Chat Forum
It is currently Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:40 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 125 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:48 am 

naki wrote:
kiap wrote:
Directly addressing the OP, my friend.

In fact, I've taken phrases from Sneaker's quoting, verbatim. :thumbup:

whataboutery is directly addressing now?

Let's go through the quoted text.

yer aul mucker wrote:
    None of this might matter if it were a purely sporting phenomenon.

In other words, his moaning about Davey Warner and co. was just clickbait.

As so eloquently outlined by Thomas earlier in this thread. Gould loves Australians, too:

aul mucker wrote:
    Individual Australians can be the nicest people in the world

So no problem there. What he's really concerned about is this...

old mate wrote:
    I am not alone in having noticed an increasing intolerance of other views, an unwillingness to consider the interest of others, and a harder-edged nationalism

Frankly, I share his worry. Right under his nose, the ball has slipped here.

New Zealand's intransigence (over more than a quarter of a century - so it's not just Jacinda) in its unwillingness to consider the increased needs of refugees over it's hard-nosed national self interest in favour of domestic electoral pandering ... is but one example.

It's only though the active opposition from grass-roots folk like us, naki, that will hold those in power to account. :nod:

Last edited by kiap on Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:49 am 

I think we take in too many.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:50 am 

Yup Caleb will be soon punching somebody on the side of the dome in Queen St soon enough :x

I can understand Australia wanting to send these vermin back, we just need a repatriation facility on some offshore island for these plum (I am thinking Raoul)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:53 am 

maxbox wrote:
Yup Caleb will be soon punching somebody on the side of the dome in Queen St soon enough :x

I can understand Australia wanting to send these vermin back, we just need a repatriation facility on some offshore island for these plum (I am thinking Raoul)

Send them all to Auckland*.

*Auckland Island.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:56 am 

Location: End of the road, turn right and first house on the left
Quote:
New Zealand's intransigence (over more than a quarter of a century - so it's not just Jacinda) in its unwillingness to consider the increased needs of refugees over it's hard-nosed national self interest in favour of domestic electoral pandering ... is but one example.

Their needs? - food, shelter and a job? (And a back door to Australia :roll: ;) )

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:59 am 

Enzedder wrote:
Quote:

Their needs? - food, shelter and a job? (And a back door to Australia :roll: ;) )

:lol:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:02 am 

Jay Cee Gee wrote:
maxbox wrote:

Send them all to Auckland*.

*Auckland Island.

Good idea! I hear there is an old abandoned settlement there... it's just crying out for a touch of fresh paint and razor wire fencing

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:06 am 

naki wrote:
It seems this is a particular bug bear of Gould’s. Take this totally not made up incident with a barista last year;

Quote:
My wife and I have often enjoyed holidays in Australia. A year or two ago, we returned to Noosa, and visited a café where we remembered having had good coffee a year earlier.

As he handed us our coffees, I asked the barista whether he was the Kiwi we recalled having met there briefly on our previous visit. To my surprise, he stiffened, glared at me and said through clenched teeth, “I’m a proud Australian”, and stalked off. We drank our coffees and did not return.

It prompted me to wonder, however, what had led him to react as though an innocent inquiry had grievously insulted him?

http://www.bryangould.com/is-there-any- ... hostility/

Sounds like Australians are very evil. Even gets a dig in about Super Rugby at the end. I wonder why he’s getting all this hostility?

He has his own domain :lol:

Also, as the Vice Chancellor of Waikato University and on about 600k a year, I suspect he was probably more outraged that he had to get his own coffee.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:13 am 

It’s terrible here

Acenas/Mutton has even been abused in the street. And he’s an attractive Maori girl.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:14 am 

maxbox wrote:

I've heard some room has popped up on Manus Island.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:33 am 

Love it how a spat between Aussie and SA cricketers has started an NZ vs Aus shitfight.

I grew up hating all things Australian. Wasn't my fault, it was the sporting rivalry that did it. But once I had matured and actually met some fair dinkum Aussies I realised that you Aussies are just like us. Well, not just like us, but overall pretty decent folk. Except your cricketers. They are practically all plums. But we have our own share of plums (hard to believe I know) so we'll call it even huh?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:52 am 

Davedj77 wrote:
Love it how a spat between Aussie and SA cricketers has started an NZ vs Aus shitfight.

I grew up hating all things Australian. Wasn't my fault, it was the sporting rivalry that did it.

Kinda says a lot about the NZ media, doesn't it?

I was the opposite to you. I had no idea there was even a sporting rivalry until I moved to NZ as a 12 year old. I went to play cricket in the backyard with some kids in the neighbourhood and one of their mums yelled out "Are you gonna cheat like every other Australian?" as I was about to bowl. I was like "wtf?"

I went to boarding school in NZ and was ritualistically and brutally beaten for being Australian. Sure, I had a big mouth but I don't think being stuffed into a sleeping bag and beaten with a hockey stick because you accidentally cheered when the Wallabies scored a try in a Bledisloe Cup match is a fitting punishment. Interestingly, I went to boarding school in Australia and there were two Kiwi blokes in my year and no one ever beat the shit out of them....even when NZ won that Bled Clash in 1991.

I see it a lot now too. I've got a good bunch of mates from NZ who my wife and I hang out with and they are generally great value. Just gentle ribbing and all. I've seen the other side of it though, as some guys on here know. My son was sworn at last year because he had the temerity to wear a Wallaby jersey. Got told his team was "fucken shit, bro" by some fat, sausage roll eating kiwi dickhead in hi-vis. My son was 9 at the time. Can you imagine living in another country and having the balls to say something like that? Never in a million years would I even think that's fine. Sitting on the steps of a dairy in some town in NZ and saying that to a kid wearing a Black Caps shirt? You'd get a smack in the chops.

But of course it's just banter, right? Just some general ribbing between trans-tasman cousins that's bordering on a little bit obsessive from one side.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:57 am 

That story has made me very angry.

:x

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:05 am 

shanky wrote:

It's just banter, mate.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:08 am 

Thomas wrote:
shanky wrote:

It's just banter, mate.

:thumbup:

Last edited by shanky on Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:13 am 

Call it bitter envy, chippiness, little brother syndrome, whatever it is, there is no doubt that bagging Australians and Australia is socially acceptable in NZ. I don’t think it will ever change unfortunately. While for the most part it’s good natured (and returned with interest) it doesn’t take much to tip over into something nastier which does not reflect well.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:35 am 

Thomas wrote:
Davedj77 wrote:

I grew up hating all things Australian. Wasn't my fault, it was the sporting rivalry that did it.

I was the opposite to you. I had no idea there was even a sporting rivalry until I moved to NZ as a 12 year old. I went to play cricket in the backyard with some kids in the neighbourhood and one of their mums yelled out "Are you gonna cheat like every other Australian?" as I was about to bowl. I was like "wtf?"

I went to boarding school in NZ and was ritualistically and brutally beaten for being Australian. Sure, I had a big mouth but I don't think being stuffed into a sleeping bag and beaten with a hockey stick because you accidentally cheered when the Wallabies scored a try in a Bledisloe Cup match is a fitting punishment. Interestingly, I went to boarding school in Australia and there were two Kiwi blokes in my year and no one ever beat the shit out of them....even when NZ won that Bled Clash in 1991.

I see it a lot now too. I've got a good bunch of mates from NZ who my wife and I hang out with and they are generally great value. Just gentle ribbing and all. I've seen the other side of it though, as some guys on here know. My son was sworn at last year because he had the temerity to wear a Wallaby jersey. Got told his team was "fucken shit, bro" by some fat, sausage roll eating kiwi dickhead in hi-vis. My son was 9 at the time. Can you imagine living in another country and having the balls to say something like that? Never in a million years would I even think that's fine. Sitting on the steps of a dairy in some town in NZ and saying that to a kid wearing a Black Caps shirt? You'd get a smack in the chops.

But of course it's just banter, right? Just some general ribbing between trans-tasman cousins that's bordering on a little bit obsessive from one side.

"Please, young Thomas with hair, do carry on. Let it all out."

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:38 am 

Wait until we get to the Rorschach test.

"Everything looks like Mr McNab who beat the shit out of me with a sandshoe in the first week of Form 3 for not doing all of my homework..."

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:40 am 

Thomas wrote:

"Everything looks like Mr McNab who beat the shit out of me with a sandshoe in the first week of Form 3 for not doing all of my homework..."

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:41 am 

Ghost-Of-Nepia wrote:
Thomas wrote:

I just googled the old cunt. He's still in Whanganui. I wonder if he still enjoys beating small boys with a discarded Dunlop Volley.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:44 am 

Thomas wrote:
Ghost-Of-Nepia wrote:
Thomas wrote:

I just googled the old cunt. He's still in Whanganui. I wonder if he still enjoys beating small boys with a discarded Dunlop Volley.

I'll send my 84yo grandfather over to give him a hiding. Do you think Mr McNab would mind paying for the taxi from the retirement village to his place? Gramps doesn't drive anymore.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:46 am 

Ghost-Of-Nepia wrote:
Thomas wrote:
Ghost-Of-Nepia wrote:
Thomas wrote:

I'll send my 84yo grandfather over to give him a hiding. Do you think Mr McNab would mind paying for the taxi from the retirement village to his place? Gramps doesn't drive anymore.

I'll pay for it as long as he hits him for every page of that chapter of The Hobbit I didn't read (4 pages).

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:52 am 

Thomas wrote:
Ghost-Of-Nepia wrote:
Thomas wrote:
Ghost-Of-Nepia wrote:
Thomas wrote:

I'll pay for it as long as he hits him for every page of that chapter of The Hobbit I didn't read (4 pages).

There and Back Again?

Sorry, that was a VERY nerdy play on words.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:55 am 

Thomas wrote:
Ghost-Of-Nepia wrote:
Thomas wrote:
Ghost-Of-Nepia wrote:
Thomas wrote:

:shock:

That’s a sacred text from one of New Zealand’s greatest authors.

He should have used steel caps, you insubordinate piece of shit! :x

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:56 am 

naki wrote:

JRR Toking?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:03 am 

Thomas wrote:
Davedj77 wrote:

Our media are f**king appalling. I stopped reading the Herald years ago it was/is so bad. Stuff isn't really any better but I need somewhere to get my news. Our sports journalism in particular is so, so poor. I follow a lot of American sports and their sports journalism, sports shows, pretty much everything to do with sport is so much better. Bleacher Report does some fantastic articles on NBA/NFL in particular. Our sports journos do no reflect how many of us feel...although I am sad to say they do cater to a pretty large part of NZ society.

I'm not surprised you were bullied and beaten in NZ as a kid. Kiwi kids like to bully and beat anyone that is different from them. We had a skinny Dutch kid in our year in High School and boy did he cop it. So don't feel that it is necessarily because you were an Aussie that it happened to you...if you were Tomas from Sveden it probably would have been the same....well similar anyway.

For me personally my attitude towards Aussies is all banter. I'd never seriously insult an Aussie to their face (unless they asked for it or were called David Warner), it would all be in good fun and I'd expect ribbing back. Unfortunately we have enough plums in our country and a lot of them seem to post on PR. Plus you notice the plummy ones more because they are louder and well....plums.

I don't know who would win in a per capita plum off though...both countries are pretty even there I would think.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:17 am 

Ghost-Of-Nepia wrote:
naki wrote:

JRR Toking?

Sir Pete you palestine

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:18 am 

Thomas wrote:

I like how he's adding a little bit of everything into the mix.

Quote:
And that is especially so when a little dose of Aussie racism is added to the mix. In many Australian minds, “Kiwi” means Maori or Polynesian – and that, sadly, is likely to be a further cause of hostility.

That’s Kiap’s MO. :thumbup:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:21 am 

naki wrote:
Call it bitter envy, chippiness, little brother syndrome, whatever it is, there is no doubt that bagging Australians and Australia is socially acceptable in NZ. I don’t think it will ever change unfortunately. While for the most part it’s good natured (and returned with interest) it doesn’t take much to tip over into something nastier which does not reflect well.

Not a fan, personally love the place. But are many Aussies no different with regards to England?

Happens the world over.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:30 am 

mr bungle wrote:
naki wrote:

Not a fan, personally love the place. But are many Aussies no different with regards to England?

Happens the world over.

I honestly doubt any Australian man who'd have the gall to start slagging off a random English kid in, say, Yorkshire or Liverpool because he was wearing an England rugby jersey.

NZ rugby fans are fast turning into the rugby equivalent of Indian cricket fans.

You can be reading an article about the coaching set up of the Australian Super Rugby teams on an Australian website and there's always more than a few comments like "HAHAHAHA Aussie have no chance. Gonna get blown away by the kiwi teams lol" It's like reading the comments on the Cricket.com.au FB page... nothing but Kohli. And yes, we've talked about it...rugby is the most popular sport in NZ and you get a greater representation of dickheads but it isn't half weird. The media certainly doesn't help.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:37 am 

Yeah that's all well and good Thommo but I reckon things would be a lot different in butt f*ck nowhere Australia (i.e the Aussie equivalent to Whanganui) let's get real here m8

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:37 am 

Many of our brown brothers get carried away, Thomas. Check an Oz rugby FB feed and they’re all over it.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:40 am 

Thomas wrote:
mr bungle wrote:
naki wrote:

Happens the world over.

I honestly doubt any Australian man who'd have the gall to start slagging off a random English kid in, say, Yorkshire or Liverpool because he was wearing an England rugby jersey.

Agreed. An English cricket shirt on the other hand...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:41 am 

Thomas wrote:
Ghost-Of-Nepia wrote:
Thomas wrote:

The ancient Scottish twat was the head of PE way back when I was there in the mid '70s. Let's just say we never got along.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:52 am 

SecretAgentMan wrote:
Thomas wrote:
Ghost-Of-Nepia wrote:
Thomas wrote:

The ancient Scottish twat was the head of PE way back when I was there in the mid '70s. Let's just say we never got along.

He was my English AND PE teacher and he hated my guts right up until cross country when he found out I could run.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:00 am 

Thomas wrote:
SecretAgentMan wrote:
Thomas wrote:
Ghost-Of-Nepia wrote:
Thomas wrote:

He was my English AND PE teacher and he hated my guts right up until cross country when he found out I could run.

Glad I never had him for English! I didn't get the sandshoe but the prick caned me a couple of times.

Was Gibbs still the head of music when you were there?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:06 am 

No they had this real foppish English guy (late 20's, early 30's) who had the hots for Margaret Thatcher. I was in the choir so I had to deal with him 4 times a week minimum. I got kicked out 3/4 of the way through the year when my voice started breaking.

Weirdly, I was on the radio with a comedian guy I kinda know a few weeks ago. We got given a topic and had 30 minutes to prepare a story and his story was about how he moved to NZ from India as a kid and how he got bullied. Turns out we both went to the same schools (St George Prep and Collegiate) a few years apart and had lived in the same street.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:16 am 

I didn't go to St Georges, but my brother hated it (still does, with a passion). He reckoned the HM Geoff Austin used to employ particularly sadistic punishments. Coincidentally, the sprog won the GF Austin Academic Scholarship that covered the 7 years she was at St Georges and WCS.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:17 am 

wamberal99 wrote:
Farking wonderful how these needy Keewees love to flood into any thread which criticises their big bruvver.

How many of the buggers are over here sucking on the Ozzie teat?

I think you meant to write "performing with excellence in their jobs and contributing to our economy?".

You're welcome.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:19 am 

SecretAgentMan wrote:
I didn't go to St Georges, but my brother hated it (still does, with a passion). He reckoned the HM Geoff Austin used to employ particularly sadistic punishments. Coincidentally, the sprog won the GF Austin Academic Scholarship that covered the 7 years she was at St Georges and WCS.

I quite liked the year I had there. I was living in the States for the previous 2 years so I was a novelty. A gobby Australian kid with a weird accent. I had the biggest crush on a girl there. The kind of crush that made going to school one of the best and worst things in your life.

"Ohhhhh there's Justine Player. I hope she sees me...oh, she's walking away. Next time..."

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 125 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next