Chat Forum
It is currently Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:33 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: 10,000 steps a day
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:58 am 

This month I have been doing the 10,000 steps a day challenge to help raise funds for Cancer research. To do this I have been walking to the office which is about 4.2 miles so about 8.5 miles round trip. Add in walking the dog and all the other little walks you do during the day and I'm actually averaging about 20,000 steps a day.

Can any bordies beat that?!

Post subject: Re: 10,000 steps a day
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:03 am 

Chips wrote:
This month I have been doing the 10,000 steps a day challenge to help raise funds for Cancer research. To do this I have been walking to the office which is about 4.2 miles so about 8.5 miles round trip. Add in walking the dog and all the other little walks you do during the day and I'm actually averaging about 20,000 steps a day.

Did the Hampton Court Half marathon last Sunday, 28,000+ steps, so neh.

Cue Globus anecdote about teaching Roy Castle how to tap dance and racking up 1 billion steps in a day.......after curing cancer in his shed 'with a pal'

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:10 am 

I'm training for a double Ironman in about 10 weeks so ensuring time on feet. Averaging 35000 steps a day since Christmas, standing whilst at office desk etc.

Struggling to run at the moment due to a calf injury so walking is key. Will be walking plenty in the event anyway :blush:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:10 am 

There was one of those 'The truth about exercise' type programmes on the beeb recently and they reckoned the 10,000 steps thing was based on a bit of marketing for a pedometer that was released in Japan to coincide with the 64 Tokyo Olympics (something to do with the Japanese for 10,000 sounding like something fitness-related IIRC) - ie it was just random and not based on any study that showed 10,000 steps was particularly beneficial.

I suppose it is self-evident that walking several miles a day is a good thing, but the programme reckoned you could actually benefit more from 3 brisk 10 minute walks a day.

So on this basis I am actually considerably fitter than yow.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:15 am 

danny_fitz wrote:
Chips wrote:

Cue Globus anecdote about teaching Roy Castle how to tap dance and racking up 1 billion steps in a day.......after curing cancer in his shed 'with a pal'

Cheeky! I've run quite a few marathons for charity in my life and have organised a couple.

The first was in Huntingdon. I ran in a superman outfit.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:18 am 

globus wrote:
danny_fitz wrote:
Chips wrote:

Cheeky! I've run quite a few marathons for charity in my life and have organised a couple.

I bet it had a big G on the front.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:19 am 

Chips wrote:

It's contradictory you attempting to raise money for cancer research yet causing it with your attitude to others.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:22 am 

globus wrote:
danny_fitz wrote:
Chips wrote:

Presumably you found a telephone box near the start to change in?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:22 am 

ScarfaceClaw wrote:
globus wrote:
danny_fitz wrote:
Chips wrote:

I bet it had a big G on the front.

It was the logo of the Diabetes UK Association.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:25 am 

fudge steps, its squats you want to be doing each do to get fit. I do sets of 30 whenever I go to the WC

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:25 am 

Thai guy wrote:
Chips wrote:

It's contradictory you attempting to raise money for cancer research yet causing it with your attitude to others.

Really?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:26 am 

backrow wrote:
fudge steps, its squats you want to be doing each do to get fit. I do sets of 30 whenever I go to the WC

Having trouble snapping them off, eh?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:27 am 

Openside wrote:
globus wrote:
danny_fitz wrote:
Chips wrote:

Presumably you found a telephone box near the start to change in?

I arrived at the start on a roof rack of a car owned by a mate.

One of my staff was with me and she was dressed as Wonderwoman. She took the bucket to collect funds on the way round but on the back of a moped.

Great fun and we did very well.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:30 am 

globus wrote:

Jesus wept.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:31 am 

globus wrote:
danny_fitz wrote:
Chips wrote:

Which marathons did you organise?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:32 am 

Chips wrote:
globus wrote:

Jesus wept.

:lol:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:41 am 

danny_fitz wrote:
globus wrote:
danny_fitz wrote:
Chips wrote:

It's always the final flourish, isn't it?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:42 am 

danny_fitz wrote:
globus wrote:
danny_fitz wrote:
Chips wrote:

Huntingdon and the Bedford half marathon. I didn't do it on my own though. There's a hell of a lot to think about.

I got caught out on the Huntingdon one as the route went across the main line railway to London. The elite runners got ahead before the ruddy barriers came down! So we had a few hundred stuck behind them.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:44 am 

guy smiley wrote:
Chips wrote:
globus wrote:

Jesus wept.

:lol:

Keep Jesus out of this. Wot? It's for charity. I did my "flying through the air" bit. With arm outstretched.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:46 am 

globus wrote:

I'd love to see a photo of that. Please tell me you have one?

Do you know your time and position for that race?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:47 am 

My phone tracks this without me having an app for it, and tells me each day. I think it's pretty handy. Sadly usually only do about 4 to 5k per day unless I have to get out of the office, although I do cycle to work. Weekends would usually be about 15k or 20k.

When I was away in Berlin recently, despite just lounging in our Airbnb for the day, we ended up with 26k steps. Basically from the clubs and pubs at night.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:54 am 

Bullettyme wrote:
My phone tracks this without me having an app for it, and tells me each day. I think it's pretty handy. Sadly usually only do about 4 to 5k per day unless I have to get out of the office, although I do cycle to work. Weekends would usually be about 15k or 20k.

When I was away in Berlin recently, despite just lounging in our Airbnb for the day, we ended up with 26k steps. Basically from the clubs and pubs at night.

Walking to the front of the queue then walking to the next club? f**king Berlin.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:55 am 

I average about 20k a day.

They actually did a bit of research and came up with 15k as the one to go for as apparently that’s a postman’s average and they’re healthier than the average person when they’re older.

It’s really just a way to get people to move more. I think the average person does 5k/6k anyway, so we’re talking about an extra 20 minutes or so per person.

I would say 15k is a decent number to go for if you’re over 40. It probably only gets you an extra 400 calory burn which won’t make you shed weight quickly or give you much definition but can keep you ticking over u til retirement.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:59 am 

blindcider wrote:
globus wrote:

Sadly not. Divorce is a rather torrid affair. Lots of pics were shredded by the former Mrs G.

I think I got round in about 4 hours. But was collecting coinage on the way round. And bunging it into Wonderwoman's bucket as she caught up with me.

I made a packet that day. I had three sheets for promised donations. The first was for the healthy wealthy. I got a certain well heeled friend to sign up on the wealthy one first, then went around for others who were only too eager to surpass his generous offering.

The second was for the door knocking fivers and the third just for the people with tuppence.

Grass does not grow under my feet.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:04 pm 

I just checked my watch

Sat - 8k
Sun - <1k
Mon - 11k
Tue - 8k
Wed - 10k
Thursday - 7k
So far only up to 4kish.

Seeing as I'm hitting 10k near or near abouts without trying, it doesn't seem too hard.

...and yes, I was hungover on Sunday. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:05 pm 

Womack wrote:
I suppose it is self-evident that walking several miles a day is a good thing, but the programme reckoned you could actually benefit more from 3 brisk 10 minute walks a day.

So on this basis I am actually considerably fitter than yow.

I'm guessing:

Home to Kebab Shop
Kebab Sop to Off License
Off-License to Home

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:06 pm 

globus wrote:
blindcider wrote:
globus wrote:

Sadly not. Divorce is a rather torrid affair. Lots of pics were shredded by the former Mrs G.

I think I got round in about 4 hours. But was collecting coinage on the way round. And bunging it into Wonderwoman's bucket as she caught up with me.

I made a packet that day. I had three sheets for promised donations. The first was for the healthy wealthy. I got a certain well heeled friend to sign up on the wealthy one first, then went around for others who were only too eager to surpass his generous offering.

The second was for the door knocking fivers and the third just for the people with tuppence.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

What a pile of drivel

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:07 pm 

I average 6k a day.....thats what I am set on but could up it to 7 k.....

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:08 pm 

Do about 15k a weekday.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:08 pm 

Big Nipper wrote:
globus wrote:
blindcider wrote:
globus wrote:

What a pile of drivel

How much have you raised for charity?

Loser.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:12 pm 

globus wrote:
Big Nipper wrote:
globus wrote:
blindcider wrote:
globus wrote:

What a pile of drivel

How much have you raised for charity?

Loser.

Our family enterprise has helped establish 2 orphanages in the last decade, and donate bucket loads to other child welfare charities monthly

Too bad that makes me a loser

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:14 pm 

Good on you.

Then don't slag off others who work hard for charities.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:15 pm 

globus wrote:
Good on you.

Except in my case it is the truth.

Your stories are just that, stories, with little or no basis in truth

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:16 pm 

I’m always guided by Matthew 6:1–4 on such issues.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:18 pm 

Big Nipper wrote:
globus wrote:
Good on you.

Just come to Oundle. You might be surprised.

I see you are in the "Globus is a liar" camp.

Time to pull up the tent pegs.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:18 pm 

globus wrote:
Big Nipper wrote:
globus wrote:
Good on you.

:yawn:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:19 pm 

lolz, i have somehow got globus on ignore now ?!

wonder what I pressed to do this as I don't recall doing this ? ah well, cest la vie, I see he is still telling lies & one upmanship.
Big nipper, hats off to you & the orphanages, I haven't built any yet. I did used to go collecting for RNLI though.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:19 pm 

Mr Mike wrote:
I’m always guided by Matthew 6:1–4 on such issues.

I'm glad to find you read the bible.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:20 pm 

globus wrote:
danny_fitz wrote:
Chips wrote:

Wrong picture?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:20 pm 

Big Nipper wrote:
globus wrote:
Big Nipper wrote:
globus wrote:
Good on you.

:yawn:

Gotcha.