Chat Forum
It is currently Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:22 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 292 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:27 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:28 am
Posts: 13531
I feel there's a real ease amongst some to dismiss the young in particular as being overly sensitive without considering what these sensitivities result from and what provokes these reactions. It's something I put some time into considering myself. Is it something quite so simple as ourselves taking the march of progress for granted, that no step back could possibly be taken, then when there is a percieved step backwards this causes a tremendous shock and anger?


Last edited by unseenwork on Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:28 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 15394
unseenwork wrote:
fatcat wrote:
I think you two are giving a bit too much respect to these hyper-emotional jessies.

And I'd say you much too little.


After watching you get bent all over the place on this thread I doubt there are any posters left who gives 2 figs about anything that you think.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:35 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:56 pm
Posts: 6289
100MileDad wrote:
Quote:
There are sacred words like diversity, safe space and free speech.


I'd be interested to know what the word "diversity" means to bored members?


It's a modern tertiary education institution.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:36 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:28 am
Posts: 13531
fatcat wrote:
unseenwork wrote:
fatcat wrote:
I think you two are giving a bit too much respect to these hyper-emotional jessies.

And I'd say you much too little.


After watching you get bent all over the place on this thread I doubt there are any posters left who gives 2 figs about anything that you think.

Ah cheers. :)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:40 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:59 pm
Posts: 550
Quote:
I feel there's a real ease amongst some to dismiss the young in particular as being overly sensitive without considering what these sensitivities result from and what provokes these reactions


Doesn't it really just stem from being bombarded with cultural marxism during the latter stages of their education?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:42 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:28 am
Posts: 13531
100MileDad wrote:
Quote:
I feel there's a real ease amongst some to dismiss the young in particular as being overly sensitive without considering what these sensitivities result from and what provokes these reactions


Doesn't it really just stem from being bombarded with cultural marxism during the latter stages of their education?

How many of these students are reading Adorno or Marcuse?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:44 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:28 am
Posts: 13531
The calls of a vast movement of cultural Marxists running our institutions has always rung a little conspiratorial to me.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:46 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 11036
unseenwork wrote:
The calls of a vast movement of cultural Marxists running our institutions has always rung a little conspiratorial to me.



This is DAC.

We are all leftists allowing the Muslims to take over our lands and nations with destruction and acculturation as their only goals.

There's him, then the poster with no shame and a few others like that.

They provide a distraction when they are not banned from the bored.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:47 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:59 pm
Posts: 550
unseenwork wrote:
100MileDad wrote:
Quote:
I feel there's a real ease amongst some to dismiss the young in particular as being overly sensitive without considering what these sensitivities result from and what provokes these reactions


Doesn't it really just stem from being bombarded with cultural marxism during the latter stages of their education?

How many of these students are reading Adorno or Marcuse?


I'm talking about their tutors and lecturers.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:48 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:59 pm
Posts: 550
Quote:
The calls of a vast movement of cultural Marxists running our institutions has always rung a little conspiratorial to me.


That's because you're one of the effected. It's plain for most people to see.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:50 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:28 am
Posts: 13531
100MileDad wrote:
Quote:
The calls of a vast movement of cultural Marxists running our institutions has always rung a little conspiratorial to me.


That's because you're one of the effected. It's plain for most people to see.

Ah. Well then we the walking dead will come to subsume you all!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:03 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 3212
unseenwork wrote:
The calls of a vast movement of cultural Marxists running our institutions has always rung a little conspiratorial to me.


Well let's leave aside the tag of Cultural Marxist. It gets people riled up and the point often gets lost. And let's leave the student bodies to one side too. They're not really part of the gripe re the institutions being manned much more by one side than the other.

However, there are clear signs that the proportion of faculty of a left leaning persuasion has rocketed vs those of a right leaning persuasion over the last 20/30 years. Certainly in the US.

If you're interested, here's a link to relevant data on the issue. It assesses the ratio of registered Democrat to Republican across the economics, history, journalism, law and psychology departments of 40 of the US's top universities. They don't bother with the social sciences; nobody's seriously going to contest that one.

It is not a healthy balance. Not by a long chalk.

Here's the abstract: https://econjwatch.org/articles/faculty ... psychology

Pdf's on the left.

Also have a look at Jonathan Haidt's research into the issue. There are numerous talks he's given that are on youtube addressing it.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:04 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 31535
La soule wrote:
unseenwork wrote:
The calls of a vast movement of cultural Marxists running our institutions has always rung a little conspiratorial to me.



This is DAC.

We are all leftists allowing the Muslims to take over our lands and nations with destruction and acculturation as their only goals.

There's him, then the poster with no shame and a few others like that.

They provide a distraction when they are not banned from the bored.


You are beyond idiotic.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:05 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:56 pm
Posts: 6289
hermes-trismegistus wrote:
unseenwork wrote:
The calls of a vast movement of cultural Marxists running our institutions has always rung a little conspiratorial to me.


Well let's leave aside the tag of Cultural Marxist. It gets people riled up and the point often gets lost. And let's leave the student bodies to one side too. They're not really part of the gripe re the institutions being manned much more by one side than the other.

However, there are clear signs that the proportion of faculty of a left leaning persuasion has rocketed vs those of a right leaning persuasion over the last 20/30 years. Certainly in the US.

If you're interested, here's a link to relevant data on the issue. It assesses the ratio of registered Democrat to Republican across the economics, history, journalism, law and psychology departments of 40 of the US's top universities. They don't bother with the social sciences; nobody's seriously going to contest that one.

It is not a healthy balance. Not by a long chalk.

Here's the abstract: https://econjwatch.org/articles/faculty ... psychology

Pdf's on the left.

Also have a look at Jonathan Haidt's research into the issue. There are numerous talks he's given that are on youtube addressing it.


My department was the least politically diverse place I've ever been.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:08 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 3212
Santa wrote:
hermes-trismegistus wrote:
unseenwork wrote:
The calls of a vast movement of cultural Marxists running our institutions has always rung a little conspiratorial to me.


Well let's leave aside the tag of Cultural Marxist. It gets people riled up and the point often gets lost. And let's leave the student bodies to one side too. They're not really part of the gripe re the institutions being manned much more by one side than the other.

However, there are clear signs that the proportion of faculty of a left leaning persuasion has rocketed vs those of a right leaning persuasion over the last 20/30 years. Certainly in the US.

If you're interested, here's a link to relevant data on the issue. It assesses the ratio of registered Democrat to Republican across the economics, history, journalism, law and psychology departments of 40 of the US's top universities. They don't bother with the social sciences; nobody's seriously going to contest that one.

It is not a healthy balance. Not by a long chalk.

Here's the abstract: https://econjwatch.org/articles/faculty ... psychology

Pdf's on the left.

Also have a look at Jonathan Haidt's research into the issue. There are numerous talks he's given that are on youtube addressing it.


My department was the least politically diverse place I've ever been.


Your field?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:09 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:56 pm
Posts: 6289
By the way we shouldn't ignore the political leanings of students. placed in the context of staff proclivities it points to something like a purge of non-liberal politics from universities.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:09 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:33 am
Posts: 6604
Location: Stockholm
100MileDad wrote:
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/03/06/violence-breaks-self-proclaimed-antifascists-shut-alt-right/

Quote:
A group of people calling themselves London Antifa stormed a right-wing talk at a London university last night, with the intention of shutting it down.

Hundreds of people turned up to attend the talk, which was was put on by the Libertarian Society at Kings College London.

Masked activists grabbed microphones in an attempt to end the speech, which was by speaker Carl Benjamin


I can't quite make up my mind whether the "anti-fascists" are someone to be worried about or to be laughed at. I take it everyone agrees there was only one real group of fascists on display at this talk?


Forcibly silencing opinions that you personally don't want to be heard at Universities is not anything that has any even remoteably redeemable quality to it. And they're have to be pretty stupid to boot, not to be able to answer your question for themselves.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:09 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 11036
Seneca of the Night wrote:
La soule wrote:
unseenwork wrote:
The calls of a vast movement of cultural Marxists running our institutions has always rung a little conspiratorial to me.



This is DAC.

We are all leftists allowing the Muslims to take over our lands and nations with destruction and acculturation as their only goals.

There's him, then the poster with no shame and a few others like that.

They provide a distraction when they are not banned from the bored.


You are beyond idiotic.


I dont really care about your insults. That's the only thing you appear to be good at nowadays.

Let's just say that I was extremely surprised to find you posting on a thread where racism/freedom of speeches etc are being discussed by the usual suspects.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:10 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:59 pm
Posts: 550
There seems to be one way of thinking politically at University and one way only.

I believe the City University of London, famed for it's journalism courses, actually banned UK Daily Newspapers they didn't like from Campus??


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:13 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 31535
Santa wrote:
By the way we shouldn't ignore the political leanings of students. placed in the context of staff proclivities it points to something like a purge of non-liberal politics from universities.


The emergence of this strange category of YouTube vloggers is in some part due to the market failure in ideas caused by lack of ideological diversity in the academy. Students want to discuss ideas even if the platform is provided by third rate intellects like this sargon fellow.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:14 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 31535
La soule wrote:
Seneca of the Night wrote:
La soule wrote:
unseenwork wrote:
The calls of a vast movement of cultural Marxists running our institutions has always rung a little conspiratorial to me.



This is DAC.

We are all leftists allowing the Muslims to take over our lands and nations with destruction and acculturation as their only goals.

There's him, then the poster with no shame and a few others like that.

They provide a distraction when they are not banned from the bored.


You are beyond idiotic.


I dont really care about your insults. That's the only thing you appear to be good at nowadays.

Let's just say that I was extremely surprised to find you posting on a thread where racism/freedom of speeches etc are being discussed by the usual suspects.


Moron.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:15 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:59 pm
Posts: 550
Quote:
I believe the City University of London, famed for it's journalism courses, actually banned UK Daily Newspapers they didn't like from Campus??


:lol:

NOTE#

After it was pointed out to the students that the newspapers weren't actually on sale anywhere on the Campus and that the papers provided the most employment to University leavers the ban was overturned 67-3


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:16 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 11036
Seneca of the Night wrote:
La soule wrote:
Seneca of the Night wrote:
La soule wrote:
unseenwork wrote:
The calls of a vast movement of cultural Marxists running our institutions has always rung a little conspiratorial to me.



This is DAC.

We are all leftists allowing the Muslims to take over our lands and nations with destruction and acculturation as their only goals.

There's him, then the poster with no shame and a few others like that.

They provide a distraction when they are not banned from the bored.


You are beyond idiotic.


I dont really care about your insults. That's the only thing you appear to be good at nowadays.

Let's just say that I was extremely surprised to find you posting on a thread where racism/freedom of speeches etc are being discussed by the usual suspects.


Moron.


Your post just before this one was utterly idiotic.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:17 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 3212
Santa wrote:
By the way we shouldn't ignore the political leanings of students. placed in the context of staff proclivities it points to something like a purge of non-liberal politics from universities.


I'm not sure there's a reliable way of making a statistical assessment of the politics of students. There'll be some who are registered with a party in their early 20s but not enough, I suspect, to draw any clear conclusions.

Anecdotally, I grant you, they would appear to trend more in one direction. Certainly the ones who are loud about it.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:19 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 4602
Seneca of the Night wrote:
La soule wrote:
unseenwork wrote:
The calls of a vast movement of cultural Marxists running our institutions has always rung a little conspiratorial to me.



This is DAC.

We are all leftists allowing the Muslims to take over our lands and nations with destruction and acculturation as their only goals.

There's him, then the poster with no shame and a few others like that.

They provide a distraction when they are not banned from the bored.


You are beyond idiotic.

He has definitely turned into a total joke of a poster. Once they revert to ad hominems and strawmen, it's obvious they have nothing left in the tank. Such shame, actually.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:20 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:59 pm
Posts: 550
http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/9 ... 2d2b170036

Quote:
A staggering 94% of UK universities censor their students, a study into free speech on campus has claimed.

In its third annual report, online magazine Spiked found that only 6% of institutions are “truly free, open spaces”, with other universities banning everything from blasphemy to tabloids.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:20 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 20069
100MileDad wrote:
unseenwork wrote:
100MileDad wrote:
Quote:
I feel there's a real ease amongst some to dismiss the young in particular as being overly sensitive without considering what these sensitivities result from and what provokes these reactions


Doesn't it really just stem from being bombarded with cultural marxism during the latter stages of their education?

How many of these students are reading Adorno or Marcuse?


I'm talking about their tutors and lecturers.


Which is utter bollocks. It's tiresome listen to right wingers with literally no actual keep asserting their fantasies about the teaching establishment being left wing fruitcakes. Just look at these antifa fruitcakes, they are far left monsters who are violently attacking their own institutions because their institutions dare appoint some guests who are politically not far left to give talks. Does that sound like it's the lecturers who are promoting cultural marxist tones? No. It's social media and the rise of fruitcake websites like the Canary.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:20 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:28 am
Posts: 13531
hermes-trismegistus wrote:
unseenwork wrote:
The calls of a vast movement of cultural Marxists running our institutions has always rung a little conspiratorial to me.


Well let's leave aside the tag of Cultural Marxist. It gets people riled up and the point often gets lost. And let's leave the student bodies to one side too. They're not really part of the gripe re the institutions being manned much more by one side than the other.

However, there are clear signs that the proportion of faculty of a left leaning persuasion has rocketed vs those of a right leaning persuasion over the last 20/30 years. Certainly in the US.

If you're interested, here's a link to relevant data on the issue. It assesses the ratio of registered Democrat to Republican across the economics, history, journalism, law and psychology departments of 40 of the US's top universities. They don't bother with the social sciences; nobody's seriously going to contest that one.

It is not a healthy balance. Not by a long chalk.

Here's the abstract: https://econjwatch.org/articles/faculty ... psychology

Pdf's on the left.

Also have a look at Jonathan Haidt's research into the issue. There are numerous talks he's given that are on youtube addressing it.

I wouldn't really dispute at all the quite strongly left leaning nature of academia (heck on an anecdotal level I've seen this to be true even in the computer science departments I've been associated with) in this day and age, but as to it being a serious problem I'm not entirely sure I would agree.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:20 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:56 pm
Posts: 6289
hermes-trismegistus wrote:
Santa wrote:
By the way we shouldn't ignore the political leanings of students. placed in the context of staff proclivities it points to something like a purge of non-liberal politics from universities.


I'm not sure there's a reliable way of making a statistical assessment of the politics of students. There'll be some who are registered with a party in their early 20s but not enough, I suspect, to draw any clear conclusions.

Anecdotally, I grant you, they would appear to trend more in one direction. Certainly the ones who are loud about it.


non-liberal politics not students. the non-libs will be there, quietly working away and getting drunk. but they are frozen out of the deepest engagement with their institution.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:21 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 3212
Seneca of the Night wrote:
Santa wrote:
By the way we shouldn't ignore the political leanings of students. placed in the context of staff proclivities it points to something like a purge of non-liberal politics from universities.


The emergence of this strange category of YouTube vloggers is in some part due to the market failure in ideas caused by lack of ideological diversity in the academy. Students want to discuss ideas even if the platform is provided by third rate intellects like this sargon fellow.


Unquestionably. That's reinforced by how many of the vloggers have reasonably healthy audience numbers in spite of what is often long form discussion rather than the short bullet point transmission that is generally thought optimal for online media.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:23 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:59 pm
Posts: 550
Quote:
Which is utter bollocks. It's tiresome listen to right wingers with literally no actual keep asserting their fantasies about the teaching establishment being left wing fruitcakes


https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/univ ... -zmm2nn76g

It's hardly a fantasy.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:24 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 3212
unseenwork wrote:
hermes-trismegistus wrote:
unseenwork wrote:
The calls of a vast movement of cultural Marxists running our institutions has always rung a little conspiratorial to me.


Well let's leave aside the tag of Cultural Marxist. It gets people riled up and the point often gets lost. And let's leave the student bodies to one side too. They're not really part of the gripe re the institutions being manned much more by one side than the other.

However, there are clear signs that the proportion of faculty of a left leaning persuasion has rocketed vs those of a right leaning persuasion over the last 20/30 years. Certainly in the US.

If you're interested, here's a link to relevant data on the issue. It assesses the ratio of registered Democrat to Republican across the economics, history, journalism, law and psychology departments of 40 of the US's top universities. They don't bother with the social sciences; nobody's seriously going to contest that one.

It is not a healthy balance. Not by a long chalk.

Here's the abstract: https://econjwatch.org/articles/faculty ... psychology

Pdf's on the left.

Also have a look at Jonathan Haidt's research into the issue. There are numerous talks he's given that are on youtube addressing it.

I wouldn't really dispute at all the quite strongly left leaning nature of academia (heck on an anecdotal level I've seen this to be true even in the computer science departments I've been associated with) in this day and age, but as to it being a serious problem I'm not entirely sure I would agree.


I disagree. For example, if those university departments cited in the study were staffed 12:1 male to female would you still think it's not a serious problem?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:25 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 3212
Santa wrote:
hermes-trismegistus wrote:
Santa wrote:
By the way we shouldn't ignore the political leanings of students. placed in the context of staff proclivities it points to something like a purge of non-liberal politics from universities.


I'm not sure there's a reliable way of making a statistical assessment of the politics of students. There'll be some who are registered with a party in their early 20s but not enough, I suspect, to draw any clear conclusions.

Anecdotally, I grant you, they would appear to trend more in one direction. Certainly the ones who are loud about it.


non-liberal politics not students. the non-libs will be there, quietly working away and getting drunk. but they are frozen out of the deepest engagement with their institution.


Ah, I see. I misread that.

Weren't you in anthropology? Or have I got that wrong?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:26 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:28 am
Posts: 13531
hermes-trismegistus wrote:
Seneca of the Night wrote:
Santa wrote:
By the way we shouldn't ignore the political leanings of students. placed in the context of staff proclivities it points to something like a purge of non-liberal politics from universities.


The emergence of this strange category of YouTube vloggers is in some part due to the market failure in ideas caused by lack of ideological diversity in the academy. Students want to discuss ideas even if the platform is provided by third rate intellects like this sargon fellow.


Unquestionably. That's reinforced by how many of the vloggers have reasonably healthy audience numbers in spite of what is often long form discussion rather than the short bullet point transmission that is generally thought optimal for online media.

Though I would say that the internet has been great for catering to the desires of minority groups freed by the restrictions of geography in a way not possible economically for your traditional educational institutions.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:27 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:56 pm
Posts: 6289
hermes-trismegistus wrote:
Santa wrote:
hermes-trismegistus wrote:
Santa wrote:
By the way we shouldn't ignore the political leanings of students. placed in the context of staff proclivities it points to something like a purge of non-liberal politics from universities.


I'm not sure there's a reliable way of making a statistical assessment of the politics of students. There'll be some who are registered with a party in their early 20s but not enough, I suspect, to draw any clear conclusions.

Anecdotally, I grant you, they would appear to trend more in one direction. Certainly the ones who are loud about it.


non-liberal politics not students. the non-libs will be there, quietly working away and getting drunk. but they are frozen out of the deepest engagement with their institution.


Ah, I see. I misread that.

Weren't you in anthropology? Or have I got that wrong?


I was.

I expressed myself badly above.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:28 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 3212
eldanielfire wrote:
Which is utter bollocks. It's tiresome listen to right wingers with literally no actual keep asserting their fantasies about the teaching establishment being left wing fruitcakes. Just look at these antifa fruitcakes, they are far left monsters who are violently attacking their own institutions because their institutions dare appoint some guests who are politically not far left to give talks. Does that sound like it's the lecturers who are promoting cultural marxist tones? No. It's social media and the rise of fruitcake websites like the Canary.


Eldfr, have you had a chance to dig into Haidt's stuff on this issue?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:29 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:44 pm
Posts: 46547
Location: In the Centre/left wing
And in other news 2 students have been arrested over racist chants in Nottingham Trent University.
I suspect the politics of these guys that hate the Blacks is a bit different from the London loons.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:30 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 3212
unseenwork wrote:
hermes-trismegistus wrote:
Seneca of the Night wrote:
Santa wrote:
By the way we shouldn't ignore the political leanings of students. placed in the context of staff proclivities it points to something like a purge of non-liberal politics from universities.


The emergence of this strange category of YouTube vloggers is in some part due to the market failure in ideas caused by lack of ideological diversity in the academy. Students want to discuss ideas even if the platform is provided by third rate intellects like this sargon fellow.


Unquestionably. That's reinforced by how many of the vloggers have reasonably healthy audience numbers in spite of what is often long form discussion rather than the short bullet point transmission that is generally thought optimal for online media.

Though I would say that the internet has been great for catering to the desires of minority groups freed by the restrictions of geography in a way not possible economically for your traditional educational institutions.


For sure. I don't think it's too much of an exaggeration to equate it with the arrival of the printing press. With all the benefits and concomitant destabilisation that brings with it.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:31 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:59 pm
Posts: 550
c69 wrote:
And in other news 2 students have been arrested over racist chants in Nottingham Trent University.
I suspect the politics of these guys that hate the Blacks is a bit different from the London loons.


Have you had a bite out of La Soule's stupid biscuit?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:32 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 3212
c69 wrote:
And in other news 2 students have been arrested over racist chants in Nottingham Trent University.
I suspect the politics of these guys that hate the Blacks is a bit different from the London loons.


No excuses for them. They're a disgrace and I hope they get their just deserts.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 292 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: BBB, CrazyIslander, De Damp Slaphead, Dimebag, DOB, _fatprop, Frodder, Google Adsense [Bot], guy smiley, JB1981, Laurent, Luciano, Margin_Walker, Raggs, RuggaBugga, SASP, shortbutlong, Ted., The Native, TokenSarriesFan and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group