Chat Forum
It is currently Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:16 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 853 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 22  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 4:45 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:53 pm
Posts: 31908
Location: Perth
Olo wrote:
towny wrote:
Also, David Pocock is a better 8 than David f*cking Lyons was. Too heavy to jump well in the lineout, couldn't link, couldn't offload. When you think about it, he's like Michael Hooper without the huge workload.

But hey, he did wear an '8' on his back so I guess that meant something, right? ;)


True Towns. Were they lifting in the lineout back then?
He also played when our 6s were tall and adept in the lineout.............and he was average at best at test level. Cheilka will go back to Hanigan at 6 as soon as he is fit and play Timu off the bench. I'm not sure Tui is fast enough for a 6 but both Pocock and Hooper are excellent on the ground.

Its a good pack.


Agree that Lyons wasn’t great in the line outs but it was irrelevant because another member of the back row did the job. Just like now with the Pooper.

I’m happy with the pack too.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 6:58 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 14655
Location: Haunting your dreams
I Just read that BPA was a garbo whilst in sydney; in no way was he ever going to play for the Tahs :lol:

Exactly the type of bloke we need though.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 10:07 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 07, 2014 7:02 am
Posts: 3022
Zakar wrote:
I Just read that BPA was a garbo whilst in sydney; in no way was he ever going to play for the Tahs :lol:

Exactly the type of bloke we need though.


Tolu Latu was a forklifter driver at the Fish Markets.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 10:20 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 26105
wamberal99 wrote:
Zakar wrote:
I Just read that BPA was a garbo whilst in sydney; in no way was he ever going to play for the Tahs :lol:

Exactly the type of bloke we need though.


Tolu Latu was a forklifter driver at the Fish Markets.


Latu never fitted in at the Tahs either. Kept dropping him.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 10:26 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 14655
Location: Haunting your dreams
kiap wrote:
wamberal99 wrote:
Zakar wrote:
I Just read that BPA was a garbo whilst in sydney; in no way was he ever going to play for the Tahs :lol:

Exactly the type of bloke we need though.


Tolu Latu was a forklifter driver at the Fish Markets.



Latu never fitted in at the Tahs either. Kept dropping him.


Not the right sort of person, but that Fitzpatrick is a third generation Joey's boy from Mosman.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 11:02 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:53 pm
Posts: 31908
Location: Perth
A few days ago on foxsports.com.au, Phil Kearns was calling for Fitzpatrick to be the Wallaby starting hooker.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 11:08 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 21872
towny wrote:
A few days ago on foxsports.com.au, Phil Kearns was calling for Fitzpatrick to be the Wallaby starting hooker.



Mosman rugby club alumni club.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 12:03 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 14655
Location: Haunting your dreams
shanky wrote:
towny wrote:
A few days ago on foxsports.com.au, Phil Kearns was calling for Fitzpatrick to be the Wallaby starting hooker.



Mosman rugby club alumni club.


He used to come to the clubhouse all the time :lol:

He's a good man in person, an unabashed fan of the game that is unapologetically one eyed.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 12:41 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 4893
What would your reaction be if Ireland win the series 3-0 with 3 solid wins? Cheika out?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 12:46 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 26105
SFBB wrote:
What would your reaction be if Ireland win the series 3-0 with 3 solid wins? Cheika out?

I think he stays.

Last thing needed is a payout + there's few options until 2019.

Cheika can't be renewed past the World Cup, though, IMO.

He's not a 7+ year kind of coach.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 2:07 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 14532
Location: Tahstown
Zakar wrote:
shanky wrote:
towny wrote:
A few days ago on foxsports.com.au, Phil Kearns was calling for Fitzpatrick to be the Wallaby starting hooker.



Mosman rugby club alumni club.


He used to come to the clubhouse all the time :lol:

He's a good man in person, an unabashed fan of the game that is unapologetically one eyed.

All good but what does he think about the demise of the game and more importantly whats he doing about it? Its these guys that can say to RA WTF but I don't see it.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 2:09 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 14532
Location: Tahstown
kiap wrote:
SFBB wrote:
What would your reaction be if Ireland win the series 3-0 with 3 solid wins? Cheika out?

I think he stays.

Last thing needed is a payout + there's few options until 2019.

Cheika can't be renewed past the World Cup, though, IMO.

He's not a 7+ year kind of coach.

No other takers locally right now anyway, gee the coaching talent is right now is weak.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 2:12 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 6296
Don't know that a change in Wallaby coach would actually achieve a lot. It is a cattle issue and coaching at lower levels issue.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 3:24 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:20 pm
Posts: 5185
Location: Lutra
kiap wrote:
SFBB wrote:
What would your reaction be if Ireland win the series 3-0 with 3 solid wins? Cheika out?

I think he stays.

Last thing needed is a payout + there's few options until 2019.

Cheika can't be renewed past the World Cup, though, IMO.

He's not a 7+ year kind of coach.


Absolutely. His time will be up and I would guess that he will be happy to move on.
It will be time for a new direction no matter how we fare in Japan.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 5:12 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 14655
Location: Haunting your dreams
grievous wrote:
Zakar wrote:
shanky wrote:
towny wrote:
A few days ago on foxsports.com.au, Phil Kearns was calling for Fitzpatrick to be the Wallaby starting hooker.



Mosman rugby club alumni club.


He used to come to the clubhouse all the time :lol:

He's a good man in person, an unabashed fan of the game that is unapologetically one eyed.

All good but what does he think about the demise of the game and more importantly whats he doing about it? Its these guys that can say to RA WTF but I don't see it.


I've not seem him I'm a few years...but him, Eales and Gregan all live in the Mosman bubble. There are five sports in Mosman; Rugby, Cricket, Sailing, Rowing and croquet. Rugby is comfortaby number 1. It gives you a terribly poor understanding of what it's like in the rest of the country.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 5:13 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 14655
Location: Haunting your dreams
kiap wrote:
SFBB wrote:
What would your reaction be if Ireland win the series 3-0 with 3 solid wins? Cheika out?

I think he stays.

Last thing needed is a payout + there's few options until 2019.

Cheika can't be renewed past the World Cup, though, IMO.

He's not a 7+ year kind of coach.


Why on earth don't we write performance clauses into our contracts? Boogles the mind that we've had to buy out so many coaches.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 5:17 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 6116
I hear Wayne Bennett is looking for a new job... ;)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 5:19 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 14655
Location: Haunting your dreams
Demilich wrote:
I hear Wayne Bennett is looking for a new job... ;)


We've tried asking before. IIRC said he was a fan but didn't feel like he knew enough to effectively coach it. He's the anti clive Woodward. :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 10:56 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 14532
Location: Tahstown
Zakar wrote:
grievous wrote:
Zakar wrote:
shanky wrote:
towny wrote:
A few days ago on foxsports.com.au, Phil Kearns was calling for Fitzpatrick to be the Wallaby starting hooker.



Mosman rugby club alumni club.


He used to come to the clubhouse all the time :lol:

He's a good man in person, an unabashed fan of the game that is unapologetically one eyed.

All good but what does he think about the demise of the game and more importantly whats he doing about it? Its these guys that can say to RA WTF but I don't see it.


I've not seem him I'm a few years...but him, Eales and Gregan all live in the Mosman bubble. There are five sports in Mosman; Rugby, Cricket, Sailing, Rowing and croquet. Rugby is comfortaby number 1. It gives you a terribly poor understanding of what it's like in the rest of the country.

Glad its no.1 somewhere


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 10:58 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 14532
Location: Tahstown
Demilich wrote:
I hear Wayne Bennett is looking for a new job... ;)

Eddie might be out of work post WC


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 11:21 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 21872
grievous wrote:
Zakar wrote:
shanky wrote:
towny wrote:
A few days ago on foxsports.com.au, Phil Kearns was calling for Fitzpatrick to be the Wallaby starting hooker.



Mosman rugby club alumni club.


He used to come to the clubhouse all the time :lol:

He's a good man in person, an unabashed fan of the game that is unapologetically one eyed.

All good but what does he think about the demise of the game and more importantly whats he doing about it? Its these guys that can say to RA WTF but I don't see it.


I can tell you what Mosman Junior Rugby Club is doing about it if you like.

They’re quite happy to cherry-pick the best players from surrounding village clubs on the promise of creating a ‘superteam’ that wins the comp every year and gets those kids noticed for rep honours. Having Eales and co on the books helps to sway the parents as well.

This means the neighbouring clubs are in steady decline as they become less and less viable in older age groups.

Oh, and they like to fight tooth-and-nail to remain graded in B grade (rather than going up to A), so that they’re guaranteed to win the division.

:thumbup:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 11:30 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 19941
Location: STRAYA!
shanky wrote:

I can tell you what Mosman Junior Rugby Club is doing about it if you like.

They’re quite happy to cherry-pick the best players from surrounding village clubs on the promise of creating a ‘superteam’ that wins the comp every year and gets those kids noticed for rep honours. Having Eales and co on the books helps to sway the parents as well.

This means the neighbouring clubs are in steady decline as they become less and less viable in older age groups.

Oh, and they like to fight tooth-and-nail to remain graded in B grade (rather than going up to A), so that they’re guaranteed to win the division.

:thumbup:


Why don't they want to go up a grade? Too scared little Tarquin will lose?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 11:33 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 21872
Happens a fair bit in my experience

If you grade lower, you’ve a better chance of winning the comp.

That’s not too unusual to expect, but when you’re building an all-star team, then it’s even worse because other clubs are now getting flogged by their ex-team mates


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 11:41 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 19941
Location: STRAYA!
shanky wrote:
Happens a fair bit in my experience

If you grade lower, you’ve a better chance of winning the comp.

That’s not too unusual to expect, but when you’re building an all-star team, then it’s even worse because other clubs are now getting flogged by their ex-team mates


I'd rather my son play in a division where his team is tested rather than flogging other kids every weekend. They won 73-14 the other week.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 11:44 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 21872
Thomas wrote:
shanky wrote:
Happens a fair bit in my experience

If you grade lower, you’ve a better chance of winning the comp.

That’s not too unusual to expect, but when you’re building an all-star team, then it’s even worse because other clubs are now getting flogged by their ex-team mates


I'd rather my son play in a division where his team is tested rather than flogging other kids every weekend. They won 73-14 the other week.


:thumbup: admirable, and I agree. It happens though, and you’ll see more of it as tour son gets ilder and playing stocks start to thin out.

Some parents then start thinking that maybe their (star) kid is being wasted in his local team, missing out on rep honours etc. That’s when they start thinking they should move him. Some clubs feed off that even though poaching is explicitly outlawed.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 11:45 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 07, 2014 7:02 am
Posts: 3022
Zakar wrote:
Why on earth don't we write performance clauses into our contracts? Boogles the mind that we've had to buy out so many coaches.



Enlighten me, please. How many coaches in any sport have performance clauses written into their contracts?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 11:48 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 07, 2014 7:02 am
Posts: 3022
kiap wrote:

Latu never fitted in at the Tahs either. Kept dropping him.



Have you had time to check the Tahs 23 for Saturday night?


He has been unavailable for a fair while, he seems to have had some personal problems.


If he is back to full fitness, he will start for the Tahs. I


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 11:53 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 19941
Location: STRAYA!
shanky wrote:
Thomas wrote:
shanky wrote:
Happens a fair bit in my experience

If you grade lower, you’ve a better chance of winning the comp.

That’s not too unusual to expect, but when you’re building an all-star team, then it’s even worse because other clubs are now getting flogged by their ex-team mates


I'd rather my son play in a division where his team is tested rather than flogging other kids every weekend. They won 73-14 the other week.


:thumbup: admirable, and I agree. It happens though, and you’ll see more of it as tour son gets ilder and playing stocks start to thin out.

Some parents then start thinking that maybe their (star) kid is being wasted in his local team, missing out on rep honours etc. That’s when they start thinking they should move him. Some clubs feed off that even though poaching is explicitly outlawed.


I hate club politics. My kids play at the club everyone hates (it isn't affiliated with the right schools, you see?) so I see it first hand. The politics exists internally though.

Did I mention my lad has been asked to trial for districts?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 11:59 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 21872
Thomas wrote:

I hate club politics. My kids play at the club everyone hates (it isn't affiliated with the right schools, you see?) so I see it first hand. The politics exists internally though.

Did I mention my lad has been asked to trial for districts?


Me too. The politics spoils it. Parents can be such shits. Not just in selections/bias either. Last year a parent punched one of the 14-year olds on the opposing team. Just by way of an example.


Congrats on your lad. Good luck at the trials. Let us know how he gets on. :thumbup: :thumbup:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:03 am 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 19941
Location: STRAYA!
shanky wrote:
Thomas wrote:

I hate club politics. My kids play at the club everyone hates (it isn't affiliated with the right schools, you see?) so I see it first hand. The politics exists internally though.

Did I mention my lad has been asked to trial for districts?


Me too. The politics spoils it. Parents can be such shits. Not just in selections/bias either. Last year a parent punched one of the 14-year olds on the opposing team. Just by way of an example.


Congrats on your lad. Good luck at the trials. Let us know how he gets on. :thumbup: :thumbup:


I WILL LET EVERYONE KNOW HOW HE GETS ON IF HE GETS IN.

But yeah, he's a smaller lad than the rest but always on the ball. His coach said he'd make a great flanker if he was bigger but he's agile af so the coach asked him to play halfback this year. At first he didn't like it but then realised he touches the ball more than anyone else. So he now spends an hour a day passing the ball to the wall in the backyard. He was so keen to show his grandad how good his passing was last weekend but over did it a bit. The coach had to tell him to stop passing to the outside centre from the base of the scrum.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:13 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 21872
Great story. :thumbup: :lol:

The really good news is that if he’s going to be a halfback then he’s got great genes for the yappy gobshite part of the role. ;)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:18 am 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 19941
Location: STRAYA!
shanky wrote:
Great story. :thumbup: :lol:

The really good news is that if he’s going to be a halfback then he’s got great genes for the yappy gobshite part of the role. ;)


He and I were hanging out with my old rugby mates and he told them that he was playing halfback now. One of my mates asked him if I'd told him about my tactic of starting fights and then standing behind the forwards.

Bastards.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:24 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 21872
:lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:32 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 14655
Location: Haunting your dreams
wamberal99 wrote:
Zakar wrote:
Why on earth don't we write performance clauses into our contracts? Boogles the mind that we've had to buy out so many coaches.



Enlighten me, please. How many coaches in any sport have performance clauses written into their contracts?


82.7%


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:41 am 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 19941
Location: STRAYA!
Zakar wrote:
wamberal99 wrote:
Zakar wrote:
Why on earth don't we write performance clauses into our contracts? Boogles the mind that we've had to buy out so many coaches.



Enlighten me, please. How many coaches in any sport have performance clauses written into their contracts?


82.7%


Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:58 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 06, 2016 5:04 am
Posts: 5760
Eddie jones had 57% winning record, Connolly, 64%, Deans 58%, McKenzie at 50% and Chieka currently running at 53% so he isn't the "worst" coach Australia has this millennium :P


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 1:51 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:20 pm
Posts: 5185
Location: Lutra
https://www.news.com.au/sport/rugby/pet ... 784bf388b6

Samu not going to be a part of the squad for this series. Does Cheika pick up another backrower?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 2:08 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 14532
Location: Tahstown
shanky wrote:
Happens a fair bit in my experience

If you grade lower, you’ve a better chance of winning the comp.

That’s not too unusual to expect, but when you’re building an all-star team, then it’s even worse because other clubs are now getting flogged by their ex-team mates

That's why our u20s cant beat those nasty cussing valley boys from Wales


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:43 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:53 pm
Posts: 31908
Location: Perth
grievous wrote:
shanky wrote:
Happens a fair bit in my experience

If you grade lower, you’ve a better chance of winning the comp.

That’s not too unusual to expect, but when you’re building an all-star team, then it’s even worse because other clubs are now getting flogged by their ex-team mates

That's why our u20s cant beat those nasty cussing valley boys from Wales


NRL clubs is why our u20's aren't world beaters.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:53 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 14532
Location: Tahstown
towny wrote:
grievous wrote:
shanky wrote:
Happens a fair bit in my experience

If you grade lower, you’ve a better chance of winning the comp.

That’s not too unusual to expect, but when you’re building an all-star team, then it’s even worse because other clubs are now getting flogged by their ex-team mates

That's why our u20s cant beat those nasty cussing valley boys from Wales


NRL clubs is why our u20's aren't world beaters.

Sorry why are you conversing with me? And youre wrong again.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 853 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 22  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 4071, assfly, carlos_c, de_Selby, DragsterDriver, Edinburgh01, eldanielfire, EverReady, Flockwitt, FujiKiwi, Google Adsense [Bot], Gordon Bennett, Jay Cee Gee, Laurent, Margin_Walker, mr bungle, MungoMan, pjm1, Saint, Sards, somer, Thomas, Toddyno7, Wignu and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group