Chat Forum
It is currently Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:27 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 674 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 17  Next
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:45 pm 

Doc Rob wrote:
Mick Mannock wrote:
GSTQ is only played for one verse and lasts A LOT less time than every other anthem. If people find the tune so intolerable it would apply to everyone and would even be booed by all England supporters.

But it isn't the tune is it.

It is booed because it associated with England.

Those who boo GSTQ are no different to those football crowds who boo foreign anthems. Oafs wankers xenophobes bigots.

There's also the minor issue that it is a symbol of English dominance of the UK. The song that is supposed to unite us all as proud citizens of the Union is also used by England as their own anthem. It's not exactly subtle. Why would England need another anthem, after all? Everyone knows that the other bits of the UK aren't that important. It's like people using 'England' when they mean 'Britain'. There's a (largely unconscious, to be fair) assumption that only England matters.

I would also contest the idea that the English don't hate the Scots. Most of the time I don't think they take much notice of Scotland, but when they think the Scots are getting too uppity, a whole lot of contempt and nastiness bubbles up to the surface. We saw a lot of that in the run-up to the IndyRef. How DARE those Scottish people start to get ideas above their station.

Don't be ridiculous and chippy. There was very little of what you describe, very little. Most british always accepted it was a scottish decision to be made without interference.
But it was very much expected north of the border, and what little there was, was obviously blown out of all proportion and fuelled the racist propaganda of the independance party.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:45 pm 

Doc Rob wrote:
Mick Mannock wrote:
GSTQ is only played for one verse and lasts A LOT less time than every other anthem. If people find the tune so intolerable it would apply to everyone and would even be booed by all England supporters.

Those who boo GSTQ are no different to those football crowds who boo foreign anthems. Oafs wankers xenophobes bigots.

There's also the minor issue that it is a symbol of English dominance of the UK. The song that is supposed to unite us all as proud citizens of the Union is also used by England as their own anthem. It's not exactly subtle. Why would England need another anthem, after all? Everyone knows that the other bits of the UK aren't that important. It's like people using 'England' when they mean 'Britain'. There's a (largely unconscious, to be fair) assumption that only England matters.

I would also contest the idea that the English don't hate the Scots. Most of the time I don't think they take much notice of Scotland, but when they think the Scots are getting too uppity, a whole lot of contempt and nastiness bubbles up to the surface. We saw a lot of that in the run-up to the IndyRef. How DARE those Scottish people start to get ideas above their station.

I stand by my assertion that the booing is akin to the oft-mentioned jingoistic football shite.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:47 pm 

No sympathy for him. He has dished out worse himself. The shite about telling sexton he should quit the game with so many head knocks was right up there.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:18 pm 

croyals wrote:
Plato'sCave wrote:
The denial here is staggering. These issues blighting the game of rugby will not be quashed until some awareness is embraced

English fans can be boorish, one eyed and arrogant. Traits not exactly unique to us. But if you are honestly pretending that the rugby isn't an excuse for 'fudge the english' by proxy to a section of Celtic society you are kidding yourself, and while for most that's good fun, it has enabled the moron wing (which you have in almost exact proportion to us).
And please don't pretend that Celtic 'fans' trying to attack a 60+ year old who has had a stroke because he coaches England and has the gall to use public transport is a surprise.
Primarily English football fans ruined the experience of watching football for everyone because the majority stayed silent or enabled the morons. It would be a crying shame if the same happened in rugby, and I fear in the next 20 years it will.

:lol: you're reaching. He's not a frail old man no matter how you want to spin it. He's in a high stress job, and is on his feet and training most of the time.

You also pick most of your views on "Celtic society" out of your arse too, or some of the hard right bigots that inhabit this forum.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:21 pm 

Doc Rob wrote:
Mick Mannock wrote:

Nail on head.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:26 pm 

frillage wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:
frillage wrote:
Really, that's where you want to make your stand, your areseholes are less unacceptable than ours?

It's not a stand. Also it's isn't a binary thing, there is a spectrum. There is nothing strange about pointing out some behaviours are undesirable but harmless and some are clearly out of order and threatening. To pretend there is only good or bad is either obtuse or over simplistic.

But I am not arguing they are the same, I am pointing out to some of the English poster’s your fans (rugby and football) are not the saints being made out.

Harmless? They were trying to get a reaction from Chekai, got one and he was in trouble for it, hardly harmless.

Nobody has ever made out English fans are saints. The discussion was about the long ongoing broad behaviour against the English team in Scotland and Wales that isn't repeated year after year when those teams arrive in England. No one has claimed that there aren't awful individuals in all countries. In fact I specifically acknowledged it.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:28 pm 

eldanielfire wrote:
[. The discussion was about the long ongoing broad behaviour against the English team in Scotland and Wales that isn't repeated year after year when those teams arrive in England.

Yep. :thumbup:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:28 pm 

frillage wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:
frillage wrote:
Really, that's where you want to make your stand, your areseholes are less unacceptable than ours?

It's not a stand. Also it's isn't a binary thing, there is a spectrum. There is nothing strange about pointing out some behaviours are undesirable but harmless and some are clearly out of order and threatening. To pretend there is only good or bad is either obtuse or over simplistic.

But I am not arguing they are the same, I am pointing out to some of the English poster’s your fans (rugby and football) are not the saints being made out.

Harmless? They were trying to get a reaction from Chekai, got one and he was in trouble for it, hardly harmless.

I thought he got in trouble for calling the ref a cheating plum? maybe i was wrong.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:29 pm 

iarmhiman wrote:
Doc Rob wrote:
Mick Mannock wrote:

Nail on head.

Andy Murray - British when he wins, Scottish when he loses.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:32 pm 

Punter15 wrote:
iarmhiman wrote:
Doc Rob wrote:
Mick Mannock wrote:

Nail on head.

Plenty of examples of that.

I'll forgive them on Katie Taylor as her dad is English and she may be a dual citizen.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:35 pm 

Punter15 wrote:
iarmhiman wrote:
Doc Rob wrote:
Mick Mannock wrote:

Nail on head.

Was disproven. And was always just a joke. English papers call him British and Scottish papers call him Scottish.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2015/ ... ish-tennis

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:36 pm 

iarmhiman wrote:
Punter15 wrote:
iarmhiman wrote:
Doc Rob wrote:
Mick Mannock wrote:

Nail on head.

Plenty of examples of that.

I'll forgive them on Katie Taylor as her dad is English and she may be a dual citizen.

Maybe you could give them. I suspect like most of your generalisations that it isn't actually true and you just use a selective and one sided set of examples while believing that is the whole case.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:40 pm 

The Celts seem to be under the impression that English fan's occasional outpouring of St George's patriotic fervour that upsets them so much is the default setting for Celts when it comes to their own emotional output whenever they play England.

This is a difference missed consistently by the non-English on this thread.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:42 pm 

Chips wrote:
The Celts seem to be under the impression that English fan's occasional outpouring of St George's patriotic fervour that upsets them so much is the default setting for Celts when it comes to their own emotional output whenever they play England.

Who the fudge are the celts?

You're talking about the ancient tribe from 2,000 + years ago???

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:43 pm 

iarmhiman wrote:
Chips wrote:

Chippy fuckers

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:43 pm 

iarmhiman wrote:
Chips wrote:

The scourge of the pedant.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:44 pm 

Chips wrote:
iarmhiman wrote:
Chips wrote:

Fine ..then the British are the English for me if that's the way we're going.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:47 pm 

iarmhiman wrote:
Chips wrote:
iarmhiman wrote:
Chips wrote:

Fine ..then the British are the English for me if that's the way we're going.

Welcome to page 1. :thumbup:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:51 pm 

Would love to know why that phrase celtic nations is still used? If for linguistical reason then England is celtic as well as Cornwall is celtic. French must be celtic as well as Breton is celtic

It's moronic

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:53 pm 

This fred. :lol: Did someone spill someone’s pint?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:54 pm 

nardol wrote:
No sympathy for him. He has dished out worse himself. The shite about telling sexton he should quit the game with so many head knocks was right up there.

He probably cares as little about Sexton's long-term as you do.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:32 pm 

Just on the point from up the page on English attitudes to Scots/Welsh - I get very odd looks from non avid sports fan mates when I mention I don't support Scotland or Wales in games not against E gland. Most of the antipathy our way is purely sporting, with a lunatic wing notwithstanding

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:58 pm 

eldanielfire wrote:
Punter15 wrote:
iarmhiman wrote:
Doc Rob wrote:
Mick Mannock wrote:

Nail on head.

Was disproven. And was always just a joke. English papers call him British and Scottish papers call him Scottish.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2015/ ... ish-tennis

The better example of this with Andy Murray was the abuse he got when he said he didn't want England to win the 2010 World Cup. Yes, it was a foolish thing to say to a reporter (who was clearly fishing for exactly that response), and 'anyone but England' isn't a great attitude, but the degree of anti-Scottish nastiness that ensued was disproportionate. I also remember some frankly racist things that were said about Gordon Brown when he was PM (yes, he was crap at it, but it seemed to be OK to insult him purely for being Scottish).

Nobody from England will ever have the experience of seeing the supposedly 'British' media treat their own country as a sideshow to the main event.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:04 pm 

message #2527204 wrote:
Doc Rob wrote:
Mick Mannock wrote:

Don't be ridiculous and chippy. There was very little of what you describe, very little. Most british always accepted it was a scottish decision to be made without interference.
But it was very much expected north of the border, and what little there was, was obviously blown out of all proportion and fuelled the racist propaganda of the independance party.

Was there really? I beg to differ, having actually experienced some of it personally.

As for 'racist propaganda': tedious bullshit.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:04 pm 

It's this slipping into a Scottish independence debate?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:08 pm 

And the length of this thread is because the English are still sore at getting out skilled, out thought and out muscled by a better Scotland side who should really know their place and can't accept that as a result.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:09 pm 

iarmhiman wrote:
And the length of this thread is because the English are still sore at getting out skilled, out thought and out muscled by a better Scotland side who should really know their place and can't accept that as a result.

That's some stinky bait :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:17 pm 

iarmhiman wrote:

The question is can the Irish repeat the dose at Twickenham? Us 'neutrals' will be hoping they can. :D

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:19 pm 

Anyone, who thinks there is anywhere near the same antipathy, towards the Scots, from the English, as there is the other way around; is living in cloud cuckoo land.

I don't think we ever really worry about it though.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:20 pm 

booji boy wrote:
iarmhiman wrote:

The question is can the Irish repeat the dose at Twickenham? Us 'neutrals' will be hoping they can. :D

You can mentally rise yourself for a big performance which England will do against Ireland

I'm hoping we get the job done next week against Scotland and France do us a favour.

England will beat Ireland in Twickenham. Too hard to win away from home. Still think we'll win the championship though.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:23 pm 

ovalball wrote:
Anyone, who thinks there is anywhere near the same antipathy, towards the Scots, from the English, as there is the other way around; is living in cloud cuckoo land.

My flat mate from Coventry, readily admits, he can't abide the Jocks and Taffs.

He says beating Scotland in football and Wales in rugby is what most Englishmen want the most in sport.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:25 pm 

iarmhiman wrote:
ovalball wrote:

He says beating Scotland in football and Wales in rugby is what most Englishmen want the most in sport.

More anecdotal bollocks from the unluckiest of Posters.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:25 pm 

Doc Rob wrote:
Nobody from England will ever have the experience of seeing the supposedly 'British' media treat their own country as a sideshow to the main event.

Actually when the full might of the gutter press does turn it's sights on Scotland then the reply is usually a variation of 'this shit goes on all the time in England, we know this because we read it in your newspapers'.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:28 pm 

iarmhiman wrote:
booji boy wrote:
iarmhiman wrote:

You can mentally rise yourself for a big performance which England will do against Ireland

I'm hoping we get the job done next week against Scotland and France do us a favour.

England will beat Ireland in Twickenham. Too hard to win away from home. Still think we'll win the championship though.

I thought Ireland would win the Championship from day 1 - and still think they will. And, I wouldn't be surprised if they achieved the GS - tall order winning at Twickers but Ireland have just the right set of skills and game plan to beat England.

Of course, should Scotland beat Ireland (with and Ireland losing BP), the Scots may well find themselves wishing for a narrow English victory in the last game, while they run up a big score v Italy - which would be kind of ironic.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:29 pm 

bimboman wrote:
iarmhiman wrote:
ovalball wrote:

Poor bimbo :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:31 pm 

ovalball wrote:
iarmhiman wrote:
booji boy wrote:
iarmhiman wrote:

I thought Ireland would win the Championship from day 1 - and still think they will. And, I wouldn't be surprised if they achieved the GS - tall order winning at Twickers but Ireland have just the right set of skills and game plan to beat England.

Of course, should Scotland beat Ireland (with and Ireland losing BP), the Scots may well find themselves wishing for a narrow English victory in the last game, while they run up a big score v Italy - which would be kind of ironic.

Ireland won't get the space in Twickenham. England will want to play at very high tempo to stretch our narrow defense.

Ireland will look to keep the ball multiphase and ensure that if England do win, it won't be by much and we get it on points difference. That to me the likeliest of scenarios.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:31 pm 

bimboman wrote:
iarmhiman wrote:
ovalball wrote:

Yep - complete bollox

It'd be Germany in soccer and the Aussies in the Ashes - Scotland doesn't register that high with the English other than being a nice place to have a holiday.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:52 pm 

ovalball wrote:
bimboman wrote:
iarmhiman wrote:
ovalball wrote:

Yep - complete bollox

It'd be Germany in soccer and the Aussies in the Ashes - Scotland doesn't register that high with the English other than being a nice place to have a holiday.

Apologies I mean with regard to local rivalries within these Isles.

I know beating the Germans is the be all and end all for England but even so I think most one eyed English fan would concede a match v Germany now ( competitive not friendlies) would result in a 4-0 win for Germany such is the difference in class. Germany would see Netherlands as their main rival traditionally no???

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:52 pm 

Doc Rob wrote:

The better example of this with Andy Murray was the abuse he got when he said he didn't want England to win the 2010 World Cup. Yes, it was a foolish thing to say to a reporter (who was clearly fishing for exactly that response), and 'anyone but England' isn't a great attitude, but the degree of anti-Scottish nastiness that ensued was disproportionate. I also remember some frankly racist things that were said about Gordon Brown when he was PM (yes, he was crap at it, but it seemed to be OK to insult him purely for being Scottish).

Anyone but England isn't a great attitude is an understatement. But it also is zero f**king proof the British/Scottish references are actually real outside of some paranoid minds and some obvious light banter. As my link showed it is measurably been shown to be false.

And don't drone on about the English media, the Scottish and Welsh media's also will alter the emphasis and focus of stories. All 3 for example in sport will focus more on their athletes and teams and report much less on the rest. I don't see why English media gets singled out.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:18 pm 

iarmhiman wrote:
ovalball wrote:
bimboman wrote:
iarmhiman wrote:
ovalball wrote:

Yep - complete bollox

Apologies I mean with regard to local rivalries within these Isles.

I know beating the Germans is the be all and end all for England but even so I think most one eyed English fan would concede a match v Germany now ( competitive not friendlies) would result in a 4-0 win for Germany such is the difference in class. Germany would see Netherlands as their main rival traditionally no???

There's not much soccer rivalry within the BI these days. We don't play each other regularly and the Scots, who were traditionally England's strongest rivals, have been utter crap for ages.

England are still ranked 5 places higher than the Netherlands - so I doubt Germany would consider them as their main rivals.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 674 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 17  Next