Chat Forum
It is currently Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:20 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 674 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 17  Next
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:54 am 

slick wrote:
Rugby2023 wrote:
Edinburgh01 wrote:
He is utterly self confident, and come across as arrogant, but he is a good bloke. Do not ever go on the lash with him, you will lose.

Some years ago my son was playing for Watson's minis in the Watson's tournament. Whoever was supposed to give the prizes did not turn up, so Gav was roped in. Cue small boys asking 'Why is Adam's Dad handing out the prizes?' As far as they were concerned that was who he was.

Roll forward a few years. Adam is knocking over kicks from all over the park for Watson's, then he misses one from virtually straight in front. Wag in the crowd yells 'Just like his Dad'. Despite the general mirth, the boys are mystified. Gav laughed as loudly as anyone.

Fair enough, you never hear his fellow rugby players of his era say a bad word about him so it's probably strangers not quite getting him.

Met him a few times now and he is always very friendly and good for a laugh.

And therein lies the issue. Most of the time most of the Scottish are pleasant. However as soon as English Sport, Politics, Subsidies etc are bought into the mix the nationalistic ABE mentality kicks in and we get the usual shit spat at us. Unfortunately as it’s in their genes they can’t help themselves as per the thugs in that video. You can see the actual moment when the ABE gene kicks in.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:55 am 

DragsterDriver wrote:
He wheeled out a kiwi prop who talked about hatred for the English.

Telfer was suspiciously quiet this year so they had to wheel someone out to talk about hating the English :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:57 am 

grievous wrote:
No, I think you're sorry that didn't happen :lol:

christ, imagine it?

Grievous, spewing outrage. Pent up, bitter, delicious outrage. :nod:[/quote]
Yeah I'm so angry right now.......ted you have a tendency to pop your catherter a bit in here watch that glass[/quote]

Oh, you you, you scamp. :x

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:58 am 

dargotronV.1 wrote:
Scottish Rugby statement on Twitter

Quote:
Scottish Rugby is appalled by the verbal abuse suffered by Eddie Jones. The disgusting behaviour of those involved does not represent the values of our sport or its fans. The dignity Eddie and the England team showed on Saturday is in stark contrast to this ugly incident.

Good on them :thumbup:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:00 am 

Scrummie wrote:
slick wrote:
Rugby2023 wrote:
Edinburgh01 wrote:
He is utterly self confident, and come across as arrogant, but he is a good bloke. Do not ever go on the lash with him, you will lose.

Some years ago my son was playing for Watson's minis in the Watson's tournament. Whoever was supposed to give the prizes did not turn up, so Gav was roped in. Cue small boys asking 'Why is Adam's Dad handing out the prizes?' As far as they were concerned that was who he was.

Roll forward a few years. Adam is knocking over kicks from all over the park for Watson's, then he misses one from virtually straight in front. Wag in the crowd yells 'Just like his Dad'. Despite the general mirth, the boys are mystified. Gav laughed as loudly as anyone.

Fair enough, you never hear his fellow rugby players of his era say a bad word about him so it's probably strangers not quite getting him.

And therein lies the issue. Most of the time most of the Scottish are pleasant. However as soon as English Sport, Politics, Subsidies etc are bought into the mix the nationalistic ABE mentality kicks in and we get the usual shit spat at us. Unfortunately as it’s in their genes they can’t help themselves as per the thugs in that video. You can see the actual moment when the ABE gene kicks in.

Yeah, my three English mates I took to the game agree with you.

Snow Day from school?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:00 am 

Ignoring the usual spackers on this thread...

The behaviour in that video is outrageous, there's no place for it in civillised society. While the people shouting abuse at him must have known something about rugby they're definitely not rugby fans. Here's hoping that someone out there can identify them and they can be made an example of.

I've shared it on Stalkbook with a request that anyone who knows them makes a call to the local constabulary in Manchester

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:02 am 

Scrummie wrote:
And therein lies the issue. Most of the time most of the Scottish are pleasant. However as soon as English Sport, Politics, Subsidies etc are bought into the mix the nationalistic ABE mentality kicks in and we get the usual shit spat at us.

This specific quote is well put. I don't even think most Scots realise the change. There is a huge element that it's fine to abuse the English when certain things get kicked into gear. A lot of it is illogical and doesn't even make sense and they would be outraged if applied in reverse.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:04 am 

There's definitely an element creeping in to the game. Witness the antics in Cardiff at the Wales v NZ game, the horrible business in this thread, the homophobes in the Twickenham crowd who got banned after having a go at Owens and Nick Mullins comments about witnessing some sickening behaviour from Quins 'fans' at a game earlier in the season. That's before you go into the issues at SH games. (John Spencer being abused during the Lions tour, etc)

What is clear is that all nations have their dickhead elements, it's how we deal with it.

Is it soccer fans being priced out of football matches and turning their attention to rugby? Don't know.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:05 am 

eldanielfire wrote:
Scrummie wrote:
And therein lies the issue. Most of the time most of the Scottish are pleasant. However as soon as English Sport, Politics, Subsidies etc are bought into the mix the nationalistic ABE mentality kicks in and we get the usual shit spat at us.

This specific quote is well put. I don't even think most Scots realise the change. There is a huge element that it's fine to abuse the English when certain things get kicked into gear. A lot of it is illogical and doesn't even make sense and they would be outraged if applied in reverse.

Have you been to a Calcutta Cup game at Murrayfield?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:06 am 

The chances of this happening are quite high if someone has been on the beer all day long.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:09 am 

Saturnine wrote:
There's definitely an element creeping in to the game. Witness the antics in Cardiff at the Wales v NZ game, the horrible business in this thread, the homophobes in the Twickenham crowd who got banned after having a go at Owens and Nick Mullins comments about witnessing some sickening behaviour from Quins 'fans' at a game earlier in the season. That's before you go into the issues at SH games. (John Spencer being abused during the Lions tour, etc)

What is clear is that all nations have their dickhead elements, it's how we deal with it.

Is it soccer fans being priced out of football matches and turning their attention to rugby? Don't know.

When there's 60,000 to 80,000 people I suppose it's going to happen. In terms of reaction, only zero tolerance and stressing the game's values can work imo.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:12 am 

The guys involved probably feel like dicks, if they make an apology that should be the end of it.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:13 am 

eldanielfire wrote:
Scrummie wrote:

This specific quote is complete shite. Whilst there are some chippy Scots, just as there are some English whose knowledge of Scotland seems to have been formed by the more lurid tabloid depictions of ungrateful Scots spongers, most people of both nations get along just fine.

In fact, some of my best friends are English.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:21 am 

Rugby2023 wrote:
Jay Cee Gee wrote:
Of course it's scummy behaviour, but it's pretty naive of Jones to think he was gonna be able to use public transport without encountering similar issues.

Not really, it's Rugby Union after all, not oikball. One might have expected better tbh, sadly not.

This. Probably wendyball fans that just jumped on the rugby bandwagon now Scotland are doing well. Scumbags.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:22 am 

Edinburgh01 wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:
Scrummie wrote:

This specific quote is complete shite. Whilst there are some chippy Scots, just as there are some English whose knowledge of Scotland seems to have been formed by the more lurid tabloid depictions of ungrateful Scots spongers, most people of both nations get along just fine.

But why don’t the British have an anti Italian, French or Nordic hatred as we should hate them more than the Scottish hate the English?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:24 am 

Just saw that video. Pretty ugly really. Hate people like that, big men with a few beers on board.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:26 am 

Bullettyme wrote:
Just saw that video. Pretty ugly really. Hate people like that, big men with a few beers on board.

It's definitely not good, and I would never condone that behaviour.

Although, to be fair, they are right ...........

....... Eddie Jones is a baldy plum.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:28 am 

Scrummie wrote:
Edinburgh01 wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:
Scrummie wrote:

But why don’t the British have an anti Italian, French or Nordic hatred as we should hate them more than the Scottish hate the English?

You're over a century out of date man. Entente Cordiale.

Mind you, I keep the flame of hatred burning bright

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:29 am 

Scrummie wrote:
Edinburgh01 wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:
Scrummie wrote:

Telling people who they should hate and how much is certainly an endearing trait.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:32 am 

Doc Rob wrote:
dargotronV.1 wrote:
Scottish Rugby statement on Twitter

Quote:
Scottish Rugby is appalled by the verbal abuse suffered by Eddie Jones. The disgusting behaviour of those involved does not represent the values of our sport or its fans. The dignity Eddie and the England team showed on Saturday is in stark contrast to this ugly incident.

Excellent statement. Sums it up.

This.

Hope they are identified and shown up for the tits they are.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:35 am 

guy smiley wrote:
Scrummie wrote:
Edinburgh01 wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:
Scrummie wrote:

Telling people who they should hate and how much is certainly an endearing trait.

Not asking or telling anybody to hate just a asking why we don’t. I’m all for peace Bro.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:36 am 

There are lots of stories about Gavin Hastings being a total plum, perhaps they are all correct.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:39 am 

OK - the guys who gave the disgusting verbals to Jones deserve to be punished/fined. They probably regret it as we speak and an apology would show they can man up to what they have done. SRU statement covers it for 99.99% of Scottish rugby supporters. However for Jones to single out Berghan and Hastings is just way over the top and I suspect he just doesn't get the rivalry thing between us. Jones is a wind up merchant and if any coach takes things too far at times it is him.

On the Hastings comments - I come across both him and his brother regularly and both are very very passionate Scots however they are both good, honourable guys and Gavin would be horrified with what Jones as implied. He wouldn't necessarily be on my Eggheads team but he does not deserve the Jones accusations.

We Scots don't have many victories like Saturdays to enjoy and year after year have to put up with the patronising and mildly racist and offensive comments about the 'plucky jocks' from the ever infuriating Inverdale, Gassgut and the likes who sit smugly on the BBC stage having flown up the morning of the game complaining about the cold and the weather and who fly out immediately afterwards. Once again on Saturday we had the 'plucky scot' Nicol perched at the side of the stage almost out of view whilst Inverdale and his buddies warmed up for the steady march of England to the Grand Slam. Thank feck big Paul brought some objectivity to the analysis and focused on what Scotland did well rather than the ongoing 'what is wrong with England' debate!

The problem is most folk south of the border are oblivious to the ongoing, slightly offensive and irritating English parochialism that pisses off most Celts and wonder what all the bother is about when it is raised. Try waiting for the Pro14 rugby results on the BBC on a Friday night and all you get is the Quins and the Leicester results!

Listen the guy had a few verbals thrown at him and didnt enjoy it, it was mild compared to the shit thrown my way last time I wore a kilt down south to a wedding!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:40 am 

slick wrote:
Rugby2023 wrote:
Edinburgh01 wrote:

Yeah, I've always found him to be good value so surprised by the initial assessment of him.

Last time i saw him was at the Ryder Cup when he wandering back out of the trees after having a piss, declined to shake his hand on this occasion which he saw the funny side of.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:43 am 

I’m perfectly willing to believe that those four louts on the video are perfectly symptomatic of the whole of the Scottish rugby public

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:45 am 

shanky wrote:
I’m perfectly willing to believe that those four louts on the video are perfectly symptomatic of the whole of the Scottish rugby public

Yep. Skinny jean wearing fúcks

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:46 am 

dpedin wrote:
OK - the guys who gave the disgusting verbals to Jones deserve to be punished/fined. They probably regret it as we speak and an apology would show they can man up to what they have done. SRU statement covers it for 99.99% of Scottish rugby supporters. However for Jones to single out Berghan and Hastings is just way over the top and I suspect he just doesn't get the rivalry thing between us. Jones is a wind up merchant and if any coach takes things too far at times it is him.

On the Hastings comments - I come across both him and his brother regularly and both are very very passionate Scots however they are both good, honourable guys and Gavin would be horrified with what Jones as implied. He wouldn't necessarily be on my Eggheads team but he does not deserve the Jones accusations.

We Scots don't have many victories like Saturdays to enjoy and year after year have to put up with the patronising and mildly racist and offensive comments about the 'plucky jocks' from the ever infuriating Inverdale, Gassgut and the likes who sit smugly on the BBC stage having flown up the morning of the game complaining about the cold and the weather and who fly out immediately afterwards. Once again on Saturday we had the 'plucky scot' Nicol perched at the side of the stage almost out of view whilst Inverdale and his buddies warmed up for the steady march of England to the Grand Slam. Thank feck big Paul brought some objectivity to the analysis and focused on what Scotland did well rather than the ongoing 'what is wrong with England' debate!

The problem is most folk south of the border are oblivious to the ongoing, slightly offensive and irritating English parochialism that pisses off most Celts and wonder what all the bother is about when it is raised. Try waiting for the Pro14 rugby results on the BBC on a Friday night and all you get is the Quins and the Leicester results!

Listen the guy had a few verbals thrown at him and didnt enjoy it, it was mild compared to the shit thrown my way last time I wore a kilt down south to a wedding!

Gavin Hastings is a bigot.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:47 am 

shanky wrote:

And Eddie Jones of course, represents Australia :thumbup:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:51 am 

shanky wrote:

That’s the normal pattern round here. All other nations are subject to this assumption.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:53 am 

The news won't surprise anyone who's shared a bus, train, stadium, pub, pavement with a group of Scottish, Irish or Welsh fans.

It's strange, because England have a great sporting rivalry with other countries like France and Australia (I'd call the Australia rivalry our biggest, it's certainly the closest-fought), but I've never seen half the bigotry and abusiveness out of either of those sets of fans and you do from a set of celtic rugby supporters on a match day against England. It just seems to be 'accepted'.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:54 am 

guy smiley wrote:
shanky wrote:

Most broadly successful coach in history?

Winner, winner, chicken-dinner?

8)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:54 am 

slick wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:
Scrummie wrote:

Have you been to a Calcutta Cup game at Murrayfield?

Why?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:55 am 

shanky wrote:
guy smiley wrote:
shanky wrote:

Winner, winner, chicken-dinner?

8)

Cowed by hipsters. :nod:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:57 am 

shanky wrote:
guy smiley wrote:
shanky wrote:

I’d never thought of him as fat, a bit chubby perhaps, but there are much broader coaches out there

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:58 am 

naki wrote:
shanky wrote:
guy smiley wrote:
shanky wrote:

I’d never thought of him as fat, a bit chubby perhaps, but there are much broader coaches out there

Thread kiwi’d. :(( :((

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:58 am 

shanky wrote:
naki wrote:
shanky wrote:
guy smiley wrote:
shanky wrote:

Thread kiwi’d. :(( :((

Blame grievous

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:59 am 

dpedin wrote:

We Scots don't have many victories like Saturdays to enjoy and year after year have to put up with the patronising and mildly racist and offensive comments about the 'plucky jocks' from the ever infuriating Inverdale, Gassgut and the likes who sit smugly on the BBC
stage having flown up the morning of the game complaining about the cold and the weather and who fly out immediately afterwards. Once again on Saturday we had the 'plucky scot' Nicol perched at the side of the stage almost out of view whilst Inverdale and his buddies warmed up for the steady march of England to the Grand Slam. Thank feck big Paul brought some objectivity to the analysis and focused on what Scotland did well rather than the ongoing 'what is wrong with England' debate!

Bloody hell, people get frozen out of work, attacked, have racist political and nationalist groups against them and you claim that this is somehow in anyway racist and deserving of any negative feeling. Also WTF? The BBC only shows Pro-14 games domestically and your point about results is just false.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:02 pm 

Double wrote:
The news won't surprise anyone who's shared a bus, train, stadium, pub, pavement with a group of Scottish, Irish or Welsh fans.

It's strange, because England have a great sporting rivalry with other countries like France and Australia (I'd call the Australia rivalry our biggest, it's certainly the closest-fought), but I've never seen half the bigotry and abusiveness out of either of those sets of fans and you do from a set of celtic rugby supporters on a match day against England. It just seems to be 'accepted'.

Hate to be the one to break it to you, but as you'll see from the examples referenced in my post higher up the page, there are English fans equally capable of such egregious behaviour.

I've been at Twickenham myself when acceptable 'banter' from English fans around me has morphed into "f*cking sheepshagging plum" from a couple who let the side down.

I'm not daft enough to tar all English fans with the same brush, though.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:03 pm 

naki wrote:

Blame grievous

Is he broad, also?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:04 pm 

Eddie sometimes talks a fückload of tripe but giving him abuse when he’s just going about his day is just classless. It’s like hating the guy playing the small ugly sister in the local panto, it’s just theatre. Enjoy it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 674 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 17  Next