Chat Forum
It is currently Sun Nov 17, 2019 4:30 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 260 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:31 am 

I am 62.

Fitter than I have been for a long time. I have had back and other issues, but since I have retired I have a daily routine which involves 16 to 17 k steps (of which roughly 3k steps is carrying 10 - 15kg, and another 3 - 4k steps are uphill, so a decent amount of elevated breathing. Plus most days I will be doing some form of lifting (feed bags, logs etc). Lots of relatively light exercise has made a huge difference, including a massive drop in blood pressure. After dropping a lot, my weight has barely changed for a year, but I have changed shape and have had to invest in braces.

Still usually make it through the night in a oner, but have a propensity for falling asleep if I sit in a comfy chair after lunch.

Still waiting for the fabled testicle drop, but hair everywhere, recovery from an injury takes for ever and I do not react well to too much alcohol.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:31 am 

When did people start doing the Herculean effort when reaching for something thing?

Mine started when I was 38 - on sofa, go to reach for tv remote, “hhhhrerrrrggggghhhh !” Like its a feckin Atlas stone !

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:44 am 

globus wrote:
feckwanker wrote:
globus wrote:
It's OK. I have lovely grand-daughters whom I'm trying to teach.

Got M on the recorder to start with.

The biggest hassle is getting to Raynes Park from Oundle and back.

Our last effort back took six hours. If only people could avoid crashes, that would help.

Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

Well, the latest is that The Management crashed into my drum kit.

I have now a few cables to reconnect before I can start again.

The good news is that she is up in work at Stamford. Otherwise she'd be trying to prize my hands out of her neck.

Interesting. Tell me more.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:51 am 

I'm old. Been about a bit. But you'd never clock my age on sight.

The nice lass in the coffee shop had a go. She was miles out.

Thankfully way down the list.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:58 am 

Flockwitt wrote:
maxbox wrote:
I have debilitating gout at 33 :( I still can't walk after st paddies day

Get that sorted straight away. Get on the pills and stay on them. I am very serious, it's important. :!:

For me the kicker is the bloody wind... farting and burping like a freight train especially in the morning as the digestive system changes. Everything else I saw coming...

Really? :( I get it occasionally and have done for the past few years. Well at least I think it's gout. Severe toe/foot pain and the affected area gets hot as fudge. I've never bothered going to the docs because I can still hobble about. My old man suffers with it so assumed I'd get it one day. From your post I assume ignoring it is a bit stupid?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:59 am 

Reduced bone density and muscle mass is a getting older affliction. Can anyone a bit old than I (39), report on that? I know exercise and lifting weights helps in that regard but interested in how you notice it / the effects.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:00 pm 

globus wrote:

Well aren't you the one? Bet I could.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:01 pm 

One day you will come home with a Karcher Pressure Washer and use it obsessively for a weekend or so.
You will decide that you need a new drill and come back with a top of the range battery drill with (Oohh , Hammer action!).
You will spend idle moments leafing through tje Screwfix Catalogue before moving on to the sheer hardcore that is the Machine Mart one.
It will all end with you buying a new shed!!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:04 pm 

Uncle Fester wrote:
#1 long itchy nostril hairs that cause you to pass out when you pluck them

I get the occasional one of these, surely you've been getting them for a long time?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:04 pm 

HighKingLeinster wrote:
Hangovers lasting 2-3 days x(

This, coupled with getting them after you've collapsed in a heap at 10.30pm on a Friday night.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:05 pm 

SaintK wrote:
globus wrote:

OK. Have a go. This could be fun.

Never one to crawl away I might pop a pic up.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:07 pm 

If I drive for longer than an hour or sit with my R knee bent watching rugby it really starts to ache/lock up :(

Everything hurts and I require about a 5 minute walk before I feel vaguely operational...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:12 pm 

Edinburgh01 wrote:
I am 62.

Fitter than I have been for a long time. I have had back and other issues, but since I have retired I have a daily routine which involves 16 to 17 k steps (of which roughly 3k steps is carrying 10 - 15kg, and another 3 - 4k steps are uphill, so a decent amount of elevated breathing. Plus most days I will be doing some form of lifting (feed bags, logs etc). Lots of relatively light exercise has made a huge difference, including a massive drop in blood pressure. After dropping a lot, my weight has barely changed for a year, but I have changed shape and have had to invest in braces.

Excessively sedentary lifestyles are really bad for your body. Humans are made to move, not keep still with poor posture.
Lots of the aching and shit you get with age is related to a lifetime of inadequate exercise/stretching etc. Obviously some stuff is age related like loss of muscle and bone density, but this can be countered with the kind of exercise you mention.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:14 pm 

Openside wrote:
If I drive for longer than an hour or sit with my R knee bent watching rugby it really starts to ache/lock up :(

Everything hurts and I require about a 5 minute walk before I feel vaguely operational...

Hello. Getting elderly person.

Everything I used to do so well has dissolved.

I just have to accept it and struggle along.

Get the bagpipes out and give them a blow.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:15 pm 

globus wrote:
SaintK wrote:
globus wrote:

68 and I've never seen you :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:17 pm 

Openside wrote:

Well, if you'd driven everywhere instead of running when you were younger, you wouldn't have this problem now!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:21 pm 

globus wrote:
SaintK wrote:
globus wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:22 pm 

I feel a bit intimidated.

The silly thing is that I take the pictures. so I am pretty well absent from the shots.

I shall have a dig.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:27 pm 

globus wrote:

The silly thing is that I take the pictures. so I am pretty well absent from the shots.

I shall have a dig.

Just do another challenge to people to find out your identity. From there it's elementary.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:30 pm 

Another thread globused.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:31 pm 

backrow wrote:
Another thread globused.

My fault, I engaged!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:41 pm 

SaintK wrote:
backrow wrote:
Another thread globused.

My fault, I engaged!

Reported

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:53 pm 

Flockwitt wrote:
maxbox wrote:

Get that sorted straight away. Get on the pills and stay on them. I am very serious, it's important. :!:

For me the kicker is the bloody wind... farting and burping like a freight train especially in the morning as the digestive system changes. Everything else I saw coming...

I'd go the diet and exercise route first. Hydration is very important and if you like grapefruit it's a natural cure for it. Taking pills every day? Fook that

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:04 pm 

Nolanator wrote:
Excessively sedentary lifestyles are really bad for your body. Humans are made to move, not keep still with poor posture.
Lots of the aching and shit you get with age is related to a lifetime of inadequate exercise/stretching etc.

Obviously some stuff is age related like loss of muscle and bone density, but this can be countered with the kind of exercise you mention.

All of 1st paragraph.

Not so convinced on 2nd. Isn't age related bone density mainly a female phenomena? What I can report with muscle is that it's far easier to lose and far harder to regain with age although the regain could well be less desire/motivation to crank out 50km a week rowing!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:20 pm 

Steamin Beamin wrote:
Flockwitt wrote:
maxbox wrote:

Really? :( I get it occasionally and have done for the past few years. Well at least I think it's gout. Severe toe/foot pain and the affected area gets hot as fudge. I've never bothered going to the docs because I can still hobble about. My old man suffers with it so assumed I'd get it one day. From your post I assume ignoring it is a bit stupid?

You need to get in diagnosed. Blood test for that. But if your dad had it chances are high. Unfortunately it will probably only get worse so get on the medication. Once you have had a bad attack you will be grateful for anything that makes the pain go away. Get a list of high purine foods and find out which ones trigger an attack and eliminate them. Oh and be prepared for loads of sh*t jokes about your Victorian Gentleman's diet etc

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:28 pm 

Poshprop wrote:
Steamin Beamin wrote:
Flockwitt wrote:
maxbox wrote:

You need to get in diagnosed. Blood test for that. But if your dad had it chances are high. Unfortunately it will probably only get worse so get on the medication. Once you have had a bad attack you will be grateful for anything that makes the pain go away. Get a list of high purine foods and find out which ones trigger an attack and eliminate them. Oh and be prepared for loads of sh*t jokes about your Victorian Gentleman's diet etc

Damn. Knowing my luck it will be one of my favourite foods. I best get to the doctors then.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:37 pm 

Anti inflammatories rock. Difene is wonderful stuff, but it can have devastating effects including horribly explosive and loud bowel movements.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:38 pm 

Get on allopurinol it will sort you out

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:45 pm 

globus wrote:

I shall have a dig.

Everybody will have a dig.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:46 pm 

Torquemada 1420 wrote:
Nolanator wrote:
Lots of the aching and shit you get with age is related to a lifetime of inadequate exercise/stretching etc.

Obviously some stuff is age related like loss of muscle and bone density, but this can be countered with the kind of exercise you mention.

All of 1st paragraph.

Not so convinced on 2nd. Isn't age related bone density mainly a female phenomena? What I can report with muscle is that it's far easier to lose and far harder to regain with age although the regain could well be less desire/motivation to crank out 50km a week rowing!

Well I’m physically active every day and I’m fooked- reckon I’d be in better nick working in an office :thumbup:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:54 pm 

I'm 52 and apart from a dodgy Knee which is a souvenir of my playing days I feel pretty ok , I lost around 60lbs in weight a while back and the increased fitness level seems to have staved off some of the ailments described in this thread.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:01 pm 

I'm 50 this year and can still easily polish a bottle of hard tack in a sitting. I will also be running 100 km's over the weekend.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:11 pm 

Captain Scarlet wrote:
Anti inflammatories rock. Difene is wonderful stuff, but it can have devastating effects including horribly explosive and loud bowel movements.

You can take a tablet with the difene(omeprazole teva 10mg) which is supposed to protect the stomach.
Arcoxia is supposed to be milder than difene but I don't find it so.
Edit Omeprazole teva :blush:

Last edited by lorcanoworms on Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:13 pm 

globus wrote:

I think we can all forgive her for assuming you were a teenage girl.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:43 pm 

Poshprop wrote:
Steamin Beamin wrote:
Flockwitt wrote:
maxbox wrote:

I have suffered from Gout on and off for about 5 years, extremely painful, it is caused by the buildup of Uric acid which crystalises in the joints. Some of the drugs they prescribe can be fairly tough as well. I did a lot of research and found a very fast acting old fashioned cure (within 24 hours). Bicarbonate of soda (sometimes called sodium bicarbonate), one heaped teaspoonful stirred into a glass of water first thing in the morning AS SOON AS YOU FEEL THE FIRST TINGES. It neutralises the acid in your system. Works extremely well. Be aware however - don't take it at night and remain within reach of a loo for an hour and a half after taking it. (the neutralisation of acid produces a lot of gas and can liquidise the contents of your bowels). But it works! - no need to stay on the tough drugs.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:51 pm 

naki wrote:
globus wrote:

I think we can all forgive her for assuming you were a teenage girl.

But how do you explain the lack of selfies

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:56 pm 

Just re gout - check you don’t have an extra bone in your foot: I had gout attacks but were in outstep of foot, not a toe or ankle , and eat pretty healthily genereally - turns out I have an extra bone in my foot which occurs in 15% or people and normally makes no impact on anything.
I also choose comfy footwear now only, lots of old man cushioning and padding .

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:56 pm 

blackdog wrote:
Poshprop wrote:
Steamin Beamin wrote:
Flockwitt wrote:
maxbox wrote:

I have suffered from Gout on and off for about 5 years, extremely painful, it is caused by the buildup of Uric acid which crystalises in the joints. Some of the drugs they prescribe can be fairly tough as well. I did a lot of research and found a very fast acting old fashioned cure (within 24 hours). Bicarbonate of soda (sometimes called sodium bicarbonate), one heaped teaspoonful stirred into a glass of water first thing in the morning AS SOON AS YOU FEEL THE FIRST TINGES. It neutralises the acid in your system. Works extremely well. Be aware however - don't take it at night and remain within reach of a loo for an hour and a half after taking it. (the neutralisation of acid produces a lot of gas and can liquidise the contents of your bowels). But it works! - no need to stay on the tough drugs.

I've been on allopurinol for well over 10 years now (diagnosed 16 years ago) and never noticed any side effects and not aware of any long term problems with it. Allopurinol for me is a lifesaver, it has considerably lowered the amount of gout attacks I have had. And for that I am bloody grateful

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:58 pm 

DragsterDriver wrote:
Torquemada 1420 wrote:
Nolanator wrote:

All of 1st paragraph.

Well I’m physically active every day and I’m fooked- reckon I’d be in better nick working in an office :thumbup:

There's a balance to be struck. Sports injuries obviously don't help things.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:58 pm 

backrow wrote:
Just re gout - check you don’t have an extra bone in your foot: I had gout attacks but were in outstep of foot, not a toe or ankle , and eat pretty healthily genereally - turns out I have an extra bone in my foot which occurs in 15% or people and normally makes no impact on anything.
I also choose comfy footwear now only, lots of old man cushioning and padding .

Only applicable to those in the Forest of Dean

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 260 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next