Chat Forum
It is currently Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:16 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 853 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 22  Next
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 4:45 pm 

Olo wrote:
towny wrote:
Also, David Pocock is a better 8 than David f*cking Lyons was. Too heavy to jump well in the lineout, couldn't link, couldn't offload. When you think about it, he's like Michael Hooper without the huge workload.

But hey, he did wear an '8' on his back so I guess that meant something, right? ;)

True Towns. Were they lifting in the lineout back then?
He also played when our 6s were tall and adept in the lineout.............and he was average at best at test level. Cheilka will go back to Hanigan at 6 as soon as he is fit and play Timu off the bench. I'm not sure Tui is fast enough for a 6 but both Pocock and Hooper are excellent on the ground.

Its a good pack.

Agree that Lyons wasn’t great in the line outs but it was irrelevant because another member of the back row did the job. Just like now with the Pooper.

I’m happy with the pack too.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 6:58 am 

I Just read that BPA was a garbo whilst in sydney; in no way was he ever going to play for the Tahs :lol:

Exactly the type of bloke we need though.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 10:07 am 

Zakar wrote:
I Just read that BPA was a garbo whilst in sydney; in no way was he ever going to play for the Tahs :lol:

Tolu Latu was a forklifter driver at the Fish Markets.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 10:20 am 

wamberal99 wrote:
Zakar wrote:

Latu never fitted in at the Tahs either. Kept dropping him.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 10:26 am 

kiap wrote:
wamberal99 wrote:
Zakar wrote:

Not the right sort of person, but that Fitzpatrick is a third generation Joey's boy from Mosman.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 11:02 am 

A few days ago on foxsports.com.au, Phil Kearns was calling for Fitzpatrick to be the Wallaby starting hooker.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 11:08 am 

towny wrote:
A few days ago on foxsports.com.au, Phil Kearns was calling for Fitzpatrick to be the Wallaby starting hooker.

Mosman rugby club alumni club.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 12:03 pm 

shanky wrote:
towny wrote:

He used to come to the clubhouse all the time :lol:

He's a good man in person, an unabashed fan of the game that is unapologetically one eyed.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 12:41 pm 

What would your reaction be if Ireland win the series 3-0 with 3 solid wins? Cheika out?

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 12:46 pm 

SFBB wrote:
What would your reaction be if Ireland win the series 3-0 with 3 solid wins? Cheika out?

I think he stays.

Last thing needed is a payout + there's few options until 2019.

Cheika can't be renewed past the World Cup, though, IMO.

He's not a 7+ year kind of coach.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 2:07 pm 

Zakar wrote:
shanky wrote:
towny wrote:

He's a good man in person, an unabashed fan of the game that is unapologetically one eyed.

All good but what does he think about the demise of the game and more importantly whats he doing about it? Its these guys that can say to RA WTF but I don't see it.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 2:09 pm 

kiap wrote:
SFBB wrote:

I think he stays.

No other takers locally right now anyway, gee the coaching talent is right now is weak.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 2:12 pm 

Don't know that a change in Wallaby coach would actually achieve a lot. It is a cattle issue and coaching at lower levels issue.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 3:24 pm 

kiap wrote:
SFBB wrote:

I think he stays.

Absolutely. His time will be up and I would guess that he will be happy to move on.
It will be time for a new direction no matter how we fare in Japan.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 5:12 pm 

grievous wrote:
Zakar wrote:
shanky wrote:
towny wrote:

All good but what does he think about the demise of the game and more importantly whats he doing about it? Its these guys that can say to RA WTF but I don't see it.

I've not seem him I'm a few years...but him, Eales and Gregan all live in the Mosman bubble. There are five sports in Mosman; Rugby, Cricket, Sailing, Rowing and croquet. Rugby is comfortaby number 1. It gives you a terribly poor understanding of what it's like in the rest of the country.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 5:13 pm 

kiap wrote:
SFBB wrote:

I think he stays.

Why on earth don't we write performance clauses into our contracts? Boogles the mind that we've had to buy out so many coaches.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 5:17 pm 

I hear Wayne Bennett is looking for a new job... ;)

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 5:19 pm 

Demilich wrote:

We've tried asking before. IIRC said he was a fan but didn't feel like he knew enough to effectively coach it. He's the anti clive Woodward. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 10:56 pm 

Zakar wrote:
grievous wrote:
Zakar wrote:
shanky wrote:
towny wrote:

I've not seem him I'm a few years...but him, Eales and Gregan all live in the Mosman bubble. There are five sports in Mosman; Rugby, Cricket, Sailing, Rowing and croquet. Rugby is comfortaby number 1. It gives you a terribly poor understanding of what it's like in the rest of the country.

Glad its no.1 somewhere

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 10:58 pm 

Demilich wrote:

Eddie might be out of work post WC

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 11:21 pm 

grievous wrote:
Zakar wrote:
shanky wrote:
towny wrote:

I can tell you what Mosman Junior Rugby Club is doing about it if you like.

They’re quite happy to cherry-pick the best players from surrounding village clubs on the promise of creating a ‘superteam’ that wins the comp every year and gets those kids noticed for rep honours. Having Eales and co on the books helps to sway the parents as well.

This means the neighbouring clubs are in steady decline as they become less and less viable in older age groups.

Oh, and they like to fight tooth-and-nail to remain graded in B grade (rather than going up to A), so that they’re guaranteed to win the division.

:thumbup:

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 11:30 pm 

shanky wrote:

I can tell you what Mosman Junior Rugby Club is doing about it if you like.

They’re quite happy to cherry-pick the best players from surrounding village clubs on the promise of creating a ‘superteam’ that wins the comp every year and gets those kids noticed for rep honours. Having Eales and co on the books helps to sway the parents as well.

This means the neighbouring clubs are in steady decline as they become less and less viable in older age groups.

Oh, and they like to fight tooth-and-nail to remain graded in B grade (rather than going up to A), so that they’re guaranteed to win the division.

:thumbup:

Why don't they want to go up a grade? Too scared little Tarquin will lose?

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 11:33 pm 

Happens a fair bit in my experience

If you grade lower, you’ve a better chance of winning the comp.

That’s not too unusual to expect, but when you’re building an all-star team, then it’s even worse because other clubs are now getting flogged by their ex-team mates

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 11:41 pm 

shanky wrote:

That’s not too unusual to expect, but when you’re building an all-star team, then it’s even worse because other clubs are now getting flogged by their ex-team mates

I'd rather my son play in a division where his team is tested rather than flogging other kids every weekend. They won 73-14 the other week.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 11:44 pm 

Thomas wrote:
shanky wrote:

I'd rather my son play in a division where his team is tested rather than flogging other kids every weekend. They won 73-14 the other week.

:thumbup: admirable, and I agree. It happens though, and you’ll see more of it as tour son gets ilder and playing stocks start to thin out.

Some parents then start thinking that maybe their (star) kid is being wasted in his local team, missing out on rep honours etc. That’s when they start thinking they should move him. Some clubs feed off that even though poaching is explicitly outlawed.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 11:45 pm 

Zakar wrote:
Why on earth don't we write performance clauses into our contracts? Boogles the mind that we've had to buy out so many coaches.

Enlighten me, please. How many coaches in any sport have performance clauses written into their contracts?

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 11:48 pm 

kiap wrote:

Have you had time to check the Tahs 23 for Saturday night?

He has been unavailable for a fair while, he seems to have had some personal problems.

If he is back to full fitness, he will start for the Tahs. I

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 11:53 pm 

shanky wrote:
Thomas wrote:
shanky wrote:

:thumbup: admirable, and I agree. It happens though, and you’ll see more of it as tour son gets ilder and playing stocks start to thin out.

Some parents then start thinking that maybe their (star) kid is being wasted in his local team, missing out on rep honours etc. That’s when they start thinking they should move him. Some clubs feed off that even though poaching is explicitly outlawed.

I hate club politics. My kids play at the club everyone hates (it isn't affiliated with the right schools, you see?) so I see it first hand. The politics exists internally though.

Did I mention my lad has been asked to trial for districts?

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 11:59 pm 

Thomas wrote:

I hate club politics. My kids play at the club everyone hates (it isn't affiliated with the right schools, you see?) so I see it first hand. The politics exists internally though.

Me too. The politics spoils it. Parents can be such shits. Not just in selections/bias either. Last year a parent punched one of the 14-year olds on the opposing team. Just by way of an example.

Congrats on your lad. Good luck at the trials. Let us know how he gets on. :thumbup: :thumbup:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:03 am 

shanky wrote:
Thomas wrote:

Me too. The politics spoils it. Parents can be such shits. Not just in selections/bias either. Last year a parent punched one of the 14-year olds on the opposing team. Just by way of an example.

Congrats on your lad. Good luck at the trials. Let us know how he gets on. :thumbup: :thumbup:

I WILL LET EVERYONE KNOW HOW HE GETS ON IF HE GETS IN.

But yeah, he's a smaller lad than the rest but always on the ball. His coach said he'd make a great flanker if he was bigger but he's agile af so the coach asked him to play halfback this year. At first he didn't like it but then realised he touches the ball more than anyone else. So he now spends an hour a day passing the ball to the wall in the backyard. He was so keen to show his grandad how good his passing was last weekend but over did it a bit. The coach had to tell him to stop passing to the outside centre from the base of the scrum.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:13 am 

Great story. :thumbup: :lol:

The really good news is that if he’s going to be a halfback then he’s got great genes for the yappy gobshite part of the role. ;)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:18 am 

shanky wrote:
Great story. :thumbup: :lol:

The really good news is that if he’s going to be a halfback then he’s got great genes for the yappy gobshite part of the role. ;)

He and I were hanging out with my old rugby mates and he told them that he was playing halfback now. One of my mates asked him if I'd told him about my tactic of starting fights and then standing behind the forwards.

Bastards.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:24 am 

:lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:32 am 

wamberal99 wrote:
Zakar wrote:

Enlighten me, please. How many coaches in any sport have performance clauses written into their contracts?

82.7%

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:41 am 

Zakar wrote:
wamberal99 wrote:
Zakar wrote:

82.7%

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:58 am 

Eddie jones had 57% winning record, Connolly, 64%, Deans 58%, McKenzie at 50% and Chieka currently running at 53% so he isn't the "worst" coach Australia has this millennium :P

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 1:51 am 

https://www.news.com.au/sport/rugby/pet ... 784bf388b6

Samu not going to be a part of the squad for this series. Does Cheika pick up another backrower?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 2:08 am 

shanky wrote:

That's why our u20s cant beat those nasty cussing valley boys from Wales

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:43 am 

grievous wrote:
shanky wrote:

NRL clubs is why our u20's aren't world beaters.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:53 am 

towny wrote:
grievous wrote:
shanky wrote:

NRL clubs is why our u20's aren't world beaters.

Sorry why are you conversing with me? And youre wrong again.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 853 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 22  Next