Chat Forum
It is currently Sat Dec 07, 2019 3:33 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:20 am 

Bryan Gould is bang on the money here, as usual.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:20 am 

mr bungle wrote:
Thomas wrote:

I like how he's adding a little bit of everything into the mix.

Quote:
And that is especially so when a little dose of Aussie racism is added to the mix. In many Australian minds, “Kiwi” means Maori or Polynesian – and that, sadly, is likely to be a further cause of hostility.

That’s Kiap’s MO. :thumbup:

Are you sure, cuz?

Coz I like the equal opportunity snotklap 8)

Virtual, of course. Ain't one of them coward's punch deportees.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:50 am 

naki wrote:
Quote:
I am not alone in having noticed an increasing intolerance of other views, an unwillingness to consider the interest of others, and a harder-edged nationalism

I wonder if this thread will throw up perfectly accurate examples of this trend, strengthening the writer's point without even a hint of irony :thumbup:

:lol:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:55 am 

Thomas wrote:
Wow

Quote:
Individual Australians can be the nicest people in the world, but I am sure I am not alone in having noticed an increasing intolerance of other views, an unwillingness to consider the interest of others, and a harder-edged nationalism in the voice and face that Australia now displays to the rest of the world, and not least to their friends.

TBH, You can say similar to this about most people when in partisan groups - Nations/tribes/Sports clubs/Political groups

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:14 pm 

Thomas wrote:
Dumbledore wrote:
Seneca of the Night wrote:
Quote:
Most Australians would dismiss any talk of "fair play" or of "the spirit of the game" or of "sportsmanship" as the talk of "losers" or, at best, hopelessly old-fashioned. A deliberate aggressiveness is thought to be the key to success and, when victory is won, an excessive triumphalism is expected as the appropriate Australian response.

And, if a David Warner or Nick Kyrgios is criticised for bad behaviour, most Australians would defend them and their actions as long as they win - indeed, as with sledging, the bad behaviour is seen as an essential part of a winning strategy.

None of this might matter if it were a purely sporting phenomenon. But attitudes such as these, seen in sport, are (predictably enough, given the important place occupied by sport in Australian society) sadly reflective of the attitudes that increasingly imbue Australian society as a whole.

Individual Australians can be the nicest people in the world, but I am sure I am not alone in having noticed an increasing intolerance of other views, an unwillingness to consider the interest of others, and a harder-edged nationalism in the voice and face that Australia now displays to the rest of the world, and not least to their friends.

:((

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/ar ... d=12010795

Such a weirdly bitter and insecure country.

They know their audience, though.

:roll:

You're fucking kidding, right?