Chat Forum
It is currently Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:23 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1613 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 37, 38, 39, 40, 41  Next
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:48 pm 

The Facebook video of laidlaw and Russell in a club singing flower of Scotland paralytic is quality! They’ll be some sore heads this morning :thumbup:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:57 pm 

DragsterDriver wrote:
The Facebook video of laidlaw and Russell in a club singing flower of Scotland paralytic is quality! They’ll be some sore heads this morning :thumbup:

Yeah good to see some old school bevy after the game and celebrating a great win, might get a couple more dents on the cup. Laidlaw in true style ripping his shirt off :lol:

Enjoy it lads doesn’t happen often

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:51 pm 

It's just as well there's no game this cominh weekend. Hes fvcking steaming, couple of days to get over that.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:58 pm 

Chuckles1188 wrote:
Dork Lard wrote:
hey about that, Joseph was on my (and most people's ?) world XV in 2016. He was scoring tries every game, shattering the gainline on every hard run, making top tackles... now he's just some guy in that England backline. What's up ?

What's up is he's not a big guy so when England are getting pulverised up front there's not a whole lot he can do but try to force something, and defences are wise to his pace and footwork now so he gets very little change out of it. Nowell at 13 is something I'd be interested to see tried out, once Daly gets back

Meh, not convincing. Had nothing to do with forward play when he was just piercing right through defenses during 2016/2017. He looks like a version of himself that's just returned from injury or sth. No doubt he's not on the same form as the two previous years. He was a scary threat during those years, this year he's not a scary threat anymore.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:58 pm 

I like haggis wrote:
Chuckles1188 wrote:
Could well be, personally I've rated him from the get-go. Has the distinction of being able to make something happen even when his team are getting hammered, which for a guy who's not that massive is very impressive. Of course, part of it might be him being a bit of a secret, think defence analysts will start paying him some serious attention now. But he's the real deal :thumbup:

Yeah, you'd think they already are though considering he's Scotland's biggest threat other than Hogg. He's one of them who can beat you with an outside break or a sharp line - very hard to defend against.

Fwiw, nothing you can really do about his break for Maitland's try. That Russell pass just isn't something you plan for. How many players even think of that? I don't think any.

Russell all over. It’s a high risk pass. Overdo it even slightly and it’s an interception try. If you’re going to try it at all you have to nail it - which Russell did. You can say what you like about him - and many have - but he doesn’t lack self-confidence or cojones.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:17 pm 

Dork Lard wrote:
Chuckles1188 wrote:
Dork Lard wrote:
hey about that, Joseph was on my (and most people's ?) world XV in 2016. He was scoring tries every game, shattering the gainline on every hard run, making top tackles... now he's just some guy in that England backline. What's up ?

What's up is he's not a big guy so when England are getting pulverised up front there's not a whole lot he can do but try to force something, and defences are wise to his pace and footwork now so he gets very little change out of it. Nowell at 13 is something I'd be interested to see tried out, once Daly gets back

Meh, not convincing. Had nothing to do with forward play when he was just piercing right through defenses during 2016/2017.

You're right. It's a mystery for the ages what's changed. We'll probably never know

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:28 am 

Da iawn diolch wrote:
My (impartial) view would be:
Gordon REID vs Mako VUNIPOLA - ENG, by a mile
Stuart McINALLY vs Dylan HARTLEY - ENG, by a mile
Simon BERGHAN vs Dan COLE - ENG, by a mile
Grant GILCHRIST vs Joe LAUNCHBURY - ENG, by a mile
Jonny GRAY vs Maro ITOJE - ENG, but by not a lot
John BARCLAY vs Courtney LAWES - EVEN
Hamish WATSON vs Chris ROBSHAW - SCO
Ryan WILSON vs Nathan HUGHES - ENG, if Hughes plays to potential
Greig LAIDLAW vs Danny CARE - ENG, as long as the game isn't a kickfest
Finn RUSSELL vs George FORD - EVEN, the battle of the flakes
Sean MAITLAND vs Jonny MAY - ENG, in current form
Peter HORNE vs Owen FARRELL - ENG, by a mile
Huw JONES vs Jonathan JOSEPH - ENG, by a mile
Tommy SEYMOUR vs Anthon WATSON - ENG, by not much
Stuart HOGG vs Mike BROWN - EVEN (will be decided dependant on the type of game)

Perhaps Da iawn diolch could come out of retirement and give us all his thoughts on his pre match assessment?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:56 am 

I like haggis wrote:
Chuckles1188 wrote:
Could well be, personally I've rated him from the get-go. Has the distinction of being able to make something happen even when his team are getting hammered, which for a guy who's not that massive is very impressive. Of course, part of it might be him being a bit of a secret, think defence analysts will start paying him some serious attention now. But he's the real deal :thumbup:

Yeah, you'd think they already are though considering he's Scotland's biggest threat other than Hogg. He's one of them who can beat you with an outside break or a sharp line - very hard to defend against.

Fwiw, nothing you can really do about his break for Maitland's try. That Russell pass just isn't something you plan for. How many players even think of that? I don't think any.

Having watched it again, I think that came from video analysis rather than just being an off the cuff maverick move.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:01 am 

paddyor wrote:
I like haggis wrote:
Chuckles1188 wrote:

Having watched it again, I think that came from video analysis rather than just being an off the cuff maverick move.

Absolutely would have been highlighted in analysis, but not many 10s with the ballls or the skills to throw pass like that off their wrong hand.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:56 am 

frillage wrote:
paddyor wrote:
I like haggis wrote:
Chuckles1188 wrote:

Absolutely would have been highlighted in analysis, but not many 10s with the ballls or the skills to throw pass like that off their wrong hand.

Yes to all of that. Just meant that there is IMO something you can do about that break for Maitlands try. As one of the Scottish posters pointed out:

https://youtu.be/Wu7sbRWotZc?t=5m18s

It's something he has in his locker and he (and Jones) were waiting for Joseph to step right. Strong chance few of the English players have seen him do that. I don't think that takes away from it btw. After 2 sub par performances you come out and do that.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:49 am 

It was part of the prematch build up when they were analysing Englands defensive set-up it is guaranteed the Scotland camp was all over this as well and noticed that if they can it outside JJ it was on. It does help we have the players to exploit this as if it wasnt Jones, Hogg could have made the gap as well.

Russell does have the balls and skills to execute this as well though and a more conservative 10 wouldnt have gone for it or tried to and made an arse of it.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:59 am 

ovalball wrote:
englishchief wrote:
You've got to expect a Scotland victory. It's at Murrayfield, will be full of Celtic passion and intimidation. Scotland are resurgent, England lumbering.

Scotland should put us away by 14 points at the least, imo.

Don't be stupid - we are clear favourites. You could get amazing odds on a 14+ point Scotland win. It won't be easy but it'd be incredibly disappointing for England to lose this game.

That won't stop me being incredibly nervous though.

Just looking back through the early pages. I guess we didn’t quite manage 14. Wonder what odds you could have got for 12?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:27 am 

dargotronV.1 wrote:
Da iawn diolch wrote:
Stuart HOGG vs Mike BROWN - EVEN (will be decided dependant on the type of game)

Perhaps Da iawn diolch could come out of retirement and give us all his thoughts on his pre match assessment?

Don't hold your breath, trolls don't like daylight, as a rule. The Welsh variety in particular will be spewing this weekend.

The best thing was that this wasn't a backs-to-the-wall flukey win. We gave them a proper lesson. Very pleased for Barclay in particular. Very smart player, overlooked by Scotland for years and should have been a lion.

Shame we couldn't nab the BP, but that first 40 was a marker all right. Second 40 a solid defensive effort, the best I've seen from us in a long time. Couple of errors and the lineout was a bit of a worry, but that just means we can still improve.

England should worry about the lack of on field leadership and a functioning back row, but they will bounce back from this and France should be very afraid. English posters have been outstanding in taking this on the chin. :thumbup:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:44 am 

Smutley wrote:
dargotronV.1 wrote:
Da iawn diolch wrote:

Don't hold your breath, trolls don't like daylight, as a rule. The Welsh variety in particular will be spewing this weekend.

The best thing was that this wasn't a backs-to-the-wall flukey win. We gave them a proper lesson. Very pleased for Barclay in particular. Very smart player, overlooked by Scotland for years and should have been a lion.

Shame we couldn't nab the BP, but that first 40 was a marker all right. Second 40 a solid defensive effort, the best I've seen from us in a long time. Couple of errors and the lineout was a bit of a worry, but that just means we can still improve.

England should worry about the lack of on field leadership and a functioning back row, but they will bounce back from this and France should be very afraid. English posters have been outstanding in taking this on the chin. :thumbup:

I think we've sort of been expecting it tbh, or at least one he saner amongst us have, and I'd prefer to lose to you than pretty much anyone else.

I can't be arsed to go back and check who it was, but a quick hello to whoever called me an idiot for preferring McInally over Hartley before the game.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:50 am 

happyhooker wrote:
Smutley wrote:
dargotronV.1 wrote:
Da iawn diolch wrote:

I think we've sort of been expecting it tbh, or at least one he saner amongst us have, and I'd prefer to lose to you than pretty much anyone else.

I can't be arsed to go back and check who it was, but a quick hello to whoever called me an idiot for preferring McInally over Hartley before the game.

Here you go HH...

Da iawn diolch wrote:
I just want to be clear about this...
You'd take Stuart McInally, who has only actually been a hooker for about 20min, and has only managed a handful of caps at 27, over the English captain who has led them through one of the team's most purple patches in recent memory?

I'm no fan of Hartley (I really rate George), but you'd have to be mental to pick the Scot...

Hope they’re treating you well in the asylum today

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:50 am 

Keith wrote:
Ford over Russell
May over Maitland
Care over Laidlaw
Hartley over McInally
Robshaw over Watson
Hughes over Wilson

Every. Day. Of. The. Week. FACT.

I think it was either this guy or Da iawn diolch?

I did point out that putting ‘FACT’ after your opinion doesn’t actually work?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:53 am 

naki wrote:
happyhooker wrote:
Smutley wrote:
dargotronV.1 wrote:
Da iawn diolch wrote:

Here you go HH...

Da iawn diolch wrote:
I just want to be clear about this...
You'd take Stuart McInally, who has only actually been a hooker for about 20min, and has only managed a handful of caps at 27, over the English captain who has led them through one of the team's most purple patches in recent memory?

I'm no fan of Hartley (I really rate George), but you'd have to be mental to pick the Scot...

Hope they’re treating you well in the asylum today

Thanks, the basket weaving is coming along nicely

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:26 pm 

Chuckles1188 wrote:
Dork Lard wrote:
Chuckles1188 wrote:
Dork Lard wrote:

Meh, not convincing. Had nothing to do with forward play when he was just piercing right through defenses during 2016/2017.

You're right. It's a mystery for the ages what's changed. We'll probably never know

Eh well I wouldn't say for the ages, I'd say for about the next month. He's just not been nearly the same player for about I dunno a year, even for club I reckon the times I've seen him, and maybe if he's on avg form and doesn't offer that dynamism Eddie Jones is going to start looking at a Ben Teo to start at 13, just putting this out there.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:29 pm 

RFU to blame Scotland for tunnel fracas

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/spor ... -7lrww5fm0

Behind the paywall but the 6n have asked for a report from both Unions on what happened. SRU not commenting but the RFU to blame us, apparently...

Speculation on my part but it wouldnt surprise me in the slightest that something was said/done to niggle Farrell and he lost the plot as he has a short fuse, bit of gamesmanship but all part and parcel of the game imo.

Cant remember if i read it here but he is supposed to have had his heel clipped and stumbled and it all kicked off from there, although it looks like handbags more than anything else.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:32 pm 

Lorthern Nights wrote:

Behind the paywall but the 6n have asked for a report from both Unions on what happened. SRU not commenting but the RFU to blame us, apparently...

Speculation on my part but it wouldnt surprise me in the slightest that something was said/done to niggle Farrell and he lost the plot as he has a short fuse, bit of gamesmanship but all part and parcel of the game imo.

Cant remember if i read it here but he is supposed to have had his heel clipped and stumbled and it all kicked off from there, although it looks like handbags more than anything else.

Some bloke on Twitter reckons Farrell was strutting around like he owned the place during the warmups, Wilson gave him some verbals in the tunnel and Farrell kicked off. Not sure why 6N feel it needs to go any further, just a bit of handbags.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:34 pm 

Steamin Beamin wrote:
Lorthern Nights wrote:

Some bloke on Twitter reckons Farrell was strutting around like he owned the place during the warmups, Wilson gave him some verbals in the tunnel and Farrell kicked off. Not sure why 6N feel it needs to go any further, just a bit of handbags.

I have no idea what happened, but how does one strut round like they own the place. Go through a warm up and take a few kicks at goal?

That version just sounds like Wilson was being a gobby prick and Farrell reacted

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:36 pm 

Lorthern Nights wrote:

didn't think Farrell was affected all that much, I personally love all these niggle wind up things, fair play Scotland if this helped !

I can only think that to affect their game, Scottish RFU also did the following before the match:
Killed Mako's dog
Gave Cole some Ketamine
Killed Hartleys Granny
Took a shit in Itolje's Lucozade
Took a shit in Hughes kitbag
Found out where Mike Brown lived and Killed his dog, his granny, and shit in every item he owns, AND Special K'd his lucozade.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:37 pm 

Lorthern Nights wrote:

Agreed on handbags.

I hate the constant need for investigations. It was a little bit of niggle before a big game. Nothing more nothing less.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:41 pm 

Lorthern Nights wrote:

Not in the interest of the RFU to blame the Scots as Martin Johnson said that this was England's highlight in the 1st Half.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:44 pm 

Margin_Walker wrote:
Steamin Beamin wrote:
Lorthern Nights wrote:

I have no idea what happened, but how does one strut round like they own the place. Go through a warm up and take a few kicks at goal?

That version just sounds like Wilson was being a gobby prick and Farrell reacted

No idea. Perhaps he was gobbing off and just being a prick. 6N asking for a report is just a waste of time.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:47 pm 

Doc Rob wrote:
I like haggis wrote:

Russell all over. It’s a high risk pass. Overdo it even slightly and it’s an interception try. If you’re going to try it at all you have to nail it - which Russell did. You can say what you like about him - and many have - but he doesn’t lack self-confidence or cojones.

I think we can defend that try with May either coming up with JJ not not rushing up late only to get turned around. With Brown getting over the ball better. With Farrell making a tackle on McInally instead of missing with a shoulder charge, if Watson gets pinged for a neck roll on Farrell, and if England don't rush on the blindside before the ball goes out to Maitland.... But it's a nice score and it's good to see ambition rewarded, and Scotland showed ambition in taking a tap penalty and putting pace into the game, with the Russell pass, and then in quickly moving the ball and not seeking contact before Maitland goes over. The intent was just much better from Scotland all game long.

The big problem though is all this starts with England fouling up their own ball for no good reason. It's an England scrum, our 10 makes a break on our ball, and Robshaw is so slow to support I wouldn't be surprised if he still hasn't gotten his apology out. Fair does to Barclay for being much more alert coming off the scrum and schooling our openside, but not being able to support a fairly simple run from a 10 on phase 2 coming off a scrum is by any measure sodding abject, you wouldn't be happy to see that at schools level.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:48 pm 

Poshprop wrote:
Lorthern Nights wrote:

Not in the interest of the RFU to blame the Scots as Martin Johnson said that this was England's highlight in the 1st Half.

I did like it when POC and Johnson heard from one of the refs that there was nothing a ref could do before a kick off, that they laughed and wish they knew that back in the day.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:53 pm 

What a waste of time "investigating" some pushing and shoving in the tunnel.

Whatever was said or done clearly didn't motivate or psych up England anyway :x

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:55 pm 

I was away, gutted I missed this, is there a recording available anywhere? Couldn't find it on any Iplayer.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:56 pm 

Lorthern Nights wrote:
Poshprop wrote:
Lorthern Nights wrote:

I did like it when POC and Johnson heard from one of the refs that there was nothing a ref could do before a kick off, that they laughed and wish they knew that back in the day.

yeah - who knows what kind of skulduggery those nice chaps would have stooped to.
I recall Ireland getting all riled about Martin not moving off the carpet a few years back in the anthems.

Big D wrote:
Lorthern Nights wrote:

Agreed on handbags.

I hate the constant need for investigations. It was a little bit of niggle before a big game. Nothing more nothing less.

Probably agree but not seen the incident. Adrenaline rushed probably. But following that, we just went to sleep.

I can only remember one case of that in my playing career. I got socked by a 7 after doing a bit of wind-up and my 8 had a go.

He won. Ref nowhere and 7 did not make the pitch! He got carted off before the match started.

There were some serious questions at the "tribunal". Luckily we had a rugby playing barrister on our side.

He cost nowt that day. Helps to have relaitons in the professions.

100MileDad wrote:
I was away, gutted I missed this, is there a recording available anywhere? Couldn't find it on any Iplayer.

Should be on BBC iplayer. I watched it again yesterday and I'm sure it said it was available for 27 days.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:00 pm 

Steamin Beamin wrote:
100MileDad wrote:

Should be on BBC iplayer. I watched it again yesterday and I'm sure it said it was available for 27 days.

I am NOT going to watch that, ever again. I cannot believe we played like that.

I do not want to take away the terrific Scots performance. But we handed them that on a plate.

I'm so bloody angry I might go vegetarian. My family raise pigs and beef, so this is like walking on broken glass.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:05 pm 

Steamin Beamin wrote:
Margin_Walker wrote:
Steamin Beamin wrote:
Lorthern Nights wrote:

No idea. Perhaps he was gobbing off and just being a prick. 6N asking for a report is just a waste of time.

Definitely agree with that unless there's any suspicion something serious has gone on. Which I doubt is the case.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:05 pm 

SamShark wrote:
What a waste of time "investigating" some pushing and shoving in the tunnel.

Whatever was said or done clearly didn't motivate or psych up England anyway :x

WR have to do be seen to do somethings by after the BBC decided to nightlight it. There has been tunnel scuffles before that have been left alone by officials (as they should be if no assault takes place)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:15 pm 

Steamin Beamin wrote:
100MileDad wrote:

Definitely still is. Downloaded it last night.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:20 pm 

The worst thing an English rugby player can do in Dublin, Cardiff or Edinburgh is antagonise the opposition just before KO...

Farrell is a top class player but a bit thick too it seems...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:25 pm 

Big D wrote:
Lorthern Nights wrote:

Agreed on handbags.

Pretty sure it wouldn't even be getting investigated if the BBC hadn't made such a big deal of it.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:25 pm 

From watching the clip on the BBC it looks like Farrell reacts to something Wilson does to another English player, although Lord knows if Wilson himself is reacting to something else. Storm in a teacup.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:32 pm 

fatcat wrote:
From watching the clip on the BBC it looks like Farrell reacts to something Wilson does to another English player, although Lord knows if Wilson himself is reacting to something else. Storm in a teacup.

New angle, https://youtu.be/cw6VNmmx-Pg

It seems Wilson may have been verballing Ford, that's a jump on my part granted but Ford doesn't seem to very "into" the conversation if they were having one.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1613 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 37, 38, 39, 40, 41  Next