Chat Forum
It is currently Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:15 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1068 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 27  Next
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:57 am 

Edinburgh01 wrote:
CM11 wrote:
The Scottish team looks to be where Ireland were for a lot of the 6N, decent starting 15 but not a lot of depth. As such we could always pull off decent victories but found it hard to get enough wins against the decent team(s) at the time to challenge for the title.

In 09 we had practically zero injuries. Think we only used 22 players in the entire campaign.

Hence my last line in my post above yours.

:thumbup:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:11 am 

YOYO wrote:
If I was a Scottish fan i’d be annoyed by the amount of non Scottish developed players in the Scottish squads. It was almost 50% for one of the 6ns match day squads. This means young Scottish born, breed and developed players are not getting a chance. I know Ireland has a few non Irish developed players, but in normally doesn’t go above 2 players in a match day 23.
Scotland (club and country) is too reliant on plucking players outside of Scotland to stay competitive.

The goalposts seem to move on this a lot according to what point is being made. Huw Jones is authentically Edinburgh-born but developed outside Scotland. Ali Price was born in England, but was developed in Scotland and graduated from the SRU academy. One of them at least must count as homegrown, but Scotland seem to get criticised for both!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:12 am 

Doc Rob wrote:
YOYO wrote:
If I was a Scottish fan i’d be annoyed by the amount of non Scottish developed players in the Scottish squads. It was almost 50% for one of the 6ns match day squads. This means young Scottish born, breed and developed players are not getting a chance. I know Ireland has a few non Irish developed players, but in normally doesn’t go above 2 players in a match day 23.
Scotland (club and country) is too reliant on plucking players outside of Scotland to stay competitive.

The goalposts seem to move on this a lot according to what point is being made. Huw Jones is authentically Edinburgh-born but developed outside Scotland. Ali Price was born in England, but was developed in Scotland and graduated from the SRU academy. One of them at least must count as homegrown, but Scotland seem to get criticised for both!

By the Irish as well. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:12 am 

Doc Rob wrote:
YOYO wrote:

So you are saying Scotland has 2 home developed players in the squad :?:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:15 am 

Doc Rob wrote:
YOYO wrote:

Not that I'm having a go but what do you mean by 'developed in Scotland'. Do you mean in school or once he left school?

We'd distinguish between those who came through secondary school in Ireland and those who didn't. Those who didn't would be considered exiles.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:16 am 

Smutley wrote:
Doc Rob wrote:
YOYO wrote:

Not sure what this comment is meant to mean, our strength in depth is purely down to our ability in recent years to develop more homegrown players than before.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:23 am 

Smutley wrote:
Doc Rob wrote:
YOYO wrote:

It's Yoyo, FFS.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:26 am 

Smutley wrote:
Doc Rob wrote:
YOYO wrote:

Not sure why you’re being so precious, Yoyo wasn’t trying to get a dig in or claim we’re any better. Have a look at the Irish rugby thread and you’ll see us constantly lamenting the inclusion of poached players . However as Stats said , we are developing more home grown players than ever and we have restrictions on the number of NIQs in provincial squads

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:29 am 

Nolanator wrote:
Smutley wrote:
Doc Rob wrote:
YOYO wrote:

It's Yoyo, FFS.

Not au fait with his oeuvre, but thanks for the tip.

I think we're already seeing an upturn in our homebrew talent, but no question we are playing catch up on the participation levels.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:52 am 

Conspicuous wrote:
Smutley wrote:
Doc Rob wrote:
YOYO wrote:

Not sure why you’re being so precious, Yoyo wasn’t trying to get a dig in or claim we’re any better. Have a look at the Irish rugby thread and you’ll see us constantly lamenting the inclusion of poached players . However as Stats said , we are developing more home grown players than ever and we have restrictions on the number of NIQs in provincial squads

I did not bothering answering YoYo because he brings this up repeatedly on different threads, which I certainly see as getting a dig in.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:53 am 

Lenny wrote:
Lorthern Nights wrote:
Did Gav ever lose to Ireland?

Ffs there was a generation of Romanians and Italians who had a 100% record against Ireland in the 90s. Christ, we were rank. :blush:

And Namibians lets not forget. #NeverForget

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:54 am 

Nolanator wrote:
Smutley wrote:
Doc Rob wrote:
YOYO wrote:

It's Yoyo, FFS.

Yes Nols, can you stop with your it’s yoyo and all this jumping to conclusions. It wasn’t a dig rather a valid point. I didn’t try to make out Ireland are whiter than white but we mostly play Irish developed players.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:55 am 

Edinburgh01 wrote:
Conspicuous wrote:
Smutley wrote:
Doc Rob wrote:
YOYO wrote:

I did not bothering answering YoYo because he brings this up repeatedly on different threads, which I certainly see as getting a dig in.

Is it not a concern then?
Back in the earlier days of the ‘90s, your teams were made up of developed Scots. The point made here that Scotland is catching up with professionalism is only partially true. Major recruitment from outside is a new factor compared to the ‘90s.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:07 pm 

It's a chicken and egg situation. It's much easier to grow the game if your teams are successful.

What we are seeing now is more quality coming up through the youth systems, which is a big plus for the future.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:11 pm 

Smutley wrote:
It's a chicken and egg situation. It's much easier to grow the game if your teams are successful.

What we are seeing now is more quality coming up through the youth systems, which is a big plus for the future.

We've improved at the Under20s levels but our under 16s and 18s are routinely beaten.

Everyone poaches as much as possible.

Ireland are about to cap someone who's played for the England saxons. Glass houses and stones.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:14 pm 

I like haggis wrote:
Smutley wrote:

We've improved at the Under20s levels but our under 16s and 18s are routinely beaten.

Ireland are about to cap someone who's played for the England saxons. Glass houses and stones.

"About to cap"

He's not even in the country yet.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:15 pm 

YOYO wrote:
Back in the earlier days of the ‘90s, your teams were made up of developed Scots. The point made here that Scotland is catching up with professionalism is only partially true. Major recruitment from outside is a new factor compared to the ‘90s.

You really don't get it do you? The UK is single homogenous legal, economic and social entity. People move easily around within it for all sorts of social and professional reasons as it is in effect the same country.

As a result, Scotland has always had large numbers of non-Scots born players, and always will. The 1990s were no different. Rather than rely on my memory which tells me this is the case I checked. 5 of the first 10 players capped in the 1990s were not Scots born.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:26 pm 

Edinburgh01 wrote:
YOYO wrote:

You really don't get it do you? The UK is single homogenous legal, economic and social entity. People move easily around within it for all sorts of social and professional reasons as it is in effect the same country.

As a result, Scotland has always had large numbers of non-Scots born players, and always will. The 1990s were no different. Rather than rely on my memory which tells me this is the case I checked. 5 of the first 10 players capped in the 1990s were not Scots born.

I understand the UK model and movement of people and so on.
Scottish rugby was properly Scottish in the ‘90s, there is no deneying that compared to the version today. But as was pointed out, success breeds success. If the current model helps in the long run to get a winning culture back and get the fans more interested in Scotish rugby, then its not a terrible thing. Ideally you want most of your teams filled with as many Scottish developed players as possible. I’d say at least 80%.. ideally 100%.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:29 pm 

Diego wrote:
I like haggis wrote:
Smutley wrote:

"About to cap"

I haven't been paying attention ..... who's this then?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:32 pm 

rfurlong wrote:
Diego wrote:
I like haggis wrote:
Smutley wrote:

"About to cap"

Mike Haley

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:40 pm 

Mike Haley can’t even get a game with Sake Sharks ffs.
It doesn’t mean he’s going to be an Irish international. Probably a cheap player that fulfils tight recruitment policy at Muster put on them by the IRFU. A FB spot left open after Zebo left apparently.
You’d be hoping a young Irish lad will take this spot.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:45 pm 

Diego wrote:
rfurlong wrote:
Diego wrote:
I like haggis wrote:
Smutley wrote:

"About to cap"

Mike Haley

thanks - just took a look at the 42.ie article on his move to Munster

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:06 pm 

I like haggis wrote:
Smutley wrote:

Ah here. He's probably not going to even be first choice for Munster.

Scotland are well ahead of everyone on foreign born players although I haven't seen the breakdown in terms of their parentage.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:13 pm 

CM11 wrote:
The Scottish team looks to be where Ireland were for a lot of the 6N, decent starting 15 but not a lot of depth. As such we could always pull off decent victories but found it hard to get enough wins against the decent team(s) at the time to challenge for the title.

In 09 we had practically zero injuries. Think we only used 22 players in the entire campaign.

This post is a couple of years (maybe 6 months) late.

Annoyingly, the positions where we do have quite drop off are ones where traditionally we have been strong - back row and stand off - but the rest of it is looking relatively good.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:16 pm 

CM11 wrote:
I like haggis wrote:
Smutley wrote:

Scotland are well ahead of everyone on foreign born players although I haven't seen the breakdown in terms of their parentage.

Haley will be capped in the Autumn. Only reason he's going to Munster is to play for Ireland. Lets not act all high and mighty about it.

Only Nel a project player. Berghan - granny, Swinson parents, Watson parents, Barclay parents, Wilson not sure , Maitland granny, Denton parents, Grigg granny.

Not as bad as it's made out.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:31 pm 

I like haggis wrote:
CM11 wrote:
I like haggis wrote:
Smutley wrote:

Haley will be capped in the Autumn. Only reason he's going to Munster is to play for Ireland. Lets not act all high and mighty about it.

Only Nel a project player. Berghan - granny, Swinson parents, Watson parents, Barclay parents, Wilson not sure , Maitland granny, Denton parents, Grigg granny.

Barclay was schooled in Scotland and played at age grade too ...very much developed through our system. Wilson is grandparent linked. They're all legit. And I wouldn't expect any reduction in the non-born & bred numbers. Low player numbers mean we can't afford to overlook quality players with a valid qualification ...we just might see them in the system earlier.

Bet Patrick Lambie wishes he'd taken his Scottish option now!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:36 pm 

Market Square Hero wrote:
I like haggis wrote:
CM11 wrote:
I like haggis wrote:
Smutley wrote:

Barclay was schooled in Scotland and played at age grade too ...very much developed through our system. Wilson is grandparent linked. They're all legit. And I wouldn't expect any reduction in the non-born & bred numbers. Low player numbers mean we can't afford to overlook quality players with a valid qualification ...we just might see them in the system earlier.

Bet Patrick Lambie wishes he'd taken his Scottish option now!

This is the ridiculous thing. Nobody would claim that Barclay was poached from Hong Kong, any more than they said Heaslip was poached from Israel. It doesn’t count if your parents happened to be in a non-rugby country when you were born - only if they were in a rugby country other than the one you chose to represent.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:42 pm 

There's no hard and fast rule really. Keith Gleeson would be an example of someone who was born in Ireland to Irish parents but was never really fully Irish. On the other hand Niyi Adeolokun qualified on residency but is pretty much as Irish as I am at this stage. It's a case by case thing.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:21 pm 

Match preview part 1 for the Scottish Rugby Blog:

https://www.scottishrugbyblog.co.uk/2018/03/ireland-v-scotland-match-preview-pt-i/#comment-93890

The best side in the tournament at protecting their own ruck ball meets the best side at disrupting their opponents.

The side least likely to concede penalties playing the side most likely to win penalties.

Going to be a fascinating match-up.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:54 pm 

15. Rob Kearney
14. Keith Earls
13. Garry Ringrose
12. Bundee Aki
11. Jacob Stockdale
10. Johnny Sexton
9. Conor Murray

1. Cian Healy
2. Rory Best (Capt.)
3. Tadhg Furlong
4. James Ryan
5. Devin Toner
6. Peter O’Mahony
7. Dan Leavy
8. CJ Stander

Replacements:

16. Sean Cronin
17. Jack McGrath
18. Andrew Porter
19. Iain Henderson
20. Jordi Murphy
21. Kieran Marmion
22. Joey Carbery
23. Jordan Larmour

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:13 pm 

Ireland by 14+.....

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:20 pm 

discoconway wrote:
15. Rob Kearney
14. Keith Earls
13. Garry Ringrose
12. Bundee Aki
11. Jacob Stockdale
10. Johnny Sexton
9. Conor Murray

1. Cian Healy
2. Rory Best (Capt.)
3. Tadhg Furlong
4. James Ryan
5. Devin Toner
6. Peter O’Mahony
7. Dan Leavy
8. CJ Stander

Replacements:

16. Sean Cronin
17. Jack McGrath
18. Andrew Porter
19. Iain Henderson
20. Jordi Murphy
21. Kieran Marmion
22. Joey Carbery
23. Jordan Larmour

Looks weak, obviously.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:27 pm 

discoconway wrote:
15. Rob Kearney
14. Keith Earls
13. Garry Ringrose
12. Bundee Aki
11. Jacob Stockdale
10. Johnny Sexton
9. Conor Murray

1. Cian Healy
2. Rory Best (Capt.)
3. Tadhg Furlong
4. James Ryan
5. Devin Toner
6. Peter O’Mahony
7. Dan Leavy
8. CJ Stander

Replacements:

16. Sean Cronin
17. Jack McGrath
18. Andrew Porter
19. Iain Henderson
20. Jordi Murphy
21. Kieran Marmion
22. Joey Carbery
23. Jordan Larmour

That's a strong starting team and bench...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:40 pm 

Scotland by the tightest of margins of 3 pts.

Need to save face with amicable Scots after my previous comments

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:51 pm 

YOYO wrote:
Edinburgh01 wrote:
YOYO wrote:

I understand the UK model and movement of people and so on.
Scottish rugby was properly Scottish in the ‘90s, there is no deneying that compared to the version today. But as was pointed out, success breeds success. If the current model helps in the long run to get a winning culture back and get the fans more interested in Scotish rugby, then its not a terrible thing. Ideally you want most of your teams filled with as many Scottish developed players as possible. I’d say at least 80%.. ideally 100%.

Repeating something does not make it true. I've not done a comparison other than the random sample above which you ignore, but even a cursory glance at the list of caps would tell you that there is very little difference between the 90s and now. FFS that was the decade that Budge Pountey got capped based on his grandmother being born in the Channel Islands.

Edit
Ideally I want the team filled with players who qualify for Scotland and actively want to play for Scotland, so please don't tell what I want.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:56 pm 

15. Kearney - Hogg
14. Earls - Kinghorn
13. Ringrose - Jones
12. Aki - Horne
11. Stockdale - Maitland
10. Sexton - Russell
9. Murray - Laidlaw

1. Healy - Reid
2. Best - McInally
3. Furlong - Berghan
4. Toner - Gilchrist
5. Ryan - Gray
6. O'Mahony - Barclay
7. Leavy - Watson
8. Stander - Wilson

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:57 pm 

Speaking of national qualification, I didn't realise Keet Wood's son is SQ, through his Mother, until the other day when Andy Nicol mentioned it on Twitter.
And Stuart Lancaster's son is representing Scotland at U18 this weekend against Wales.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:03 pm 

Steamin Beamin wrote:
Speaking of national qualification, I didn't realise Keet Wood's son is SQ, through his Mother, until the other day when Andy Nicol mentioned it on Twitter.
And Stuart Lancaster's son is representing Scotland at U18 this weekend against Wales.

Lancaster pere played for Scotland age groups did he not?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:06 pm 

Edinburgh01 wrote:
Steamin Beamin wrote:

Lancaster pere played for Scotland age groups did he not?

Yeah U19s. His Mum is Scottish.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:09 pm 

nardol wrote:
4 injuries to a scottish squad and youre already fooked

Like Ireland from 1879 - 2017

And that was with 4 pro teams on paper for the majority of the pro era

Scotland had 17 front line players out injured when they played NZ in the autumn. Suddenly last year depth stopped being Scotland's problem - so much so that I'd be happy to see any of the 3rd XV in the team, as I suspect they may be during the summer.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1068 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 27  Next