Chat Forum
It is currently Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:29 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 125 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:56 am 

shanky wrote:
Reductio ad Kiwidum

:lol:

Face it...he wasn't liked much in the UK, and you Ozzies love him. :nod:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:01 am 

shanky wrote:
kiap wrote:
shanky wrote:
Jeff the Bear wrote:

That's one of the lads! :lol:

He's obviously assimilated, as you wouldn't get away with some of the stuff he says on the OZ show were he back in Blighty. The Aussie bint that works with him is equally caustic in her statements.

Except that it was his show in England (of the same name) that he imported here and the sarcasm was what made it popular in the first place

I think JtB is the one being assimilated.

Has been catching whitebait recently and will be smoking a few dots next.

Well, we’ve established that it’s an English TV show, created by Englishmen and hosted by an Englishman - but nonetheless symptomatic of Australian-ness

I’ll agree that, yes, Jeff has assimilated the Kiwi ability to mount a cohesive argument

Next you'll be telling me that Mark Nicholas is a true blue fair dinkum Pom, despite his verbal fellating of any Australian cricketer, however well or badly they're playing. It's almost as if some of the schtick is set by the agenda of the TV channel they work for.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:02 am 

Seneca of the Night wrote:
Quote:
Most Australians would dismiss any talk of "fair play" or of "the spirit of the game" or of "sportsmanship" as the talk of "losers" or, at best, hopelessly old-fashioned. A deliberate aggressiveness is thought to be the key to success and, when victory is won, an excessive triumphalism is expected as the appropriate Australian response.

And, if a David Warner or Nick Kyrgios is criticised for bad behaviour, most Australians would defend them and their actions as long as they win - indeed, as with sledging, the bad behaviour is seen as an essential part of a winning strategy.

None of this might matter if it were a purely sporting phenomenon. But attitudes such as these, seen in sport, are (predictably enough, given the important place occupied by sport in Australian society) sadly reflective of the attitudes that increasingly imbue Australian society as a whole.

Individual Australians can be the nicest people in the world, but I am sure I am not alone in having noticed an increasing intolerance of other views, an unwillingness to consider the interest of others, and a harder-edged nationalism in the voice and face that Australia now displays to the rest of the world, and not least to their friends.

:((

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/ar ... d=12010795

Such a weirdly bitter and insecure country.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:04 am 

mr bungle wrote:
There's only the odd standout knobhead sportsperson, IMO. How is Kyrgios perceived in Aus? He has one of the lamest temperaments of any sportsperson I've seen. Total wanker.

:lol: What? He's fine. Anyone who winds the tennis pearl-clutchers up is generally doing something right.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:09 am 

Gordon Bennett wrote:
shanky wrote:
kiap wrote:
shanky wrote:
Jeff the Bear wrote:

That's one of the lads! :lol:

He's obviously assimilated, as you wouldn't get away with some of the stuff he says on the OZ show were he back in Blighty. The Aussie bint that works with him is equally caustic in her statements.

Except that it was his show in England (of the same name) that he imported here and the sarcasm was what made it popular in the first place

I think JtB is the one being assimilated.

Has been catching whitebait recently and will be smoking a few dots next.

Well, we’ve established that it’s an English TV show, created by Englishmen and hosted by an Englishman - but nonetheless symptomatic of Australian-ness

I’ll agree that, yes, Jeff has assimilated the Kiwi ability to mount a cohesive argument

Next you'll be telling me that Mark Nicholas is a true blue fair dinkum Pom, despite his verbal fellating of any Australian cricketer, however well or badly they're playing. It's almost as if some of the schtick is set by the agenda of the TV channel they work for.

Mark Nicholas is a great bloke. Knows his cricket.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:09 am 

Jeff the Bear wrote:
shanky wrote:
Reductio ad Kiwidum

This is still Warner you are talking about right?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:10 am 

Jeff the Bear wrote:
Ergo, his style of acerbic sarcasm seems to have struck a particular chord with Ozzies

Do you know how Americans tend to cast English as "baddies" on their screens? This is a similar thing. The guy fills the role of "Pommy Wanker".

The accent, the cuntishness - perfect! He is the pantomime villain, if you will. And it works too ... sorta ...

Jeff the Bear wrote:
(He has won the ASTRA subscriber's choice award for Favourite Male Personality in 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014), whereas he was a bit of a nobody on the UK scene.

So, not only are Ozzies dicks...they're importing them too!

By volume, most are from Nu Zillund (but we're sending the odd few back) ;)

Your estate agent hero is really a nobody. No one knows what an "ASTRA" award is, or particularly cares if that's the car he drives. It seems his show rates about 130,000 nationally.

To put that in perspective, an actual Ozzie renovation show like the "The Block" gets ratings over a mill.

All these home fix-up shows are a "but shut", TBH, but if that's your thing, enjoy!

Last edited by kiap on Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:11 am 

Jeff the Bear wrote:
shanky wrote:
Reductio ad Kiwidum

Your blatant attempts to ingratiate yourself with you Kiwi bretheren is duly noted.

:P

Last edited by shanky on Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:12 am 

Dumbledore wrote:
Quote:
Most Australians would dismiss any talk of "fair play" or of "the spirit of the game" or of "sportsmanship" as the talk of "losers" or, at best, hopelessly old-fashioned. A deliberate aggressiveness is thought to be the key to success and, when victory is won, an excessive triumphalism is expected as the appropriate Australian response.

And, if a David Warner or Nick Kyrgios is criticised for bad behaviour, most Australians would defend them and their actions as long as they win - indeed, as with sledging, the bad behaviour is seen as an essential part of a winning strategy.

None of this might matter if it were a purely sporting phenomenon. But attitudes such as these, seen in sport, are (predictably enough, given the important place occupied by sport in Australian society) sadly reflective of the attitudes that increasingly imbue Australian society as a whole.

Individual Australians can be the nicest people in the world, but I am sure I am not alone in having noticed an increasing intolerance of other views, an unwillingness to consider the interest of others, and a harder-edged nationalism in the voice and face that Australia now displays to the rest of the world, and not least to their friends.

They know their audience, though.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:18 am 

I haven’t read the article yet; how many paragraphs before underarm is mentioned?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:25 am 

Dumbledore wrote:
Quote:

Progressive, you forgot progressive :thumbup:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:27 am 

Dumbledore wrote:
mr bungle wrote:
There's only the odd standout knobhead sportsperson, IMO. How is Kyrgios perceived in Aus? He has one of the lamest temperaments of any sportsperson I've seen. Total wanker.

:lol: What? He's fine. Anyone who winds the tennis pearl-clutchers up is generally doing something right.

Nothing fine about a troubled fuckstick of a kid acting the total cunt. :? If it was a school playground he'd either be ostracised, beaten up or both.

As Kiap says, he's finally showing some grace and humility. And he'll win knockers over if he's truly turned a new leaf.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:29 am 

Bindi wrote:
I haven’t read the article yet; how many paragraphs before underarm is mentioned?

Paragraph 3, line 1.

A sign of maturity that it's been relegated from the headline IMO.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:33 am 

mr bungle wrote:
Dumbledore wrote:
Quote:

Progressive, you forgot progressive :thumbup:

Good point. It was exciting to hear that there's no such thing in racism in New Zealand, stirred the soul.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:35 am 

mr bungle wrote:
Dumbledore wrote:
mr bungle wrote:

Nothing fine about a troubled fuckstick of a kid acting the total cunt. :? If it was a school playground he'd either be ostracised, beaten up or both.

As Kiap says, he's finally showing some grace and humility. And he'll win knockers over if he's truly turned a new leaf.

I dunno about humility ... but he has cleaned his act up somewhat.

Players in individual sports, by definition, need to have an ego. So long as it's kept under self-control most of the time, all is well.

But if they can learn how to fake humility while they're at it (shout out to Roger), they've got it made.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:38 am 

mr bungle wrote:
Dumbledore wrote:
mr bungle wrote:

What's troubled about him? He just doesn't much like playing tennis, and who can really blame him? It'd be a miserable job. Richard Cooke had a pretty good profile on him in the latest Monthly, worth a look - https://www.themonthly.com.au/issue/201 ... alent-burn

He's significantly less of a plum than, say, Serena Williams. Or to go back into the Australian archives, Our Leyton.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:04 am 

keep your false chompers in Wambers not every one is here to "have a go m8" ;)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:19 am 

True Blue wrote:
Nah, just their cricket team.

Their other teams are ok. Cricket team has a history of cvnts though.

Difference is they current team are living off the glory of past teams.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:43 am 

Quote:
I am not alone in having noticed an increasing intolerance of other views, an unwillingness to consider the interest of others, and a harder-edged nationalism

I wonder if this thread will throw up perfectly accurate examples of this trend, strengthening the writer's point without even a hint of irony :thumbup:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:52 am 

naki wrote:
Quote:
I am not alone in having noticed an increasing intolerance of other views, an unwillingness to consider the interest of others, and a harder-edged nationalism

I wonder if this thread will throw up perfectly accurate examples of this trend, strengthening the writer's point without even a hint of irony :thumbup:

WHAT THE FUCK DO YOU MEAN BY THAT, DICKHEAD!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:55 am 

Should have said kiwi - or preferably keewee - dickhead for the full grievy effect.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:01 am 

naki wrote:
Quote:

The point is not whether Australians have, in our own self-interested way, told a few New Zealanders (and others) to "nick orf". That is acknowledged.

It's about the needy lack of unzid self awareness.

New Zealanders can be the nicest people in the world, individually, but their collective hypocrisy is unbounded.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:11 am 

Should have said kiwi - or preferably keewee - dickhead for the full grievy effect.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:20 am 

naki wrote:

How's that Kiwi (or preferably Keewee) war victim refugee program going, naks?

Can you check with Jacinda and get back to us - I think she said there was an "intention" to raise it to a whopping 1500!

I know she tried to nick a few folk away from Manus, in a bit of a virtue-signalling diversion, but they're already spoken for.

You New Zealanders should be out in the refugee camps gettin' yer own.

Be good to know how that's tracking.

Chur.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:27 am 

Can you please stop lumping in all kiwis with the likes of Scottish crotch face Gregor Paul and this British MP TwatFace Whathisname who may have been born in Godszone but is clearly a pom.

Do agree about the underarm thing though. I don't want to end up like the Welsh and still hear the whinging about some match in 1953. Any mention of the underarm from this point on should result in immediate exile.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:31 am 

kiap wrote:
naki wrote:

Can you check with Jacinda and get back to us - I think she said there was an "intention" to raise it to a whopping 1500!

I know she tried to nick a few folk away from Manus, in a bit of a virtue-signalling diversion, but they're already spoken for.

Chur.

Saint Jacinda would never do such a thing. She's perfect. Totally Perfect. Did you know she's pregnant and awesome and, like, totally cool? I cannot wait to read the next gushing article about this incredible woman that got a third of the vote.

And her new aged husband is super awesome also. I read it at stuff.co.nz so it's fact.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:38 am 

kiap wrote:
naki wrote:

Chur.

Why?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:44 am 

True Blue wrote:
Can you please stop lumping in all kiwis with the likes of Scottish crotch face Gregor Paul and this British MP TwatFace Whathisname who may have been born in Godszone but is clearly a pom.

It's not just those guys? It's nearly every NZ journalist with a platform. Someone posted some waffle from Duncan Johnstone in the cricket thread where he was wringing his hands, lamenting that David Warner was essentially the devil and everything that comes his way is all his fault etc.

Is it some journalistic rite of passage over there? You can't be considered a proper journalist in NZ until you climb onto that moral high horse and sniff down at the brutes from "over the ditch" with a lengthy article about how Australians are horrible people? I suppose it's a better method than kicking the shit out of a woman but still keeping your job as an industry leader...

I also understand that, to many kiwis, an article about how nasty Australians are is like blood in the water. An article about Aussies is going to get those clicks. Those delicious clicks that all journalists these days hang their hats on. You've heard of the term low hanging fruit? Well, an article about nasty Aussies is a potato.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:53 am 

naki wrote:
kiap wrote:
naki wrote:

Chur.

Why?

It's okay, we understand. Others are taking more of the load.

Sometimes there is a hard-edged national motivation that results in an unwillingness to consider the interest of others.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:05 am 

kiap wrote:
naki wrote:
kiap wrote:
naki wrote:

Chur.

Why?

Sometimes there is a hard-edged national motivation that results in an unwillingness to consider the interest of others.

Oh, you were whataboutering.

I should have known. :thumbup:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:10 am 

naki wrote:
kiap wrote:
naki wrote:
kiap wrote:
naki wrote:

Chur.
Why?

Oh, you were whataboutering.

I should have known. :thumbup:

Directly addressing the OP, my friend.

In fact, I've taken phrases from Sneaker's quoting, verbatim. :thumbup:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:12 am 

It seems this is a particular bug bear of Gould’s. Take this totally not made up incident with a barista last year;

Quote:
My wife and I have often enjoyed holidays in Australia. A year or two ago, we returned to Noosa, and visited a café where we remembered having had good coffee a year earlier.

As he handed us our coffees, I asked the barista whether he was the Kiwi we recalled having met there briefly on our previous visit. To my surprise, he stiffened, glared at me and said through clenched teeth, “I’m a proud Australian”, and stalked off. We drank our coffees and did not return.

It prompted me to wonder, however, what had led him to react as though an innocent inquiry had grievously insulted him?

http://www.bryangould.com/is-there-any- ... hostility/

Sounds like Australians are very evil. Even gets a dig in about Super Rugby at the end. I wonder why he’s getting all this hostility?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:15 am 

[quote="kiap”]
Directly addressing the OP, my friend.

In fact, I've taken phrases from Sneaker's quoting, verbatim. :thumbup:[/quote]

whataboutery is directly addressing now?

Awesome. I’m going to have plenty of fun with that from now on I’m sure.

Edit: urgh farked up the quote function

Last edited by naki on Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:17 am 

I haven't read any other thread but have we covered the point that Warner loves to dish out but can't handle the Jandle back at him?

:roll:

He is the epitome of the bundy-fuelled little gobshite who's always up for a "Punch-on" in certain drinking establishments.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:17 am 

I'd have thought it'd be dead simple to spot a Kiwi barista given how smug they all are.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:22 am 

Jay Cee Gee wrote:
I'd have thought it'd be dead simple to spot a Kiwi barista given how smug they all are.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:34 am 

naki wrote:
It seems this is a particular bug bear of Gould’s. Take this totally not made up incident with a barista last year;

Quote:
My wife and I have often enjoyed holidays in Australia. A year or two ago, we returned to Noosa, and visited a café where we remembered having had good coffee a year earlier.

As he handed us our coffees, I asked the barista whether he was the Kiwi we recalled having met there briefly on our previous visit. To my surprise, he stiffened, glared at me and said through clenched teeth, “I’m a proud Australian”, and stalked off. We drank our coffees and did not return.

It prompted me to wonder, however, what had led him to react as though an innocent inquiry had grievously insulted him?

http://www.bryangould.com/is-there-any- ... hostility/

Sounds like Australians are very evil. Even gets a dig in about Super Rugby at the end. I wonder why he’s getting all this hostility?

That's amazing.

I like how he's adding a little bit of everything into the mix.

Quote:
And that is especially so when a little dose of Aussie racism is added to the mix. In many Australian minds, “Kiwi” means Maori or Polynesian – and that, sadly, is likely to be a further cause of hostility.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:40 am 

Location: End of the road, turn right and first house on the left
Quote:
Caleb Maraku

Coward puncher and soon-to-be repatriatee

He's already back here isn't he? I hope so - the only things I hate about the Oz repatriation policy is that it can take forever and they are kept in a concentration camp while they wait - and that they send people who have been there since they were 2 or 3. They have no support here and they really are an Aussie made problem.

Pricks like this though - well done on getting rid of the turd.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:40 am 

Thomas wrote:
I also understand that, to many kiwis, an article about how nasty Australians are is like blood in the water. An article about Aussies is going to get those clicks.

To be fair, they also know they're gonna get a few clicks from you.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:43 am 

Jay Cee Gee wrote:
Thomas wrote:
I also understand that, to many kiwis, an article about how nasty Australians are is like blood in the water. An article about Aussies is going to get those clicks.

To be fair, they also know they're gonna get a few clicks from you.

Ugh.

I don't click on those links.

Gross.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 125 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next