and that nothing should happen to this apple lest we all die and humanity gets extinguished.

Of course someone took a huge bite out of the apple and he screamed and hid in a cupboard for 20 minutes crying. He was cajoled out after a few guys convinced him that the section of bitten apple represented all the bad people in the world.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:19 am 

He's decent to listen to, and he gets a lot of good guests, but I've also found he has some fairly whacky and backwards beliefs.
He's also not as smart as he thinks he is.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:11 am 

Thomas wrote:
Stevus55 wrote:

Very few comedians actually go on stage and do chunks of off the cuff material. The whole act is pretending it's off the cuff. Audience interaction aside, 95% of the material done on stage has been meticulously written and practiced.

Well I know that, I just mean whereas most comedians (I assume, I know nothing about comedy) are probably decent at improv and showing it in interviews, maybe Rogan just isn't.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:32 am 

Floppykid wrote:
He's decent to listen to, and he gets a lot of good guests, but I've also found he has some fairly whacky and backwards beliefs.

When did he ever claim to be smart? :roll:

1006 - Jordan Peterson & Bret Weinstein was quite brilliant.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:45 am 

Love the guy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:33 am 

Thomas wrote:
naki wrote:

I find him hilarious. Dunno what you guys are on about. His mannerisms and anecdotes make me cry with laughter sometimes.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:05 am 

Uthikoloshe wrote:
Floppykid wrote:

When did he ever claim to be smart? :roll:

1006 - Jordan Peterson & Bret Weinstein was quite brilliant.

He routinely does the opposite. Asks his guests to dumb things down "for a dummy meathead like me".

Which is part of what makes him so brilliant. He genuinely entertains and reflects on schools of thought from all angles without judgement.

The one and only exception is diet and nutrition where he fully buys into some real quackery.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:14 am 

Mog The Almighty wrote:
The one and only exception is diet and nutrition where he fully buys into some real quackery.

Dr. Rhonda Patrick and her smoothies :nod:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:23 am 

Mog The Almighty wrote:
This is my second go at producing an "official" thread. I maybe the only one posting here, time will tell.

But I love this guy. Don't always agree with him, especially on some of his quack diet ideas. But always worth listening to and considering with an open mind.

That said, I'll kick it off with this interview with the Google Manifesto guy. Apologies if already posted in that thread, I didn't bother checking. But one poster who I forget did predict it. Kudos to you sir, whoever you were.

https://youtu.be/uQ1JeII0eGo

But the aim is discussion about any and all of his podcasts, this is just the first one. If there are any other Rogan fans here... If not the thread shall die a natural death.

YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerfulJRE

I didnt realise he was into Rugby too?
(in addition to martial arts, UFC and general politics etc)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:24 am 

Unless you're inferring that's my head (wouldn't be the first), then ... wot? He's not into rugby.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:27 am 

Just to point out, Rogan doesn't consider it an interview.
Its a conversation, he has no notes, no questions written down.

I think the best thing about Rogan is he knows that he can talk a lot of shit and get caught up in a moment.

The fight companions should be an option for fight commentary.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:29 am 

Everyone should listen to the molestation stories between Rogan, Bryan Callen and Brendan Schaub.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:33 am 

SASP wrote:

I don't know about that, I have already heard enough about the 10th planet causing tower 7 to collapse.

Last edited by Uthikoloshe on Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:33 am 

SASP wrote:
Everyone should listen to the molestation stories between Rogan, Bryan Callen and Brendan Schaub.

Can you put up some links please?

Schaub is probably my favourite of his regular guests. The two seem to have some kind of bromance going on, but it works and it's always interesting and amusing conversation.

Don't quite get Joe's bromance with Joey Diaz though. Diaz seems like a cool guy and an interesting character. But he also seems to blow a lot of hot air.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:35 am 

Uthikoloshe wrote:
SASP wrote:

I don't know about that, I have already heard enough about the 10th planet causimg tower 7 to collapse.

Are you confusing one of them with Eddie Bravo? He's the nutty conspiracy theorist. Who also thinks the earth is flat. :shock: :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:36 am 

Mog The Almighty wrote:
Uthikoloshe wrote:
SASP wrote:

I don't know about that, I have already heard enough about the 10th planet causimg tower 7 to collapse.

Are you confusing one of them with Eddie Bravo? He's the nutty conspiracy theorist. Who also thinks the earth is flat. :shock: :lol:

Those guys do the fight comentary.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:40 am 

Uthikoloshe wrote:
Mog The Almighty wrote:
Uthikoloshe wrote:
SASP wrote:

Oh yeah. I got confused sorry. The last one was just Rogan and Schaub.

Bravo knows about fighting. And nothing else.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:42 am 

Uthikoloshe wrote:
Mog The Almighty wrote:
Uthikoloshe wrote:
SASP wrote:

Eddie does a lot of that on purpose to piss Bryan off. But he is a conspiracy theorist for sure.
Sometimes the camera will catch him not being able to keep a straight face at his own nonsense.

As for Schaub I met him after his show in Dublin recently really nice and down to earth guy.