Chat Forum
It is currently Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:24 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:30 pm 

pandion wrote:
There should be a big tax on buying packaged in plastic. Everything is for people's convenience and driving down price and up profits. Why do basics like meat fish eggs milk and vegetables need to have any plastic involved in there purchase or storage except for modern shoppers convenience.

Hygiene ?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:37 pm 

When I was a young lad I used to stay with my nan and granddad in Woodford during half-terms. I'd go with my nan on the bus to Walthamstow market and she'd buy her fruit and veg there from a market stall. All of it, potatoes, carrots, green beans, apples and oranges would be poured straight from the weighing dish into her tartan wheeled trolley! No plastic, no extra packing, just weighed, paid and in the trolley.

Happy days. :proud:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:42 pm 

What I can't understand is the fuss made about getting rid of drinking straws, like that's going to do anything.

There are so many more really practical things that can be done.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:43 pm 

100MileDad wrote:
What I can't understand is the fuss made about getting rid of drinking straws, like that's going to do anything.

Let's here them, then :thumbup:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:45 pm 

100MileDad wrote:

Because theyre all little things taken isolation, and they all need to be done. Just because something else needs to be done is a shit excuse for not doing something.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:48 pm 

Zakar wrote:
100MileDad wrote:

Because theyre all little things taken isolation, and they all need to be done. Just because something else needs to be done is a shit excuse for not doing something.

Where did I say it didn't need to be done? What I said was I can't understand the fanfare the British media made about getting rid of drinking straws.

Read what I say, not what you think I said.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:51 pm 

Don't forget "Earth Hour" is coming soon.

I fecking hate that project, it's ridiculous.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:56 pm 

100MileDad wrote:
Zakar wrote:
100MileDad wrote:

Where did I say it didn't need to be done? What I said was I can't understand the fanfare the British media made about getting rid of drinking straws.

tbf I think zapping plastic drinking straws is a great idea, would rather glug a drink anyways than through a straw. I think zapping plastic straws will save at least 47 turtle faces getting kicked up by some Brickie Geordie, and 2 and a half Pandas.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:58 pm 

100MileDad wrote:
Don't forget "Earth Hour" is coming soon.

I fecking hate that project, it's ridiculous.

For those that don't know, Earth Hour is a corporate festival where we slap each other on the back for turning off some lights ONCE a year. We should be doing that every single week.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:59 pm 

Farva wrote:
So because it doesnt do a lot given the volume of plastic out there, we shouldnt do anything?

Id argue that you should embrace the ban and then push for all of the single use things to be banned as well. Drinking straws are something that should either be removed or use paper / metal straws.
Single use products are terrible, and they are everywhere here. And its down to people living day by day, they only buy enough for one day at a time.

This. I don't understand the OP at all. We have stopped using millions of plastic shopping bags, where is the down side?

Supermarket packaging is my biggest annoyance. I actually regulalrly write mails to supermarkets moaning and go out of my way to be annoying in supermarkets to make a point - don't put loose veggies and fruit together on the check out thing because I don't want to use a plastic bag etc.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:01 pm 

100MileDad wrote:
Zakar wrote:
100MileDad wrote:

I highlighted the bit you actually said so you can read it.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:08 pm 

100MileDad wrote:

If it helps you, consider the crusade against straws as part of a larger issue about the single-use plastics that are ending up in oceans and choking out very photogenic baby seals. It's the single-use plastics that's actually a pretty legit cause, one that's even worth you sacrificing your straw and stirrer in your babysham spritzer-tini.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:09 pm 

My missus turned the thermostat up to 24c last week.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:55 pm 

Edinburgh01 wrote:
Gwenno wrote:
We now have a plentiful supply of the heavy duty reusable bags, because until recently I couldn't persuade my wife that the best place to keep them was in the boots of the 2 cars and not tidied out of the way at home, where of course they are no use to you when you are at the shops :x

Can you speak to my wife please.

As I am old and forgetful, when I have emptied the shopping bags I leave them by the back door so I'll pick them up the next time I go out and out and put them in the boot. Time and again they get 'tidied' away. We now have more resuable bags cluttering our cupboards than we ever had single use.

In all fairness, if we stopped woman shopping for useless shite 2 weeks out of 4, we'd be halfway there.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:27 pm 

Not used a plastic carry bag for years. We have Waitrose, Booths, Seven Wells and Trendalls ones. I think they are made of jute.

I agree with the moan about the contents being shrouded in plastic. Time that was dealt with.

But supermarkets are not the only culprits.

I bought a cook's blowtorch from Amazon. I needed my tin snips to prize that out from the package. Utterly ridiculous.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:39 pm 

TheDocForgotHisLogon wrote:
Anonymous. wrote:
You have to start somewhere you muppet

We must do something, this is something, we must do it? If you have to start somewhere then start in a sensible place. This isn't a sensible place. Maybe get all the butchery and fishmonger items back into paper wraps. Maybe get veges into paper bags like the mushrooms are. Maybe the entire supermarket model is ready for disruption in a way that eliminates a lot of packaging and uses re-usable packaging for other things. Dunno, but as I said in the OP the %age of plastic you take out of the supermarket that's made up of the 1g bags is feck all, and if the effort was directed to something actually helpful more would be achieved.

If you feel so bad about the lack of plastic bags being thrown away feel free to buy more yourself to make up for the ones I'm not using.

The comparison with packaging is a fallacy by the way. The packaging used on food products increases its shelf life and reduces waste. There are currently no good alternatives for many of the plastics used (though it is an area that may change in the future). There is an easy alternative for a plastic carrier bag.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:41 pm 

globus wrote:

I bought a cook's blowtorch from Amazon. I needed my tin snips to prize that out from the package. Utterly ridiculous.

They do that to prevent shoplifting (though obv not a worry when it's being sold on Amazon).

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:43 pm 

Location: End of the road, turn right and first house on the left
Anything that starts to reduce this has got to be good, doesn't it?

https://www.facebook.com/abcnews.au/vid ... 369633983/

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:47 pm 

slick wrote:
Farva wrote:
So because it doesnt do a lot given the volume of plastic out there, we shouldnt do anything?

Id argue that you should embrace the ban and then push for all of the single use things to be banned as well. Drinking straws are something that should either be removed or use paper / metal straws.
Single use products are terrible, and they are everywhere here. And its down to people living day by day, they only buy enough for one day at a time.

This. I don't understand the OP at all. We have stopped using millions of plastic shopping bags, where is the down side?

Supermarket packaging is my biggest annoyance. I actually regulalrly write mails to supermarkets moaning and go out of my way to be annoying in supermarkets to make a point - don't put loose veggies and fruit together on the check out thing because I don't want to use a plastic bag etc.

My local store has the fruit lose but there are tear off small bags to put it in

Then gets weighted at checkout

Parklife

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:10 pm 

Bought two loaves of bread at the bakers the other day...one sliced and in a plastic bag, and one unsliced in a plastic bag. I was asked if I wanted them both placed in a plastic carry bag. Its a matter of retraning myself to say no thanks and move on.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:04 pm 

It was pretty easy to adapt to, I can't remember the last time I needed more bags than I brought with me.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:18 pm 

It is a bloody nuisance having to carry a bag for life to work so you can pick up food on the way home. My parents just reuse plastic bags for garbage bins and compost.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:46 pm 

Farva wrote:

Makati and other districts have bans on plastic bags so they are actually trying to do the right thing. Plus more and more places use the paper straws. It's a small step but necessary in a place with as many people.

Someone needs to have a f**king word with the Japanese confectioners :lol: They're a disgrace.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:52 pm 

Brumby_in_Vic wrote:
It is a bloody nuisance having to carry a bag for life to work so you can pick up food on the way home. My parents just reuse plastic bags for garbage bins and compost.

We just leave a couple of bags in the car so if we pop into the supermarket we've already got one.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:20 am 

Brumby_in_Vic wrote:

It is at worst a minor inconvenience. A lot of people just fudge the plastic bag away, that's why none of us can have them. Too right, too. Very whiney thread is this

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:24 am 

Turbogoat wrote:
100MileDad wrote:

If it helps you, consider the crusade against straws as part of a larger issue about the single-use plastics that are ending up in oceans and choking out very photogenic baby seals. It's the single-use plastics that's actually a pretty legit cause, one that's even worth you sacrificing your straw and stirrer in your babysham spritzer-tini.

Maybe we should target the countries that are letting the vast majority of the sea plastics get into their rivers as we'll though .

90% come from 10 rivers

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:30 am 

bimboman wrote:
Turbogoat wrote:
100MileDad wrote:

Maybe we should target the countries that are letting the vast majority of the sea plastics get into their rivers as we'll though .

90% come from 10 rivers

Yes, sitting back and pointing a finger has proven to be most effective over the years and, of course... it keeps the monocle clean.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:32 am 

Plastic water bottles are another one. IMO they should be illegal to be sold in packs. They should sell as individual items only so people are more likely to reuse the bottle for a few months. It will also stop bulk buying of the things.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:38 am 

guy smiley wrote:
bimboman wrote:
Turbogoat wrote:
100MileDad wrote:

90% come from 10 rivers

Yes, sitting back and pointing a finger has proven to be most effective over the years and, of course... it keeps the monocle clean.

It's certainly as effective as "signalling policies" that don't change anything but make everyone feel virtuous.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:46 am 

Chips wrote:
My missus turned the thermostat up to 24c last week.

That is a bit warm. It took a while but i now keep mine at 19°C and the complaints about being tight have decreased over time. You need to install a hidden real one and turn the current one into a dummy for the missus. Just remember to turn down the dummy one constantly to keep up the charade.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:50 am 

I hate the "guess how many bags" game the person at the till makes me play every time I go. They start scanning the items when I'm clearly standing there without bags waiting for one. Eventually I pipe up and ask for bags.

"how many?"

"I don't know, 3?"

Obviously 3 bags are filled up before we're even halfway done. I ask for more bags. They give me 1 bag. I fill that up and ask for another. They give me 1 bag. Repeat another few times until I'm finally done.

I've actually had to carry shopping out in my arms like some kind of barbarian before now because there was nobody on self service to give me a bag. Tories OUT :x

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:19 am 

The other thing that really annoys me is if you have to use plastic bags, the current crop of checkout operators put 2 things in every bag - you have to prompt them to fill them more.

:frown:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:42 am 

Guy's post brings up another issue ... stop buying bottled water! Most of it's the same stuff that comes out of your water system or wells anyway (here in Canadia, anyway), if not shipped from some far off land, further increasing the impact.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... ate-change

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:00 am 

True Blue wrote:
Plastic water bottles are another one. IMO they should be illegal to be sold in packs. They should sell as individual items only so people are more likely to reuse the bottle for a few months. It will also stop bulk buying of the things.

Plastic bottles aren't recommended for re-use.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:04 am 

CM11 wrote:
True Blue wrote:

Why is that? I tend to reuse a plastic bottle at the moment for a few months before replacing it.

Should probably invest in a metal one but never got round to it

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:13 am 

bimboman wrote:
guy smiley wrote:
bimboman wrote:
Turbogoat wrote:
100MileDad wrote:

90% come from 10 rivers

It's certainly as effective as "signalling policies" that don't change anything but make everyone feel virtuous.

It's almost as if saving the environment shouldn't be restricted to one particular effort at a time. You could deal with the rivers and the drinking straws at the same time if you concentrate.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:15 am 

Margin_Walker wrote:
CM11 wrote:
True Blue wrote:

Why is that? I tend to reuse a plastic bottle at the moment for a few months before replacing it.

Should probably invest in a metal one but never got round to it

Combination of general hygiene and toxic risk. Not sure how high the risk is though.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:16 am 

Obviously I'm only talking about bottles that you buy drinks in, not plastic bottles specifically designed for re-use.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:33 am 

I read somewhere that the plastic packaging used for fresh foodstuffs are treated with some sort of magic fiery piss that keeps the goodies fresher for longer. I accepted this as the truth because the veggies from my garden never last as long as the stuff from the shops.

It seems as soon as you harvest stuff from the garden they start welting and I could never understand how the stuff from the shop can come from the market and sit on shelves for who knows how long before you buy it and still be fresh by the time you use them. But the stuff from the garden wont last a day in the fridge.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:51 am 

Quote:
It's almost as if saving the environment shouldn't be restricted to one particular effort at a time. You could deal with the rivers and the drinking straws at the same time if you concentrate.

Or we could shift the campaign efforts and financing to just one Chinese river applying global pressure and make an actual difference.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next