Chat Forum
It is currently Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:45 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 959 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 24  Next
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:23 am 

Thomas wrote:
Apparently I am a coward if I don't march down to my local mosque and start a fight with people.

Utterly bizarre logic.

I read that as local morgue first. I thought you could have an easy win there Thomas.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:26 am 

Or he wants them to fire him and them for him to quit. Avoid payout

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:27 am 

CrazyIslander wrote:

Either way, for the good of the game he has to go.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:31 am 

SecretAgentMan wrote:
CrazyIslander wrote:

Sure mate

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:33 am 

CrazyIslander wrote:
SecretAgentMan wrote:
CrazyIslander wrote:

Sure mate

Glad we can agree on this much at least. :thumbup:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:45 am 

SecretAgentMan wrote:
CrazyIslander wrote:
SecretAgentMan wrote:
CrazyIslander wrote:

Sure mate

Are we still talking about Thomas and fighting at the morgue?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:40 am 

Farva wrote:
Thomas wrote:
Apparently I am a coward if I don't march down to my local mosque and start a fight with people.

Utterly bizarre logic.

I read that as local morgue first. I thought you could have an easy win there Thomas.

:lol:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:46 am 

Farva wrote:
SecretAgentMan wrote:
CrazyIslander wrote:
SecretAgentMan wrote:
CrazyIslander wrote:

Sure mate

Are we still talking about Thomas and fighting at the morgue?

I sure hope so.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:03 am 

SecretAgentMan wrote:
CrazyIslander wrote:

It's what Princess Diana would have wanted.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:19 am 

Wilson's Toffee wrote:
Toro wrote:
It's certainly turned out to be an interesting discussion and I find it interesting that some still see such talk as different from being racist or sexist. Does freedom of speech allow anyone to post racist comments and where is the line that makes it hate speech and unacceptable in today's world? When we talk of equality you could generally boil it down to three themes/topics that get discussed. Gender, Sexual Orientation and Race (with a loose modern definition)

Why does basing it on religious beliefs get you a pass? I don't think what he posted was as bad as the media and some journalists have made out, I said from the start that he would only offend those gays that believe in hell anyway. I don't find what he said offensive, but I do this you can reduce his comment to publicly stating that being Gay is wrong. Which in some way I think is worse than being racist and sexist which deals more with thinking another group is inferior.

Quote:
The Committee of Ministers of the Council of Europe recommendations CM/Rec(2010)5 on combating discrimination on grounds of sexual orientation and gender identity and specially the Recommendation R(97)20 on “hate speech” provides a strong basis for action and call for measures to combat ‘inciting, spreading or promoting hatred or other forms of discrimination against lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender persons, including in the media and on the Internet’. However, these two legal instruments also remind us that all measures should respect the fundamental right to freedom of expression in accordance with Article 10 of the Convention and the case law of the Court. Freedom of expression argues that the most effective response to hate speech is more speech, and states have a role in ensuring that all voices in a debate can be heard - including the voices of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) people, without fearing violence. Yet at the same time, states should clearly prohibit the advocacy of homophobic or transphobic hatred that constitutes incitement to imminent hostility,

Not really arguing anything with the quote but it's just an example of the recognition that some people would like a line to be drawn between free speech and hate speech. I don't think Izzy's post is hate speech but in his position it was certainly a declaration that he thinks (whether it's his God's will or not) that homosexuality is wrong, and this undermines so much that we are working for in society these days in terms of equality.

When a sinner repents all is equal.

EDIT : And Issy was taught that we are ALL sinners, not only gays and murderers and thieves and fornicaters and people wearing mixed clothing or dacncing on the shabbat or whatever. ...

This whole thing is blown out of context.

It has been blown out all proportion IMO.

I think it different to racism, or several 'isms

Whatever one's views on religion, the concept of repenting is consistent with the form of Christianity that Folau adheres to.

"What is your view on Chinese people, Izzy?"
"They are going to Hell unless they stop being Chinese"

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:38 am 

Mick Mannock wrote:
Wilson's Toffee wrote:
Toro wrote:
It's certainly turned out to be an interesting discussion and I find it interesting that some still see such talk as different from being racist or sexist. Does freedom of speech allow anyone to post racist comments and where is the line that makes it hate speech and unacceptable in today's world? When we talk of equality you could generally boil it down to three themes/topics that get discussed. Gender, Sexual Orientation and Race (with a loose modern definition)

Why does basing it on religious beliefs get you a pass? I don't think what he posted was as bad as the media and some journalists have made out, I said from the start that he would only offend those gays that believe in hell anyway. I don't find what he said offensive, but I do this you can reduce his comment to publicly stating that being Gay is wrong. Which in some way I think is worse than being racist and sexist which deals more with thinking another group is inferior.

Quote:
The Committee of Ministers of the Council of Europe recommendations CM/Rec(2010)5 on combating discrimination on grounds of sexual orientation and gender identity and specially the Recommendation R(97)20 on “hate speech” provides a strong basis for action and call for measures to combat ‘inciting, spreading or promoting hatred or other forms of discrimination against lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender persons, including in the media and on the Internet’. However, these two legal instruments also remind us that all measures should respect the fundamental right to freedom of expression in accordance with Article 10 of the Convention and the case law of the Court. Freedom of expression argues that the most effective response to hate speech is more speech, and states have a role in ensuring that all voices in a debate can be heard - including the voices of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) people, without fearing violence. Yet at the same time, states should clearly prohibit the advocacy of homophobic or transphobic hatred that constitutes incitement to imminent hostility,

Not really arguing anything with the quote but it's just an example of the recognition that some people would like a line to be drawn between free speech and hate speech. I don't think Izzy's post is hate speech but in his position it was certainly a declaration that he thinks (whether it's his God's will or not) that homosexuality is wrong, and this undermines so much that we are working for in society these days in terms of equality.

When a sinner repents all is equal.

EDIT : And Issy was taught that we are ALL sinners, not only gays and murderers and thieves and fornicaters and people wearing mixed clothing or dacncing on the shabbat or whatever. ...

This whole thing is blown out of context.

Whatever one's views on religion, the concept of repenting is consistent with the form of Christianity that Folau adheres to.

Izzy is free to have his views on sexuality. What he has said is certainly not inclusive though. It might be that its his religion but why should that give him a free ride without criticism.
What he has said publicly, is at direct odds with his employers values that are being pushed from a corporate level, and by the major sponsors of his corporation. These organisations believe that an inclusive message is important to their revenue and corporate profile. If Izzy is challenging that (and there is an association between what he says, RA and the sponsors) then quite rightly the sponsors will be reassessing their connection to RA. If they do that, RA will lose out. If RA consider it better value to cut Izzy (and I assume that they have a clause in the contract that allows them to do that) and retain the sponsors then so be it. Otherwise they might consider it better to cut the sponsor and keep Izzy. Given its a major sponsor, Id have my money on the former.

Izzy is more than welcome to say whatever he wants. But if he wants to get a paycheck from RA he needs to abide by their rules. One of those is inclusion. Its not blown out of proportion as it has hit the headlines in Australia and corporations might well be considering negative reputational risk through that.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:23 am 

Thomas wrote:
I have nearly five times the number of Twitter followers than Dave.

As such, I am smarterer than Dave and know all about the Falool biz.

Anyone know where Dave was tweeting from? If it was in the pub then it's over for Izzy. Tweets do not come more authorative than that.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:24 am 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:33 am 

Toro wrote:
I find it interesting that some still see such talk as different from being racist or sexist.

I don't see a huge difference. Bar the details.

Toro wrote:
Does freedom of speech allow anyone to post racist comments

Yes.

Toro wrote:
Why does basing it on religious beliefs get you a pass?

A pass from what? Being heavily critisized, losing respect in the eyes of the nation/world, possibly losing your job? It doesn't.

Toro wrote:
Not really arguing anything with the quote but it's just an example of the recognition that some people would like a line to be drawn between free speech and hate speech. I don't think Izzy's post is hate speech ... <snip>

The quote was fine, and perfectly correct: the answer to bad speech is not silencing it. The answer is better speech.

What's hate speech? What is hate speech to you is clearly not hate speech to me. Case in point, I regard what Folau said as hate speech. What is Donald Trump's definition of hate speech? Anything that critisizes Donald Trump?

You can't say, "you're not allowed to even mention that or that or <insert my definition of "hate speech" here>. It's a criminal offence to even utter it.". That's treading a very dangerous line. You can say whatever you like. And you can cop the social repurcussions. But we can't have the state enforcing silence on any issue. That is not acceptable imo.

If you banned people from even saying what Folau said, you'd also have to ban people from reading aloud The Bible or the Koran or any many of other books. When does the state start burning them to enforce that?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:45 am 

Farva wrote:
Mick Mannock wrote:

Izzy is free to have his views on sexuality. What he has said is certainly not inclusive though. It might be that its his religion but why should that give him a free ride without criticism.
What he has said publicly, is at direct odds with his employers values that are being pushed from a corporate level, and by the major sponsors of his corporation. These organisations believe that an inclusive message is important to their revenue and corporate profile. If Izzy is challenging that (and there is an association between what he says, RA and the sponsors) then quite rightly the sponsors will be reassessing their connection to RA. If they do that, RA will lose out. If RA consider it better value to cut Izzy (and I assume that they have a clause in the contract that allows them to do that) and retain the sponsors then so be it. Otherwise they might consider it better to cut the sponsor and keep Izzy. Given its a major sponsor, Id have my money on the former.

Izzy is more than welcome to say whatever he wants. But if he wants to get a paycheck from RA he needs to abide by their rules. One of those is inclusion. Its not blown out of proportion as it has hit the headlines in Australia and corporations might well be considering negative reputational risk through that.

Why interfere? Why not let Rugby Australia decide on what suits them ? Ticket sales will tell if theya are right ...

Too many SJWs around, imho.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:56 am 

No-one has impinged on Izzy's access to free speech.

It's not protected in law in Australia by the way so he and the rest of us have no right to free speech. Free speech is a label thrown around by right wing noflakes when common decency gets in the way of their preferred method of attack.

So no-one has actually limited Izzy's expression here. That hasn't happened. He's free to say what he wants.

There may be repercussions but he's perfectly free to say what he wants. Just so you know that.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:01 am 

Last edited by Mog The Almighty on Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:02 am 

Farva wrote:
It might be that its his religion but why should that give him a free ride without criticism.

Obviously it doesn't.

Seems to be strawmen being erected on both sides here.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:10 am 

guy smiley wrote:

It's not protected in law in Australia by the way so he and the rest of us have no right to free speech. Free speech is a label thrown around by right wing noflakes when common decency gets in the way of their preferred method of attack.

So no-one has actually limited Izzy's expression here. That hasn't happened. He's free to say what he wants.

There may be repercussions but he's perfectly free to say what he wants. Just so you know that.

So common decency belongs to/is determined by left wing snowflakes ?
Wow ...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:16 am 

Wilson's Toffee wrote:
guy smiley wrote:

Wow ...

No. Try again.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:24 am 

guy smiley wrote:
Wilson's Toffee wrote:
guy smiley wrote:

Wow ...

No. Try again.

Do you really think he’ll do any better?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:25 am 

wonder if folau supporters here will stand by his side if he calls say a melanesian or aborigines player a Nigg** or an Ab* cause the same person you are defending is the same person defending a book which allows him to say those things without repercussions ..

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:29 am 

rett wrote:

Do you really think he’ll do any better?

Nah, but it keeps him busy and someone, somewhere is grateful.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:52 am 

comets wrote:
wonder if folau supporters here will stand by his side if he calls say a melanesian or aborigines player a Nigg** or an Ab* cause the same person you are defending is the same person defending a book which allows him to say those things without repercussions ..

So Folau have no right to express the truth as he sees it ? Only atheist or non-believers have ?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:59 am 

comets wrote:

Cathy!

Do you think it likely that he would say that all Nigg**s ( your expression) are going to Hell unless they repent?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:01 pm 

He'd be very welcome at QUins as Mike Brown's replacement. We're a very Christian club although ironically we play very gay rugby.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:07 pm 

Wilson's Toffee wrote:
comets wrote:

So Folau have no right to express the truth as he sees it ? Only atheist or non-believers have ?

He has the right to say that. But the same right applies to me calling him and his beliefs abhorrent and homophobic.

Just because you have the right to say something doesn't mean others have to listen or not say anything back.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:21 pm 

Wilson's Toffee wrote:
Farva wrote:
Mick Mannock wrote:

Why interfere? Why not let Rugby Australia decide on what suits them ? Ticket sales will tell if theya are right ...

Too many SJWs around, imho.

Because RA relies on around $40m a year in sponsorship. Its vital to the game

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:23 pm 

Mog The Almighty wrote:
Farva wrote:
It might be that its his religion but why should that give him a free ride without criticism.

Obviously it doesn't.

Not really. An argument being put forward is that as a christian he has a right to express that bexause of his religion (he does) and he then should not have the consequences of that comment because of his religion (he does not).
Its countering an argument

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:49 pm 

Farva wrote:
Mog The Almighty wrote:
Farva wrote:

Obviously it doesn't.

Not really. An argument being put forward is that as a christian he has a right to express that bexause of his religion (he does) and he then should not have the consequences of that comment because of his religion (he does not).

Keep seeing this claim, keep not seeing the example

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:24 pm 

Farva wrote:
Mog The Almighty wrote:
Farva wrote:

Obviously it doesn't.

He should face the consequences.

I simply think that drawing a parallel with racism is false.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:29 pm 

Wilson's Toffee wrote:
comets wrote:

you probably don't understand the definition of "truth" ..

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:32 pm 

comets wrote:
Wilson's Toffee wrote:
comets wrote:

Ad hominem ... Attack the argument, not me.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:37 pm 

comets wrote:
Wilson's Toffee wrote:
comets wrote:

You probably don't understand "as he sees it"

Wilson's Toffee wrote:

Meanwhile, in the space of half a page on another thread:

Wilson's Toffee wrote:
Comprehension problems ? Must be the shit you take to keep on fooling yourself ...

Wilson's Toffee wrote:
Half a brain ... but no, I do not think you even have that, at times...

Wilson's Toffee wrote:
Oomf.... Bokkom ... You've been tackled by a mouse.

Remember to grunt.

"Truth as he sees it" :lol:

That's called an opinion.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:43 pm 

Zakar wrote:

Everyone seems to have one

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:48 pm 

Zakar wrote:

yeah he was mixing up 'truth' with 'opinions' :/

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:49 pm 

Turbogoat wrote:
Wilson's Toffee wrote:

Meanwhile, in the space of half a page on another thread:

Wilson's Toffee wrote:
Comprehension problems ? Must be the shit you take to keep on fooling yourself ...

Wilson's Toffee wrote:
Half a brain ... but no, I do not think you even have that, at times...

Wilson's Toffee wrote:
Oomf.... Bokkom ... You've been tackled by a mouse.

Remember to grunt.

You don't have an argument. You just talk shit.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:50 pm 

I wasn't going to ask for another example, but that's a good one.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 959 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 24  Next