Chat Forum
It is currently Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:36 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1068 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 27  Next
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:28 pm 

Lorthern Nights wrote:
Did Gav ever lose to Ireland?

Ffs there was a generation of Romanians and Italians who had a 100% record against Ireland in the 90s. Christ, we were rank. :blush:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:29 pm 

Lorthern Nights wrote:

Interesting question.

During his 9 year career playing for Scotland, Ireland only won once, but I'm not sure if Gav was playing.

What I do know is that Ireland have only won 52% of the matches against Scotland played in Ireland. And of course overall Scotland have won 67 to Ireland's 61.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:29 pm 

So who are scotland going to try and choke now...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MFCCZlDa18

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:30 pm 

Edinburgh01 wrote:
Lorthern Nights wrote:

Interesting question.

During his 9 year career playing for Scotland, Ireland only won once, but I'm not sure if Gav was playing.

What I do know is that Ireland have only won 52% of the matches against Scotland played in Ireland. And of course overall Scotland have won 67 to Ireland's 61.

Only 7 years left, enjoy it while you can.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:32 pm 

nardol wrote:
Edinburgh01 wrote:
Lorthern Nights wrote:

Interesting question.

Such a record means less when you use the troubles in the north, started mainly by you to avoid coming to Dublin when Ireland had a genuinely strong team.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:40 pm 

MrJonno wrote:
nardol wrote:
Edinburgh01 wrote:
Lorthern Nights wrote:

Interesting question.

Such a record means less when you use the troubles in the north, started mainly by you to avoid coming to Dublin when Ireland had a genuinely strong team.

One game so even if we give you that, still bugger all difference. And Ireland were so strong Scotland won 4 out of the next 5 matches against that strong Ireland side.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:44 pm 

nardol wrote:

Quote:
O'Gara spoke about the incident for the first time yesterday. Who did him in? Er, nobody, he explained. "That's a myth, you know. It didn't happen. I did lose consciousness but not as a result of choking. That is an awful allegation to put against any player. I apologised to Nathan Hines because I didn't know what happened.

Read more at: https://www.scotsman.com/sport/o-gara-b ... -1-1433607

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:03 pm 

Lenny wrote:
Lorthern Nights wrote:

Ffs there was a generation of Romanians and Italians who had a 100% record against Ireland in the 90s. Christ, we were rank. :blush:

Good times though good times.

Civilisation peaked in the 90’s and it’s all been downhill from there.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:21 pm 

nardol wrote:
Edinburgh01 wrote:
Lorthern Nights wrote:

Interesting question.

We'll be beating them twice next year so only six years really :o

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:23 pm 

Lorthern Nights wrote:
Lenny wrote:
Lorthern Nights wrote:

Good times though good times.

Civilisation peaked in the 90’s and it’s all been downhill from there.

I’ve said this before, but when I was growing up, our football team always qualified for the World Cup (I was at University the first time they didn’t) and our rugby team were always in contention and won multiple 5N titles and two slams. That was normal to me. It’s been a long, hard comedown since.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:29 pm 

Diego wrote:
CM11 wrote:
Gavin Hastings wrote:
“Ireland, given the injuries they’ve had,” he explains, “they are very much a team who relies on the team playing well. I don’t think Ireland have the equivalent of a Huw Jones, Stuart Hogg or a Finn Russell.”

Discuss.

Well we don't have a Hogg equivalent.

Well Stockdale isn't bad at open play. Nor is Ringrose. :yawn:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:38 pm 

Edinburgh01 wrote:
Lorthern Nights wrote:

Interesting question.

He was.

1988: Ireland 22 - 18 Scotland

Tries: Brendan Mullin, SiL, Hugo MacNeil & Scott Hasting, Roy Laidlaw

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:39 pm 

nardol wrote:

Mite only Ireland that can choke!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:40 am 

For the spite element of the thread
1990's
Scotland-Ireland
Played 11
Scotland won 10 and there was one draw
Franno played in, I think 6* of these losses, which partly (possibly wholly) explains his bitterness when he discusses Scotland

*happy to be corrected - he might have missed one by being injured but the big fud never beat us - not even once

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:43 am 

Now do the next two decades

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:48 am 

malky wrote:
1990's
Scotland-Ireland
Played 11
Franno played in, I think 6* of these losses, which partly (possibly wholly) explains his bitterness when he discusses Scotland

*happy to be corrected - he might have missed one by being injured but the big fud never beat us - not even once

You are giving Franco far too much credit tbh. He’s a fcuking moron simply because he’s always been a fcuking moron.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:50 am 

Willie Falloon wrote:
Diego wrote:
CM11 wrote:
Gavin Hastings wrote:
“Ireland, given the injuries they’ve had,” he explains, “they are very much a team who relies on the team playing well. I don’t think Ireland have the equivalent of a Huw Jones, Stuart Hogg or a Finn Russell.”

Discuss.

Well we don't have a Hogg equivalent.

Well Stockdale isn't bad at open play. Nor is Ringrose. :yawn:

Wait until Carbery and Larmour find their 6 nations feet. Should add some sparkle.. perhaps a year too soon.

Last edited by YOYO on Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:50 am 

Diego wrote:

OK - now that we have fully embraced professionalism and got the academies in place we will win 7 matches in the next 10 years and then at least 8 of (probably) 12 matches in the decade after that

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:52 am 

Lenny wrote:
malky wrote:
1990's
Scotland-Ireland
Played 11

You are giving Franco far too much credit tbh. He’s a fcuking moron simply because he’s always been a fcuking moron.

I suspect a lot of current Irish fans have no idea how utterly average he was as a player - and assume he is some sort of historic 'great'

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:55 am 

Diego wrote:

+1 ........please!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:57 am 

malky wrote:
Lenny wrote:
malky wrote:
1990's
Scotland-Ireland
Played 11

I suspect a lot of current Irish fans have no idea how utterly average he was as a player - and assume he is some sort of historic 'great'

No. He's clearly a waffler.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:57 am 

Nobody thinks the windbag was that

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:59 am 

Franno is the hero rugby needs

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:00 am 

I vaguely remember him as a player but certainly not player to be relied upon for Ireland come the crunch. He’s not revered in Ireland as some sort of all time great that is for sure. He was athletic and talented but missing the X factor and consistency of a great.

I do enjoy his journalistic work from tims to time though. He talks a good game.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:05 am 

malky wrote:
Lenny wrote:
malky wrote:
1990's
Scotland-Ireland
Played 11

I think a bit more perspective is needed here.

I'm no fan of Franno having played against him. But in fairness he was capped at international level at schoolboy, underage, and senior level, in an era when there were fewer opportunities to play international level (less teams, less fixtures etc).

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:10 am 

malky wrote:
Lenny wrote:
malky wrote:
1990's
Scotland-Ireland
Played 11

I suspect you are worrying unnecessarily. It’s undeniable that he had huge potential but both his heart and brain were pea sized, and I don’t know anybody who watched him in those years for whom he isn’t a figure of both fun and contempt. Let’s put it this way, in many parts of Ireland Tony Copsey would never have to buy a drink.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:12 am 

FRanno was a good international player. No one pretends he was a great and neither does he to be fair.
He does of course suffer a little from the fact he kept munster players out of the team.

His writing falls into the category of sometimes funny to read with lots of opinions based on hunches and little evidence. A nice contrast to the uber nerds like kinsella who I do enjoy.
Compared to shit writers like thornley etc. who have nothing interesting to say coupled with a complete inability to read a game, I’d take franno all day long.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:10 am 

Edinburgh01 wrote:
feckwanker wrote:
Apologies - I meant the Championship. Getting old is terrible for the mind.

When did we join Australia, Argentina, New Zealand and South Africa in that second rate competition.

5/6 RWC's. Looking forward to another comprehensive loss for Scotland this 6 Nations. :thumbup: ;)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:41 am 

malky wrote:
Diego wrote:

OK - now that we have fully embraced professionalism and got the academies in place we will win 7 matches in the next 10 years and then at least 8 of (probably) 12 matches in the decade after that

:lol: :thumbup:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:50 am 

clydecloggie wrote:
malky wrote:
Diego wrote:

:lol: :thumbup:

As a Scot you’d want to hope so. Raised standards is what the NH needs. We’ll then pass out the SH and DOMINATE.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:31 am 

malky wrote:
Diego wrote:

Whilst Malky is pushing things a bit, it is true that Scotland have finally got their act together. I have no idea what other countries are doing, and we may well be just catching up, but even if that is true it means we will be relatively better than we were.

There are now far more effective structures in place tracking and developing players. Good players are far less likely to slip through the net, and like it or not, the SRU are now actively tracking a quite startling number of Scottish qualified players all over the globe. Where I think the biggest difference will come is in the efforts being made to develop referees, coaches and all the other roles that support the players. Good players will only take you so far, you need good coaches and support to make sure they deliver.

This does not mean we'll win a 6N again, but it does mean that we are less likely to be regular Wooden Spoon contenders if the development is maintained.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:38 am 

only 2 pro teams will prevent scotland ever having any long spell of good performances

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:39 am 

If I was a Scottish fan i’d be annoyed by the amount of non Scottish developed players in the Scottish squads. It was almost 50% for one of the 6ns match day squads. This means young Scottish born, breed and developed players are not getting a chance. I know Ireland has a few non Irish developed players, but in normally doesn’t go above 2 players in a match day 23.
Scotland (club and country) is too reliant on plucking players outside of Scotland to stay competitive.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:48 am 

The Scottish team looks to be where Ireland were for a lot of the 6N, decent starting 15 but not a lot of depth. As such we could always pull off decent victories but found it hard to get enough wins against the decent team(s) at the time to challenge for the title.

In 09 we had practically zero injuries. Think we only used 22 players in the entire campaign.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:49 am 

Tadhg and Hendo back!

That is all :smug: :P :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:49 am 

nardol wrote:
only 2 pro teams will prevent scotland ever having any long spell of good performances

I disagree that two clubs will stop Scotland being consistently competitive, though it is a significant issue if we want to be truly world class.

I don't like it and wish we had more, but it does mean that in order to get a pro contract a young player needs to be outstanding. It does mean Scotland can lack depth, and it does mean potentially excellent players (especially late developers) may not get contracts. So although it may not mean all the good players are picked up, if the system is working well the two clubs should be consistently decent.

Last edited by Edinburgh01 on Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:51 am 

CM11 wrote:
The Scottish team looks to be where Ireland were for a lot of the 6N, decent starting 15 but not a lot of depth. As such we could always pull off decent victories but found it hard to get enough wins against the decent team(s) at the time to challenge for the title.

In 09 we had practically zero injuries. Think we only used 22 players in the entire campaign.

Hence my last line in my post above yours.

Last edited by Edinburgh01 on Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:51 am 

4 injuries to a scottish squad and youre already fooked

Like Ireland from 1879 - 2017

And that was with 4 pro teams on paper for the majority of the pro era

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:54 am 

nardol wrote:
4 injuries to a scottish squad and youre already fooked

Like Ireland for the last 18 years

You do know that in the AIs there were 6 props alone missing from the squad.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:57 am 

Edinburgh01 wrote:
nardol wrote:

I disagree that two clubs will stop Scotland being consistently competitive, though it is a significant issue if we want to be truly world class.

I don't like it and wish we had more, but it does mean that in order to get a pro contract a young player needs to be outstanding. It does mean Scotland can lack depth, and it does mean potentially excellent players (especially late developers) may not get contracts. So although it may not mean all the good players are picked up, if the system is working well the two clubs should be consistently decent.

I think its ok. Scotland select players from overseas. They have no issue with this. Whereas with the Irish setup players have to go away for a couple of years then re-establish themselves on their return. A minimum of a 3 year hiatus. Tadhg Beirne highlighting how annoying it can be sometimes to us impatient supporters!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1068 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 27  Next