Chat Forum
It is currently Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:02 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2995 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39 ... 75  Next
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:25 am 

Wait for the bleating from the Aussies.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:27 am 

Chilli wrote:

You've never stopped

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:29 am 

grievous wrote:
Chilli wrote:

We've never stopped

Fixed for accuracy. ;)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:31 am 

Chilli wrote:

And right on time!

I believe that most of the evidence hinged on this encounter which was apparently deemed non-confrontational.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:34 am 

:thumbup:

Should be some good send offs in the coming Test.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:35 am 

Quote:
In his judgment, Heron said that he was not satisfied that Rabada's physical contact with Smith matched the "inappropriate and deliberate" definition covered by the ICC code of conduct.

"The key issue is whether Mr Rabada made 'inappropriate and deliberate physical contact' with Mr Smith," Heron wrote. "I am not 'comfortably satisfied' that Mr Rabada intended to make contact and I therefore find him not guilty of the charge under 2.2.7.

"I am entitled, however, to consider whether the conduct involved constitutes a lower level offence. I consider the conduct was inappropriate, lacked respect for his fellow player and involved non-deliberate and minor contact. The actions contravened the principle that a dismissed batsman should be left alone.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:40 am 

Rinkals wrote:
Chilli wrote:

And right on time!

I believe that most of the evidence hinged on this encounter which was apparently deemed non-confrontational.

On the Stokes scale that's positively sedate.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:53 am 

:lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:57 am 

Rinkals wrote:
Chilli wrote:

And right on time!

I think I remember this. Is this where they shoulder charged each other midpitch?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:50 am 

:lol: did not expect that, not guilty wow, interesting to see how the Aussie media handles it.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:58 am 

Happy he’s playing. The series would have been weakened by his absence.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:59 am 

Armbands for Smith

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:11 am 

Olo wrote:
Armbands for Smith

Shoulder pads, Shirley?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:14 am 

Beaver_Shark wrote:
Rinkals wrote:
Chilli wrote:

And right on time!

I think I remember this. Is this where they shoulder charged each other midpitch?

Yes.

Click on the Pic to go to the BBC article.

Jeff Crowe was the adjudicator that decided that the contact was accidental, but that "more could have been done" to avoid contact.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:27 am 

Looks like the legal team knew what precedents to bring up. Hardly an accident that Australia was involved after a spiteful build up.
Glad everybody gets to play but I still want stump mic on full.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:28 am 

Listened to Mpofu on 702 whilst coming back from a meeting. Eusebius put him on the spot by asking him how many wickets Rabada took in the last match. Answered without hesitation so clearly a cricket man.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:03 pm 

:lol:

I wonder if he'll be smart enough to dial it back a notch this match. Or if his captain for that matter.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:07 pm 

sorCrer wrote:
Listened to Mpofu on 702 whilst coming back from a meeting. Eusebius put him on the spot by asking him how many wickets Rabada took in the last match. Answered without hesitation so clearly a cricket man.

Cricket - an elitist sport.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:09 pm 

Thomas wrote:

I wonder if he'll be smart enough to dial it back a notch this match. Or if his captain for that matter.

Nah. I think he will try and bowel harder, faster, more accurate this time round.
ANd will answer fire with fire. Within reason.

The lad is defining himself, I love seeing such a character take shape.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:14 pm 

Crazy Ed wrote:
Looks like the legal team knew what precedents to bring up. Hardly an accident that Australia was involved after a spiteful build up.
Glad everybody gets to play but I still want stump mic on full.

They always seem to be involved in these incidents. The Aussie team will do their best to get Rabada banned for the final test so unfortunately expect plenty more verbals, hope Rabada keeps his cool.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:51 pm 

Interesting article on cricinfo hilighting the inconsistencies in the demerit system.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/22841052/lost

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:04 pm 

South Africa victimised again. Sad how much the ICC hates them.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:09 pm 

Dumbledore wrote:

We're just following their own rules on appealing a banning decision. Sounds like Rabada got good legal advice to me.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:32 pm 

Good for test cricket.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:38 pm 

Dumbledore wrote:

:?

So they shouldn’t have appealed?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:21 pm 

Thomas wrote:

Or any player with a suspension hanging over his head?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:22 pm 

Probably the correct outcome and very good for the series.

He should consider himself a very lucky boy though.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:22 pm 

Dumbledore wrote:

I don't think the ICC hate us, but, as the cricinfo article I linked to above demonstrates, there is an inconsistency in the way demerit points are awarded.

When Stokes and Johnson clashed mid-pitch and had a heated exchange, there was no sanction and the contact was deemed "accidental", when it was quite clear that it was anything but.

Clearly, belonging to the top three gives you a lot more latitude when it comes to the application of any sanction.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:25 pm 

Rinkals wrote:
Dumbledore wrote:

I don't think the ICC hate us, but, as the cricinfo article I linked to above demonstrates, there is an inconsistency in the way demerit points are awarded.

When Stokes and Johnson clashed mid-pitch and had a heated exchange, there was no sanction and the contact was deemed "accidental", when it was quite clear that it was anything but.

Clearly, belonging to the top three gives you a lot more latitude when it comes to the application of any sanction.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:26 pm 

Just to add that I really didn't think that Rabada's appeal would succeed, but now that it has, we will see how he responds to the inevitable Australian "banter".

I don't doubt that the Aussies will ratchet the comments up and Rabada will need to exercise control.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:27 pm 

Rinkals wrote:
Dumbledore wrote:

I read the article.... it is interesting to see an almost opposite judgement reached by the same match official to an incident a lot worse than the Rabada Smith one. Has there been any official policy statement issued since Johnson and Stokes that would lead to a stricter interpretation?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:10 pm 

Insane_Homer wrote:
Olo wrote:
Armbands for Smith

Shoulder pads, Shirley?

Yes, quite. :thumbup:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:16 am 

Rinkals wrote:
Just to add that I really didn't think that Rabada's appeal would succeed, but now that it has, we will see how he responds to the inevitable Australian "banter".

I don't doubt that the Aussies will ratchet the comments up and Rabada will need to exercise control.

Would it not happen the other way round?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:45 am 

Rinkals wrote:

As they should. Rabada is mentally fragile and now the ICC has given him the green light to barge into batsmen he has just dismissed. It's only a matter of time until he runs up and punches someone. If I was in the Aussie team, I'd be trying to fire him up even more.

What annoys me is that it sets the boundaries now. Will junior players now think it's okay to physically interact with players?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:48 am 

Thomas wrote:
Rinkals wrote:

As they should. Rabada is mentally fragile and now the ICC has given him the green light to barge into batsmen he has just dismissed. It's only a matter of time until he runs up and punches someone. If I was in the Aussie team, I'd be trying to fire him up even more.

What annoys me is that it sets the boundaries now. Will junior players now think it's okay to physically interact with players?

KG

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:54 am 

I, for one, fear for the game.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:59 am 

Wilson's Toffee wrote:
Thomas wrote:

Nah. I think he will try and bowel harder, faster, more accurate this time round.

4 pints and a Phal

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:04 am 

ovalball wrote:
Rinkals wrote:
Dumbledore wrote:

You don't think the demerit system is inconsistent?

That's fine: you are entitled to your opinion.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:07 am 

Anonymous. wrote:
Wilson's Toffee wrote:
Thomas wrote:

I wonder if he'll be smart enough to dial it back a notch this match. Or if his captain for that matter.[/que]

4 pints and a Phal

Posting on phone. But the Aussies might make his bowels churn ..

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:30 am 

Thomas wrote:
Rinkals wrote:

I think you are reading weaknesses in Rabada that you hope to see.

I think he's a young player in his early twenties who is finding that he has the skill and ability to remove high ranking batsmen and is being over-exuberant. If Australia think that he is mentally fragile, as you seem to think, then, indeed, they should try to exploit that.

If you fear for junior players because of Rabada's faint brush with Smith, but are happy about Mitchell Johnson and Ben Stokes clashing in 2014, then it does seem hypocritical.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2995 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39 ... 75  Next